Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Go forth and Torture yourself with 10 hours of twitch streamers for some weapon skins!

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
Or at least let your PC stream for twitch for while you do other things. Honesty why is this a thing? Such a stupid concept. For a company that is supposed to be environmentally friendly it seems like such a waste of energy and bandwidth to run twitch for 10 hours for some unlocks. Maybe Bezos runs his servers off the sweat of Amazon fulfillment center employees? idk

Anyways I'm only sharing this because I just found out about it. Figured might as well help another poor sap out who isn't in the know like me..

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/twitch-drops

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

OldKingLogScotKidRisk

Comments

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    edited October 2021
    Excellent title, no way in hell am I giving these self serving vultures one minute of my time even for a reward. To me this is a very disturbing trend. Its bad enough the streamers, and more importantly, their rabble are having such a disruptive effect on gaming, but now they are getting legitimized as secondary advertisers. These people are the gaming equivalent of Lady Blah Blah and her little morons. No thanks, just say no.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well, having bamboo shoots shoved under your fingernails would be worse, but not by very much.
    OldKingLogScotKidRisk

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2021
    The fact that no one really needs to watch (you just turn the sound off and lower the video quality to minimum and then let that browser tab sit in the background) brings into question the relevance of twitch views as a measure of popularity.

The whole twitch drop thing is pretty lame and Amazon is far from being the only online gaming company that does it on a regular basis. In their case though, as the twitch owners, they should know better than most that they're just generating bogus hours of "views."
    [Deleted User]Scot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited October 2021
    Now as an old guy myself I didn't get the twitch streaming thing either however I try to be more adaptable in my old age and over come the "get off my lawn syndrome" lots  of us older folk get into and so persisted at watching various streamers and with just a little time I came to "get it".

It's just a form of entertainment like any other except live and just like tv shows or movies sometimes it sucks, sometimes it's funny. You just have to find the poison that entertains you.

Now I do not watch twitch everyday but now and then when there no good shows to binge watch I have a couple streamer I find entertaining to watch.

Hell there's even a Bob Ross channel!    :D

Frankly not sure where all the hate some of you are showing is coming from, I am playing New World right now on a streamer server that has a few big streamers and I am not seeing them "ruin anything" in side the game....  In fact they have organized syndicate pretty well and when questing around I am not having  much issues at all compared to other games I have played.

Take the few quests to hunt scratchy the bear and a few other likes that, they show up as faction missions,  if you take 1 min to say hi in area chat and ask if peeps are here for the kill  or kill and skin and invite people to party  most people seem quite happy to join so everyone gets the kill and not have to wait for the respawn...you just have to show a little initiative and speak up so to speak and most peeps are quite nice  at least so far.

Not sure how they have "ruined" gaming for anyone.....lol

Maybe some of you all need to go watch some bob ross!  :D :D :p

[Deleted User]Champie[Deleted User]Morgenes83KidRisk

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• dartseeddartseed Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I got them all just by having it run in the second monitor while I played NW lol why you making something out of nothing??
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    I'm still the old guy that says, get off my .... hey look! Squirrel!

Never watched any twitch streamers. Don't care about them one way or the other.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    A lot of games are doing the Twitch drops thing now.
    Iselin[Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Forgrimm said:
    A lot of games are doing the Twitch drops thing now.
    Yup. ESO has been doing it for about 4 or 5 years although with them it's usually for watching their own official streams only.
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited October 2021
    I have to say if the stuff you get is good I would do it, put it in the background and get on with enjoying the game. As much as I hate the whole streamer thing outside of reviews and walkthroughs (which to me I don't think streamers do, well not the proper ones anyway) don't cut of your nose to spit your face. Get the goodies and laugh at the peeps who waste time with this.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2021
    olepi said:

Naw we jumped the shark when the internet was created and we started spending inordinate amounts of time and effort online in various forums telling people how to live their lives instead of going outside and living our own!

:D
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wargfoot said:
    Asm0deus said:
    olepi said:

Naw we jumped the shark when the internet was created and we started spending inordinate amounts of time and effort online in various forums telling people how to live their lives instead of going outside and living our own!

:D
    I feel like you're telling me to get off the internet.

More like ruminating on how I should not be online so much myself. lol
    [Deleted User]

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    set a stream to audio only and mute it.  come back 10 hours later and win
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Nope, you have to claim each 1-2 hours to keep the progress going, and if stream goes down while you afk, you wasted that time. I finished it anyways, still think it's a dumb idea.
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:

Nope, you have to claim each 1-2 hours to keep the progress going, and if stream goes down while you afk, you wasted that time. I finished it anyways, still think it's a dumb idea.
    I must admit when I posted I did not realise it was just for skins, but some folks love that sort of stuff so good luck to them if that's what they want to get.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    It was Warframe really that set the trend with these Twitch drops, though, often you only have to watch one of their official Warframe channel streams to unlock it.

New World really takes the cake though! 10 hours is just insane and stupid.
    Kyleran
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I don't use Twitch
    Kyleran

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Tiller said:

I must admit when I posted I did not realise it was just for skins, but some folks love that sort of stuff so good luck to them if that's what they want to get.
    In this case it's for skins, but it can be for any sort of digital or account perk in a game. For No Man's Sky they gave away some ships, multi-tools, fauna eggs, emotes, outfit skins, and other swag.

For this one you have to claim each reward after the allotted time like @Tiller said before the timer for the next would start. For No Man's Sky you just needed to watch X number of hours and then claim it by a set date.

Is it really puzzling to you that people enjoy appearance options in an MMO? It seems pretty logical to me that in a massively multiplayer environment people enjoy more visual customization options.
    Well I would definitely be up for those NMS rewards. It is not puzzling just not me, most players in MMOS don't get why people roleplay, each to their own. Now if you said the outfits enabled a sufficiently differentiate look, one you could use in roleplaying I would be there. But just something like different colours I leave to those who like such things.

Good to see you posting more btw.