Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo II Resurrected

ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
After a weekend of playing the closed beta of Diablo II Resurrected I came to a few conclusions, good and bad.

The gameplay has aged well. I still enjoyed how the game played and didn't want the weekend to end. I am still a little bummed they did not keep close beta available to us until the open beta began. I can only hope they use this week to fix the bugs.

I still really enjoyed character progression since each level mattered in many ways. Should I put another point in an existing skill or spread out my skills a little for some variety. Should I add extra to a combat related attribute like Strength or Dexterity so I can equip that new drop I got or take my time putting minimal points into these attributes and keep my main focus on Constitution.

Act II was so much more palatable with improved graphics. I hated the Sewers and Maggot Lair in the original. It was incredibly hard to see and navigate properly, not to mention the bland desert and the blocky and tiny Duriel pit (which was still hard).

They did the graphical upgrade properly. Everything so far has looked like it should have. Some did not like the character models, but they didn't bother me.

I did not like the things I got used to playing other versions of Diablo II, namely Path of Diablo. 

Bag space was next to impossible to deal with just to store your drops until you got back to town. Add in potions, charms and scrolls and it was as frustrating as it was 20 years ago. This is an easy and non-emersion breaking change that they seriously need to consider.

Drop rates. Maybe it was because we were only able to go as high as Act II, but I had one set piece drop (within the first 10 minutes of game play) and maybe a dozen or so yellows. Gems did drop at a decent rate and runes were acceptable. Maybe I'm just being a baby here since I have been made to expect a bit more. That all said, it did make drops feel more special when something decent dropped... but I would be ok with a slight increase (very slight) in drop rates.

Unnecessary bugs. The game crashed every time I tried to switch abilities and spells... 100% every time. I had to switch to classic mode, select the new ability then switch back.

Overall, this was everything I hoped it would be and can't wait until next weekend and release.
[Deleted User]Scot

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    One thing I had forgotten about and absolutely hated is the two click skill use system: click once to make it your active LMB or RMB and then click again to actually use it once active.

It's an old UI carry over that's just asking for a non-faithful improvement... or a mouse macro.
    ultimateduck
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    Iselin said:
    One thing I had forgotten about and absolutely hated is the two click skill use system: click once to make it your active LMB or RMB and then click again to actually use it once active.

It's an old UI carry over that's just asking for a non-faithful improvement... or a mouse macro.
    I don't know what you're referring to with the two click skill use. I don't recall having to click more than once to use any skill. Am I missing something?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2021
    Iselin said:

I don't know what you're referring to with the two click skill use. I don't recall having to click more than once to use any skill. Am I missing something?

Unless I missed a different keybinding mechanic, when you bind a skill or a spell to say 3 and you want to use that spell or skill, pressing 3 doesn't use the skill it just makes the RMB become that skill and then you have to press RMB to actually use it.

It's a weird 2-step process that I frankly didn't even remember being that way although it had been many years sine I last played D2.

Every game I've played in the intervening decades that lets you bind skills to a key, uses that skill when you press that key.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I played it on the xbox and it was fun the one problem we had is it would not let friends invite people to groups three of us wanted to play together but it was very difficult i hope they fix that.     
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Unless I missed a different keybinding mechanic, when you bind a skill or a spell to say 3 and you want to use that spell or skill, pressing 3 doesn't use the skill it just makes the RMB become that skill and then you have to press RMB to actually use it.

It's a weird 2-step process that I frankly didn't even remember being that way although it had been many years sine I last played D2.

Every game I've played in the intervening decades that lets you bind skills to a key, uses that skill when you press that key.
    Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, with the exception of the primary and secondary skill (left and right mouse buttons) you don't equip the skill, you assign a hot key to equip the skill to the left or right mouse button. I suppose with modern mouse/keyboard setups you can macro it fairly easy.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Never cared for D2.  Just glad it was so influential, and led to so many, better, spiritual descendants.  And apparently some of those negative issues are evident even to the fans now.

Whatever special sauce Blizzard put in their games didn't work on me.
    ValdemarJ

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BrunoxgamesBrunoxgames Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    After a weekend of playing the closed beta of Diablo II Resurrected I came to a few conclusions, good and bad.

The gameplay has aged well. I still enjoyed how the game played and didn't want the weekend to end. I am still a little bummed they did not keep close beta available to us until the open beta began. I can only hope they use this week to fix the bugs.

I still really enjoyed character progression since each level mattered in many ways. Should I put another point in an existing skill or spread out my skills a little for some variety. Should I add extra to a combat related attribute like Strength or Dexterity so I can equip that new drop I got or take my time putting minimal points into these attributes and keep my main focus on Constitution.

Act II was so much more palatable with improved graphics. I hated the Sewers and Maggot Lair in the original. It was incredibly hard to see and navigate properly, not to mention the bland desert and the blocky and tiny Duriel pit (which was still hard).

They did the graphical upgrade properly. Everything so far has looked like it should have. Some did not like the character models, but they didn't bother me.

I did not like the things I got used to playing other versions of Diablo II, namely Path of Diablo. 

Bag space was next to impossible to deal with just to store your drops until you got back to town. Add in potions, charms and scrolls and it was as frustrating as it was 20 years ago. This is an easy and non-emersion breaking change that they seriously need to consider.

Drop rates. Maybe it was because we were only able to go as high as Act II, but I had one set piece drop (within the first 10 minutes of game play) and maybe a dozen or so yellows. Gems did drop at a decent rate and runes were acceptable. Maybe I'm just being a baby here since I have been made to expect a bit more. That all said, it did make drops feel more special when something decent dropped... but I would be ok with a slight increase (very slight) in drop rates.

Unnecessary bugs. The game crashed every time I tried to switch abilities and spells... 100% every time. I had to switch to classic mode, select the new ability then switch back.

Overall, this was everything I hoped it would be and can't wait until next weekend and release.

General tips For playing Diablo ii resurrected

• Your level might limit your skill point allocation. Since you gain skill points every time you level up. At max level, a player can assign 20 SPs to any one skill.

• You would want to max out your main dealing skill but I would suggest not to max out all of them. For some, it is because even just one point makes it the best or you want to save some for another skill or it’s just flat out bad.

•  They are useful but you need to be careful since some of the good ones consume mana. Since, if you want to be the cool guy in multiplayer.

• However, there is a way to make a mana farm. If you get the spell, the sorceress’ warmth will give you 30 percent more mana which is a ridiculous amount just with one point. So, definitely get that one.

• Skills are a finite resource. At level 99 (the highest level in the game), which is something even pro players struggle to do, you get only 110 SPs. You can get more SPs through side quests. But don't worry you don’t need to go that high, the only skills you would want to max out are 3. Yes, 3 maxed-out skills are more than enough. You can have some more without maxing it out and it will be great. There is no need to spend that much SPs

• But that does not mean that I am not saying to only have one or no damage dealing skills. If you don't have at least 1 damage dealing skill, there might be something wrong with you. Since in this game the monsters have immunities, you might fall into a situation where you cannot do anything against them so you would need a backup with at least 5 SPs.

• axiomsofdominionaxiomsofdominion Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    I could never play this. Blizzard has been full of drama lately and the Grim Dawn D2 mod is amazing plus you can use the Grim Dawn masteries in it. Played a few hundred hours of D2 back in the day.
  • James781James781 Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    The thread is already old, but I can say that a month ago I went through the game and got a lot of pleasure. In general, my older brother got me hooked on Diablo games. So it's like a family thing for me to play Diablo. The gameplay is excellent as always, I liked everything
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited August 2022
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

They added a system that allows you to cast a bound skill on click.  No need to make it active and it's wonderful.  At least on PC.

I haven't played a lot but I hope to when they launch the next season.
    Iselinultimateduck
  • robertooo11robertooo11 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited August 2023

Firstly, the gameplay of Diablo II has stood the test of time remarkably well. I found myself thoroughly enjoying the mechanics and interactions, and truth be told, I was reluctant to see the weekend come to an end. However, it's a bit disappointing that the closed beta wasn't extended until the open beta launch. Hopefully, the developers will utilize this time to iron out the existing bugs and polish the experience further.

One aspect that still greatly appealed to me was the character progression. The decision-making process for allocating skill points felt as engaging as ever. Choosing between enhancing an existing skill or diversifying my skill set for versatility provided a satisfying sense of choice. Similarly, the strategic dilemma of investing points into combat attributes like Strength or Dexterity to accommodate new equipment versus prioritizing points for attributes like Constitution added a layer of depth to character development.

What stood out significantly was the enhanced visual presentation of Act II. The improvements in graphics were particularly notable in areas like the Sewers and Maggot Lair, which were cumbersome and hard to navigate in the original release. The revamp also did justice to the desert environment and rectified the issues with the blocky and cramped Duriel pit encounter.

I like that the pumping of the character is similar to wow because you can use different services to pump level and gold, I swing on wowvendor service, in 4 days from scratch pumped up to 30th level.

Post edited by robertooo11 on
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,435

Firstly, the gameplay of Diablo II has stood the test of time remarkably well. I found myself thoroughly enjoying the mechanics and interactions, and truth be told, I was reluctant to see the weekend come to an end. However, it's a bit disappointing that the closed beta wasn't extended until the open beta launch. Hopefully, the developers will utilize this time to iron out the existing bugs and polish the experience further.

One aspect that still greatly appealed to me was the character progression. The decision-making process for allocating skill points felt as engaging as ever. Choosing between enhancing an existing skill or diversifying my skill set for versatility provided a satisfying sense of choice. Similarly, the strategic dilemma of investing points into combat attributes like Strength or Dexterity to accommodate new equipment versus prioritizing points for attributes like Constitution added a layer of depth to character development.

What stood out significantly was the enhanced visual presentation of Act II. The improvements in graphics were particularly notable in areas like the Sewers and Maggot Lair, which were cumbersome and hard to navigate in the original release. The revamp also did justice to the desert environment and rectified the issues with the blocky and cramped Duriel pit encounter.

Guess this thread needed to be resurrected a year later.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,820
    Dattelis said:

Guess this thread needed to be resurrected a year later.
    My guess is this is an adbot, but if not hopefully he tells us as he will need a welcome!
    AdamantineGorwe
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Err, I dont think a human would ever write such a posting. The way he describes raising skills is just super weird. As if raising a skill would be the actual motivation to play Diablo.

As far as I can tell, the main reason why some people are downright addicted to Diablo is the kick of finding good new good gear, basically at random intervals. Personally I barely managed to go through the meager story of Diablo 2 once and then I was done ever since. There is literally nothing else to do in Diablo but item farming.

Timothy Cain (Fallout 1+2, Arcanum, Vampire Bloodlines, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Pillars of Eternity, The Outer Worlds) just had a great video on that on his YouTube channel, I think it was called "Player Engagement" ?

edited August 2023
    Err, I dont think a human would ever write such a posting. The way he describes raising skills is just super weird. As if raising a skill would be the actual motivation to play Diablo.

As far as I can tell, the main reason why some people are downright addicted to Diablo is the kick of finding good new good gear, basically at random intervals. Personally I barely managed to go through the meager story of Diablo 2 once and then I was done ever since. There is literally nothing else to do in Diablo but item farming.

Timothy Cain (Fallout 1+2, Arcanum, Vampire Bloodlines, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Pillars of Eternity, The Outer Worlds) just had a great video on that on his YouTube channel, I think it was called "Player Engagement" ?
    I think how adbots using some sort of chatbot make a post is fascinating, you can detect them by the optimism, the balanced reasoned out approach and the way they draw in other areas of the topic, here gaming to the post.

What this says about real humans I would rather not say. :D
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Guess I feel like the odd one out because I think the game has aged like milk in the desert.

* The gameplay has not aged well, at all. Like, have those who think it has played a game in the past 15 years? It's slow. It's repetitive. And the player is literally playing a different game from the enemies - a game in which most of their attacks will miss without an over-investment in dex, and every enemy attack will hit.

* Movement is slow, and limited by stamina.

* XP gains are glacial and loot is stingy.

* The inventory is pathetically small, and further limited by "inventory Tetris"

* The graphics of the remaster would look poor at the launch of the PS3.

* The build system is only deep at the most surface level, and becomes shallow and predictable when you so much as understand the basic rules of build optimization.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,424
    edited August 2023
    Aeander said:
    Guess I feel like the odd one out because I think the game has aged like milk in the desert.

* The gameplay has not aged well, at all. Like, have those who think it has played a game in the past 15 years? It's slow. It's repetitive. And the player is literally playing a different game from the enemies - a game in which most of their attacks will miss without an over-investment in dex, and every enemy attack will hit.

* The inventory is pathetically small, and further limited by "inventory Tetris"

* The build system is only deep at the most surface level, and becomes shallow and predictable when you so much as understand the basic rules of build optimization.
    Just forget about D2R and play good old D2:LoD with some QoL(or full remake mods). Something like Project Diablo 2 allows you to use modern resolutions, frame rates etc. And custom densities, drop rates etc in Singleplayer. Can't comment about Median.

And D2R? It succeeded at what it set out to do. To remaster D2 for modern audiences(this also means representation >.<). They even allowed some much requested features(like Druid being able to have all animals out at once or the concept of Sunder Charms(=goodbye Immunes)). It's good, but after seeing DevX for D1 or PD2 for LoD ... it leaves a LOT to be desired. And I'm not even talking about stuff like Median!
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:

Just forget about D2R and play good old D2:LoD with some QoL(or full remake mods). Something like Project Diablo 2 allows you to use modern resolutions, frame rates etc. And custom densities, drop rates etc in Singleplayer. Can't comment about Median.

And D2R? It succeeded at what it set out to do. To remaster D2 for modern audiences(this also means representation >.<). They even allowed some much requested features(like Druid being able to have all animals out at once or the concept of Sunder Charms(=goodbye Immunes)). It's good, but after seeing DevX for D1 or PD2 for LoD ... it leaves a LOT to be desired. And I'm not even talking about stuff like Median!
    There is no amount of fan modding in the universe that would make me enjoy D2 anything more than an actual fun ARPG like D3, let alone a vastly superior experience like Grim Dawn or PoE.

And no, I'd argue it didn't succeed at remaking the game for proper audiences. A proper remake would have:

* Removed gender locking

* Had at bare minimum better graphics than the god damn mobile game

* Had an optional mode at character selection for Modernized play (ie: reworked inventory and higher xp/drop rate gains), while keeping the classic experience to a separate mode.
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:

There is no amount of fan modding in the universe that would make me enjoy D2 anything more than an actual fun ARPG like D3, let alone a vastly superior experience like Grim Dawn or PoE.

And no, I'd argue it didn't succeed at remaking the game for proper audiences. A proper remake would have:

* Removed gender locking

* Had an optional mode at character selection for Modernized play (ie: reworked inventory and higher xp/drop rate gains), while keeping the classic experience to a separate mode.
    Exactly what I am saying. What you are looking is not D2(or maybe heavily edited D2) and as such, if D2R did what you were asking for, it wouldn't be a remaster, but a remake.
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:

* Removed gender locking

Exactly what I am saying. What you are looking is not D2(or maybe heavily edited D2) and as such, if D2R did what you were asking for, it wouldn't be a remaster, but a remake.
    I think the remaster vs remake argument is a bit flawed. They really did make a lot of changes to the game, then pretended they can't make changes to the game because it isn't a remake. It is a living game with patches and seasons. These changes remove it from the remaster or remake category and simply make a game that has and will continue to go through changes.

Gorwe
    edited September 2023
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:
    Gorwe said:
    Aeander said:

* Removed gender locking

I think the remaster vs remake argument is a bit flawed. They really did make a lot of changes to the game, then pretended they can't make changes to the game because it isn't a remake. It is a living game with patches and seasons. These changes remove it from the remaster or remake category and simply make a game that has and will continue to go through changes.

In this case, I agree. D2R introduced not only some QoL changes like more stash, but also some game changing elements(Druid summons, Sunders). And then they pretend that "vanilla this, vanilla that". Meh. Which vanilla? ;)

Graphics are alright, but I prefer gameplay. Not at the complete expense of graphics, mind.

Regardless, I suppose they are bound by a contract of sorts about what they can, can not and must have in the game.
    ultimateduck
    edited September 2023
    If you guys have played D4, how do you handle the graphics disparity for D2? I always say gameplay comes first, I firmly believe that, but there comes a point where the graphics goes to low and I really struggle with games like that. I guess as a remastered edition that must help?
    Scot said:
    If you guys have played D4, how do you handle the graphics disparity for D2? I always say gameplay comes first, I firmly believe that, but there comes a point where the graphics goes to low and I really struggle with games like that. I guess as a remastered edition that must help?
    When first logging into D2, the graphics are a bit of a shock. You kinda get used to it. That said, it would be hard to go back to D2 now that D2R is out.

I don't like D4 gameplay. Skills seem like a second thought, autoleveling for the zone you're in, horrible resource management. It just makes playing a chore.

Scot
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited September 2023
    I liked the main story in D4 and they did a very good job on that as I found myself agreeing with Lilith in some ways and Inarius was more villainous as his motives were so selfish.

However I was very disappointed when it came to the actual game itself. I think there really was no real excitement to play other classes like I have done countless of times in POE or in skills in Undecember or Grim Dawn which are all superior to D4. The way to get tokens to upgrade just delays any fun one might have had in grinding the dungeons with harder modifications. The person who thought that gating it behind a token completely missed the memo on why people play arpgs. You should be able to do them to your heart's content but I guess they needed people to stay longer but this isn't the way to achieve that.

Graphics don't make a game sorry to say and graphics have never impressed me to the point where I might ignore gameplay. I can play games people consider downright ugly even if the gameplay is good. For heaven's sake I still play games like Titan Quest and the older Legend of Heroes games to give you an idea of what I consider good gameplay.
    Scot
    Chamber of Chains