Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZSA Moonlander Ergonomic Split Keyboard Review | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageZSA Moonlander Ergonomic Split Keyboard Review | MMORPG.com

Meet the Moonlander. It's ZSA's new ergonomic split keyboard and it's the ErgoDox evolved. If you're a coder, keyboard enthusiast, or just want to look after the health of your hands, this is a review you won't want to miss.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited August 2021
    That looks cool as hell; but wow that price. Now that I think about it, not sure about the perma-split design. The overall design would be cool as a normal KB.
    Mendel
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• tremmortremmor Member UncommonPosts: 80
    FANA (45 degrees) BERIE
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    How can any keyboard that adheres to the 'Qwerty' layout be promoted as ergonomic?  It was a bad design from the start in the 1800s, and has persisted forever.  At best, the curved rows match up better to the length of individual fingers, but it really doesn't improve the typing operation.

Scot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Was conisdering trying this since it looks cool, and is backlit... then I saw the price

After I was finally able to stop laughing, I changed my mind on trying this one.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited August 2021
    So this is the norm now isn't it. Release a product that doesn't necessarily contain new tech or a revolutionary idea even, but instead just might work a little better for a niche, then charge it like 5 times the price you'd think it should sit at.
    It's infuriating.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2021
    jazz.be said:
    So this is the norm now isn't it. Release a product that doesn't necessarily contain new tech or a revolutionary idea even, but instead just might work a little better for a niche, then charge it like 5 times the price you'd think it should sit at.
    It's infuriating.
    More like it's MMORPG.com's norm to do reviews on these niche products.

If you're looking to buy something (mainstream) you should head to a dedicated hardware review website that makes it their job to try to review all important releases in their chosen category. MMORPG.com reviews are more about introducing us different and often somewhat niche devices.
    Post edited by Vrika on
    Mendel

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269

Mendel said:

How can any keyboard that adheres to the 'Qwerty' layout be promoted as ergonomic?  It was a bad design from the start in the 1800s, and has persisted forever.  At best, the curved rows match up better to the length of individual fingers, but it really doesn't improve the typing operation.

qwerty was never designed for ergonomics, it was designed for speed.

On topic, that keyboard looks like it'll give you carpal tunnel faster than a standard keyboard. The photos of the hands on the keyboard look like it'd be uncomfortable after extended periods of use.

I bought the original Ergodox EZ. The keyboard itself is very comfortable and very well made. The interface to set up the keys was not easy to use making the function keys awkward to use so I ended up putting it in a drawer hoping they would update it in the future.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Mendel said:

On topic, that keyboard looks like it'll give you carpal tunnel faster than a standard keyboard. The photos of the hands on the keyboard look like it'd be uncomfortable after extended periods of use.

This is the exact opposite of what it does. The picture of my hand on the keyboard looks awkward because I was also taking the picture at the time. I talk about this in the review itself if you want to see how it actively works against carpal tunnel and RSIs.
    ultimateduck[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269

Mendel said:

This is the exact opposite of what it does. The picture of my hand on the keyboard looks awkward because I was also taking the picture at the time. I talk about this in the review itself if you want to see how it actively works against carpal tunnel and RSIs.
    I'll take your word for it, not really interested in ergonomic keyboards and I don't personally have issues with carpal tunnel or RSI. If I saw a video of it in use I'd definitely have a better idea. Otherwise, I just like to look at them because I think they look goofy.
    For gaming purposes, think of them as a left and right hand Nostromo with thumb buttons rather than a thumb directional pad.

I've never tried to use one side only, like a Nostromo, in conjunction with a standard keyboard. I'm a lefty so I currently use my numpad for keybinds/movement (instead of WASD). It may be worth looking into.