Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motherboard help

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
for the life of me i cant see any differences in the two besides overclocking.
I have both and a ryzen 5600x cpu . which would be the better board in your opinion.

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4

ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming 

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    One difference is right there in the name:  one uses the X470 chipset, while the other uses B450.  The former has more ports and such coming off of it than the latter.  It can also offer the PCI Express connection from the CPU as a single x16 connection or split it into two x8 connections.

They're both older generation chipsets, though.  The ones built for the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are the 500 series chipsets.  Backward compatibility to older motherboards is up to the motherboard vendors to provide it, though for a Strix motherboard, Asus almost certainly will (and presumably already has, though I haven't looked it up).

Why do you ask?  As I read your post, you seem to be claiming that you already have both motherboards.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited August 2021
    X470 is AMD's premium chipset from previous generation, whereas B450 is AMD's mainstream chipset from previous generation. If you have both boards, then the X470 board has some extra features that make it a little better.

Most of the time your average user won't use any of the X470's extra stuff, though. So the difference is small.
    Ridelynn

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Quizzical said:
    One difference is right there in the name:  one uses the X470 chipset, while the other uses B450.  The former has more ports and such coming off of it than the latter.  It can also offer the PCI Express connection from the CPU as a single x16 connection or split it into two x8 connections.

They're both older generation chipsets, though.  The ones built for the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are the 500 series chipsets.  Backward compatibility to older motherboards is up to the motherboard vendors to provide it, though for a Strix motherboard, Asus almost certainly will (and presumably already has, though I haven't looked it up).

Why do you ask?  As I read your post, you seem to be claiming that you already have both motherboards.
    i had the 470 with my old cpu, then i bought the 5600 and decided to buy the b450 ive been using that since, but then i started reading that the 470 may have been better when i thought someone told be the b450 was the way to go with the 5600.. so here i am wondering if i needed to swap back to the 470f

now im wondering if i need to get the 500 series board. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited August 2021
    cichy1012 said:
    Quizzical said:

i had the 470 with my old cpu, then i bought the 5600 and decided to buy the b450 ive been using that since, but then i started reading that the 470 may have been better when i thought someone told be the b450 was the way to go with the 5600.. so here i am wondering if i needed to swap back to the 470f

If the computer works then don't touch it.

Motherboard is mostly there so that you'd have something you could use to connect all the other components and devices. Consequently, if your motherboard already fully supports connecting everything you have, there's not much to be gained by switching it to different motherboard.
    [Deleted User]

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    The reason someone recommended the B450 over X470 is that it tends to be cheaper, and the differences are things that most people will neither notice nor care about.  That often matters to people who don't yet have either.  It's not a reason to buy a B450 motherboard if you already have an X470 that works.

In your situation, my recommendation would be that if you have a working computer that is working well, then you leave it that way and let it keep working well.  Trying to swap out motherboards gives you too many chances to accidentally break things, and for no significant upside.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    The biggest difference between the 400 and 500 series is PCI 4.0 - the 500 series have PCI 4, the 400 does not.

Between the x470 and B450 - the X470 will have a few more USB and SATA ports, and support SLI/CF.

X series motherboards ~tend~ to have beefier VRMs and cooling to better support overclocking, but that isn't a given, just something manufacturers typically do to help justify higher prices.

If your 5600 is running in your B450, it probably won't run appreciably faster in your X470.

Moving up to a 500 series motherboard (either a B550 or X570) ... will net you PCI 4 NVMe and GPU access...  which won't help your CPU any, will help a PCI 4 NVMe drive get better synthetic benchmarks but won't help much in real life, and PCI 4 may help your GPU but probably not.

Depending on BIOS, resizable BAR support is available on both 400 and 500 series motherboards, if you have a compatible video card, a 5000 series CPU (check) and the correct BIOS -- that would arguably be the only thing to really look for, as that can boost GPU performance by a small bit.
    [Deleted User]
    Quizzical said:
    The reason someone recommended the B450 over X470 is that it tends to be cheaper, and the differences are things that most people will neither notice nor care about.  That often matters to people who don't yet have either.  It's not a reason to buy a B450 motherboard if you already have an X470 that works.

In your situation, my recommendation would be that if you have a working computer that is working well, then you leave it that way and let it keep working well.  Trying to swap out motherboards gives you too many chances to accidentally break things, and for no significant upside.
    this statement "accidentally break things" LOL ---- so damn true
    edited August 2021
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    cichy1012 said:
    I would just leave that bad boy alone. Looks nice
    [Deleted User]