Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is just about everything I want in an MMO and a bit more

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
Haven't dropped by the forums in awhile because there has not been anything going on MMO-wise for a LONG TIME as I'm sure you know.  Greetings!

I've been playing New World pretty much non-stop since launch.  I think I have 70 hours played already in what, 4 or 5 days?  So I'm cracked out on this game and here's my review:

Pros:

1. Action combat.  Big fan of this since Tera and it's done even better in New World as you can switch to semi-1st person to aim and shoot.  Very fun stuff switching between range to get some shots in then finish with your melee weapon.

2. Graphics.  Unbelievable look for performance cost.  Runs better than Blade and Soul on my machine but looks absolutely amazing.  Tons of small world details.

3. FUNCTIONAL SEIGE!  I was in my first siege on day TWO!  And unlike say BDO siege, it's actually functional and people aren't warping all over the place because of server/performance issues.  Really truly tons of fun.  50v50 in a 30 min block so it's scheduable and doable and with even teams it helps sort out faction imbalance.  Logging on a half hour early to go over gameplan and intelligence from spies on the enemy- this kind of stuff is so fun.

4. No P2W (YET, we'll see.  Personally I don't think Amazon of all companies is dying for cash that they'd need to resort to it.  They did talk about adding xp potions which I wouldn't be a fan of.  Currently the shop is like 1 butt-ass ugly outfit).

Other less important Pros:

1. No mob tagging.  If you do enough damage to a mob, it counts for you.  

2. Corruption is basically Rift 2.0 with insane graphics and a better, more simple system and reliable load of corruption spawns.

3. Quests are decent.  You get xp from gathering and crafting.  Even xp from fishing.  Oh yeah fishing is like BDO but a bit better.

Cons:

Basically none.  All the things that are an inconvenience make sense, like having no mounts in the small world.  The world being small is nice, you see people often.  There is fast travel but it's limited by a resource you can get from mob drops or farming corruptions.  It all kind of ties together in an ingenious way.

You can't swim.  Who cares and it's kind of funny walking on the river floor lol.  I'd rather be playing the game then have it held up for a month or something so they could get swimming in.

Normally I do a hell of a lot of BGs in MMOs.  There is something like it I believe in New World, but I haven't even bothered trying to do them since I'm having so much fun progressing my character in a thousand different ways.

All in all, this game is damn near perfect.  It's got a lot of the things people here have been asking for for years.  Definitely give it a shot if you haven't already.
SovrathScotAsm0deusConstantineMerusIselin[Deleted User]KyleranYashaXDattelis[Deleted User]and 6 others.

Comments

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Pretty good summary. For your pros, I haven't really PvP'd much, yet, so can't comment on that. For the quests: I think you summarized them pretty well as being 'decent'. There not great and not bad. I do like how they serve a purpose (faction and town board quests) though.

Otherwise, I am still mid-20 levels so a lot of the game left to explore. Can't commit to calling it "near perfect" yet, but hard pressed to think of anything that really turns me off about the game so far. Still in the honey moon phase though and familiarity breeds contempt. So we'll see how it's going in a few months. :)

Good write-up though and welcome back.
    holdenhamlet

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Haven't dropped by the forums in awhile because there has not been anything going on MMO-wise for a LONG TIME as I'm sure you know.  Greetings!

I've been playing New World pretty much non-stop since launch.  I think I have 70 hours played already in what, 4 or 5 days?  So I'm cracked out on this game and here's my review:

Pros:

1. Action combat.  Big fan of this since Tera and it's done even better in New World as you can switch to semi-1st person to aim and shoot.  Very fun stuff switching between range to get some shots in then finish with your melee weapon.

2. Graphics.  Unbelievable look for performance cost.  Runs better than Blade and Soul on my machine but looks absolutely amazing.  Tons of small world details.

3. FUNCTIONAL SEIGE!  I was in my first siege on day TWO!  And unlike say BDO siege, it's actually functional and people aren't warping all over the place because of server/performance issues.  Really truly tons of fun.  50v50 in a 30 min block so it's scheduable and doable and with even teams it helps sort out faction imbalance.  Logging on a half hour early to go over gameplan and intelligence from spies on the enemy- this kind of stuff is so fun.

4. No P2W (YET, we'll see.  Personally I don't think Amazon of all companies is dying for cash that they'd need to resort to it.  They did talk about adding xp potions which I wouldn't be a fan of.  Currently the shop is like 1 butt-ass ugly outfit).

2. Corruption is basically Rift 2.0 with insane graphics and a better, more simple system and reliable load of corruption spawns.

3. Quests are decent.  You get xp from gathering and crafting.  Even xp from fishing.  Oh yeah fishing is like BDO but a bit better.

Cons:

Basically none.  All the things that are an inconvenience make sense, like having no mounts in the small world.  The world being small is nice, you see people often.  There is fast travel but it's limited by a resource you can get from mob drops or farming corruptions.  It all kind of ties together in an ingenious way.

You can't swim.  Who cares and it's kind of funny walking on the river floor lol.  I'd rather be playing the game then have it held up for a month or something so they could get swimming in.

Normally I do a hell of a lot of BGs in MMOs.  There is something like it I believe in New World, but I haven't even bothered trying to do them since I'm having so much fun progressing my character in a thousand different ways.

All in all, this game is damn near perfect.  It's got a lot of the things people here have been asking for for years.  Definitely give it a shot if you haven't already.

