Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Will Be Playable Only On PC For the Foreseeable Future | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Amazon wants their own console, and New World will be one of the exclusives. 
    ScotBabuinix
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Can you imagine the social media chuntering if that is true. :D
    ConstantineMerus
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Reminds me of Zenimax's ESO launch, first on the PC to get most of the kinks out, then later on PS4.

The simplified UI design and controls is pretty much a dead give away that consoles are in the future.
    ConstantineMerusBabuinix

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Reminds me of Zenimax's ESO launch, first on the PC to get most of the kinks out, then later on PS4.

The simplified UI design and controls is pretty much a dead give away that consoles are in the future.
    But don't forget preparing for console is just like preparing for mobile, it has no effect on the quality of games. :)
    Kyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2021
    Kyleran said:

Maybe. We'll see, But I don't think this game lends itself well to playing with controllers. Especially not for ranged attacks. You have to be very precise with the aiming, hit boxes are small and there's no target lock or tracking.

That doesn't exactly scream console playable to me.

It's not like ESO where projectiles are homing missiles that do 90 degree turns :)
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Scot said:
    Um amazon has its own "console" and it's called the firestick. A few months ago they (amazon) said new world is likely to come to Luna. It has a controller and is a streaming service so it can be played anywhere.  TBH I would have given NW a go on luna had it been available at launch.  
    KyleranScot

Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

Maybe. We'll see, But I don't think this game lends itself well to playing with controllers. Especially not for ranged attacks. You have to be very precise with the aiming, hit boxes are small and there's no target lock or tracking.

It's not like ESO where projectiles are homing missiles that do 90 degree turns :)
    Fps game do that all the time on console.  As long as they segregate pc and console servers we're golden. 
    Kyleran

Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

Fps game do that all the time on console.  As long as they segregate pc and console servers we're golden. 
    The musket is a hitscan weapon. The bow isn't. So you have both types. AIM assist is a thing on PCs too. My son is a PlayStation console gamer and does really well in CoD. One problem is that it's a lot easier to cheat on PC than it is on console. So PC has aimbots are much more prevalent on PC. I say give people the option to queue together or filter out matches/servers that are cross platform. I'd much rather play with others across platform and deal with those issues and work them out than make walled gardens.
    No excuse for aimbots but that's where PC gamming is now, I can remember when players of Battlefield were shamed with videos showing their cheating. Now its a given, but aim assist just gnaws at gaming ethos too. You have game designers encouraging software assisted aiming, is it a surprise that gamers do not challenge aim bots as much as they used to? Once again both developers and players are to blame.
    Scot said:
    Um amazon has its own "console" and it's called the firestick. A few months ago they (amazon) said new world is likely to come to Luna. It has a controller and is a streaming service so it can be played anywhere.  TBH I would have given NW a go on luna had it been available at launch.  
    You don't expect me to know anything about consoles do you? :D
    maskedweasel
    Mouse is far superior for aiming. No matter how good you get with a controller, mouse is still better. And I am not like you old people whom biggest challenge in gaming was move out of the fire. I used to be a Q3A Pro and CS Pro for several years. And by Pro I don't mean that I played very much or that I had a pissy attitude, no, I mean that sponsors paid me to play on their team, money, not kisses. 

I owned consoles all my life too. So gamepads were always around. And lately I have been switching more to console gaming (Since PS4) because of personal reasons--hence the signature "Constantine, The Console Poster" a title bestowed upon me by none other than Lord @Scot the Welcomer--And I am as good as one can get with a gamepad. As in I can rocket-jump off a wall do a 180 and do a headshot. Still, mouse is vastly superior. I would beat my own ass if I could do a Mouse-Me vs Gamepad-Me, the Mouse-Me would score like 29430 to 0. 

Making a cross-play for shooters would only mean PC players would win most of the time. Now you might say aim-assist can level the field, no, it can't. It can make the life of gamepad players a bit easier, but can't bring any sort of balance. Because there are micro-movements, which aim-assist can be a bit of help, and I emphasize, only a bit, then there is macro-movement, which is WAY more important in a shooter and aim-assist can do nothing about that.

Here's a simple example: you are crossing a corridor, and you'd like to check both sides, try that with a mouse and a gamepad, and you'd constantly need to check your behind, try that with a gamepad, it's not about aiming really, the time difference means simply dying like an idiot. There are many more examples. 

So a balanced PvP is out of the picture. That aside, anything else is possible. Need I remind you guys that Destiny 2, an FPS (shared-world? MMOlite?) is a cross-platform game. Of course they have introduced some rules to avoid these problems. For instance: 

Matchmaking Overview
    Cross Play matchmaking will vary depending on the activity type and the platform that players of a fireteam are accessing Destiny 2 from.

Competitive Matchmaking
    Competitive game modes such as Gambit and Crucible playlists will be divided into two matchmaking pools, one for console players (PlayStation, Xbox, and Stadia) and one for PC players. If a console player joins a fireteam containing PC players, the fireteam will be matchmade into the PC player pool for the activity. Additionally, Trials of Osiris will require players to have Cross Play enabled to participate.
    Non-Competitive Matchmaking

Non-competitive activities and game modes, such as Strikes and social spaces, will matchmake across all available platforms and will not be separated into distinct pools.
    If Cross Play is turned off players will matchmake only with other players on their same platform who also have Cross Play disabled. 

So, in conclusion, New World is a cross-platform friendly title. 
    ScotIselin

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Mouse is far superior for aiming. No matter how good you get with a controller, mouse is still better.  
    ^^^
    TLDR

Mouse + KB, especially if the mouse is a good multi button mouse, is just plain better and this is not a "PC master race" thing - I've always owned and played on consoles as well and IMO there's just no comparison when fine control is an advantage.
    ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Scot said:
    Scot said:
    You don't expect me to know anything about consoles do you? :D
    haha I didn't really expect anyone here to follow Luna at all actually. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one gamer cares about game streaming services these days. 

So technically the Luna version doesn't have to be played on the firestick, you could also stream it from a PC with a mouse and keyboard. I don't really know how all that would work, I think if that was the case you kind of can't segregate PC and console players. 

I did try playing new world with a controller too, using the steam support. The combat is actually fine but most of the buttons aren't mapped which makes it difficult to do anything else but combat.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Iselin said:
    Mouse is far superior for aiming. No matter how good you get with a controller, mouse is still better.  
    ^^^
    TLDR

Mouse + KB, especially if the mouse is a good multi button mouse, is just plain better and this is not a "PC master race" thing - I've always owned and played on consoles as well and IMO there's just no comparison when fine control is an advantage.
    Mouse is an advantage over gamepad when you need fast, precise analog movements.  That's really the only case where a mouse offers an advantage.  Of course, that one thing alone is enough to make a lot of games basically unplayable on a gamepad, even if it's completely irrelevant to a lot of other games.
    Quizzical said:
    Iselin said:
    ^^^
    TLDR

Mouse is an advantage over gamepad when you need fast, precise analog movements.  That's really the only case where a mouse offers an advantage.  Of course, that one thing alone is enough to make a lot of games basically unplayable on a gamepad, even if it's completely irrelevant to a lot of other games.
    Yep that's why I said aiming. Fighting games, driving games, sport games, action-adventures, and Soulslike are a few genres that comes to mind that gamepad works better.