Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Raises Level Cap and Targets Powerleveling in WoW Season of Mastery Beta Update | MMORPG.co

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard Raises Level Cap and Targets Powerleveling in WoW Season of Mastery Beta Update | MMORPG.com

The latest update to World of Warcraft's Season of Mastery beta takes aim at powerleveling, while raising the level cap, and both tweaking and adding raids for the test.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited October 2021
    That's the way to go and not like how some people around here were asking : PLZ NERF MAGE!

Nerfing a class because bots and power level is pathetic.

Edit: Just read this - The Looking For Group tool from Burning Crusade Classic is now present in the Season of Mastery. -

THIS, is AMAZING!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    what in the world is in that image? Is that even from retail WOW?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I knew they wouldn't be able to keep level increases in their pants. That would just not be WOW.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jtckline3jtckline3 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Get real lol, no one is powerleveling except the same tired-ass veteren old players.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    As far as i'm concerned, everyone will be powerleveling in this version of WoW, whether they like it or not. Count me out.
  • DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited October 2021

deniter said:

As far as i'm concerned, everyone will be powerleveling in this version of WoW, whether they like it or not. Count me out.

I find many problems with Classic can be mitigated by playing on an RP-pve server. I do like some of the changes like nerfing aoe and boosting xp. The faster leveling isn't that bad. I currently play on a private server with easy to gain rest xp (through a skill called survival that creates tents that rapidly grant rest xp). Even with x2 mob xp, leveling is still rather slow and helps mostly with alts.

It falls apart fast imo, by catering to the raid crowd, which is what this fast season cycle is about. Likely fine for Classic, if it's treated as a static game (which this does), but I firmly believe Classic+ is the true way to host the game. My vanilla+ server proves this to me without any doubt. Experiencing new, horizontal content, cannot be described. You realize this is the direction Blizzard should have taken, not just now, but way back before they erased the relevancy of the old world starting with TBC and every expansion since.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited October 2021
    what in the world is in that image? Is that even from retail WOW?

Its looks more like an Eastern game than a western one.....Also the last thing I would want to do is go back to WoW and level a character from 1 to max...That would be painful now.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    edited October 2021

Djijin said:

deniter said:

I find many problems with Classic can be mitigated by playing on an RP-pve server. I do like some of the changes like nerfing aoe and boosting xp. The faster leveling isn't that bad. I currently play on a private server with easy to gain rest xp (through a skill called survival that creates tents that rapidly grant rest xp). Even with x2 mob xp, leveling is still rather slow and helps mostly with alts.

It falls apart fast imo, by catering to the raid crowd, which is what this fast season cycle is about. Likely fine for Classic, if it's treated as a static game (which this does), but I firmly believe Classic+ is the true way to host the game. My vanilla+ server proves this to me without any doubt. Experiencing new, horizontal content, cannot be described. You realize this is the direction Blizzard should have taken, not just now, but way back before they erased the relevancy of the old world starting with TBC and every expansion since.

Boosting exp only devalues content and makes people skip most of it. Currently on PTR they have +40% exp from quests. Since everyone (well, almost everyone) levels up by doing quests you consume content twice as fast as you should. Even on TBC realms there's no reason to run low level dungeons. You just outlevel them in no time by doing easy quests. And the exp boost is much lower on TBC servers.

What i would like them to do is make all classic content a little harder, not just raids. Make low level content as important than the higher one. Give a player a reason to gear up early on in order to level easier. Let them players fail if they try to clear content in subpar gear. That's how it used to work at early stage of Vanilla. I hit that brick wall at least on my warrior and a little later on my shaman. Couldn't kill a regular mob of my own level in an outdated gear.

Lots of changes they're doing are great, some of them are not. The bottom line seems to be that they want to funnel everyone to the buffed up endgame as soon as possible. If i wanted that, i'd play retail WoW.

I have a feeling they asked people in a survey ways to improve Classic WoW and then picked up the most popular ones. They just overlooked the fact that half the answers came from a group of people who prefers retail and the other half from a crowd that prefers the old game. Mixing popular features from the both camps creates this frankenstein monster of a game that's neither fish, nor fowl.
  • DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited October 2021
    40% bonus quest xp does indeed feel very different than +100% to mob kills. It will be interesting to see the difference. 

I still feel Classic will have lots of dungeon participation. Boosting and carries are nerfed, but that sweet dungeon quest xp is massive now along with the gear. Seems to me though, that this means some will ONLY do one run per dungeon because of this.

My opinion of Classic raids: boring content designed to maximize participation using minimal content. It's a development cheat, and having it be the only way to get good gear, within such a limited play style, is an abortion of original design.