Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Review In Progress | MMORPG.com

Comments

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Scorchien said:
    A beautiful very interesting handcrafted world that inspires exploration , and coaxes you to see what is over the next hill..

Crafting and gathering that are well done and very useful ..

RvR system that inspires participation

All wrapped up with the worst shit combat i have ever seen in an MMO , lol Who would have thought someone could make a worse system than ESO , But they managed it ..

Horribly uninspired lacking any real skill or engaging .. Boring also comes to mind ..

I will see how long i can tolerate it , will most likely play to end game , do all i can do and move on ..
    I agree with most of this, im also somewhat disappointed in the number of skills we have and whatnot, but its certainly something that does require skill, and timing and the movement to win in pvp, with your personal skill, you can easily kill players 6 or more lvls higher than you,but not by standing and tab targeting, but by blocking, dodging, using your few skills at just the right time to either counter his or trick him into using his.
    INfact i find that this requires much more skill in pvp, than most typical tab targeting mmos, (maybe because im used to tab targeting,sometimes i also randomly open my inventory in combat, old habits die hard, since inventory button is on tab) if we had all the abilities like we do in games like wow or ff, i couldnt manage it :))
    the rest of the game is beatiful and immersive, only wish it had chat bubbles in local say chat.

I would like abit more abilities though, or even the option for a 3rd weapon set,cause tbh
    most of the weapons i also find semi boring, i hope they atleast add more weapons soon though.
    Im surprised by how much i enjoy this game, so much that i can live with only this low amount of skills, i couldnt in GW2 or ESO, so imho they are doing something right, sometimes when i run around in this world i get vague old memories, of games long past, like swg (i know its not!!!) its a funny mix of old and new, and the background systems inspire ppl to play together and organise in groups in teh open world, even watcing the chat go from chaos to organising a resistance and defending the cities if fun, for the moment, im quite sold.

Except for the queues.

Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited October 2021
    laserit said:
    Scot said:

laserit said:

I absolutely love the bones.

The action combat is very well done, every weapon is different and has a good feel. As I level and get into more difficult territory I'm noticing some pretty sophisticated mob ai for an MMO.

I'm enjoying what seems to be a lot of very well thought out mechanics with great execution. Lumberyard is working really well for an MMO engine. 

I'm looking at this in a Sea of Thieves kind of way, there is a very strong foundation here. Lets see what kind of meat they put on them bones, Amazon certainly has the resources. I'm liking how the north side of the map has no shoreline.

For me, as it stands right now

New World is a keeper :)

This is my impression from many posters the bones are there, but that is not going to keep players in game months down the line. I think they decided they had to launch too soon after making such major changes after the mid development stage. But it is going to be a winner, players will leave but they will come back as the game gets fleshed out.

I think they already realise this and will be planning ahead. The easiest way to sort out the PvP issue would be some sort of arena, I am thinking ESO style here they have the money to go big. As for the questing they may have some sort of questing relaunch, possibly even removing what many players see as pedantry quests. Long term the game will really shine.

P.S Laserit you seem to have made the right server decision, I am sure the server situation will eventually sort itself out but the way people are talking you would think all the problems will disappear day one of transfers, that's not gonna happen.
    Territory control means quite a bit of $$$ and the mechanics behind it are really sound imho. They just need to build on it.

For me personally MMORPG's are all about adventure and immersion. You don't have to quest, there are tons of cool places to explore. I don't care about the Jone's

New World delivers that and so far my server pop makes for a little bit more of a believable, immersive, experience.

Melding Survival and MMORPG was always a no brainer to me. I've been anticipating it and enjoying it now :) 
    How much "survival" is there? I know it was touted early on in development but that word is used now for such a broad spectrum of gameplay features. Do you need to need to eat and drink or die? Are you building your own home? Is it more like an extended crafting setup?
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Scot said:
    laserit said:
    Scot said:

laserit said:

I absolutely love the bones.

The action combat is very well done, every weapon is different and has a good feel. As I level and get into more difficult territory I'm noticing some pretty sophisticated mob ai for an MMO.

I'm enjoying what seems to be a lot of very well thought out mechanics with great execution. Lumberyard is working really well for an MMO engine. 

I'm looking at this in a Sea of Thieves kind of way, there is a very strong foundation here. Lets see what kind of meat they put on them bones, Amazon certainly has the resources. I'm liking how the north side of the map has no shoreline.

For me, as it stands right now

New World is a keeper :)

This is my impression from many posters the bones are there, but that is not going to keep players in game months down the line. I think they decided they had to launch too soon after making such major changes after the mid development stage. But it is going to be a winner, players will leave but they will come back as the game gets fleshed out.

I think they already realise this and will be planning ahead. The easiest way to sort out the PvP issue would be some sort of arena, I am thinking ESO style here they have the money to go big. As for the questing they may have some sort of questing relaunch, possibly even removing what many players see as pedantry quests. Long term the game will really shine.

P.S Laserit you seem to have made the right server decision, I am sure the server situation will eventually sort itself out but the way people are talking you would think all the problems will disappear day one of transfers, that's not gonna happen.
    Territory control means quite a bit of $$$ and the mechanics behind it are really sound imho. They just need to build on it.

For me personally MMORPG's are all about adventure and immersion. You don't have to quest, there are tons of cool places to explore. I don't care about the Jone's

New World delivers that and so far my server pop makes for a little bit more of a believable, immersive, experience.

Melding Survival and MMORPG was always a no brainer to me. I've been anticipating it and enjoying it now :) 
    How much "survival" is there? I know it was touted early on in development but that word is used now for such a broad spectrum of gameplay features. Do you need to need to eat and drink or die? Are you building your own home? Is it more like an extended crafting setup?

No, you don't need to eat and drink or die. And you don't build a house, you buy property in the cities. You can decorate them at will though, it's similar to EQ2 or BDO, and you can hang trophies that give you various buffs too.

Having housing outdoors would ruin that beautiful immersive world anyway, it was a mess in UO. It's a feature I enjoy in survival games like Minecraft or Valheim but that I think does not work in a MMORPG.
    I didn't mind Archeage housing method. The issue (as always) is there not being enough land for every player to own a house.
    [Deleted User]

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:
    A beautiful very interesting handcrafted world that inspires exploration , and coaxes you to see what is over the next hill..

All wrapped up with the worst shit combat i have ever seen in an MMO , lol Who would have thought someone could make a worse system than ESO , But they managed it ..

Horribly uninspired lacking any real skill or engaging .. Boring also comes to mind ..

I will see how long i can tolerate it , will most likely play to end game , do all i can do and move on ..

Combat actually requires more skill than most mmos, specially ranged weapons...

That would depend on the player Entirely ..

And ime , its the most simplistic of them all ..

Easy,Boring,Repetitive,Unengaging,Unimaginative,Unchallenging system to date regardless of choices ..

And

Most encounters feel exactly the same as the 3000 before ....  

Which as the activity most players do the most of the time in an MMO , its not good
    kjempffcameltosis
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    eoloe said:
    1- How is this game for casual PvP?
    2- Does it make sense to PvP at all levels? Or should you wait to be max level?
    It depends on the person, but I think it is good to just stay flagged for a lot of the time. Makes the game a lot more fun when you run into people who just attack on sight when they see you are flagged. 
  • Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    edited October 2021
    Empty shell of a game with 0 content.

Bosses/dungeons are the same copy/pasted boss.

They ignored all feedback from beta and pvp is still a slow zergfest, with no way to catch up to players.

Refunded. Ignore the shill mmorpg paid review, and check the steam reviews, 50% negative 'mixed' from 100k+ players.
    Viper482Asm0deusHengistYashaX

Archeage EU - Nui

edited October 2021

They ignored all feedback from beta and pvp is still a slow zergfest, with no way to catch up to players.

Refunded. Ignore the shill mmorpg paid review, and check the steam reviews, 50% negative 'mixed' from 100k+ players.
    While I intend to wait to the end of next year before I play as I think the game will be a lot better then this article was not a review. Without any proof of misdoing once again we have accusations of it being paid for.

Recently a MMO got a 6.5 and still posters said that was paid for even though a 6.5 means "don't buy it". I really think you have to think about making such accusations without a shred of evidence for an article which is only a review in progress.
    Kyleran
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited October 2021

Everyone knows the "50% negative/mixed" reviews are mostly queue-rage. Sorry you don't like it, but hundreds of thousands are enjoying it. Including me....so far.
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]etlar[Deleted User]borghive49BrainylaseritYashaXKyleranMcSleaz
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    the world is too big for only have teleports points, the game need mounts, i can't enjoy this walking game, and the mods are all the same from level 1 to level 60.
    Dude get a house... seriously. You can port to your house from anywhere - just like you can with the recall to Inn.

But unlike the Inn if your house is on cooldown, you can pay Azoth - much less than it costs to travel using towns and shrines - to get rid of the cooldown and you can use house recall again whenever you want it and from anywhere in the wilds.

Once you're home you can fast travel from there to any shrine or town you have unlocked.

You're welcome.
    [Deleted User]laseritConstantineMerusKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Steam reviews are not worth paying attention to. It's just a chat box for teenagers who don't know what the discussion forum is for. 

I'm enjoying my time in NW so far and I'm a PvE player. I like the harvesting more than any other MMORPG for some reason. 

And I'm sure they will develop the PvE more in the future with new features and content. I've already paid for the game and there's no monthly fee so I can go back to it whenever I want after a break.
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]laseritYashaXKyleranViper482McSleaz
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2021
    etlar said:

...(maybe because im used to tab targeting,sometimes i also randomly open my inventory in combat, old habits die hard, since inventory button is on tab) 

Rebind inventory from Tab to "I." That was my first key rebind. Tab for inventory by default was weird.

My second rebind was autorun from = to Numlock. Like you say, old habits :)
    etlar[Deleted User]YashaXKyleranViper482
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Combat actually requires more skill than most mmos, specially ranged weapons...

That would depend on the player Entirely ..

And ime , its the most simplistic of them all ..

Easy,Boring,Repetitive,Unengaging,Unimaginative,Unchallenging system to date regardless of choices ..

And

Most encounters feel exactly the same as the 3000 before ....  

Which as the activity most players do the most of the time in an MMO , its not good
    For me the repetitiveness and boredom usually comes from the mob side of the equation.

If one doesn't like action combat, they're not going to like New Worlds. New World's combat is snappy, shoot a bow, shoot a musket it feels good.

If you looking for a survival type of experience NW is good for that. I say survival experience because of the combat and the crafting. Except here the combat doesn't totally suck and cooking is Extremely with a capital useful ;)

Combat in New World is responsive, it feels good. Imho that makes or breaks it, they can always add more skills and more weapons.

The systems is where this game shines, yes many quests are repetitive, but look at the systems in place.

People apparently like it so its all up to Amazon on where they take it from here. Stagnation kills every MMORPG.  
    [Deleted User]YashaX

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I am having a blast with this game, i dont know what has me so hooked...crafting, visuals, environment.... really a fun game.

I hope amazon has future plans to keep the game active.

Made one character on a crowded server and one on a low server. So i jump between the two, im trying out 2 different fighting methods and it works for me.
    [Deleted User]KyleranViper482
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

GabrielPR said:
    We need a Mount, a horse a cow something, all this walking around is a waste of time.
    I really wish they bought out a cow as a mount. Can you imagine the outrage? "The have FINALLY brought out a mount and its a COW ffs". :)
    [Deleted User]GladDog[Deleted User]Kyleran

No, you don't need to eat and drink or die. And you don't build a house, you buy property in the cities. You can decorate them at will though, it's similar to EQ2 or BDO, and you can hang trophies that give you various buffs too.

Having housing outdoors would ruin that beautiful immersive world anyway, it was a mess in UO. It's a feature I enjoy in survival games like Minecraft or Valheim but that I think does not work in a MMORPG.
    This is more me in fact, I find most games use survival elements too much "in place of content" rather than "adding depth". I can remember my house in other MMO's being described as a 'spartan boy pad' as there was hardly any furniture but loads of quest trophies on walls and stands. But a home is a 'MMO must' and good to see them following through with that.
    GladDog[Deleted User]
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Having a great time in game so far 75 hours in max harvesting skill already and starting to PvP for control of the map. 

I don't understand the comments about combat being bad...I think it's pretty clean, though a bit slow moving. In my mind it takes far more skill to manage the cool downs of 6 skills and weave them in with auto attacks rather than just spamming an ability bar with 20 icons on it and never having to auto attack...this combat takes actual skill to knowing when to use your skills and when to hold on to them.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaXKyleran
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    as said, there's the bones but...
    now ppl reached lv 60, trying to ilv and craft.
    nice!
    but now? ok, wars, some pvp, that's all and nothing news since betas.
    for me, it has 2 or 3 week of content if you dont rush, majority of streamers go back to their game in few days, once the hype goes down and their contract with amazon end (#sponsored).

a nice move will be to augment the server capacity, fix exploit, add xp loss when death etc.

seeing zerg running pve content was a thing... :)

and the walk..

a special thougt for the poor alone turkey in this world whichgive a feeling of emptyness.
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    edited October 2021
    Iselin said:
    etlar said:

...(maybe because im used to tab targeting,sometimes i also randomly open my inventory in combat, old habits die hard, since inventory button is on tab) 

Rebind inventory from Tab to "I." That was my first key rebind. Tab for inventory by default was weird.

My second rebind was autorun from = to Numlock. Like you say, old habits :)
    i rebinded my autorun to middle mouse(cause that button cant be trusted) and the F to some other mouse button.

But the obviousness of this, really struck me! (almost spilled coffee over the KB laughing! i have never thought of that! lol :)
    Thank you ! i cant get over i havent thought about that!!!!
    thanks again!
    laseritIselin
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Scot said:
    Guys what happens when it is transfer time and players transfer to your already overloaded server? The whole idea that server transfers is some sort of panacea to these problems is well known to be untrue. So why people are not questioning this who knows?

Have they said that overloaded servers will not be allowed to accept transfers? That plus the fact no one can know how many will leave each server makes this a false narrative.

Are you going to be transferring, or will you be hanging on waiting for others to go? Well what a surprise that's what most will do, hang on waiting for people to leave who are hanging on.

But it is a great narrative for the next stage in the drama. When this does not work that well, gaming journalists, streamers etc will be throwing up their hands in dismay and surprise at the entirely predicable.
    Why, oh why, did New World not use mega-servers?  It's a well proven tech that solves population problems, both high and low, so easily.  Also, it helps keep server costs down, since they would likely only pay for what they use.  Granted, costs are not huge since they own their own server structure.  But especially with a game as highly anticipated as this one, why no mega-servers?

I like this unusual child of EQ2 and ESO, its a lot of fun, but the server access problems are maddening, especially since they are being made worse by 'wall runners'.  People that don't want to wait for a queue leave their characters in autorun at a wall to keep they from going AFK.  That just makes the queue issue that much worse.  Honestly, if they don't fix the wall runner problem by the end of the week, I will likely help alleviate some of that stress by demanding a refund.  My time is very tight, and there are plenty of games out there that don't have this idiotic issue or ones similar.
    [Deleted User]laseritYashaXScot

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Time for the real review

For me this was waste of money since the quest line is super boring..several times i was drowsing away in to dreamland zzzz like a old man dying slowly...then the combat felt wierd since half of my ice shots dident hit or did anything..and i could not get a feeling on long 7 or 5 m is with the range for a skill to reach. My ice turrets just kept hitting and agro monsters that respawned within 10 - 20 sec and eventualy i ran out of mana and died.

The crafting seems well done or made and the harvesting of stuff also goes well.
    The graphics are also well made but not enough to why i should choose new world over ESO.
    Also having 3 skills bar or 6 if you weapon swap that seems boring. I want tons of skills to cast..at least 10 skills. Vanilla wow and Rift had like 20-30 skills or so.

No swim animation and we live in allmost 2022..geez

Que time was horrible but that aside since its new and just released.

I dont understand what people see in this game...
    if you just like to run around and gather stuff and craft stuff and sell or use then this game is for you..a crafting simulator. There is also Conan exile and mincraft and what not to play for that matter.

Walking around from npc to quest location takes ages and you can only recall to town once each 30 min or so...

Also the land or world at the moment seems very small...Like a pond that is devidet up in green yellow and purple factions.

I just feel like this game is wasting my time when i could stare out the windows and see the rain fall. cuz that would be more interresting hahaha
    HengistYashaXViper482

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I bet the game will be completely different in 6 or 7 months with player demands and Amazon being new to gaming. They will bend over backwards to please everyone which is a big mistake. The game will turn into bloat.
    Hyperpsycrow
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    As for mounts, cows could be use, but do not forget buffalos can also be used as mounts or to pull wagons.
    OldKingLog
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Time for the real review

Also having 3 skills bar or 6 if you weapon swap that seems boring. I want tons of skills to cast..at least 10 skills. Vanilla wow and Rift had like 20-30 skills or so.

Can't really comment on the other stuff but this is a more action oriented game. They typically don't have "20-30 skills."

That's the LAST thing I want in an action oriented game. It would be a  better review if you compared the combat to other action oriented mmorpg's.

Hyperpsycrow
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Sovrath said:
    Time for the real review

Can't really comment on the other stuff but this is a more action oriented game. They typically don't have "20-30 skills."

That's the LAST thing I want in an action oriented game. It would be a  better review if you compared the combat to other action oriented mmorpg's.

But, don't you think the action part of NW's action combat is pretty bad?

The core focus of action combat is to ensure that the player wins or loses based on the physical actions of the player. Whether that difficulty is based on reaction time, dexterity or accuracy doesn't matter, it is the physical actions of the player that determine the result.

NW delivers that for ranged combat. You have to aim, you have to be accurate. It did bother me that my musket never fired in a straight line, the bullet always went just slightly left of the crosshair, but that was easy to adapt to.

For melee combat......it really falls on its face compared to other action combat games that I've played. You don't really need to aim when in melee, so accuracy isn't much of a factor in the action. So, that leaves reaction times and dexterity. The lack of skills means you don't need much dexterity, you only need to hit a few different buttons around WASD and its all pretty easy.

So, that leaves reaction times. But they fall flat there too. Once you've started an attack, you are locked in to it. That means you simply cannot react once you've committed to an attack! This then encourages a strategy of just standing there blocking, then as soon as you've blocked, get off an attack of your own.

That really isnt action combat. There is hardly any action involved at all. In melee, there wasn't a single time where my physical actions as a player had any great bearing on the outcome of the fight. Strategy (which was basic) and stats played a far bigger role in the outcome of any given fight.

I even did some testing at one point.

Should I fight properly (blocking and dodging), or should I just stand there and bash on the enemy? What is quicker? If I block and dodge, it takes longer but I can avoid taking damage. If I just bash the enemy, the enemy dies quicker, but then I need to heal afterwards.

Ignoring the mechanics and just bashing the enemy was quicker. As long as I had food on me (which i always did), I could kill the enemy and then regen to full health quicker than if I played properly.

That seems like very bad design.

Now, I don't know what it is like at endgame or in PvP, maybe it gets better. I assume that boss mobs can't be taken on with the same strategy, in the same way that this strategy stopped working when I was facing more than 3 mobs.
    ScorchienkjempffKyleranScotMikehaHyperpsycrowBrainyeoloe