Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Article] Star Citizen: A $400+ Million Gaming Project With No Release Date In Sight.

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    It's odd but the fans of the game don't seem to care.....You look at the money, the manpower, and the amount of time and it doesn't add up, but they have shown enough to keep their backers happy.
    KyleranScot
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited August 2021
    Its a shame the article has been written in quite the negative tone because that will be the focus of many of the replies. They are pointing out some interesting things though, like the player voting numbers and where they belong on the SC timeline. 

What it does show is that CIG keeps missing the mark, their own mark to be exactly, by more then a mile. The album of quotes they link to has so many promises and nonsense in it, it is insane. All of this has nothing to do with the quality of the product that is SC or the one that one day will be SQ42 btw. It however has everything to do with a company that structurally promises and says things they don’t live up to. Some might call that ambition and the risk of developing a product, others will call it flat out lying and deceiving to rake in the funds and cover up for mismanagement, or at least being highly unqualified to make any of these statements or a game of this scope for that matter.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Clearly the backers are happy with what they see or are getting as the money keeps rolling in.

Won't surprise me at all to see SC clear the $500M crowd funding mark, in fact even if the game(s) eventually do launch (and start being "sold") I expect CI to keep asking for more crowd funding to build future expansions or what not.

They'll probably get it too.  Weird.

Sandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    The level of mismanagement on this project is staggering, epic, mind-numbing.

Unless it is just a big scam. Then it's brilliant!
    Kyleran

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

and we have said this before, but maybe it is just more profitable to stay in the alpha state forever and just keep raking in the kickstarter money?
    MrTuggles
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited August 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Clearly the backers are happy with what they see or are getting as the money keeps rolling in.

Won't surprise me at all to see SC clear the $500M crowd funding mark, in fact even if the game(s) eventually do launch (and start being "sold") I expect CI to keep asking for more crowd funding to build future expansions or what not.

I am one the backers that are happy with what they see.

But you can call me biased ;-)

As for the article ... its a collection of things said about Star Citizen since the projects beginning. Some true, some given a negative tone like Lahnmir said, none of it new, nowhere do they mention what makes Star Citizen appealing to its backers.

Have fun
    KalafaxKyleranWalkinGlennnurso
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I put $60 in back at the beginning and have dabbled with it here and there. 

Do I care about my $60…. 

Na, I‘be gotten quite a few hours over the years out of it.

When if ever Squadron 41 or whatever it’s called (forgive me, so many years have gone by) releases I’ll consider my purchase transaction  completed.
    Kyleran

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

I'm not going to fund or support it until it's released but the game looks like it's coming together nicely from watching various twitch streams.

I think the problem with this is that we will be so far behind the people that have been playing for years....Even if everyone starts from the beginning we will be way behind in no time.
    Mendel
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I'm not going to fund or support it until it's released but the game looks like it's coming together nicely from watching various twitch streams.

I think the problem with this is that we will be so far behind the people that have been playing for years....Even if everyone starts from the beginning we will be way behind in no time.

In a game where you can spend tens of thousands on MTX you can bet being behind is by design.

Have fun
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

I'm honestly not worried about that, I already know going in, those who've spent thousands backing it will have an advantage regardless.
    Even if everyone starts at the same time it's inevitable some will quickly pull out way in front and never look back.

I've found peace in just playing my own game and not worrying about what others do.
    KidRisk

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:

I'm honestly not worried about that, I already know going in, those who've spent thousands backing it will have an advantage regardless.
    Even if everyone starts at the same time it's inevitable some will quickly pull out way in front and never look back.

I've found peace in just playing my own game and not worrying about what others do.
    Right? I'm honestly not a big space sim guy so I'll also be playing it casually on release.

I'm not one for flying around in spaceships, either.  Neither am I all that interested in crafting/building.  I'm a PvE guy, and I don't really see any purpose for all those massive, expensive ships if not for building or PvP.  So, what role does SC really offer me that doesn't also label me as a target for someone else?  (Assuming it ever releases).

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    My main issue is that if they had made the game that was described when they did Kickstarter, I would of been happy to play that.

Now, after all this time and stuff supposedly being added...no clue if it is still something that I would be interested in.

I may take a look if and when they get tired of the gravy train that is "crowd funding" and really put out a game.

I still think this is gonna be the first game ever to have someone die while waiting on it, and will it to someone else to maybe get to play it eventually....that will be a new first i guess...
    Sandmanjw said:

I still think this is gonna be the first game ever to have someone die while waiting on it, and will it to someone else to maybe get to play it eventually....that will be a new first i guess...
    Well, it's a toss up between SC, Pantheon, CU and maybe Ashes.

I'm really just looking for SQ42 to release, not sure the larger game has anything much for me.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    They have fly free events so whoever buys in now should  know what they are or aren’t getting.  If they ignore years of data and history then it’s on them at this point.

Doesn’t excuse what they did to people like me who backed for SQ42 years and years ago though.
    Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    edited August 2021
    Erillion said:
    nowhere do they mention what makes Star Citizen appealing to its backers.

Such articles exist solely to generate engagement, hence the doom and gloom... in my opinion we need some sort of meta site that does not review games but gaming articles.
    Erillion
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Guys it took 29 years for NASA to put a man on the moon, we just have to wait another 19 years. ;)
    edited August 2021
    nurso said:
    Erillion said:

Such articles exist solely to generate engagement, hence the doom and gloom... in my opinion we need some sort of meta site that does not review games but gaming articles.
    True. But you could also open the link mentioned in the article which opens an album full of quotes, roughly 400. These quotes all come from interviews, articles etc. that simply gave, and give, CIG a platform, no negative or positive bias, since both suck equally and are purely for engagement purposes.

The real interesting part is then judging all these quotes given by CIG themselves over the last decade and compare them to the current situation and then draw conclusions. You could then, for yourself, decide if a negative article about the subject is understandable.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    lahnmir said:
    nurso said:
    Erillion said:

True. But you could also open the link mentioned in the article which opens an album full of quotes, roughly 400. These quotes all come from interviews, articles etc. that simply gave, and give, CIG a platform, no negative or positive bias, since both suck equally and are purely for engagement purposes.

The real interesting part is then judging all these quotes given by CIG themselves over the last decade and compare them to the current situation and then draw conclusions. You could then, for yourself, decide if a negative article about the subject is understandable.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    There's no way to give a positive spin to all of their past comments on delivery and such.  The best you can do is ignore them and just make a list of what's been completed, while ignoring what the timeline was.
    lahnmir said:
    nurso said:
    Erillion said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    There's no way to give a positive spin to all of their past comments on delivery and such.  The best you can do is ignore them and just make a list of what's been completed, while ignoring what the timeline was.
    Hence why critical articles are perfectly viable  ;) My post was purely in response to the ‘doom and gloom for engagement purposes only’ statement. Which I think is a bit dishonest. If I ignore the past and the promises I am left with a gorgeous, very Alpha, client in a niche genre with an obscene amount of detail but lacking an overall structure or “glue” keeping all these parts together. It is fun though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    lahnmir said:

And this is exactly my issue with this article: The author stops before he or she even gets to what you call the "real interesting part". I don't know what the author is trying to achieve. In my opinion, articles should offer more than a mere list of facts.
    lahnmirKyleranErillion
    nurso said:
    lahnmir said:

And this is exactly my issue with this article: The author stops before he or she even gets to what you call the "real interesting part". I don't know what the author is trying to achieve. In my opinion, articles should offer more than a mere list of facts.
    Good point! I can definitely get behind that.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    nursoErillionKidRisk

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Erillion said:
    Kyleran said:

I am one the backers that are happy with what they see.

But you can call me biased ;-)

As for the article ... its a collection of things said about Star Citizen since the projects beginning. Some true, some given a negative tone like Lahnmir said, none of it new, nowhere do they mention what makes Star Citizen appealing to its backers.

Have fun
    Good to see you back!  Hope you've been doing well.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.