Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussion: Why Hardcore Full Loot PVP MMO's Fail

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
Interesting listen, pretty decent summery.

As for myself I don't mind PvP and actually prefer games with a flag system and PvP in the open world as opposed to instances. These days I hate full loot PvP games as I would rather stick to one on one duels until squad based open world zergs until my character is strong enough to survive a fight against equal level opponents. I just do not have time for the death treadmill while leveling in owpvp games some folks seem to love. It doesn't add fun and danger, it it adds annoyance and headache and wastes real time and all you are doing is providing fodder to some chuckle head.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

KylerankitaradMendelAlBQuirky

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Just a FYI, Josh does satirical videos more for entertainment/comedy than fact. I've had discussions and debated his arguments in the past and he has stated it himself. 

As for your argument, yeah... it sounds like you're done with PvP for now.

Interesting assumption, though completely inaccurate.
    AlBQuirky
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited September 2021

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited September 2021
    I suppose I should say I was implying large scale PvP. Specifically because of...

" I just do not have time for the death treadmill while leveling in owpvp games some folks seem to love. It doesn't add fun and danger, it it adds annoyance and headache and wastes real time and all you are doing is providing fodder to some chuckle head."

You went from full loot PvP to OW PvP.

Those things are not mutually exclusive they can exist in the same game.

It is pretty obvious as someone else pointed out but I believe the best iteration of PvP is in those games like Quake and other games where the playing field is balanced. You are looking at skill rather than being ganged up on by larger numbers.
    AlBQuirky

edited September 2021

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited September 2021
    Watching it now. I found it funny that he had a page from this site with a several banned players. Um "oops."
    So far he's not wrong, the mmorpg genre IS small compared to other video games.

Watched the whole video and I agree.
    MendelAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited September 2021

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Old video. Watched it a month ago.

Anyway... he highlights quite well the main problem with full loot: it's great killing someone and getting some great loot but it also sucks to be the one losing the loot you spent hours or weeks getting.

The typical solution to that has been to make the loot easy to get so you don't lose anything that's not easy to replace but in turn you also don't get great loot when killing someone. A side effect of this is that this "solution" kills off an MMO game play loop that most players find attractive: getting epic loot.

New world actually has what I think is the best of both worlds: you can get epic loot when you kill someone but it doesn't come from them - it's loot generated from a similar RNG loot table as that used for mob drops.

Probably not good enough for the real hardcore PvPers but fuck them :)
    SovrathUngoodYashaXKyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I love the video at 6:40 where he shows these forums and half of the commenters are banned...

TillerMendelAlBQuirkyXarko

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I love the video at 6:40 where he shows these forums and half of the commenters are banned...

It's a thread from 2009. 12 years is plenty of time to get yourself banned.
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Didn't watch the video but I know the reason. PvE players and casuals are the biggest part of the community. PvPers don't want to admit it. But when your majority of PvEers, crafters and casuals feel too beat up and move on. PvPers get board there are less people to kill. So the PvPers start to leave as well. 
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkySavageHorizon
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    They mostly fail, because there are not enough people want to be someone else's content and entertainment. I mean, obviously there are people that embrace the idea, but as it stands, there are not enough, so, only the very few truly exceptional games, can pull in the numbers to thrive.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited September 2021
    We've whipped this dead horse many times......In general, PVP appeals to a certain type of player, especially full loot PVP....I've never been ineterested because I have never seen it done well.....Usually you are either fighting players that are way more powerful. have numbers, or have spent alot in a P2W cash shop..... I just see most PVP MMOs as a waste of time.
    AlBQuirky
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This is new and intresting just like the genre. Thanks OP.
    YashaXKyleranTheocritusUngoodAlBQuirkyXarko
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CanPantherCanPanther Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Wizardry Online was a full loot PvP game that had a cash shop with RNG boxes. Players could possibly win 'hidden slots', where you could place gear, and still use them, but it would be invisible to looters.

Great concept. Bad implementation.
    AlBQuirky
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill

- Rush, Freewill (Album: Permanent Waves)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    bcbully said:
    Did someone body snatch Bcbully when we weren't looking? :)
    KidRiskUngoodAlBQuirkyXarko
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited September 2021
    I need to do a thread I guess called:

Why Hardcore Full PvE Only MMO's Fail

Without any sort of PvP a MMORPg's longevity is put at risk.

DibdabsKidRiskAlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    bcbully said:
    Did someone body snatch Bcbully when we weren't looking? :)
    Naw, he was just false flagging us.

ScotAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Wizardry Online was a full loot PvP game that had a cash shop with RNG boxes. Players could possibly win 'hidden slots', where you could place gear, and still use them, but it would be invisible to looters.

Also had a possibility of permadeath as I recall....ugh
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    edited September 2021
    Most hardcore full loot PVP MMO's fail because (i) one can't refuse to participate, (ii) there is no safety net and (iii) justice has to be enforced with the sword.

AlBQuirky
    edited September 2021

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited September 2021
    Iselin said:
    fuck them :)
    Thank you Sir! 

That is actually a nice formula. Is it as the bigger player you'd kill the better of a loot you'd get? 
    AlBQuirky
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited September 2021
    Kyleran said:

Also had a possibility of permadeath as I recall....ugh

LOL yeah I remember playing the beta for this.....I remember being in a cave and killing my first mob....I had maybe 25-30% of my health left, and some loser attacks  me and kills me two seconds after I killed the mob.....Games like this just tick me off.... I never understood the "I have to kill other players" mentality....It had some sort of mechanic where there was a chance you lived, and I did but was immdeiately killed again a couple minutes later and that time I didn't get my character back..... Uninstall.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.