Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elyon and its payment model

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
Interesting video on payment model. Seems heavy handed and P@W. They have some hefty starter packs that include a 3 day head start at the $100 mark. A Sub that gives some very big advantages and a cash shop that is not optional. Is this too much?  

Not sure why Elyon does not have its on forms here yet, so I had to post this is here? 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    edited August 2021
    I see the Elyon forums link but it gives a 404 error, maybe the link is broken...
    That happens when they have not created a forum. If you go to the game forums list, Elyon is not listed in its alphabetical spot it should be. 

You can see that here...

Game Forums — MMORPG.com Forums
    I see the Elyon forums link but it gives a 404 error, maybe the link is broken...

• 3 day head start is irrelevant.
    • Typical typical subscription benefits.
    • buying in-game gold to purchase gear is standard these days.
    It's nothing new and not remotely as bad as you say @Nanfoodle.

I dont agree, most quality MMOs do 1 or 2 of the 3 not all 3. If you have a B2P game, then normally you get a cosmetic cash shop, not a required cash shop. If you have a F2P game, you see optional subs that give you benefits and a harder hitting cash shop. 

Having a Box price with a 3 day head start, an "Optional Sub" that gives some crazy advantages. It makes ESO "Optional Sub" look low key and then requiring you to use their cash shop and being able to buy ingame gold. That just seems broken to me.
    Asm0deus
    edited August 2021
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Well, if this is p2w then so is ESO and FFXIV.
    YashaX
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited August 2021

Tiller said:
    ESO has allot more freedom. You can play for free and buy what content you want. You can Sub and get all content at the sub price with some added benefits and no spend anything in the cash shop, as you get gems every month for subbing, so you can even use that to buy the content you want to play. Nothing in their cash shop is required. 

Elyon may not be considered P2W by some but its is heavy handed. There are things in the cash shop you will need to buy to get by. Not the cash with ESO. You do need to pay the box price that is much larger then ESO. So there you are at a mandatory Box price + a mandatory cash shop. Then an optional sub if you can call it that.   
    edited August 2021

edited August 2021

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    The game is meh so who cares really........myself wont be playing this.
    TillerSensaimoshra

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Asm0deus said:
    Yeah, I'm still on the fence, especially since NW is also around the corner.
    And so far NW is allot more fair with their payment model for what seems like a higher quality game. B2P game, Box price with cosmetic cash shop you need never use. No optional sub that gives advantages. Everyone on equal footing. 
    YashaX
    edited August 2021

edited August 2021
    Asm0deus said:

I was in NW beta and found it much better and I found it looked miles better though it has a poorer character creator. 

Liked it enough I pre ordered NW for my son and myself.....biggest issue I see with NW is if they do not add more content or fix some of the grosser bugs/exploit we all found during beta.

To be fair I still need to play the elyon beta some more to get a better feel for it but I am pretty sure I just wont be able to get past the meh I feel for it right now.

As for the payment model eh it your typical korean type thing so could be better but could be worse.... I find the whole p2w debate old as people get polarized rather quickly on the subject.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Nanfoodle said:
    Asm0deus said:
    And so far NW is allot more fair with their payment model for what seems like a higher quality game. B2P game, Box price with cosmetic cash shop you need never use. No optional sub that gives advantages. Everyone on equal footing. 
    Then play NW... seriously, Elyon is far from heavy handed as I said when making quick references to the other B2P titles that I could name off the top of my head. It even has less convenience items that BDO.
    No your right, better value for your money has nothing to do with a heavy handed payment model =-)
    edited August 2021

edited August 2021

edited August 2021
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Then play NW... seriously, Elyon is far from heavy handed as I said when making quick references to the other B2P titles that I could name off the top of my head. It even has less convenience items that BDO.
    No your right, better value for your money has nothing to do with a heavy handed payment model =-)
    Hate to break it to you, you have no idea what a heavy handed payment model looks like. Which is shocking when I see that you've been a member of this site since 2006, lol. 

But continue defending and ignoring the same benefits in the games you play while accusing a newly releasing title of having a heavy handed market. 

Your game's dying so you gotta board that hate train.

GIF quadrinhos comics joseph c phillips - animated GIF on GIFER

QFT: You may not remember me but I do remember you. Same tactics from you I see. When you dont agree or proven your point may not be right, you insult and attack instead. Good day to you.
    edited August 2021
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

edited August 2021
    ...snip...

From what I've seen, Elyon has better combat than NW, but NW looks better than Elyon. Neither of them are as good as BDO, but I burnt myself out on it after 5 years.

Yeah the combat is slower and less "spammy" than in Elyon which I prefer. In NW you feel the attacks of yourself and the mobs to you, feels like they have more weight or impact where in Elyon it just felt more fluid and floaty.

I prefer the feel of combat in NW tbh.

edited August 2021
    Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

From what I've seen, Elyon has better combat than NW, but NW looks better than Elyon. Neither of them are as good as BDO, but I burnt myself out on it after 5 years.

Yeah the combat is slower and less "spammy" than in Elyon which I prefer. In NW you feel the attacks of yourself and the mobs to you, feels like they have more weight or impact where in Elyon it just felt more fluid and floaty.

I prefer the feel of combat in NW tbh.

I did NW beta but I did opt to get a refund for the game after 52hrs played. Im currently looking for a MMO, thats why I looked in Elyon and after looking at many reviews about the game. The same thing keeps coming up. Bad Payment model. I dont see myself jumping into a new MMO any time soon, as I dont see anything I am excited for till Lost Arc or Corepunk.
    edited August 2021

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    The way they monetise this game immediately from its launch is 100% P2W. It's not just the headstart (which by itself is a big deal in a PvP game with no hard level cap).

The worst offender is by far the luminus system. Unless you're fine with getting beaten by virtually everyone else who pays $$$, luminus is not optional and you can only level it up by buying the stuff in the cash shop. At first glance it does not seem too pricey, with a few bucks per luminus, but the number required per level scales up logarithmically. To get the max star (level) luminus, you will need to pay literally hundreds of dollars / euros. There is also an RNG element to it, where upgrading a luminus to the next tier actually produces a random type of the higher tier luminus (and also has a chance to fail, of course). So you can't really only focus on one type, pay up a few hundred dollars for the optimal luminus for your class and be done with it. Oh no.

Pets are pretty much another P2W element in Elyon, albeit (currently, that is) not with such an egregious effect on your in-game performance as luminus. However, you can still spend a lot of cash collecting and levelling up your optimal pets. Bear in mind that Kakao can easily introduce some form of epic / legendary pets that will go beyond mere convenience. Already now there are subtle hints in that direction - like pets improving your drop rates and such.

Already in CBT1, the in-game shop and the mechanics of several core systems were strongly pointing towards a heavy monetisation of this game. Kakao has made some compromises in the meantime, but I reckon it's mostly to get the community to calm down at launch and they will squeeze the players' wallets again once the population stabliises. If the luminus system is what we'll have there at launch, I shudder to think what the game will look like 1-2 years from now.
    NanfoodleYashaX
    edited August 2021

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Tiller said:
    Pretty much, it's just an over-exaggeration as many games do these things. They're just fear/hate mongering...
    What a world we live in when buying a MMORPG and charging an (optional) subscription is called P2W by a streamer.

Sure, the cash shop probably sells some advantages so they could rightfully be called out as such, but a 3 day head start? 

Only matters to the top 2 or 3% of the competitive player base who will devote their lives to playing this game, everyone else with real lives was going to fall behind one way or another.

YashaXScorchien

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon