Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Eclipses 900K Concurrent Players Over The Weekend As Amazon Stops New Characters On Crowde

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World Eclipses 900K Concurrent Players Over The Weekend As Amazon Stops New Characters On Crowded Servers | MMORPG.com

New World has had a week. Since releasing last Tuesday, the new MMO from Amazon has seen over 1 million players hit the shores of Aeternum, and has continually broken its own concurrent player count records, hitting over 900K this weekend.

Read the full story here

Babuinix

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    People will be selling their server spots; just wait lol.
    Scot
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• coercer02coercer02 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    The game is absolutely amazing. No queue times right now on any large NA servers either due to the addition of new servers.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Im not suprised the hype was real when I played in closed beta.  They built a solid foundation and has lots of room to grow.
    jitter77IceAgeIselinMcSleaz[Deleted User]RemyVorenderBrokenSilence
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    doesn't wow have like this many players regularly? how big of a deal and how popular is new world really? steam is the only platform that gives clear numbers
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited October 2021

Kratier said:

doesn't wow have like this many players regularly? how big of a deal and how popular is new world really? steam is the only platform that gives clear numbers

You mean, was. WoW was this popular. Almost 1 mil CONCURRENT players, means A LOT. I'm sure if WoW will have tomorrow 1 mil concurrent players, their servers will almost be like the ones from New World.

And no, WoW is not even close to 1 Mil concurrent players currently.

Edit: As a side note, I think WoW current total players is less than 1 mil ! :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Yeah our server, Ferri on NA W, is one of the ones with no new characters allowed right now. We're typically pop-capped in prime time but the queues are like a 15 minute wait max even at those times.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855
    So is this a proper MMO? I haven't followed it cause I don't play games any more, but I have been waiting for a good MMO since 2005 when the NGE killed SWG.
  • chrisnyc48chrisnyc48 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited October 2021

IceAge said:

Kratier said:

You mean, was. WoW was this popular. Almost 1 mil CONCURRENT players, means A LOT. I'm sure if WoW will have tomorrow 1 mil concurrent players, their servers will almost be like the ones from New World.

You're basing this on what information? A guess? An assumption? WOW and WOW classic aren't hurting, neither are any of the other top AAA games on the market. They have PROVEN themselves over the course of several years. New World is quite simply "new" not to mention aggressively marketed.

Time will tell if it can hold an audience over the long haul, which is the true measure of a successful mmo. As for me, when I played the NW over it's open beta weekend, although I found the game initially fun, even though I HATED it's idea of character customization, in time I came to see it as a matter of 20% game and 80% hype, shallow and basic. I expected so much more!

Sure, every game isn't for every person and I'm certain others have different opinions, but as far as I'm concerned, it isn't a game I could play for a long period of time.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Where's the asshat who said this game would be down to 10k players the first month? ROFL
    IceAge[Deleted User]RemyVorender
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

IceAge said:

Kratier said:

You're basing this on what information? A guess? An assumption? WOW and WOW classic aren't hurting, neither are any of the other top AAA games on the market. They have PROVEN themselves over the course of several years. New World is quite simply "new" not to mention aggressively marketed.

Time will tell if it can hold an audience over the long haul, which is the true measure of a successful mmo. As for me, when I played the NW over it's open beta weekend, although I found the game initially fun, even though I HATED it's idea of character customization, in time I came to see it as a matter of 20% game and 80% hype, shallow and basic. I expected so much more!

Sure, every game isn't for every person and I'm certain others have different opinions, but as far as I'm concerned, it isn't a game I could play for a long period of time.

I don't know where you are coming from, but saying WoW isn't..hurting is delusional. WoW has lost a lot of player right after the 2 months of Shadowlands. I didn't made the above ..accusations because of New World release. WoW is bleeding players at a very fast rate, because of how bad BfA and now Shadowlands are played.

How do I know it? Well , I have the 10th sense. Oh and, because every friend I know who played Shadowlands and BC are not doing it anymore. Oh, yea...and that out of like 30+ bnet friends who played Shadowlands at release, I barely see 5 or so.

You don't need a crystal ball to know that WoW is going down fast. New World is here to help something which is already sinking.
    Kyleranchrisnyc48

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SabbythSabbyth Member UncommonPosts: 52

So is this a proper MMO? I haven't followed it cause I don't play games any more, but I have been waiting for a good MMO since 2005 when the NGE killed SWG.

It depends on how you view a proper MMO. I am enjoying the their take on how the players interact with the world.

It is one of my favorite MMOs for gathering in recent times. The fishing is also pretty good. Combat is skill based but slow enough to be methodical and tactical. PVP is completely optional and toggleable. There's a good amount of weapons with rumors of more coming. I believe I heard of a flintlock pistol is floating around on the back-end as well.

On another note, it's nice to be able to take on enemies 10+ levels higher than you as long as you play smart.

As a ranged enthusiast, the bow and musket are both very fun to play and viable even in close quarters.

The world definitely fills active with players running all over the place. You can definitely make a living going for crafting or gathering.
    sschrupp
    "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
    — Shigeru Miyamoto
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I gotta say, 75% of the time I have into this game has been spent running and traveling. Travel is a sink travel that's already getting kinda old; for me anyways.
    Kyleran
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

If you haven't found anything since 2005 that suits you it's unlikely anyone else can tell you if it falls into what you feel the be good. Your preferences seem to be quite narrow. Likely the only one that can say if the game will satisfy is you.

There should also be videos of the game in abundance on various platforms, so some of those may be in enough depth to give you an idea if you'd like the game.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hrmm, talking out one's ass is a 10th sense, who knew?

Apparently then many here are suffering from sensory overload.

;)

chrisnyc48Scot[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Queue times are getting better. I can get in guaranteed in the morning. The afternoon is a bit touch and go but everyday queue time wise it's getting noticeably better. Still an issue but it's good to see them actively working on it.
    Kyleran

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Regardless of if you like the game or not, this is very good news for MMOs in general. Clear message that audience is thirsty for new MMO
    Iselin[Deleted User]Scotkitarad[Deleted User][Deleted User]RemyVorenderKyleranSabbyth

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited October 2021

Tiller said:

I gotta say, 75% of the time I have into this game has been spent running and traveling. Travel is a sink travel that's already getting kinda old; for me anyways.

Personally I love exploring, but if you are doing the same routes again and again they need something to spice that up. Does not need to be combat, what about adding a "delivery service" quest on well used routes where you earn coin for doing trips. Players just need to feel they are doing grind for a reason.
    [Deleted User]Kyleransschrupp
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    yeah the issue is theres no actual data on other mmo concurrent players , and steam is the most up front about numbers
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    If one looks at the actual size of Atherium, it is small. After all, it is an island that 3 factions are fighting over.

I was on one of the servers where Twitch people were, at one point I had a 2500 person cue. That is insane.
    Kyleran

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    1 million concurrent means 10-20 million sales which means they might break even on it, maybe even make a profit over time!
    kitarad
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    The game is going to make a profit. It's obvious from the interest and numbers.

• lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited October 2021
    If swg original was your gauge than no this is not a proper mmo. The simplest way to sum up this game is a bad version of ark, with a generic story, medicore graphics, a character creator worse than swg, and swg cc is bad. So bad ark with 2000 players. 

The crafting is generic, the combat is even more so, and nothing about it is new. It copied Ark, ESO, and dark age of Camelot but did it worse than all of them. 

Look at it this way if I stuck a 6 year old into swg original, they would get lost and have no idea what they were doing because it was too complex. Nw a 4 year old could win at it.
    KyleranvqlysschruppSabbyth
  • lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Regardless of if you like the game or not, this is very good news for MMOs in general. Clear message that audience is thirsty for new MMO
    I don't agree, it doesn't help me. It shows that generic corporate produced drivel is more popular than games that innovate. So it's very bad news, it means that forever I will be stuck with old mmorpg, because complex, well thought out games made out of the person imagination something they built too play them selves will never happen. All mmorpgs will be generic garbage like nw. Though that's been pretty much clear since world of generic craft. 

They all cater to the lowest common denominator as profit machines. Junk games too me. I think most people don't even play games based on anything other than if their imagery friends think it's popular and good.

So nope definitely not very good news for mmorpgs, unless you are a share holder, one of those people who plays a game dumps it than moves to the next one, or have never played mmorpgs before other than wow. 

New world is definitely not a crafted universe, a world to get lost in, and become apart of. They don't make worlds any more, they make profit. 

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321
    I'm really enjoying the game so far so it's nice to see so many others are as well.
    [Deleted User]
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Scot said:

Tiller said:

Personally I love exploring, but if you are doing the same routes again and again they need something to spice that up. Does not need to be combat, what about adding a "delivery service" quest on well used routes where you earn coin for doing trips. Players just need to feel they are doing grind for a reason.

Trust me, you have plenty of things to do while traveling already. I usually get sidetracked all the time, notably by gathering. My path from A to B is more of a zigzag than a straight line :D

There are different playstyles. Some get a quest and go straight for it, letting nothing stand in the way.

My playstyle is super casual. I'll get a quest, and then sort of head in that general direction, and I'll get there, probably. I'll likely stop a million times and run around looking for stuff, hemp is high on the list. (see what I did there? :))

I might swap out a weapon to try something new, or decide to detour to something that popped up on the map.  Or just go farming and skinning for a while.

And then, oh yeah, I have a quest in this general direction.
    Kyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.