Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are You Going To Play New World? | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageAre You Going To Play New World? | MMORPG.com

Many MMORPG players ask the question: Are you going to play New World? Tim breaks it down in his latest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    edited August 2021
    Yes. I'm going to be a casual player though. I hope they have something for everyone.
    RandomCasualtySamhael[Deleted User]velimiriusTacticalZombeh

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• tremmortremmor Member UncommonPosts: 80
    edited August 2021
    Nope. As this game doesn't offer much to a PVE player i refunded on Steam and bought Lost Ark starting package (which i may refund as well after i'll have seen the game in some beta test).
    MensurNomadMorlockSetzerPhixion13ZenJellyvelimiriusgastovski1Erinak1Trelanmuthax
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Yes, very casually 
    SevenwindPhixion13TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    yes!
    [Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    No, it will fail like all Amazon games before
    NomadMorlockMcSleazultimateduckSamhaelvelimiriusgastovski1muthaxsomeforumguy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Yes.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    All the feels! I tried the beta during the last weekend just out of boredom. I had very low expectations and it completely sucked me in. I had the same experience and I just can’t put my finger on why. Haven’t looked forward to a launch this much probably since SWG or Vanguard.
    laserit[Deleted User]YashaXTacticalZombehKhebelnZenJelly[Deleted User]muthax
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited August 2021
    Yeah, I got it free so why not?

That hemp in that second picture triggers me....I remember fighting over those spawns with other noobs to make fishing poles so I could fish right away.
    ultimateduckSarlaTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]muthax
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    No New World for me until the New Year I think, but I may catch the "play me!" bug before then.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Yes.

I have some friends who will be playing so I'll join them. Admittedly, the setting leaves me cold.

I just have no interest in it. Still, the game looks good so hopefully, that will help.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Heck yea!

The game is buy to play, the combat felt great, pvp/wars were amazing, leveling was good, the scaling was solid... This game has the whole package. Yes, there are things that need work, but I am confident that AGS will lock it down for the release.

I have not been this excited for a game since SWTOR/Planetside 2 launch.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]NomadMorlockKhebeln[Deleted User]

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    I will not
    [Deleted User]velimiriusPalebanegastovski1

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I will probably later down the road after they add more content to the game. There's a lot to like about New World but the game has some glaring flaws that need to be addressed and I doubt an extra 30 days is going to help much.....and maybe they'll never get addressed, who knows.

I know the original design of the game wasn't meant to be focused on PvE but now that's changed and they're adding more PvE content to their game but it's just not very good. It's been slapped on and not very thought out. Quests(tasks is what they should be called) are nothing but fetch and kill quests which become boring and repetitive as you level up. Also some of them have you running all over the place and great distances that you spend more time walking from the task giver to the destination than you do actually completing the task.

Also end game is nothing but PvP and crafting. Maybe for some that's enough but not for me. I know they said they plan on adding some raid content later on but why not delay the game longer to add some more content and at least have one raid in place when the game launches? I just don't see them retaining a lot of their player base 30 days after launch because the people who don't like to PvP will get bored and move on to something else. The game isn't very casual friendly either. Traveling to places takes time and there are no mounts so be prepared to do lots of walking and if you're only playing this game 1-2hrs a day/night your enjoyment is going to be limited.

With launch being delayed until the September 28th it puts the release that much closer to Lost Ark's release and I would rather play it instead because at least that game has been out for a few years and is a more complete product. I think New World has loads of potential to be a really good MMO but it needs more time, which pretty much could be said about every other MMO I've played at launch. The last MMO I played at launch was ESO and I only played it for 30 days before cancelling....probably not even the full 30 days. The game was buggy and the end game content was either PvP or make another character to experience the other faction storylines. After about 2 years of content patches and bug fixes the game was in a much better place and I've been playing it since that time. Hopefully the same will happen with New World.
    IllvrZephyrjinxZenJelly[Deleted User]velimiriusScotTrelan
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited August 2021
    Raserei said:
    Heck yes! #1 MMORPG ever created! Here is some feedback:

Not sure if these are your videos but I'll disagree with your first assertion that the quest board goes against a sandbox game.

More to the point, it's the type of quests that are seen on that board.

Those ARE the type of quests that a sandbox game, if it incorporates such things, should have. Just substitute the word "quest" with "job."

Because that's what those are, they are jobs.

I'm ok that they are provided to the player by the game and not by other players.

It's the quests where "farmer brown is in trouble as his daughter has been taken by goblins" which are the problem.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for posting the feedback.

[Deleted User]ultimateduckKhebelnAzothmuthax
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tremmortremmor Member UncommonPosts: 80

toljar said:

Heck yea!

The game is buy to play, the combat felt great, pvp/wars were amazing, leveling was good, the scaling was solid... This game has the whole package. Yes, there are things that need work, but I am confident that AGS will lock it down for the release.

I have not been this excited for a game since SWTOR/Planetside 2 launch.

Whole package? PVE options are abysmal
    IllvrvelimiriusTrelan
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Hey it's a Tim article! Good to see!
    lotrlore[Deleted User]Scot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DravendoreDravendore Member UncommonPosts: 80
    If what I've played up to this point represents the game then I definitely say no. It feels too bland and generic. Ironically there's nothing about "New World" that actually feels new at all. I think these guys missed a great opportunity to set a new standard. Instead we're left with a husk of a game with no personality.
    IllvrNomadMorlockMaxDragonardPalebaneMensurgastovski1TrelanmuthaxJeroKane
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I got 52hr of game play into Beta but I thought I would try Swords of Legends Online before I committed to NW and Im having way more fun in SoLo. So I got a refund on NW. May revisit NW at a later time but I think SoLo will keep me busy till Corepunk comes out. 
    NomadMorlockPhixion13TalmienZenJellyvelimiriusTrelanmuthax
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    No.  I have absolutely zero interest in it.
    IllvrFrodoFraginsPalebaneMensurgastovski1Trelan

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555
    Hey it's a Tim article! Good to see!
    Definitely need more of these.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]ScotRavZterz
  • PrimalGeckoPrimalGecko Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I was initially interested in playing this, but I'm not going to commit at all at this time. So, no New World for me in the works.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    I tried both the SOLO beta and the New World beta and I enjoyed new world far more by far so yeah my son and I will probably play New World for a spell.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Groqstrong[Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    So far it looks like "level up as fast as you can to get into PvP" - kind of game. No thanks.

I'll keep my eye on this game for sure but for now i'll pass. Maybe pick it up later on a bargain bin, who knows.
    Trelan
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nice to see you writing here again, Tim.

This was my second time around with NW. I played last year's preview and canceled my pre-order. I appreciated its world, art style, sounds, mobs but it just didn't grab me.

I was very skeptical about the only two organized group events that existed then - 50 v. 50 PvP Wars and 50 v. mobs Invasions. Both instanced and neither with a guarantee that you could even play them with their rarity and sign-up board system. I didn't think that was enough for either group PvP or PvE.

I also hated the 3 weapon swap with shared cooldowns between the weapons and the over-use (IMO) of stagger after every single light or heavy attack that could result in being stun-locked (or more precisely stagger locked) to death unless you really knew the inner workings of iframe granting defensive moves - which the game just assumed you would figure out for yourself. There was also an awful lot of self-rooting whenever you used one of those abilities that were on a long-ass cooldown and didn't even feel like they deserved a cool down

Maybe it was also because I wasn't quite done with ESO yet (we were "on a break") and the combat just kept reinforcing that I liked ESO's brand of actionish combat better with no CDs and free movement regardless of what skill you were in the middle of using.

So I canceled, reconciled with ESO and gave it a shot again.

Fast forward a year. I'm no longer playing ESO and I think this time the split is permanent. All the minor annoyances I lived with in ESO, became big annoyances.

Meanwhile NW spent the last year addressing in major and minor ways almost everything I didn't like last year. Weapon cooldowns have been reduced substantially and each weapon's 3 abilities has its own independent timer so swapping to the other one lets you use its abilities immediately and consequently feels worth the swap with tactics you can develop for using this and that thing from weapon A that flows nicely into using that other couple of abilities from weapon B. Much less self rooting as well with many abilities that did that to you last year usable while moving (slowly, but at least moving) now.

They added repeatable dungeons for that much beloved and traditional PvE game mode. Still not enough of them or starting early enough while leveling, and they're gated behind a crafted token (probably just one senior dev who hates dungeons and had to be mollified by giving him a type of raid lock so we couldn't just repeat them all the time - hopefully they'll complete the process of beating that dev down and get rid of the token silliness) and they added fort captures as a PvP hotspot to fight over 24/7 for some buffs to your faction that are independent from the ownership of the zone they're located in, as well as one PvX battleground for level 60 that looks like a lot of fun, is on demand whenever you want to do it (no silly tokens needed) with its only glaring problem that you have to be level 60 to do it and there is only one. Hopefully there will be more than one of those with lower level versions as well.

I kept up with the changes and was curious enough to give it a second chance, pre-ordered again and played it the past couple of weeks. Second date was the charm. Everything I liked from the first time is still there with some improvements even - they even added a very nicely implemented fishing life skill that only needs a chair and a cooler full of beer to be perfect - the combat feels much, much better to me and best of all, I can be the dungeon and PvP healer I always like being in MMOs. It grabbed me this time.

TLDR: Yup. I'll be there on launch day.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deus[Deleted User]YashaXGroqstrongMendel[Deleted User]Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED