Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Is Holding An Open Beta Ahead Of Launch, Coming September 9th | MMORPG.com

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Can't wait for launch!!!!
  • LordRhysLordRhys Member UncommonPosts: 18
    3 days, probably with another wipe after, can't get any further than I did before. Just a glorified stress test, I may get on for a while just to re-wet my appetite for October.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2021
    LordRhys said:
    3 days, probably with another wipe after, can't get any further than I did before. Just a glorified stress test, I may get on for a while just to re-wet my appetite for October.
    Of course there'll be a wipe. Just like in any real beta ever.

Not like the fake betas some people buy with "founders packs" or some shit. And even then most of those also wipe unless it's called "early access."

Unless their name is Cryptic Studios and they have horseshit "betas" + cash shop that's just their way of doing a release "but don't judge us 'cause it's just a beta."

NomadMorlock
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Iselin said:

How very old school of them having a free for all open beta like all MMOs used to do years ago.

Seems like this is becoming a thing again with demos and open betas for many games over the past month or so. Try before you buy is as games consumer friendly as it gets.

It'll also be great to log-in again and see the (likely) last patch notes before release.

Really! if that was the case the last beta would of been a try before you buy open beta but it wasn't. They know the only way to test the load is by doing an open beta, no one is going to pay for a beta after the last mess.

They need to have more pve content and meaningful quest since the last beta, i just about got to level 40 and won't be doing it again unless something has seriously changed.
    HJ-Navarre

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    It's not a beta test of the game itself, it's much too late for that.

This is a beta test of the launch. When everybody hops on and the servers crash, it will be the beta test, or stress test, that failed. Not the launch.

Good move.
    [Deleted User]

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

Bloodaxes said:

tzervo said:

Bloodaxes said:

I went to check the steam discussion board, and man, people are so angry about getting a free open beta lol. Can't please everyone I guess.

Pff, being mad at others due to their own impatience, so silly. Plus, wasn't the previous one kinda "free" too, since you could pre-order at zero charge and cancel the pre-order?

Some were complaining that this is just an excuse to get another delay (so what if its true? better a good game, than a flawed one), others said 3 days is not enough (what do you expect? a whole week? the arrogance of some people), then the usual folks that the game needs to be delayed another year and some other crap.

This is the first time I see a steam discussion board filled with so many angry people.

My guess/opinion is that there are still a lot of angry folks from Alpha when they changed the game from non-consentual pvp to a more pve centric game. It's weird but you see people still commenting in-game and in forum posts that can't seem to move on with their lives...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Steam only ?? No thanks I don't install spyware on my PC

Interesting opinion of Steam. Lately, I'm of the mindset that I'll 'only' play a game if it's available for DL from Steam. Always spyware free for me. Plus, I liked the auto-saved config settings, save-games, and a central repo for games & screenshots.. et al.

I guess you don't know  or did not relaise that steam IS the spyware. I'm talkng about. Very few do
    Anyone spying on my life will likely die of boredom so problem solved, right?

Well unless they want to know how many bags of cat litter I go through monthly.

;)

[Deleted User]GiarclenMorbeous

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Bloodaxes said:
    tzervo said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    I went to check the steam discussion board, and man, people are so angry about getting a free open beta lol. Can't please everyone I guess.
    Pff, being mad at others due to their own impatience, so silly. Plus, wasn't the previous one kinda "free" too, since you could pre-order at zero charge and cancel the pre-order?
    Some were complaining that this is just an excuse to get another delay (so what if its true? better a good game, than a flawed one), others said 3 days is not enough (what do you expect? a whole week? the arrogance of some people), then the usual folks that the game needs to be delayed another year and some other crap.

This is the first time I see a steam discussion board filled with so many angry people.
    Ohh, I could share a pretty long list of subs full of angry people, it's just what people do on Reddit regardless the subject.

achesoma

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• shokadezzshokadezz Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Yay more delays

Iselin said:

How very old school of them having a free for all open beta like all MMOs used to do years ago.

Seems like this is becoming a thing again with demos and open betas for many games over the past month or so. Try before you buy is as games consumer friendly as it gets.

It'll also be great to log-in again and see the (likely) last patch notes before release.

Really! if that was the case the last beta would of been a try before you buy open beta but it wasn't. They know the only way to test the load is by doing an open beta, no one is going to pay for a beta after the last mess.

They need to have more pve content and meaningful quest since the last beta, i just about got to level 40 and won't be doing it again unless something has seriously changed.
    You played which beta? A month ago or a year ago?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Kyleran said:

Interesting opinion of Steam. Lately, I'm of the mindset that I'll 'only' play a game if it's available for DL from Steam. Always spyware free for me. Plus, I liked the auto-saved config settings, save-games, and a central repo for games & screenshots.. et al.

I guess you don't know  or did not relaise that steam IS the spyware. I'm talkng about. Very few do

;)

My last count was 5 but I did nod off for a bit. :(
    achesoma[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218
    edited August 2021
    Kyleran said:

;)

Thats the problem with kids these days. They have no idea what privacy is anymore. Thanks to places like failbook and instahoe  they post all of thier lives on line and they think eveyone else should as well.  BTW Its all done by computers now. So they don't get bored.   I for one don't want to and never will, and I'm sure there are a LOT more like me.
    Kyleran

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

Kyleran said:

;)

Thats the problem with kids these days. They have no idea what privacy is anymore. Thanks to places like failbook and instahoe  they post all of thier lives on line and they think eveyone else should as well.  BTW Its all done by computers now. So they don't get bored.   I for one don't want to and never will, and I'm sure there are a LOT more like me.
    Definitely are a lot more like that out there I think.

[Deleted User]ircaddicts

• baikaishui9527baikaishui9527 Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    The background music of this game and the sense of the picture is still worth the affirmation, the character costume design character of the subtle movements are done very well, very real. I played this game during the closed beta, and it feels pretty good.usually I often go to other websites to see the information about this game, such as mmoball.com, this website is good, the content is very rich, I suggest to have a look, there are game benefits yo.
    NomadMorlock
  • ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

So not wanting to be spied on and wanting privacy makes you a tin foil hat wearer??   Thanks for proveing my point

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

He hasn't even got a full tinfoil bodysuit, half arsed chancer if you ask me. :)
    [Deleted User]
    tzervo said:

I understand that Steam collects information to suggest games to you, probably also anonymised data for marketing purposes. Is there something else? Sources?

Also is this in any way different or more egregious than the data that Windows, Google, and most other services collect in order to offer a more personalized service (along with the risk of misuse of the data being collected)?
    An awful lot of data is being collected, the issue is what are they doing with it, if it is just advertising and marketing I don't see a problem. If it goes beyond that we have seen governments investigating and setting standards. All that really matters is standards are set and they are followed, that's going to be a two way tussle from now on but it always has been. Look at the way there are legal challenges over the use of a political parties membership list, this sort of information issue has always been around but in a far smaller way.
    edited August 2021
    tzervo said:
    Scot said:
    An awful lot of data is being collected, the issue is what are they doing with it, if it is just advertising and marketing I don't see a problem. If it goes beyond that we have seen governments investigating and setting standards. All that really matters is standards are set and they are followed, that's going to be a two way tussle from now on but it always has been. Look at the way there are legal challenges over the use of a political parties membership list, this sort of information issue has always been around but in a far smaller way.
    I do not disagree but I do not see how Steam is more harmful than other services that most people use already. Windows and Google are collecting a much larger amount of data than Steam (possibly including the data that Steam collects) but people will still use them over the more privacy-conscious alternatives (Linux, DDG, Firefox) for the convenience they offer, including the personalized experience which actually needs that data to be collected. So how is Steam harming me more than those services already do?

