Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fishing in a MMO. Whats to like about doing it, and what can be the gains from it?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Fishing in a MMO. Whats to like about doing it, and what can be the gains from it?

Fishing seem to be a staple in the MMO genre at this point. Most MMOs have it. Guild Wars 2 is about to get it. But what do you all like about it in MMOs?

Another question I have is about the implementation of Fishing and the byproducts of it in MMOs.  Other than maybe, "Cooking", what other unique ways have the byproduct of the fishing activity been done in a MMO? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

AlBQuirky

Comments

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    In many cases, its a form of resource gathering. As you point out, a byproduct might be cooking certain foods. In that light, why single out fishing vs. other MMO staples? Why not picking flowers as it relates to alchemy? Hitting rocks as it relates to blacksmithing? etc etc.

In other cases, or in addition to resource gathering, it's just a skin for a minigame. It's an easily recognizable correlation to a real word activity that gives the developers an easily excusable time sink.

As for the question about "what's to gain"; In crafting, I imagine that answers itself. If minigame, then the answer would be some level of enjoyment. If you don't get that out of it, then no need to do it. I don't imagine that fishing is a universally loved mechanic and would be curious how many users of each game actually take part in the activity on a regular basis.

AlBQuirkyAmaranthar

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    It's kinda like fishing in RL.....Just a chance to unwind and relax and enjoy something else. If the game has some sort of system where it can be fairly competitive, then that adds to the enjoyment but that rarely happens......So many players if they arent fighting every second of their gameplay, they think the game is useless....slow down, enjoy life a little.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyAmaranthar
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    edited September 2021
    I like fishing in real life, mainly carp fishing on some local lakes plus some beach fishing along the coast.

What fishing gives me in real life is hours of peace and quiet in beautiful locations, usually completely cut off from technology, interspersed with short periods of intense action as you try to land a decent fish. I might have to wait an hour for a good bite, but when it comes, oooohhh boy! My heart rate spikes, the adrenalin pumps and I get a massive smile on my face!

Fishing in MMORPGs has only ever gotten the first part right. fishing spots in games are usually very pretty, quite tranquil and just relaxing to be around. But, none of them have ever gotten the intense action part right, the mechanics are always far too basic and lack any sort of player skill. FFXI nearly got the intensity right, but that was more due to what you pulled out of the water than the fishing itself.

What I'd like to see in the future from fishing:

- Proper gameplay! Landing a fish should require some genuine player skill and involve different tactics depending on the fish you are trying to land. Some fish are fighters, some give up straight away. Some have bursts of speed, others are slow and steady powerhouses. Some will try to shake the hook from its mouth. Some will try to hide under logs or in weeds in an effort to break the line. Lets have some gameplay that involves that sort of stuff!

- A decent meta-game. Different fish like different bait. Large fish require stronger lines and harder rods. Let's get some of that in game too.

- Aquariums and trophies. If I catch a whopper, I'd like some way to hang on to it and show it off. Aquarium is my preference, if it can fit with the lore, but I'll take a bit of taxidermy insteady.

- A crafting niche. Fish used in cooking should offer something different to other types of meat, but nothing so powerful that it becomes mandatory. It's just be nice to sell off the fish I caught in some way.

- Some wish fulfilment: big fish! I live on the east coast of England and we don't get interesting or big fish. They're all brown and silver, the biggest we might see would be a 20lb cod or a 50lb carp in a stocked lake. If we're very lucky (or unlucky) you might hook a thresher shark, but they're rare round here. So, lets have some epic fish to catch in the MMO! If I hook a 500lb bull shark in game, it should be the equivalent of fighting a raid boss!
    Theocritus[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyAmaranthar
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Well in LotRO,

Fishing is part of a festivals quests. (You have to catch some missing items that were thrown into the pond).  

You can also get at least one title from fishing in all the major? areas of water.

And you can turn your catch into a housing decoration by having it mounted on a plaque.
    AlBQuirky

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Ulitma Online is the only game that I know of that made fishing worth anything, you used it to get high end SOS bottles, which lead you to treasures to fish up. 

Other than that in every one Ive played it was just stupid. 
    AlBQuirkyAmaranthar
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited September 2021
    You know what im thinking. Im not gonna say it, BUT COULD YOU IMAGINE /mindblown
    laserit
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    I like fishing for the RP it provides. Go hiking, exploring, find a cool spot with a creek or lake, and then try to pick the right bait, etc. It's relaxing.

Vanguard had the best fishing mini-game, the fish would make runs like real fish, and you had to respond or lose it.
    AlBQuirkyAmaranthar

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Fishing on a lvl restricted beg server in Ark Survival Evolved is the only way to get an argy saddle blue print.  It is the first time since FF11 I've seen fishing have an insane value to the community.  You have to be using an alpha-tuso dropped pole which is very hard to get.
    AlBQuirky

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's good RP, it's a semi AFK activity when you feel like just chilling and when done right, it provides resources and even gear.

New World has done a good job with theirs.
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Most people just like the idea of fishing, it’s synonymous with peace, relaxation and nature. 

I remember enjoying the fishing in Zelda Ocarina of Time when my kids were playing it :)

We’re blessed around here locally with great sports fishing although there is plenty of concern for the future.
    AlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I have tried fishing, briefly, in several MMORPGs and it bores the arse off me.  So much tedium for some unexceptional food buffs, "trophies" or "achievements".  I can't understand how people play games based entirely on fishing, but that's just me.  :)
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564

Fishing in MMOs for me has always been a chill out and turn your brain off activity. Nice but hardly an important part of the game.

Rather than talk about what's gone before I'd rather discus what could be done to improve fishing in future games. So far the only kind of fishing that has been implemented is rod fishing, which is fine but there are so may other ways of catching fish that could be turned into an enjoyable gaming experience.

Rather than a rod, how about spear fishing? Or even better, how about net fishing? Would still take real time player interaction and could be a step away from the boring catch one fish at a time idea. Or heck, even trap fishing, or build a hatchery. Both could be done similar to Star Wars Galaxies harvesting. Build a trap or pond, set it with bait or fish food and come back hours later to harvest oodles of fish at once.

And one last idea for those action gamers who find fishing boring, let them use explosive devices to blow the fish to kingdom come and then harvest them as they float to the surface, the Michael Bay way.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Why?

For me, it is downtime. I'm still in the game working on my character. I'm available if any guild mates need help. It helps to unwind after a few hours of "RUN! RUN! FIGHT! FIGHT! NEXT! NEXT!" of group activities.

Fishing in EQ was good for me. Fishing during the long boat rides helped pass the time. Starting out, fshing was a source (not great) of money. Trash was a common catch until one got better at fishing.

WoW was OK, too, for the same reasons. I didn't like their "fish here" circles, though.

Cooking is why I fish, mostly. Trophies I could not care any less about since "time", not "skill" is needed in the fishing mini-games I've seen.
    Iselin[Deleted User]Ungood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited October 2021
    Fishing is as important as the game makes is. In Classic/vanilla Wow, fishing can earn you some coin, access to functional food recipes and profession materials.

It's usefulness is entirely driven by game play. If you play an aoe/dungeon grinding meta mage, you likely can skip fishing because of your masterful exploitation of the game that was never intended.

If you play Hardcore (1 life challenge), and play the game like an actual RPG, then fishing becomes incredibly beneficial to your gameplay.

If you follow a meta bypassing game content, then both the game and the player removed the usefulness of a game system. Something like playing Hardcore (forced game play restrictions) can make otherwise ignored systems, very useful. 

It's the game that allows you to make content meaningless, but it's the player who chooses to do it. Player's ruin games, and developers cater to the meta players allowing the game to be ruined.

If vision drives your game design, the game will have interactive and functional systems. If player meta drives game development, you end up with a game full of shortcuts and the vision is lost.
    Post edited by Djijin on
    AlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited October 2021
    Just tossing in some comments.

Fish tanks...why stop there? Use tanks for small fish, ponds for medium sized fish that you can watch swim around in, and trophies on your walls or table tops in your homes for large ones. 

Shouldn't goldfish drop bunches of golden eggs? 

Where's the mere folk? Shouldn't there be a chance, in certain lakes and seashores, to be attacked by water dwelling humanoids? Not all fishing spots, though. There should be plenty of peaceful and serene locations. 

Alchemists should be able to devise and create an ale that helps with certain kinds of fishing. 

Specific kinds of game play like this will never be for all the players. But it's good for a game to have lots of "get away" game play for a real variety, to attract more gamers and keep them. 
    olepiAlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

Alchemists should be able to devise and create an ale that helps with certain kinds of fishing. 

Absolutely! When I go fishing down at the coast, our rule is: if the sun is up, you can start drinking!
    [Deleted User]AmarantharAlBQuirky

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited October 2021
    olepi said:

Absolutely! When I go fishing down at the coast, our rule is: if the sun is up, you can start drinking!
    Exactly. And what would a fisherman be if they didn't have their beer? 
    Their tales would be smaller, no doubt. 
    This kind of humor is welcome, IMO. It reminds me of my old friends and D&D days. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    olepi said:

Exactly. And what would a fisherman be if they didn't have their beer? 
    Their tales would be smaller, no doubt. 
    This kind of humor is welcome, IMO. It reminds me of my old friends and D&D days. 

Also the older you get, the bigger that fish was.......
    AlBQuirky