Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The fundamental problem with cryptogaming

123457»

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited August 2021
    kitarad said:
    kitarad said:
    Saw an article saying in 5 years everyone will be using cryptocurrency.

That's because the person writing the article has money tied up in it.....
    It was in Forbes all bankers were saying it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billybambrough/2021/08/23/bankers-issue-seismic-warning-bitcoin-ethereum-bnb-cardano-and-xrp-could-replace-the-dollar-in-just-five-years-as-crypto-market-price-adds-1-trillion/
    Just had another segment on bloomberg some cfo saying the same thing from jpmorgan to scwab all inn.. 

Oh and you can pay your mortgage in BTC and other crypto curencies too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/19/united-wholesale-mortgage-will-accept-bitcoin-other-cryptocurrency.html

They must be suckers and/or gamblers huh?

stop acting like mid-IQrs and wake up nerds!
    Post edited by bcbully on
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    AAAMEOW said:
    Do any of you think quantum computer going to crack cryptos and make it worthless?

IMO too much money is at stack, and if quantum computer ever crack bitcoin, they'll just use the same block chain to recreate a new crypto.

No.  While there are certain public key encryption algorithms that are vulnerable if anyone ever makes a good quantum computer, that really has nothing to do with cryptocurrencies.

Public key is a weird niche that is likely to strike you as something that seems like it should be impossible.  For example, suppose that you want to buy something off of Amazon.  You want the purchase to be encrypted, as you need to send your credit card information.  If you physically traveled to an Amazon warehouse to trade encryption keys with them, this would be easy to do.  But that would defeat much of the point of online commerce.

Rather, they want to make it so that you and Amazon can encrypt information and send it to each other and both be able to decrypt what the other side sent, while someone in the middle who sees all information sent from either side cannot decrypt it.  You can't just start by sending an encryption key, as the person in the middle would be able to use it to decrypt everything.

Having purchased stuff online, you surely know that it's possible, even if it seems like it shouldn't be.  The two old algorithms for this are RSA and Diffie-Hellman, and both are vulnerable to quantum computers.  But there are other, much newer algorithms that are not, and they're in the process of making one into an official standard akin to AES.

In practice, the requirements of public key make the encryption algorithms used for it pretty terrible at everything except for the public key part of it.  What people usually do in practice is to use the public key algorithm to encrypt a private key and exchange that, and then carry on using a private key encryption algorithm such as AES.
    bcbullyAlBQuirky
    Scot said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Do any of you think quantum computer going to crack cryptos and make it worthless?

IMO too much money is at stack, and if quantum computer ever crack bitcoin, they'll just use the same block chain to recreate a new crypto.
    They need to build a quantum computer first, which I am not sure anyone will be able to do, anything describing itself as a quantum computer right now is a con. To date quantum mechanics as a theory has not been able to translate into a single form of technology, which to me makes it rather pie in the sky that so much money is being pumped into quantum computing.
    There are computers that the companies that build claim are quantum computers.  Right now, however, they're such primitive quantum computers that there isn't anything that they can do better than classical computers.  It's not at all clear whether they'll eventually get to the point that they can make a quantum computer that is actually useful.
    bcbullyAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    kitarad said:
    Saw an article saying in 5 years everyone will be using cryptocurrency.
    There's an enormous difference between claiming that everyone will be using it implicitly for some niche thing that you didn't realize was even there and claiming that it's going to replace traditional currencies within five years.  The former is a lot more likely than the latter.
    kitaradbcbullyAlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited August 2021
    Quizzical said:
    Scot said:
    AAAMEOW said:

They need to build a quantum computer first, which I am not sure anyone will be able to do, anything describing itself as a quantum computer right now is a con. To date quantum mechanics as a theory has not been able to translate into a single form of technology, which to me makes it rather pie in the sky that so much money is being pumped into quantum computing.
    There are computers that the companies that build claim are quantum computers.  Right now, however, they're such primitive quantum computers that there isn't anything that they can do better than classical computers.  It's not at all clear whether they'll eventually get to the point that they can make a quantum computer that is actually useful.
    But they are not using quantum principles on a "mechanical" level. The maths used in Quantum physics has had a variety of useful spin offs but that does not prove the principles it is modelling are theoretically correct. It just proves you have some fine mathematicians who are excellent at working up models.

For me the theories of Quantum Mechanics will need to create a device to prove this is not just navel gazing by the scientists involved. I think that is a perfectly reasonable expectation as set out as one of Karl Popper's reasons why we should trust science.

A huge amount of funding has gone into QM over what the last forty or fifty years now? I think it is past time for the litmus test proof of a theory, make a device using those principles. This is why I don't think a QM computer will ever truly be made, but you may get one made using some sort of mathematics spin off.
    bcbullyAlBQuirky
    there we go
    [Deleted User]
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    bcbully said:
    there we go

<looks left>
    <looks right>

"Where we going?
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    bcbully said:
    there we go

<looks left>
    <looks right>

"Where we going?

from here 

Jamie Dimon The key to making the economy work for everyone opinion - CNN

to here

Dogecoin Millionaire Wants to Bring Back Culture of Giving With New Game

:D :D :D :D :D  
    AlBQuirkyAAAMEOW[Deleted User]
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Bully, I wanted to say that post was great! I laughed for a good 2 or 3 minutes :)
    (I didn't want the "lol" emoji to be taken as "laughed at" instead of the intended "laugh with.")
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR