Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom Acquires Entire Conan IP, New Game in Development | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageFuncom Acquires Entire Conan IP, New Game in Development | MMORPG.com

Funcom, the studio behind Age of Conan, Conan Exiles, Anarchy Online and The Secret World, has acquired Cabinet Group, which owns many IPs including everything under the Conan umbrella. New projects are already under way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736
    Please don't be a mobile game...
    rojoArcueidScotetlarUrdenApridiseMcSleazViper482cheyaneHJ-NavarreRandomCasualtyand 7 others.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I would love a sequel to Age of Conan or The Secret World that fixes everything that was wrong with those games while moving the story forward.
    RemaliAlomarMendelViper482cheyaneHJ-NavarreTokkengastovski1sschruppTacticalZombehand 6 others.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Holey Moley! I wonder how this will affect the Marvel Comics line?
    maskedweasel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PhaedruslivesPhaedruslives Member UncommonPosts: 122
    I'd love a Souls-like set somewhere in Hyboria. The spider-haunted alleys of Zamora or something like that.
    gastovski1eoloe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    edited September 2021
    Anarchy Online, AoC and TSW were eventually fine games, they did not always hit the flavour of the year template but they were good.

They also now have the Solomon Kane and Mutant Year Zero IP's they might be doing something with that.
    TokkenultimateduckGorweHengistCosmicwrathTwistedSister77
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Release Conan chop chop already!!!
    sschruppTwistedSister77
  • LunaCristLunaCrist Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Please let it be an open-world RPG like the Witcher or Dragon Age but with the cool classes and action/fighting of Age of Conan. I don't need survival, I don't need tactical, I don't want massive PVP. I just want to play as a character in the world of Hyboria.
    UrdenSamhaelrojoArcueidMendelAsm0deussschruppTacticalZombehGorweTwistedSister77

Your love of the halfling leaf has clearly slowed your mind...

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       I sold all my FCMKF stock  last year to TCEHY  Tencent  , Owned quite a bit to , was a great move , i also have stock in Tencent who now owns Funcom , and with there backing Funcom will deliver some great new games several have been in the works for a while now and new content for existing titles  ..

Funcom has some really talented people with great ideas , with Tencent now backing them they should deliver some really good gaming experiences for us ..
    WalkinGlenndeniter
  • BooshooBooshoo Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Imagine AO with updated graphics and some more content. This game was lightyears ahead of any mmorpg back then. The amount of skills/crafts and tuning options was enormous. plenty of classess and each of them with unique flavour....
    No other game offered that much till recent days.
    Viper482sschruppAgent_JosephultimateduckZeneren
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Meh the Conan world just does not interest me....now a new AO....That would peak my interest.
    Agent_JosephAlomarultimateduck
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Cabinent group has nothing to do with paradox right? Cause if they had the WOD IP now....

• SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Something with John Carter would be cool...just not a fan of Funcom's MMO's.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Loved Age of Conan, got a bad rap after crappy release.
    ScorchienScotAlomarZenerenTwistedSister77
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Viper482 said:
    Loved Age of Conan, got a bad rap after crappy release.

Keep an eye on AoC ... there will be news

TokkensschruppAlomarZenerenGorwerojoArcueid
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    I would love a sequel to Age of Conan or The Secret World that fixes everything that was wrong with those games while moving the story forward.

That is impossible. Thanks to that monster Amiel and what he did to TSW and the community, especially us, grandmasters. Never forget that shitty move they pulled with SWL! TSW was the best MMORPG, but I haven't logged in in all the long years since the disgraceful move to SWL.

The only way to save their face and return at least one ounce of dignity would be to convert TSW into a single player game with updated graphics, animations and combat and offer it to all the grandmasters for free and to all the other TSW / SWL players with a huge discount. Even then, Funcom would have to do that while kneeling and begging the players for forgiveness. Until then, Funcom can go fuck themselves.

That game ended when Bylos left. After that it was just a shameless performance by a bunch of con artists led by that tool Amiel.

rojoArcueid
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Who is actually still getting excited about the Conan IP?
    HJ-NavarreAlomarkarnivoreoloe
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 102
    I fucking love Conan. (I just wanted to say that.)
    SovrathTokkenTacticalZombehAlomarVoidfarereoloe
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited September 2021
    Utinni said:

um me?

Now, if it WAS John Carter or Elric IP then "hook it to my face!"
    TokkenKidRiskAsm0deusTacticalZombehMendelAlomarHengist
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Utinni said:

Probably everyone who grew up reading Conan books and comics and are into games.
    TokkenKidRiskmeerclarTacticalZombehAlomarSovrathTwistedSister77
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Age of Conan needs a non arrow key combat server for us old timers.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    I am a huge Conan fan, read the books and comic books and played the games.  I think the Conan fantasy world is very rich with stories and adventures!
    Scoteoloe

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Age of Conan needs a non arrow key combat server for us old timers.
    Not the same, but Conan Exiles doesn't use it, just a straight mouse button masher.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    There's so much more they could do with Age of Conan; clean it up, bug squash and plenty of regions they could add to the game, but maybe doing a new game from the ground up is easier than figuring out old code.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    Exiles must have done way better than people thought it would.

Was not long ago that Funcom was in serious financial trouble.

Either way, I hope they pull off a great game. They have always had great ideas for games, but the actual execution...not so much, other than Exiles, which was well done, IMO.
    Sovrath