I was asking in case the other poster has sources with incidents of data misuse by Steam (like the many documented incidents with Facebook and Google for example). Otherwise I am more keen to dismiss him like Kyleran did.
    I don't think Steam is, but you might say that's just down to what they collect, Google has far more to draw on. So the standards for Steam would not be as inclusive, but lets not dismiss anyone, we can't expect great ideas from everyone all the time. Carry on Posting!

I use Duck Duck Go myself, not sure if that means I should also wear a tin hat though, just seems prudent considering those documented incidents. :)
  • lingceapucklingceapuck Member UncommonPosts: 62
    if they make this into an excuse for further delay i` m canceling the game buy
    tzervo said:
    Scot said:
    I use Duck Duck Go myself, not sure if that means I should also wear a tin hat though, just seems prudent considering those documented incidents. :)
    It is prudent. Like with many things in life it is a trade-off. You value not sharing your data or search preferences over having a better search algorithm, or being outside of the Filter bubble over the convenience of Google bringing you personalized searches that might be better for you. As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with either choice, it's just a matter of where your personal priorities lie. I use both google and DDG depending on what I want to search.
    What's the advantage of a personalised search, I never thought it much cop?
  • MorbeousMorbeous Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I always wondered why Steam recommended "Adult" games to me  :D
    YashaX
    edited August 2021
    tzervo said:
    Scot said:
    tzervo said:
    Scot said:
    It is prudent. Like with many things in life it is a trade-off. You value not sharing your data or search preferences over having a better search algorithm, or being outside of the Filter bubble over the convenience of Google bringing you personalized searches that might be better for you. As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with either choice, it's just a matter of where your personal priorities lie. I use both google and DDG depending on what I want to search.
    What's the advantage of a personalised search, I never thought it much cop?
    Well, imagine that you primarily search about MMORPGs and your buddy is primarily searching about books. If you put in "New World" in Google, you get results on Amazon's New World, your buddy gets results on "Brave New World". Or something to that effect. The search engine learns about your preferences and tries to guess what you want to find when the search is ambiguous, so you have much higher chances to get what you are looking for in the top of the 1st page.

The problems start when you want to get a wider perspective (say in a controversial politics topic) and you mostly get results that reinforce your belief (confirmation bias), especially if you are not aware of it. That's the filter bubble. I remember for example a blogger once bragging how his blog calling out WoT being rigged was the first result in google when googling "World of Tanks", and obviously that was far from the truth - it was just what google was giving him based on his browsing history.

That's why, privacy concerns aside, I find both Google and DDG to be useful depending on what I want to find.
    We live in digital bubbles now so that's definitely not for me, break out of those bubbles! I think the case can be made that social media bubbles and "search bubbles" stifle our mental growth. You see the same arguments, hear the same things, you just have your world view reinforced, your views about the world are affirmed not informed.

Maybe that guy searching for New World could have his mind opened to new vistas reading even a snippet about Brave New World. I see what you are saying about using both systems but it sounded like too much hassle to me.

As for your last post, just be careful what you click on has to be the lesson there. :)
    ircaddicts[Deleted User]
    tzervo said:
    People are so hungry for a new game they could have saved money on the lipstick and you all still would have bought the pig.
    Lots of people loved the game even after they had the chance to try it out for free. They just have different tastes than yours.

I don't think he has a taste. Just seems to bitch and moan about everything.
    SovrathYashaX[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LucixLucix Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Juicy, count me in.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Iselin said:
    tzervo said:
    People are so hungry for a new game they could have saved money on the lipstick and you all still would have bought the pig.
    Lots of people loved the game even after they had the chance to try it out for free. They just have different tastes than yours.

I don't think he has a taste. Just seems to bitch and moan about everything.

I have a taste, I'm not wrong though. Saw this happening with the Star Wars buzz some years back, you guys are destined for the same loop. 

This is just another mediocre MMO release, nothing new in 2021... fresh paint and the same old wheels.

Maybe people don't care and they are having fun for what it is?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo