Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion: My Mum Would Say New World Has Good Bones | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageOpinion: My Mum Would Say New World Has Good Bones | MMORPG.com

Lewis is pretty excited for New World, mainly because it has as his Mum would say "Good Bones." Here's why.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It definitely needs more body shape options: tall. short, thick and thin or better yet, sliders for those but like you say, it's a good start not confining character creation to just male/female.

It's also one of a growing list of new games with 3 pronoun options - in New World's case just for titles I think. I admit that I'm an old fart who struggles to write, or worse yet speak, in non-binary terms and it feels forced to me. But I do have a Gen Z daughter so I know that it's routine for them and matters to their generation.

I also really like their UI with informative damage numbers and buff/debuff icons on the enemies' health bar right out of the gate with no mods needed.

Their Elder Scrolls' style top compass bar is something I'm used to and actually prefer to mini-maps and NW has IMO, improved on the Bethesda standard. It was a pleasant surprise when I leveled up skinning and gathering enough to enable tracking of certain things to start seeing distinctive and recognizable turkey, rabbit, hemp or magical plant icons start appearing on the compass bar when I was near them.

Tillerandrefueripegastovski1TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Iselin said:

It definitely needs more body shape options: tall. short, thick and thin or better yet, sliders for those but like you say, it's a good start not confining character creation to just male/female.

It's also one of a growing list of new games with 3 pronoun options - in New World's case just for titles I think. I admit that I'm an old fart who struggles to write, or worse yet speak, in non-binary terms and it feels forced to me. But I do have a Gen Z daughter so I know that it's routine for them and matters to their generation.

I also really like their UI with informative damage numbers and buff/debuff icons on the enemies' health bar right out of the gate with no mods needed.

Their Elder Scrolls' style top compass bar is something I'm used to and actually prefer to mini-maps and NW has IMO, improved on the Bethesda standard. It was a pleasant surprise when I leveled up skinning and gathering enough to enable tracking of certain things to start seeing distinctive and recognizable turkey, rabbit, hemp or magical plant icons start appearing on the compass bar when I was near them.

I agree with most of what you said except when it comes to compass vs mini-map. I hate having open a full map just to take glimpse on how to get around obstacles; especially with hidden mobs around with large a aggro radius. In ESO I always had to add it on so hopefully we will at least have that option. Just a personal thing, that's all.
    IselinMaxDragonardandrefueripe
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• tremmortremmor Member UncommonPosts: 80
    MMORPG game to catter to a lot of players HAS TO HAVE GOOD PVE. If NW won't have it it will be a niche game with 3k online on steam (like many other PVP-centric games). For now PvE is abysmal... even leveling is killing basically same few mobs that are just adjusted to our lvls. I'm a PvE player like 80% of MMORPG players and i refunded
    MaxDragonardSensaiandrefueripe
    Tiller said:

Iselin said:

I agree with most of what you said except when it comes to compass vs mini-map. I hate having open a full map just to take glimpse on how to get around obstacles; especially with hidden mobs around with large a aggro radius. In ESO I always had to add it on so hopefully we will at least have that option. Just a personal thing, that's all.
    Like you say the mini-map is a personal preference but one of the reasons I do prefer the compass is for the same reason you don't - I want to figure out the way to get around those obstacles with a little less guidance. You can get into much more trouble that way :)
    SovrathandrefueripeAzothTacticalZombehYashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,454
    edited August 2021

Wargfoot said:

That is kind of how I felt about the game as well.
    Good bones.

The nice thing about Amazon is they can pour another 200 million into this without missing it much.   They should be able to roll out some really interesting expansions even if the game isn't a hit right out of the gate.

Look how No Man's Sky turned things around.

I agree and the game has changed so much over a year, so I am leaning more towards the confident side that they can flesh it out a good deal more with a bit more time. I think the only other mmorpg people are waiting for relatively close is Lost Ark (which they are publishing) and ffxiv's expansion, so I think they can afford the time. It looks like Blizzard is having a hard time with other things, which seems to be causing development delays, so 9.2 probably wont be anytime soon to draw away competition. Elyon does have some interest, but I think that's forced pvp (someone can tell me if I'm wrong), so it might not get as much traction compared to New World. New World's weapon leveling and crafting system looks like it'll keep me busy for a good bit, so I wont be really hyper critical of it until after the first month. Plus its b2p so people can always drop it and out whenever there's an update.
    Harkur
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

tremmor said:

MMORPG game to catter to a lot of players HAS TO HAVE GOOD PVE. If NW won't have it it will be a niche game with 3k online on steam (like many other PVP-centric games). For now PvE is abysmal... even leveling is killing basically same few mobs that are just adjusted to our lvls. I'm a PvE player like 80% of MMORPG players and i refunded

I'm a PvE player as well and spent 70 hrs playing solely PvE during the beta. Never touched PvP once. While I agree more content is needed, what they do have is well done. In particular, the living, breathing environment is just amazing. The interactivity, sounds, lighting, music and overall ambiance felt really immersive. There are some really scary places in Brightwood that I just loved! I would take breaks from quest grinding just to go off the beaten path, explore and kill grind to level weapon.
    Khebelncovethandrefueripe[Deleted User]HarkurAzothTacticalZombehetlariby355Blindchanceand 1 other.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794

achesoma said:

tremmor said:

I'm a PvE player as well and spent 70 hrs playing solely PvE during the beta. Never touched PvP once. While I agree more content is needed, what they do have is well done. In particular, the living, breathing environment is just amazing. The interactivity, sounds, lighting, music and overall ambiance felt really immersive. There are some really scary places in Brightwood that I just loved! I would take breaks from quest grinding just to go off the beaten path, explore and kill grind to level weapon.

I agree with you. Im fine with more pve as long as we dont get classical Raids. I got bored of raiding for 2 decades.

I know they got 6 more dungeons waiting for us, and they want to focus on adding more depth to the world.
    achesomaandrefueripeYashaX

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Theres already a new zone "near" compleet and the pvx world will grow alot over time, what we seen in beta was just a part of the world, every zone will have its basic quest and in the beta zones and atleast 1 instanced dungeon and most will (and already have) a open world "elite"zone.

Personaly I think its smart they dont focus to much about hundreds of "different" quest to do since as we all know, 90% of the players dont give a shit about quest.. its just the leveling poop you need to do in order to get to the endgame.

Im more happy that the dungeons get harder and harder the further you go into the game world and have plenty of play styles to choose from.

It never be perfect, no game is, but sofar I had a blast playing all aspects of the game.
    achesomaYashaX
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I just wish I log get into it.
  • MaxDragonardMaxDragonard Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Bones without meat is just a skeleton. Skeletons are undead creatures.
    [Deleted User]Mallyx
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2021
    So very hard for me to narrow this down to a few lines...

Let me see,i agree a game should release in a state mods are not needed.However after all these years i am to the point that we will NEVER see that game.I actually have a much more important request and that is that the devs give us tools to utilize our own server and access to all settings.THis way we all get the game WE WANT,no complaints then right?
    Otherwise we are ALWAYS going toget a game that is maybe 75% we like and 25% we despise,so we are never fully happy.Also there is always going to be the time when someone thinks of something cool to add to a game,so imo modding is just a win win for gamers.

Now the "Benchmark" part.

First we have to determine what exactly this game is doing and WHAT is the genre?I can accept it as being a base template or benchmark for other games to grow off of and improve over the years but what exactly is this genre?
    So for example i feel FFXI si the best template to build a mmorpg from.
    I feel Ark/Atlas/Wild west/Dark n Light "all the same template"is the best survival template to build a game from.

On that note i could even go so far as to say that the Ark template is the best overall template to build a game from.
    So the TNW has some glaring flaws that i despise and DO NOT want other games to copy.So for example instancing,i despise instance gaming.A lack of diversity in class design,a lack of CHOICE on how to play ,you either pvp or follow the linear path of instancing/quests to gear up for .....sigh...pvp.My point is that THIS game is not doing some of the good stuff i liek to see in a WORLD game so it is imo not THE benchmark template to build from but merely a somewhat suspect "adequate one".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited August 2021

achesoma said:

tremmor said:

If that's your idea of good pve then you are easy to please. You done 70 hours, well i got to level 40 and couldn't take the same repeat pve quests with different skins. The mobs all do the same thing, fetch and repeat just killed it for me.

Yes it's a great looking world but what's the point in that if you are just doing the same things over and over again. A breathing ambiance environment is not PVE lol, all you are describing is the world.

Perhaps i missed something, can tell me where you found this great Pve, don't tell me about the world i already known that.

thx
    repub

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Amazon now have a game that is not a fail at launch (pre-whatever) and it is a big game, they are going to work and work to perfect it, their reputation is at at sake. So really my only concerns are long term issues, turning round bolted on quests for something with more flavour will take a long time, the combat also seems to need long term work, finally faction v faction pvp and region control issues always take ages to sort out so they will here.
    [Deleted User]
    tzervo said:
    Wizardry said:
     lack of diversity in class design...
    Errrrr.... game has no classes?   :/

