Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High end PC gaming computers banned- not

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
edited August 2021 in General Gaming
IDK if people are aware of this but before you get in an uproar about some clickbait articles that take a bit of truth and skew it for their own gain watch this.

edit: I probably should have posted this in the hardware section but too late now sry.
[Deleted User][Deleted User]GodeauAlBQuirky

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Interesting video.
    My ultra high end Alienware has a really nice 1000w PS and liquid cooling and obviously draws a lot of power but I live in North Carolina USA in a town with SAS, Cisco, Nvidia, IBM, Epic games, Ubisoft and Insomniac Games. 
    The state would never limit power here because of the economic power those companies have. 
    Oh this is a low power green thing? I had to turn my new TV to "Vivid" just to get the best picture, you are assumed to want to see a poorer picture!
    AsheramAlBQuirky
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Cost of electricity where I am is pretty darn reasonable. Reasonable enough to waste, which is what many do.
    AsheramAlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited August 2021
    laserit said:
    Cost of electricity where I am is pretty darn reasonable. Reasonable enough to waste, which is what many do.
    It isn't so much about the cost, or even capacity concerns, rather it's about reducing carbon footprints from energy usage from fossil fuels.

The states doing the banning are all eco-friendly from a policy perspective.

"California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont, or Washington"

https://www.ign.com/articles/dell-alienware-gaming-pcs-six-states-power-consumption-ban

Asheram[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2021
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    It isn't so much about the cost, or even capacity concerns, rather it's about reducing carbon footprints from energy usage from fossil fuels.

All of his electricity and all of mine (we're neighbors) comes from dams.
    AsheramAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited August 2021
    Interesting video.
    My ultra high end Alienware has a really nice 1000w PS and liquid cooling and obviously draws a lot of power but I live in North Carolina USA in a town with SAS, Cisco, Nvidia, IBM, Epic games, Ubisoft and Insomniac Games. 
    The state would never limit power here because of the economic power those companies have. 
    While the NC state government is far too red to push for such laws, many large companies are fully onboard with the reduction of carbon foot prints throughout their organizations.

My employer is a major financial service / technology company so jumping on this bandwagon is a high priority.

This past year they set up some of the largest private setups of solar panels I've ever seen at the location I work at, literally covering the entire 3rd floor of the 2500 car parking facility and the nearby land lots as well 

Supposedly be earns it like 40% in brown credits or something like that due to the reduction in fossil fuel usage.

Though I have to wonder how many fossil fuels were consumed to build the entire superstructure, extra heavy duty of course as it had to be hurricane resistant

Coupled with the lightning rods every 2 feet or so around the garage perimeter it looks like the perfect lair for an evil team of Hydra scientists, just need to add a death ray or something.

;)

Hail Hydra

Asheramlaxie[Deleted User]RidelynnBrainyAlBQuirkylaserit

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    laserit said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/dell-alienware-gaming-pcs-six-states-power-consumption-ban

In our province we are probably 95% hydroelectric and 5% playing around with other methods.

We are blessed with abundant water sources but recent events such as that heat dome at the beginning of summer leaves me wondering how long into the future the same will hold true.
    AlBQuirky

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited August 2021
    “It’s not a ban”

”can I buy it?”

”No, it’s not allowed here“

*slow clap
    RidelynnmaskedweaselBrainyAlBQuirky
    edited August 2021
    laserit said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:

In our province we are probably 95% hydroelectric and 5% playing around with other methods.

We are blessed with abundant water sources but recent events such as that heat dome at the beginning of summer leaves me wondering how long into the future the same will hold true.
    Err, don't look now but in the environmentalist view hydroelectric power is often viewed as a bad thing if rivers had to be dammed up to create them.

https://www.greengeeks.com/blog/hydroelectric-energy/

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    edited August 2021
    Every form of energy pollutes something
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I work for a massive international company. I have to prepare 2 business cases for my projects now.  One is for what we want our facilities to be.  The other is what it would be if we took "green" to the next level higher than what we propose.  All our buildings will need to be LEED certified going forward.  

This just started so interested to see if we put our money where our mouth is.  Cost difference is tens of millions of dollars for my initial projects.
    KyleranAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I saw this story on reddit. The knee-jerk reactions and click-bait society we live in is getting way out of hand. That video was posted to get some better reporting than the IGN article provided :)
    Asheram[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Horusra said:
    Some ways much worse than others.
    [Deleted User]Tuor7

laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    Yep, just a matter of what consequences you are willing to live with.

Outside of their initial manufacturing costs I suspect solar and wind are two of the least damaging to the environment, especially if they can be leveraged into already existing development uses such as my employer did covering the parking areas.

AlBQuirky

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    I recently bought an Alienware R-10, with AMD 5950X cpu and 6800XT graphics.

Liquid cooled, lots of power consumption.

But, I work from home. Many days I don't even get into the car. And I don't have air-conditioning. My power bill is a constant $110 every month, winter or summer.

So I don't feel guilty at all.
    AlBQuirky

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:

Err, don't look now but in the environmentalist view hydroelectric power is often viewed as a bad thing if rivers had to be dammed up to create them.

https://www.greengeeks.com/blog/hydroelectric-energy/

We’re no strangers to environmental protest over hydroelectric projects. We have environmental protests over every damn thing these days.

It’s an ugly business when they build them. When they are done I have a totally different perspective, I have three hydro dams within a 5-10 minute drive of my home. The area is an outdoor recreation hot spot.

We have very steep/deep mountain valleys here which lend themselves well for dam building and reduce the area of land area required. Run of river is another type of power that’s been introduced recently. I do a lot of back country recreation and I personally find the run of river projects more intrusive than the damns, but that might just be a visual thing.

AlBQuirkyKyleran

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    More importantly, right now we can't produce enough energy with the cleaner energy sources.

Perhaps one day in the future we've got enough cleaner energy sources that we can do stuff like use green hydrogen instead of fossil fuels. But until then, we must try to both conserve energy and to produce it in eco-friendlier ways. Neither solution alone is enough.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyKyleranlaseritTuor7

Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:

Outside of their initial manufacturing costs I suspect solar and wind are two of the least damaging to the environment, especially if they can be leveraged into already existing development uses such as my employer did covering the parking areas.

Maybe, but how much land area are you using up per watt etc.

I wonder what the most efficient form of mass power generation that we are currently capable of is?

Lockheed had a hell of an announcement  3-4 years ago or so regarding fusion power. Let’s hope that they are still on track.
    AlBQuirky

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    laserit said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:

I wonder what the most efficient form of mass power generation that we are currently capable of is?

Lockheed had a hell of an announcement  3-4 years ago or so regarding fusion power. Let’s hope that they are still on track.
    Land area isn't a problem. We could produce more electricity than we need with solar power alone if we for example covered part of Sahara with solar panels.
    SensaiAlBQuirkylaserit

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    laserit said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:

It seems that nuclear is the most efficient. I could be wrong. Environmentalists don't like to hear that.
    [Deleted User]laseritTuor7

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited August 2021
    Vrika said:
    laserit said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:

Land area isn't a problem. We could produce more electricity than we need with solar power alone if we for example covered part of Sahara with solar panels.
    What Lockheed is working on is pretty amazing stuff. Their fusion design is very compact and many current ng generation facilities will be able to cost effectively convert their plants with reactors that will fit in a 40ft container.

Bold announcements by Lockheed Martin

Exciting stuff.

edit: They also claimed they would have their first fusion powered aircraft flying within ten years, around five years ago.

AlBQuirky

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2021
    Interesting video.
    Unless you were part of LONG term testing of hardware parts you will have no idea of the quality of any part in your PC.It is for the same reason i laugh at this sites hardware reviews,they do NOT do proper informative reviews but instead act as promoters to said products.

The world of business is becoming more and more volatile with manufacturer's pushing the limits on what they can get away with.We even see it in gaming as studios now ask for money from gamers before they even begin making a game and or early access releases asking money for unfinished buggy games,the industry is in a mess.

We have Chris Robert's with over 300 million and yet can't deliver a finished product..lmao scammer 101.

This isn't even anything new,gpu/cpu manufactuer's have been creating a NEW market every year whilst barely raising the bar a small notch but just enough to get all the addicted spenders to buy in to the NEW kid on the block.

When i buy PC's or parts now or pretty much anything from an electronics store it is no longer just BEST Buy but most of them now adopted the "do you want to pay extra for the insurance?".
    I am like how about no,i fully 100% expect this product to work or you will replace it with one that does,i am not in the business of just handing you free money.They "get it"they know they are scamming people but they also get a commission so it is in their best interest to try and rip you off.

IMO i am happy with ANY government at least taking a look at ALL markets and keeping a tight lid on businesses taking advantage of consumers stupidity.
    KyleranKidRiskAlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    AlBQuirky said:
    laserit said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:

It seems that nuclear is the most efficient. I could be wrong. Environmentalists don't like to hear that.

Seems a lot of environmentalist are praising nuclear power now.  

Environmentalist killed nuclear power in USA, then 40 years later, WHOOPS nuke power is the best they say.

Windmills good, until windmills kill birds bad.

Hydro good, until hydro kills fish breeding bad.

Ozone is going to kill humanity, until ozone repairs itself whoops.

Global warming, until global cooling, lets just call it Climate change so we can fit it all in one umbrella.

Heatwaves, until polar vortex's.

Too much rain in California, climate change is causing El Nino, too little water in California climate change is causing draughts.

Climate change is causing massive hurricanes, until no major hurricanes, then climate change is to blame for fewer hurricanes.

Ethanol is good, until Ethanol is bad.

List goes on and on, round and round we go.

Do scientists even do real research anymore I wonder.

So here we are now with solar?  Give it a decade or 2, I am sure it will 180 reverse.  Just like everything else.

AlBQuirky
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    edited August 2021
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:

except for the high amounts of mechanical waste and oil used to keep wind farms going and the production of solar panels creates a high amount of heavy metal poison in the environment.

Lithium for electric cars is already destroying much of Africa and China's soil and is already being felt in Europe and the US with high amounts of heavy metals being found in our processed foods from China....baby food especially that contain veggies grown in the ground like sweet potatoes.
    KyleranlaseritAlBQuirky
    Horusra said:
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:

except for the high amounts of mechanical waste and oil used to keep wind farms going and the production of solar panels creates a high amount of heavy metal poison in the environment.

Lithium for electric cars is already destroying much of Africa and China's soil and is already being felt in Europe and the US with high amounts of heavy metals being found in our processed foods from China....baby food especially that contain veggies grown in the ground like sweet potatoes.
    Like I said, consequences for every choice, there is no free lunch.
    laseritArglebargleAlBQuirky