Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Launches Today - Are You Playing Amazon's New MMO? | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World Launches Today - Are You Playing Amazon's New MMO? | MMORPG.com

After multiple delays, New World is finally launching today. With so much excitement built up around Amazon's MMO, are you planning on jumping into its supernatural world?

Read the full story here

Comments

• tremmortremmor Member UncommonPosts: 80
    No. Ill wait a week or so, maybe even more to read about the endgame content
    TwistedSister77Scotdeniter
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    I'm waiting 1 month (at least) to play, let people play endgame and report back.  

But everyone who is, enjoy! :)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Watched a couple of videos on the gameplay...Doesn't look like my cup of tea...Also I'd rather support Indies than Amazon.
    saker
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    After the first time I beta tested it, I thought for sure I was going to get it. The second time I was just bored, so im skipping it. The game is just kinda boring to me.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I created a character at 2AM to lock in my name, but then went to bed and I haven't played yet. Work comes first.

Going to try very hard not to go hardcore into this one. I always make the mistake in MMORPGs of playing too much the first month or two, and then having to uninstall to break the addiction.

I think I can play at a healthy pace this time.
    --------------------------------------------
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited September 2021
    I am going to wait 3 months, and see.

You might ask, why 3 months.

For me, to test longevity of the game.

First, I want to make sure this is not some flash in the pan game, that in 3 months fads to oblivion, which, sadly happens, it also gives me time for the content locus to do their thing, and move on, so it makes for the players there, to be players that now, still want to be there months later, ideally, an overall better environment.

Now, the real question will become if I needed to get in today to be viable and competitive.

If I can't wait 3 months, log in and become viable, and competitive, in short order, this game is dead. A MMO's ability to attract new players will be severally hampered, if they can't bridge the time gap, and truth be told, while there should be some reward for being with a game longer, or even day 1, there also needs to be a means for new players to become viable quickly upon getting in, and that needs to hold for years down the line. That is the only way a game can legit thrive and grow.

So I will wait and see what 3 months brings me.
    Mendelsakerdeniter
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DeathStrokeDeathStroke Member UncommonPosts: 41

I understand your reasoning, and don't disagree with it, but the problem is, what if everyone follows this type of reasoning?  Or even 50% of people?  The game will fail even if it's good.  Sometimes, you have to take a chance if you think it looks good.  I usually give it a few days, see what people say and let the servers settle down. 
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Well...

So far a mixed reaction, but as far as I can see the negative votes are all due to server queues, not because of game quality or anything.

If Amazon sorts out the server capacity problem (which is, honestly, a disgrace for Amazon) the game will probably hit its first million players in the next hours.

Ungood
  • theGnadetheGnade Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Prolly. No point playing later when 90% of playerbase is dead.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Amazon surprised me by hooking me up with a deluxe edition which is great and all but....697,866 In-Game 13k queue, gonna wait a bit to log in lol.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Nope, no interest.
    sakerstrawhat0981

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I've heard people say they like the crafting and gathering, which other mmo are they similar to?

I'm not that interested in the bulk of the game but an engaging crafting and gathering system can be relaxing to play after work.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    I played in the beta twice - once in 2020, once in 2021, I did not play for long.

First time in 2020 I lasted 40 minutes in the game before uninstalling it out of boredom. The game and its world felt empty, unfinished, lacking, like it wasn't made by a AAA studio, but an indie studio. The faces of the characters are also so ugly I just can't pick anything.

Next time in 2021, just before the launch, I played it again, probably lasted for an hour, maybe two, reached the first settlement and called it quits. I don't think much has changed between what I saw in 2020 and what I saw in 2021.

In all honesty, I cannot justify spending $40 on this game. It feels so empty, like there is nothing to do in it. What will I do in such an empty game? I better spend those money to buy Gundabad for LOTRO, at least there will be story, quests and ACTUAL CONTENT.

I will wait to see how the game will evolve for about 2 months, maybe if it's doing well and on Black Friday there is a discount, I might get it, but I'm not paying $40 for an unfinished early pre-alpha like what this game currently offers - a whole lot of nothing.
    strawhat0981
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Well...

So far a mixed reaction, but as far as I can see the negative votes are all due to server queues, not because of game quality or anything.

If Amazon sorts out the server capacity problem (which is, honestly, a disgrace for Amazon) the game will probably hit its first million players in the next hours.

No, game quality is fine, and once you are in game, there's no lag, no mob respawn problems, nothing, it's smooth as a baby's ass.
    Which makes the stupid 2000 player server limit even less justifiable.
    Maybe that's why it is so smooth, I am sure they could increase that down the line mind you?
  • lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Haha where's the guy who said it was gonna have character roll backs, can't create characters, and be unplayable like the dumpster fire diablo 2 was?
    strawhat0981
  • lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited September 2021
    Aenghas said:
    I've heard people say they like the crafting and gathering, which other mmo are they similar to?

I'm not that interested in the bulk of the game but an engaging crafting and gathering system can be relaxing to play after work.
    It's not gonna be relaxing, according to what I read it's a forced pvp game, so your going to be battling with people, and have to be in a group. You might want to try a different game than spend 40 dollars on this. The most relaxing crafting and gathering I've seen is RuneScape 3 , especially since you can do it on mobile or PC. 

Looks like I was wrong, couldn't find a article with 100 percent, but my knowledge was old. I think you can avoid pvp altogether, hopefully some one with better knowledge chimes in. 
    edited September 2021
    Stizzled said:
    The best MMORPG in many years - but one of the worst launches I've experienced, too.
    How so? Global names sucks for sure, but from my anecdotal experience with it so far its been buttery smooth. I don't have any friends complaining about launch issues, just finding turkeys.

170k people player, 380k in the queue.
    Shall I say more ? ;)

In Europe it's a true nightmare. All asshats from Asia and American flocked on our servers, making it even worse. But I don't blame the players... I blame Amazon and their poor planning.

(That was like 2 hours ago, PST servers should open soon)

I mean if you want to be on a server with a name that you can actually pronounce like "Valhalla", sure you're going to be stuck in a massive queue.

But at the same time, there are plenty of other servers available that have little to no queues times. Although it's not prime-time yet, our US-EST server called "Atvatabar" had 100 person queue when I checked at noon today. And there were a lot of other servers that didn't have a queue at all.

lonesol said:
    Aenghas said:

It's not gonna be relaxing, according to what I read it's a forced pvp game, so your going to be battling with people, and have to be in a group. You might want to try a different game than spend 40 dollars on this. The most relaxing crafting and gathering I've seen is RuneScape 3 , especially since you can do it on mobile or PC. 

Looks like I was wrong, couldn't find a article with 100 percent, but my knowledge was old. I think you can avoid pvp altogether, hopefully some one with better knowledge chimes in. 

Yes, the game is no longer forced PvP. You can toggle PvP on or off as you wish from towns. However, when you have your PvP flag on you receive 5% bonus to exp.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Well...

No, game quality is fine, and once you are in game, there's no lag, no mob respawn problems, nothing, it's smooth as a baby's ass.
    This I really don't understand at all. Especially in the year 2021.

I mean, many years ago early MMO servers had like 10k - 20k player limits per server.

Especially Amazon should know better, running AWS that has awesome server scaling features! /Facepalm
    Wellspring
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Ungood said:
    I am going to wait 3 months, and see.

You might ask, why 3 months.

For me, to test longevity of the game.

First, I want to make sure this is not some flash in the pan game, that in 3 months fads to oblivion, which, sadly happens, it also gives me time for the content locus to do their thing, and move on, so it makes for the players there, to be players that now, still want to be there months later, ideally, an overall better environment.

Now, the real question will become if I needed to get in today to be viable and competitive.

If I can't wait 3 months, log in and become viable, and competitive, in short order, this game is dead. A MMO's ability to attract new players will be severally hampered, if they can't bridge the time gap, and truth be told, while there should be some reward for being with a game longer, or even day 1, there also needs to be a means for new players to become viable quickly upon getting in, and that needs to hold for years down the line. That is the only way a game can legit thrive and grow.

3 months is a reasonable time.  For me, if I ever get into this one, it will be a year, probably longer.

My biggest concern is that anyone joining late will be hopelessly behind those trying to log in today.  I haven't seen a role (other than 'target') that someone can fill if they do join late.  Same with any new MMORPG.  I just don't think any developer has really thought this through.  I am willing to be surprised, though.

Ungood

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

JeroKane said:
    Well...

I mean, many years ago early MMO servers had like 10k - 20k player limits per server.

Especially Amazon should know better, running AWS that has awesome server scaling features! /Facepalm

I don't know if it's the technical limits of the server that are the problem. But rather the limitations of how many players the new player content can support. If 10k - 20k players were all doing newbie quests at the same time, no one would get any quests done. So they're scaling it to allow the first wave of players to get off the beach.

At least that's what I THINK is happening.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm not playing, and likely never will.

Whilst I can definitely see the improvements to the game since my first alpha a couple of years ago, it just isn't the game for me. Biggest sticking point was shallow combat. I mean, I knew it would be shallow going in, it is action combat after all, but I'm always willing to give something a try just in case I was wrong. Beyond that, I could never connect with the IP, I found the world and the enemies within it to be very generic and boring.

That said, I wish the game all the success it can find.

New World is the first AAA MMO released by a western studio since 2014. That is insane! So, whilst I don't think it is a good game and I don't think it'll have good retention numbers, I want it to succeed for no other reason than I don't want other big studios to be scared away from the genre.
    Ungood
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    JeroKane said:
    Well...

I don't know if it's the technical limits of the server that are the problem. But rather the limitations of how many players the new player content can support. If 10k - 20k players were all doing newbie quests at the same time, no one would get any quests done. So they're scaling it to allow the first wave of players to get off the beach.

At least that's what I THINK is happening.

I think when you boil it down, the world really isn't big enough to support that many concurrent players, unless you were doing phasing as well. There are 2 queues, the new player queue, and the open world queue. From what I've seen the New Player seems to have larger numbers, but moves faster (supporting your theory) and the Open World has less, but moves slower.

I don't know what the tech set-up is, and odds are if you explained it to me, I probably still wouldn't understand it, But I would be highly surprised if Amazon did not offer even more servers in the next 24 hours. The first batch helped, but they are full too.

With a free transfer in a couple of weeks, seems like it would be the easiest solution to get everyone into the game, and then deal with your server choice a little later on.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    If sitting in the queue counts ... then yes I'm playing!
    OldKingLog