Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epic Appeals Judge's Decision in Apple Lawsuit as Not Going Far Enough | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited September 2021
    Vrika said:
    Scot said:
    That question was not meant to be a hand grenade guys. :D

To me Apple does not seem to be a monopoly as others provide similar services, if they were then I would see why action needs to be taken. If you follow Epic's thinking through there would be no console exclusives etc because every game must be allowed on every platform to buy and play.
    I think you're mistaken about Epic's logic here:

The logic is that hardware maker (Apple) is not allowed to limit payment options. The other way still works perfectly well as the software maker can choose to place those limitations for their software, and make stuff like console exclusives.
    I don't use the Apple Store and only very occasionally pick up a decent feebie from Epic. But the AS must make its money on sales, so you are saying they can't be allowed to decide what Apple's take should be? I can't agree with that, but I read what Iceage said and did think that jump in take from 15 to 30% was very steep.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Wargfoot said:
    laserit said:
    You will find that most of your favourite everyday items in the store are marked up a lot more than 30% some items as much as 300-400% by the time it hits the shelf, sometimes worse.

If I supply materials in my business, I mark the materials up 20% which is pretty standard.

Everytime a product changes hands through a middle man 30% is pretty standard. 

If you find out the percentage the store is getting from the price you see on the shelf compared to what the manufacturer received, you will probably want to puke.

There might be plenty to criticize when it comes to the business model but the percentages they’re taking are pretty standard.
    My wife worked in a clothing store for awhile.

A $50.00 dress would cost the store $8.00 - so even at 50% off they were still at 300% markup.

I tell my wife that even when the store sells clothing at 70-80% off they are not selling at a loss.  

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited September 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DildaManDildaMan Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    You can appeal any decision you disagree with from an inferior court. The characterization of "winning" or "losing" is really only important in figuring out who pays attorneys' fees.

Epic largely overreached in what relief it sought and what it could prove at trial. 
  • dartseeddartseed Member UncommonPosts: 23
    edited September 2021
    Would this move force me to use a payment method outside Apples? I honestly dont give a sh*t about no developers cut on the game, I just want to use Apples secured payment method on my iPhone.

E: to clarify, I dont mind 3rd party payment methods being an option as long as Apples is there to use as default. I don't need Epic telling me to use something else when Apple's works just fine.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    dartseed said:
    Would this move force me to use a payment method outside Apples? I honestly dont give a sh*t about no developers cut on the game, I just want to use Apples secured payment method on my iPhone.

E: to clarify, I dont mind 3rd party payment methods being an option as long as Apples is there to use as default. I don't need Epic telling me to use something else when Apple's works just fine.
    There are some large companies like Netflix who want you to use their own account system and payment method, but most small companies should be just happy with Apple's default method since it's easy to implement.

Potentially you could also see more situations where you have the freedom to choose your own payment method, and the seller transferring costs of that payment method directly for you. For example you could see a microtransaction that costs $10 through Apple's payment method costing you $7.80 through another payment processor.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Vrika said:
    dartseed said:

For example you could see a microtransaction that costs $10 through Apple's payment method costing you $7.80 through another payment processor.
    And this is just a reason why Apple big cut is pathetic. 

It affects both the Developers and the Players with increased prices, more cash-shop items, etc. 

Also, look what Epic did after they got massive success with Fortnite. 

Fortnite's commercial success enabled Epic to make several changes to its other product offerings. In July 2018, it reduced the revenue cut that it took for assets sold on the Unreal Engine Marketplace from 30% to 12%.[59] Epic launched the Epic Games Store digital storefront to compete with services like Steam and GOG.com, not only taking a 12% cut of revenue compared to the industry standard of 30%, but also eliminated the 5% cut for games using the Unreal engine sold via the storefront.

Some will say "Its marketing". Well, I would like to see that "Marketing" from Apple too. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    dartseed said:

For example you could see a microtransaction that costs $10 through Apple's payment method costing you $7.80 through another payment processor.

It affects both the Developers and the Players with increased prices, more cash-shop items, etc. 

Fortnite's commercial success enabled Epic to make several changes to its other product offerings. In July 2018, it reduced the revenue cut that it took for assets sold on the Unreal Engine Marketplace from 30% to 12%.[59] Epic launched the Epic Games Store digital storefront to compete with services like Steam and GOG.com, not only taking a 12% cut of revenue compared to the industry standard of 30%, but also eliminated the 5% cut for games using the Unreal engine sold via the storefront.

Some will say "Its marketing". Well, I would like to see that "Marketing" from Apple too. 

Please don't forget that this court case also exposed the fact that Epic's storefront, with it's lower cut of all sales, is not expected to make a profit for many years yet.

So, whilst Apple's 30% cut may sound ridiculous, Epic's lower cut is not profitable at all and may never end up being profitable. 

Also, finally, please remember that digital storefronts taking 30% was still a better prospect than retail shops. This is an ever changing world of business, with more competition and more time I'm sure we'll look back on 30% cuts as crazy, even though 10 years ago we looked at them as amazing.
    Scot
  • dartseeddartseed Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Vrika said:
    you could see a microtransaction that costs $10 through Apple's payment method costing you $7.80 through another payment processor.
    It's a possibility but very unlikely to happen. I remember when developers were saying that buying digital would be cheaper than buying physical copies of games due to the elimination of having to print, package, and ship the goods.

Honestly, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter as long as these billionaires make their money.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I don't use Apple products they are ridiculously overpriced. Happy with my Android.
    IceAge

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited September 2021
    IceAge said:
    Vrika said:
    dartseed said:

Please don't forget that this court case also exposed the fact that Epic's storefront, with it's lower cut of all sales, is not expected to make a profit for many years yet.

So, whilst Apple's 30% cut may sound ridiculous, Epic's lower cut is not profitable at all and may never end up being profitable. 

Also, finally, please remember that digital storefronts taking 30% was still a better prospect than retail shops. This is an ever changing world of business, with more competition and more time I'm sure we'll look back on 30% cuts as crazy, even though 10 years ago we looked at them as amazing.
    This is typical thinking from the "everything must be free" brigade, the fact businesses do not exist solely to serve their needs goes over their heads. Mind you 30% is a bit steep in my eyes, 25% is quite sufficient for a healthy profit.