Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Announces a full DB wipe in Alpha 3.15

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
Why I can't seriously consider SC as a proper "game" yet. 

No permanent progression, no point in playing.

”Alpha 3.15 Database Wipe

That’s right, the time has finally come. Back when we introduced Long Term Persistence in Alpha 3.8.2, we communicated that database wipes would happen, potentially even on a quarterly basis. Fortunately though, we have not had to do a full wipe even once in the last 18 months. Until now."

Read the full details over on the SC main site.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Well, SC is in early alpha, so that sorta comes with the territory.  I don't like playing games without persistence, but that's upfront too.  

It's nice if it gets announced beforehand, if only to get some cool screenshots in with your present setup.
    ScotAsm0deus

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Kyleran said:
    Why I can't seriously consider SC as a proper "game" yet. 

No permanent progression, no point in playing.

A wipe means it's not a proper game?  Back in my day, every time we pressed the power button, it was a complete wipe of our progress!  And did we complain about that?  Okay, so we did.  But you young whippersnappers need to learn to accept that wipes are part of life, even in real games.  And get off my lawn!
    ErillionBabuinix
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    At least their toons will get to examine cave poop and be assassinated by rogue elevators again for the first time. Can't buy those experiences.
    Erillion

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I am guessing their ships and other cash shop purchases are not lost?
    ErillionMendel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2021
    Wargfoot said:
    To me this would be an attractive thing about a game I was serious about.
    Try different things before everyone gets a reset.

In all fairness there's definitely a strong subset of gamers who enjoy fresh start servers ... POE restarts with every new season...

Just not my cup of tea.

No, those are retained of course.

What would be nice is to have them set up two universes, one for those who backed the game and a second where previous crowd funding purchases were not applicable, a truly fresh start for everyone regardless of their wallet size.

Yeah, about as unlikely to happen as the game ever actually releasing...

TheocritusErillion

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited September 2021
    The game has not launched so I am really glad there is no permanent progression, what they can do in game seems to please the Argonauts, that is fans happy to be spending money on ships on a mythical journey to launch.

Just kidding it will launch, had to say that otherwise the White Knight and He Who Calls Forth Unicorns will get summoned to the thread. :)
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>> that otherwise the White Knight and He Who Calls Forth Unicorns will get summoned to the thread. >>>

Looks around and over his shoulder ....   uh oh

Have fun
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>>
    That’s right, the time has finally come. Back when we introduced Long Term Persistence in Alpha 3.8.2, we communicated that database wipes would happen, potentially even on a quarterly basis. Fortunately though, we have not had to do a full wipe even once in the last 18 months. Until now. So, let’s talk about what this means, why it's important, and how often you can expect wipes in the future.

As of 3.15, Long Term Persistence (LTP) is broken up into three distinct parts: Items, Wallet (aUEC), and Reputation. Going forward, we will be able to wipe specific parts of LTP individually as needed (for example, wiping Reputation while leaving Wallet and Items intact). This level of flexibility will allow us to do necessary wipes while minimizing the impact on the community.

With this update, all three pillars of data will be wiped, which actually has quite a few benefits. First, Reputation has undergone its first tuning pass since its launch in Alpha 3.13, which will necessitate progress being wiped in order to implement. Second, there’s a few account-related issues/bugs that some players have been unable to resolve with character resets or workarounds, and this wipe will assist in remedying those issues.

Third, and most important of all, players have been accumulating wealth in the persistent universe with no economic sinks to balance it. While Selling and other sinks are being developed, it's extremely helpful for designers to have additional data on how players acquire and spend money. Putting players at a level playing field would provide this data, and this will be exceedingly important as Death of a Spaceman, Full Persistence, Server Meshing and other key pillar technologies come online. As those milestones approach, you can expect for additional wipes as necessary, mostly for similar reasoning listed above.

The primary reason for the wipe, however, is the upcoming changes to how items and inventory work in Star Citizen. The entire system for items has been reworked from the ground up as we make a large step towards a fully physicalized universe. Tune in to Inside Star Citizen tomorrow to learn more.

Of course, in the event of any LTP wipe, all of your account attributed items (purchases, subscriber flair, rewards, etc.) are safe.

Lastly, we know that many of you dedicated yourself to the CDF to help defend Stanton in recent XenoThreat attacks. We’re also aware that many of you took full advantage of this heroic and lucrative opportunity, and don’t want you to feel it was for naught. For this reason, we’re currently exploring the feasibility of awarding aUEC post-wipe to those who participated in the event. Stay tuned for more details on that front and we’ll see you in the ‘verse!
    >>>>

Have fun
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2021
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    I was just critted by your wall of text that the OP had already nicely linked
    ScotErillionTiller

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Kyleran said:
    Wargfoot said:
    To me this would be an attractive thing about a game I was serious about.
    Try different things before everyone gets a reset.

In all fairness there's definitely a strong subset of gamers who enjoy fresh start servers ... POE restarts with every new season...

Just not my cup of tea.

No, those are retained of course.

What would be nice is to have them set up two universes, one for those who backed the game and a second where previous crowd funding purchases were not applicable, a truly fresh start for everyone regardless of their wallet size.

Yeah, about as unlikely to happen as the game ever actually releasing...

I imagine any ship and stuff you had via pledging or w/e kind  you will keep reuse etc but anything bought via in game playing such a ships or weapons or w/e you can buy in game will be gone so will any creds or cash or progress in game.

This is fine and what needs to happen and when the game actually launches...eventually before I die of old age everything needs to be wiped again.

Lets not forget this is in alpha so....that why I haven played or tried it last few years even though I got an original alpha packge that includes both the online game and sq42.
    Kyleran

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.