Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kena: Bridge of Spirits PC Review | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageKena: Bridge of Spirits PC Review | MMORPG.com

What happens when you cross Spyro with Pikmin, add modern technology, and throw in some industry-defining animation work? You get Kena: Bridge of Spirits.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    amazing game , its a bit repetitive tho but still enjoyable , just stoped playing , damn the 2nd zone "final" boss is on the "hard" side , only 4 trys but ugh ...

i only found one bug , the game got stuck in slow motion had to reload , but i think that was fixed in 1.06

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985
    edited September 2021
    I assume this is a game for adults, I have heard good things about it; not too kiddie cartoon but it does steer in that direction and the "pets" really are childish. Now I know some of you think I want everything to be grim dark shooters, its not that, I just wonder why this cartoonish look is the default for action adventure these days.

More realism is what we need, maybe this is the influence of consoles and mobiles, but they are not just platforms for kids are they, so why is the industry so cartoonish now?
    elveoneMendelshipcommander
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Scot said:

I assume this is a game for adults, I have heard good things about it; not too kiddie cartoon but it does steer in that direction and the "pets" really are childish. Now I know some of you think I want everything to be grim dark shooters, its not that, I just wonder why this cartoonish look is the default for action adventure these days.

More realism is what we need, maybe this is the influence of consoles and mobiles, but they are not just platforms for kids are they, so why is the industry so cartoonish now?

it look pixar-disney esque but story is about death ppl that u need to send , yuna style
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Scot said:

You know that most adults like pretty graphics as well, right?
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Scot said:

I know nothing about this title other than that provided in the article.  To me, the images were entirely too cutesy for my tastes.  I prefer realism, but the industry somehow seems to think that a cartoon art style has more 'shelf life'.  I'd worry more about game depth and elements before I worried about how the artwork will be received in 10 years time.  Only a game that will offer 10 years worth of play needs to concern itself over a long-lasting art style.

Scotelveone

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited September 2021
    elveone said:

Scot said:

You know that most adults like pretty graphics as well, right?
    Can you point me to the survey that indicates that?

Blueturtle, I did not see that 9.5, that is way too high but maybe a 7.0 is a bit low? I am not going to blame their upbringing for this, unless most action adventure developers live in Disney Parks. :)
    elveone
    You really need a survey for that to believe it?
    edited September 2021
    elveone said:
    Well more than just your opinion yes, likewise I don't expect you to just accept mine.

Here is one for you, Ghost of a Tale. Now the characters could be regarded as cutesy, guess they are. But it is not cartoonish or garishly colourful. All those three together is what would make me ask, is this a game for adults?
  • SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

Scot said:

elveone said:

Well more than just your opinion yes, likewise I don't expect you to just accept mine.

Here is one for you, Ghost of a Tale. Now the characters could be regarded as cutesy, guess they are. But it is not cartoonish or garishly colourful. All those three together is what would make me ask, is this a game for adults?

If you're an adult and enjoy this game, then that's all you need.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Scot said:
    elveone said:

Isn't it the content and what the game does that is indicative of whether it is an adult game. But on that note even games meant for children can be fun playing as an adult or not ala Squid Game has shown in a very dark turn.

Scot said:

elveone said:

Well, considering that the definition of the word "pretty" is "attractive" I would forego the survey and rely on common sense. As for Ghost of a Tale - a nice game but every game can be different and not everything should be gloomy. You probably should play Kena if you are into that kind of game and it is just the pretty colors that are stopping you. It is a game of contrasts.
    kitarad said:
    Scot said:
    elveone said:

Isn't it the content and what the game does that is indicative of whether it is an adult game. But on that note even games meant for children can be fun playing as an adult or not ala Squid Game has shown in a very dark turn.
    Content is a big factor, the problem is when you are thinking of purchasing you only get a chance to skim (at best) what the content is. As it is I check Steam, Metacritic, watch a couple of minutes of a gameplay video. That nearly always means I buy games I will like.

I could always turn the colours down Elevone, this is as much about what I expect the game to be like on the basis of how it looks.

But guys if you love this sort of game, don't mind me, I have always had issues with this sort of look (borderline here) so I will keep putting my hand up when a new one comes out.