Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

According to Twitter, Artcraft Entertainment is laying people off

BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
Have seen a couple of posts of people on twitter saying that there have been some layoffs at the parent company of Crowfall, Artcraft Entertainment.

Can anyone confirm this?

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Eh.. I hate to say it, but I liked the Alpha/Beta better then the Live.

Also, a LOT of people in my guild, have announced they are taking breaks, and willingly getting listed as inactive, so that our guild has only the most active players listed, due to the smaller alliance numbers allowed, this has become a part of how to play the game.

Fucking sucks if you ask me.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Saw that, too. Hasn't been officially announced yet, tho. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Just like AO did after launch, not saying Cf is safe but it happens and you can come back from it. Indeed a few jobs always go after launch that's normal, it really depends on how many left.

Albion Online Confirms Layoffs Following Launch - MMOs.com
    [Deleted User]UngoodYashaX
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Another bit of Edge nonsense anyone know what the difference is between copying a "friendly link" to the title page and copying and pasting a URL?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Once a game launches, the developer usually does either lay people off or move them to other projects.  When a studio exists to create one particular game, you can't just move employees to another project when the previous one is done because that other project doesn't exist.  And so you get layoffs.

While you still need some people to maintain the game, fixing problems as they show up and adding a few features here and there takes massively less development work than creating the game from scratch in the first place.  For a lot of employees, what you hired them to do is now done.
    UngoodKyleranYashaXScot
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    But how can that be?  When we pointed out the piss poor population numbers we were told by some that everything was great! Or making pedantic  arguments like “the bot missed 110 people” worldwide.   Bet those people aren’t even playing anymore. Not that they will ever admit how wrong they were.  This ending was obvious to see back when they couldn’t even give away FREE keys to the beta a few weeks before launch.  But some people assured us that all was well, and everyone was “on a break”. 

Its a shame though, because each patch gets CF closer to what they should have launched with, but you usually only get one bite at the apple. For every NoMans Sky there are 100 that fail to recover.   Hope they can come back eventually as I still have 3 years of VIP :smile:

Reminder to developers: Do not listen to the Ivory Tower.  

ScotMendelYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    They are moving faster than i originally anticipated ,

I first said during CB .. F2P inside 13 months and shuttered in 3 years ..

I am upgrading there cycle to F2P inside 10 months and shuttered in 2.5 years
    MendelKyleran[Deleted User]
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Development does take more staff than support, so it's not unlikely that some jobs were always targeted as 'temporary'.  I hope this was communicated long before the pink slips were distributed.  Anyway, much like another corporate hurricane, I am sorry for any affected.

Ungood

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Ungood said:

Also, a LOT of people in my guild, have announced they are taking breaks, and willingly getting listed as inactive, so that our guild has only the most active players listed, due to the smaller alliance numbers allowed, this has become a part of how to play the game.

At least you did your best to defend the game  ;)
    Ungood
    Mendel said:
    Development does take more staff than support, so it's not unlikely that some jobs were always targeted as 'temporary'.  I hope this was communicated long before the pink slips were distributed.  Anyway, much like another corporate hurricane, I am sorry for any affected.

They were asked this months ago. They claimed that they would immediately shift into producing their second game…

Linif

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Allein said:
    Ungood said:

At least you did your best to defend the game  ;)
    I wish the live was better, I really liked the Alpha and Beta, like, I really was enjoying them, even half finished, but.. Live just feels.. meh to me. 

And with the new changes, and all that, no doubt, there is some dissent.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Scorchien said:
    They are moving faster than i originally anticipated ,

I first said during CB .. F2P inside 13 months and shuttered in 3 years ..

I am upgrading there cycle to F2P inside 10 months and shuttered in 2.5 years
    nahh.. Slap still needs his 3 years of ViP, to cash in on.

Bet those people aren’t even playing anymore.
    Weren't you getting all hot and bothered with New World anyway.

Also, a Developer should have a vision and a demographic they want to attract, be damned what anyone else says, especially not the whiners.

Ungood said:

Also, a Developer should have a vision and a demographic they want to attract, be damned what anyone else says, especially not the whiners.
    Give it up.  You were wrong about every single argument regarding this game.  If they had started listening back in beta instead of listening to folks like you saying “all is well” maybe the changes they have made since launch would have been made before launch and they wouldn’t have hemorrhaged players and be laying people off.

Instead they launched a game version that maybe 2-3k people want to play worldwide.  

Launching a game where you can have 500 player guilds but only 250 players can even fit in a zone?  Fucking dumb.  Allowing those 500 player guilds to ally up?  Even dumber.   You have to work within the constraints of the game engine.  If they can only support 250 in a zone, that is what the caps should have been built around.  That’s simple common sense for most people.   Instead they listen to fools that wanted 2000 player Zerg alliances… and this is the result: A dying population and a company laying off team members.

The results speak for themselves so please don’t even try and respond.

ScorchienSensaiYashaX

Ungood said:

Give it up.  You were wrong about every single argument regarding this game.  If they had started listening back in beta instead of listening to folks like you saying “all is well” maybe the changes they have made since launch would have been made before launch and they wouldn’t have hemorrhaged players and be laying people off.

Instead they launched a game version that maybe 2-3k people want to play worldwide.  

Launching a game where you can have 500 player guilds but only 250 players can even fit in a zone?  Fucking dumb.  Allowing those 500 player guilds to ally up?  Even dumber.   You have to work within the constraints of the game engine.  If they can only support 250 in a zone, that is what the caps should have been built around.  That’s simple common sense for most people.   Instead they listen to fools that wanted 2000 player Zerg alliances… and this is the result: A dying population and a company laying off team members.

and yet.. it's the post launch changes that are driving away the larger guilds, which, like, is about the dumbest fucking move anyone could make, I mean, LOL, what kind of game company does things to make some tiny 9 person guild happy at the expense of a 500 player guild. 

While that Seems dumb as all hell, that is what they are doing.

Personally, I think they should have focused more to increase the zone cap of players, after all they made their own engine supposedly just for large scale combat and wars, and allowing larger alliances to flourish, IE: Make More Players Happy.

But as opposed to making it fun for more players to engage, they have done... well, whatever the fuck you think was a good idea, but you know, making stupid moves that make your kind of player happy, well time will tell if that was the right move.

My guild has already lost more than ten times the number of players then your guild ever had.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Ungood said:

there is really something to be said for a person that knows when they were wrong and can just stand up and admit .." I really had this wrong"

Then we have a few people in regards to Crowfall who were so adamant and loud voices of great it  was and will be ..

The fact they spend there time skirting around with weak excuses one after another says alot about a lack of character..

Crowfall was bad / is bad and will continue to bad to the /.end

There is nothing wrong with being wrong

there is alot wrong with being sooo wrong and not having the moral fiber to admit after some people were Hyping Crowfall so loudly  and insulting the communtiy here that dared not agree with the them at the same time ..  .. Even in the face of actual facts and data .
    YashaX
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:

there is really something to be said for a person that knows when they were wrong and can just stand up and admit .." I really had this wrong"

Then we have a few people in regards to Crowfall who were so adamant and loud voices of great it  was and will be ..

The fact they spend there time skirting around with weak excuses one after another says alot about a lack of character..

there is alot wrong with being sooo wrong and not having the moral fiber to admit after some people were Hyping Crowfall so loudly  and insulting the communtiy here that dared not agree with the them at the same time ..  .. Even in the face of actual facts and data .
    Agreed. Even above you have a guy refusing to see the obvious.  “They should have focused more to increase the zone cap”.  Geeez.  It’s like no clue that they literally DOUBLED the zone cap over the last year.  They brought in Unity to help.  It was their main focus.   He’s suck in a stupid “my guild is bigger than your guild” mentality.

Again, the proof is clear as day for all to see:  They fucked up the launch of the game, which others here defended.   You can’t launch a game with a 250 player zone cap and have 500 player guilds and 2000 player alliances.  Now as a result they are laying off employees.

ScorchienYashaX

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

and yet.. it's the post launch changes that are driving away the larger guilds, which, like, is about the dumbest fucking move anyone could make, I mean, LOL, what kind of game company does things to make some tiny 9 person guild happy at the expense of a 500 player guild. 

Personally, I think they should have focused more to increase the zone cap of players, after all they made their own engine supposedly just for large scale combat and wars, and allowing larger alliances to flourish, IE: Make More Players Happy.

But as opposed to making it fun for more players to engage, they have done... well, whatever the fuck you think was a good idea, but you know, making stupid moves that make your kind of player happy, well time will tell if that was the right move.

My guild has already lost more than ten times the number of players then your guild ever had.
    Which changes are driving away the larger guilds and which guilds?

I see the majority of large guilds still around, most of which have been around in some form for years.

YashaX
    Allein said:
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

Which changes are driving away the larger guilds and which guilds?

I see the majority of large guilds still around, most of which have been around in some form for years.

The zerg guilds are all still around, but of course after you lose a campaign, players attrit out.  No cuts were made to guild caps.  It launched at 500 and remains 500.  All that changed is that 500 player guilds cant ALLY with other 500 player guilds.  In a game where the zone limit is 250.   Boo-Hoo.

he was probably cut from his guild to make room for players who... play.

YashaX

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I dunno guys, seems a bit silly to celebrate pyrrhic victories such as players leaving, possible layoffs etc.

Oh well, it's September with New World the next great game to thrash over.

Ungood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    I dunno guys, seems a bit silly to celebrate pyrrhic victories such as players leaving, possible layoffs etc.

Oh well, it's September with New World the next great game to thrash over.

Its not a celebration at all.  It's a sad day.  Just like it was sad for PFO, CoE, and all the others before.   And likely for CU, and others to come.   Nothing is as sad as wasted potential, except for when wasting that potential is causing people to lose their jobs.  The head-bobbing "all is well" crowd always brings this.  They do far more damage to their games than any Harbinger ever could.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Mendel said:

They were asked this months ago. They claimed that they would immediately shift into producing their second game…

Different jobs are needed in wildly different proportions at different stages of a game's development.  You need whoever works on the game engine to be there very early on.  Quest writers and customer service don't come in until much later.  It's not so simple as moving people to a second game that you're hoping to develop.

Big companies that have 20 games in development at once can probably find another project to move their best employees to once they've finished their previous one.  For small companies, that's not such an option.

That doesn't mean that the game is good or bad, and it doesn't mean that the game is successful or not, save that the rare game that is many times more successful than expected can probably find excuses to keep everyone worthwhile around for some additional development.
    Ungood

Gutted and gobsmacked to hear about the layoffs today. Having worked on for five years, I had high hopes the game would be a success. Holler if I can help with recommendations or referrals.

That’s their former community manager

• BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited September 2021
    Content creator Jonahveil had a former engineer enter his twitch chat and this is what Jonah shared in his discords regarding the layoffs:

@here OK guys so just for anyone still playing crowfall, I wanted to give as much info as possible. If you're enjoying the game still, great, but last night Hanseshadow one of the main engineer devs came to the stream and said he was laid off as were most people that made the game. I honestly give Crowfall a few months at this point, play at your own caution and don't expect this game to go anywhere. Simultaneously Gordon emailed me and told me how much my referrals grossed for them, and tried to tell me to come back next month because there was a good discount for affiliates or some garbage. They're desperate, this ship is sinking, I will not support this project any longer.
    UngoodKyleranTalmien
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:

Agreed. Even above you have a guy refusing to see the obvious.  “They should have focused more to increase the zone cap”.  Geeez.  It’s like no clue that they literally DOUBLED the zone cap over the last year.  They brought in Unity to help.  It was their main focus.   He’s suck in a stupid “my guild is bigger than your guild” mentality.

Again, the proof is clear as day for all to see:  They fucked up the launch of the game, which others here defended.   You can’t launch a game with a 250 player zone cap and have 500 player guilds and 2000 player alliances.  Now as a result they are laying off employees.

You mean like you, who are still crying about being called out for giving false info.. yah.. I have to agree there is really something to be said for a person that knows when they were wrong and can just stand up and admit
    [Deleted User]