You are correct with everything you wrote BUT the things you are describing are already in other copy. While i do enjoy NW i honestly believe they took good parts from ESO and ARK and other games and created their game.

Its nothing new and its lacking so many things. I dont want to ruin your experience and i wish you have amazing experiences in NW but after lvl 10 everything is repetitive and once you reach end game you will be surprised how much is the grind to unlock the new tiers of gear and by this i mean you need to grind to unlock 1st tier after 60 so you can progress to other few others of gear in order to have bis/max gear in NW atm. It takes months for some.

Game of the Year 2021 Best Value for the $.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Ahh yea, no cons at all
    Mikeha[Deleted User]Ungoodhamlathis
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Hefaistos said:

Pros:

Cons:

You are correct with everything you wrote BUT the things you are describing are already in other copy. While i do enjoy NW i honestly believe they took good parts from ESO and ARK and other games and created their game.

Its nothing new and its lacking so many things. I dont want to ruin your experience and i wish you have amazing experiences in NW but after lvl 10 everything is repetitive and once you reach end game you will be surprised how much is the grind to unlock the new tiers of gear and by this i mean you need to grind to unlock 1st tier after 60 so you can progress to other few others of gear in order to have bis/max gear in NW atm. It takes months for some.

Game of the Year 2021 Best Value for the $.
    Don't worry about spoiling I'm level 46, like I said I've been hitting the game like crack on DMKano's coffee table (that guy still around?  I think he'd like this game).

I will agree they took a lot from other games, but I don't see that as a bad thing.  And what they did take, they either did well or even improved it.
    YashaX

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited October 2021
    Wargfoot said:
    I do wonder about monetization on this one...
    It remains to be seen.  So far it's great but obviously they will have to add stuff to pay for the server costs/development.

I remain hopeful despite getting burned in the past by so many MMOs getting ruined by p2w cash shops.  A few things are different about this one, mainly that it's made by Amazon.  They're obviously not short on cash so desperation will never be a factor.  They also want a flagship game for "Amazon Gaming".  They got a game with close to 1 million concurrent players.  I think they will be careful not to blow that up.  They run Twitch at a loss, because it ties into Amazon, so everything is not solely about the bottom line for them.

All they need to do is make bunch of outfits/house decorations.  People will buy them and it won't affect gameplay.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm glad that you are enjoying it. It seems a lot of us do and I can't remember the last time this many people enjoyed a game on these forums. 
    KyleranYashaXUngoodMikeha
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Slacker! I have 110 hours :)

Yeah... loving it too.
    YashaXDattelis
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Iselin said:

Slacker! I have 110 hours :)

Yeah... loving it too.
    110 hours? Did you just buy it or are you that slow...?
    IselinKyleranYashaX
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Wargfoot said:
    I do wonder about monetization on this one...
    It remains to be seen.  So far it's great but obviously they will have to add stuff to pay for the server costs/development.

I remain hopeful despite getting burned in the past by so many MMOs getting ruined by p2w cash shops.  A few things are different about this one, mainly that it's made by Amazon.  They're obviously not short on cash so desperation will never be a factor.  They also want a flagship game for "Amazon Gaming".  They got a game with close to 1 million concurrent players.  I think they will be careful not to blow that up.  They run Twitch at a loss, because it ties into Amazon, so everything is not solely about the bottom line for them.

All they need to do is make bunch of outfits/house decorations.  People will buy them and it won't affect gameplay.

Fortnite's annual revenue is around $4 Billion a year. That's for just costumes, etc, in a F2P game.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Good to see you again Hamlet, glad you are having fun!
    Sovrath
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,454
    As a lot had said in previous New World threads, if you take it for what it is, its well worth the price tag right now. Plenty of foundational things that wont make you feel like you are wasting your time down the road (weapon skill ups, crafting, exploring). The problem is, there are just some people that expect things to be perfect day one and this unfortunately wont be for them. Lets say that it even does fail in a couple of months. 40$ for 100+ hours of fun (mostly) sounds like a net gain to me, which is honestly what games should be about. Measure things by how much fun you were able to have for what you spent instead of how long something will last for the price tag.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited October 2021
    No cons?
    What about swimming?

MikehaScotKyleranIselinUngoodSavageHorizonBabuinixhamlathis
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    ill check back on this one in a month.  
    borghive49
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Pros:

Cons:

Welcome back to the forums! :)
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Tiller said:
    No cons?
    What about swimming?

Ever tried to swim wearing armor ?
    I'd advise not to try...

So you're telling me pirates couldn't swim in their clothes?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I'll check back with this in a year and see wehre its at with everyone.....Right now it has the brand new MMO polish, but I'd like to see how it stands up over time.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Pirates in "armor"

Not too hard to swim in vs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Wargfoot said:
    Thanks to unrelenting peer pressure I have now purchased the game.
    I hate all of you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    The combat has bored me to tears now .. cannot take much more

Ungoodborghive49strawhat0981
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I actually joined a guild and PvPed last night... defending a fort. It was FUN! and I'm not usually a pvper.... so I'm surprised I enjoyed it that much.
    SovrathIselin[Deleted User]ScotKyleranConstantineMerus

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Tokken said:
    I actually joined a guild and PvPed last night... defending a fort. It was FUN! and I'm not usually a pvper.... so I'm surprised I enjoyed it that much.
    They are fun. I've been in 3 now, all on defense, and no one has been able to capture even one of the three flags against us yet :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited October 2021
    I am finding the Myth of Empire
    s beta more fun that the NW beta I was in, it has better combat

strawhat0981