I guess you could say that qualifies as no class diversity.  o:)
    I guess the weapon skillsets are the classes? Do they have names, Axeman, Big Staff Guy, that sort of thing? :)
    [Deleted User]
  • urblazeurblaze Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    as a new game pre-released , i found it to be a great new game holding all the key points to look for in a newly released game. Beta means not finished as too many seem to forget. the beta map was alot smaller that the released version in order for more pvp content.
    there always seem to be haters and people who love to point out faults behind their keyboards, but i've not found much to be disturbed by when playing New World for my next full time MMO. it seems to have it all that i crave. Appearantly many of the players who cry the most havent done very much Beta testing and it blatantly shows by the things they are complaining about.

achesoma said:

tremmor said:

If that's your idea of good pve then you are easy to please. You done 70 hours, well i got to level 40 and couldn't take the same repeat pve quests with different skins. The mobs all do the same thing, fetch and repeat just killed it for me.

Yes it's a great looking world but what's the point in that if you are just doing the same things over and over again. A breathing ambiance environment is not PVE lol, all you are describing is the world.

Perhaps i missed something, can tell me where you found this great Pve, don't tell me about the world i already known that.

thx
    Well, disregarding the fact that the "E" in PvE stands for "environment" what makes great PvE? Is it good stories? Quest variety? Instanced group dungeons and raids? Good crafting and life skills?

Serious question because I've seen games with all or most of the above where players ignore all of it, pick a spot or spots to grind and just level up by doing nothing but grind. Is grinding good PvE?

I can think of several things that would make the NW PvE better: better story quests and more of them, quest sharing for playing with a friend or friends, more expeditions starting at level 10, not 25, without a crafted token needed for entry, more casual group PvE - like those corruptions - they could be cranked up a bit and made into drop in group events like ESO, GW2, Warhammer Online and Rift all had, you know?

But that's just me.

So what's great PvE for you?
    unfilteredJWYashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Virtual World is the aspect I'm looking for most in an MMORPG. I'm hoping that with a successful one under their belt, Amazon won't be shy about spending more of that dough on the genre and that aspect.
    [Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HarkurHarkur Member UncommonPosts: 19

tremmor said:

Do tell. 200,000+ people played the Beta for over 2,000,000 hours - and you think it will be a 3,000 total pop game? ?
    [Deleted User]xeronYashaX
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Excellent bones... Bare but excellent. Oh and old, fossilized almost, like 20 years of "nothing new already seen it all in other games and boring" kind of bones.

But them bones are really good, honestly.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    I dont know about good bones at all, the combat is really, really sub par and as a result the PvP is garbage. When they went back to the drawing board to showhorn PvE into the game due to the weak combat preventing PvP from carrying the game they should have done a complete and utter combat rework.

As it stands its pretty but super weak, as a game it would stand up if it launched 15 years ago but it didnt. It still doesnt know what its trying to be and as a result its got both weak PvP and weak PvE.

What Amazon games has done is show it can waste its time and money as good as the Anthem team.
    urblaze said:
    as a new game pre-released , i found it to be a great new game holding all the key points to look for in a newly released game. Beta means not finished as too many seem to forget. the beta map was alot smaller that the released version in order for more pvp content.
    there always seem to be haters and people who love to point out faults behind their keyboards, but i've not found much to be disturbed by when playing New World for my next full time MMO. it seems to have it all that i crave. Appearantly many of the players who cry the most havent done very much Beta testing and it blatantly shows by the things they are complaining about.
    Welcome to the forums! :smile:
  • Th3M3nT0rTh3M3nT0r Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    2Lewis Burnell
    How much Amazon pay for such review ? Mby Im gonna make some extra easy money like u did
  • BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

achesoma said:

tremmor said:

thx

I yet have to see MMORPG which has what you are asking for. Even in “story focused” MMOs I played quests are just window dressing which boils down to:

* Interact with a character you don't care about and be asked to do a task you don't care about
    * get asked to go to location A and B, kill X of Y or / and find M of N

There is a reason why so many people just click through all quests prompts and just click accept without reading anything. Story exposition time window is really short in MMORPG side quests. Main quests tend to be slightly better, but most of the time still subpar when compared to high quality RPGs, books or even films. Characters are one dimensional, story is predicable and full of cliché.

New World isn't that. Quests are clearly an afterthought, and the focus is supposed to lie elsewhere.
    YashaX
    edited August 2021
    tzervo said:
    Th3M3nT0r said:
    2Lewis Burnell
    How much Amazon pay for such review ? Mby Im gonna make some extra easy money like u did
    Sure. Smart thing to ignore all other posters that said they loved it too. Maybe they get paid as well.  :)
    I guess Lewis's mum must have made some "extra easy money" too. :)

What is it with these guys, if you want to find someone getting paid go and watch a streamer.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaX