Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Original Valheim House Was Destroyed And It Made Me More Upset Than I Realized | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageMy Original Valheim House Was Destroyed And It Made Me More Upset Than I Realized | MMORPG.com

Over the last week something sad happened on our Valheim server: Bradford's original house was destroyed. At first he played it off, but as the days have gone on, its made him more and more depressed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is just another layer of lazy game design imo.
    The large trolls or Swamp or whatever creatures do NOT resides outside their biomes so for them to be auto spawned in is annoying and immersion breaking.
    I realize content is scripted/automated but my peeve is that i don't like it to LOOK in your face like a computer program.

I don't want to se creatures spawn in that do not belong there unless your havine them MOVE from zone to zone.Like sometimes/often we get Graybeards wandering in from the Dark Forest but they don't just wander in because the scripting is AUTOMATED to hav them track you down and attack you.

More LAZY work,these creatures do NOT have any stamina and you can toy with their AI easily because it is very one dimensional AI again lazy work.You know how stupid it looks making the troll move back n forth making it seem like he is lost in the pathing,it looks really fake.

There is very little in defenses ,i mean we could build a giant mote around ou bases but bah not interested.In Atlas i could hire NPC's and have them man weapons to defend my base.I could also have pets to wander around the base and kill anything that might arise.

In other words it lacks depth and yet i am still playing and have not yet taken a break since January.I keep hoping the devs will add something/new interesting as i start new adventures on new maps.

Ungood

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    To have trolls spawn in where they don't belong because "it's a survival game" feels like a time waster to me. I had that happen to me logged in to a troll laying waste to my house and got killed too. I was so pissed because I had just finished it the night before.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    And this is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of survival games.
    Kyleran
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    I understand your attachment. But the game loop of repair and rebuild just because I stepped away from base has me totally deflated. I just don't care anymore.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Tiller said:
    And this is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of survival games.
    Yep, just not a fan of losing progression, especially if I'm no where around to try and prevent the loss.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hivemind9000hivemind9000 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I really don't understand both this article and the generally negative comments here. For me this was the best part of the game, as it gave me a reason to build up my village into a proper fort. Once we had decent stone walls up (which wasn't difficult), the trolls were no longer a problem.

I'm generally not into survival games, but I loved the growth/decay aspects of Valheim as it made it feel like a living, breathing world - and it was fairly easy to overcome the decay aspects once you got going.

Seems like most of the negative posters haven't even played the game. The trolls would occasionally raid (as would other creatures) only when you were at the base, so you had a chance to do something about it. It really was a non issue.
    UngoodJHLotB
  • ratfart420ratfart420 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    If you don't have a moat or at least spikes your base is bound to get rekt by a random event eventually.
  • corrosivechainscorrosivechains Member UncommonPosts: 50
    And this is why we can't have nice things. People buy games knowing exactly what it is but expecting it to be different, then get upset when the game does exactly what it's supposed to. Then they complain about it and rile up a bunch of people who "don't like that type of game" and admit they don't play them to push developers into turning it into something else entirely.

Seen it happen with WoW, ESO, Fallout 76, Atlas....

Please stop ruining games for those of us who actually DO enjoy these games for what they were/are. Not every game needs to be a milquetoast, hand you everything, single player snoozefest with some added social features so they can 'technically' call themselves an MMO/multiplayer.
    JHLotBKarminathevampAPThugKyleran
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited June 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2021

I really don't understand both this article and the generally negative comments here. For me this was the best part of the game, as it gave me a reason to build up my village into a proper fort. Once we had decent stone walls up (which wasn't difficult), the trolls were no longer a problem.

I'm generally not into survival games, but I loved the growth/decay aspects of Valheim as it made it feel like a living, breathing world - and it was fairly easy to overcome the decay aspects once you got going.

Seems like most of the negative posters haven't even played the game. The trolls would occasionally raid (as would other creatures) only when you were at the base, so you had a chance to do something about it. It really was a non issue.

Welcome to the forums! :)

I think the article was about the feelings a MMORPG could engender in you rather than some sort of complaint.
    Ungood[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Well this reminded me of a joke I heard:

Everyone wants a living breathing world, till they need to change the bed sheets.
    ScotlotrloreKyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited June 2021
    Ungood said:

Everyone wants a living breathing world, till they need to change the bed sheets.
    No worse thing I hate doing is ironing and washing toilets. These two are the absolute worst jobs in the household.
    Ungood
    Chamber of Chains
  • bl4ckholebl4ckhole Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Dude don't invest much on wooden houses with no proper defences around. Just dig a deep hole around the base and put a fence at least. This will bug the trolls and your houses will be safe. Once you have access to iron build your main base with stone.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited June 2021
    cheyane said:

No worse thing I hate doing is ironing and washing toilets. These two are the absolute worst jobs in the household.
    lol, I disagree! Believe it or not (but you should believe it) of all the apartment chores, I don't mind cleaning the bathroom (actually prefer it so I can get it "my type of clean), and when I iron I take extra care, especially with pleats and the like.

I find ironing very relaxing. 

Having said that, I only iron dress pants or dress shirts or ties when they need it it.

[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    i only wear rags so that solves the ironing issue. 
    SovrathScot
    .05 of a second to midnight
    cheyane said:
    Ungood said:

Meh,  those are nothing compared to washing out 5 cat litter boxes.

My wife and I "affectionately" refer to it as "cat box Thursday", our "favorite" day of the week.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Best ambience in a game I have played to date, and love the graphics style of the game it really complements the game world. Best $20 game I have also bought as well.
    Rungar[Deleted User]
    edited June 2021
    ElonMusk said:
    [mod edit]
    Are you aright mate? I have noticed you only seem to do negative one liners now, you used to be more rounded in your posts?
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Ungood
    Still whiff about the Bitcoin fall. 
    UngoodScotAsheram

Well I don't think his comments as left field as they were needed to be removed, lets hope he gets back to his old self.
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    After these things happen, you simply need to adapt. That's part of the fun of the game; problem solving. If you aren't advanced enough to build stone - and even if you are - just terraform large trenches. I've experiemented with double trenches etc to see how/if I could channel different mobs in different ways.

I don't think I've ever had more fun with $20.00 when it comes to video game entertainment.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    How did the troll get to your house?

You have to build moats or a fence, preferably stone around your "village" and spread work benches around to keep these guys from spawning inside the village.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.