Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV's Sage Job Icon Changed Due To Trypophobia Concerns | MMORPG.com

Comments

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    edited July 2021

I cannot understand it. I can look at a honeycomb and be fine. But there are certain shapes that just make me constantly think about the image and feel queasy while doing it. It isn't a fear, at least for me, just the sight makes me queasy.

the thing that made me realize I had it was a video of a toad that gives birth through its back. I don't know what it is, I don't find the act gross, but just seeing all the holes in the back drove me crazy. All I could think about was filling the holes with cement or something to make them go away. Not to kill the toad or anything, just so there weren't holes anymore. I know it sounds crazy, and if I didn't have it, I would think the same. "Just holes bro", I get it. I don't understand it either. Edit: The symbol here doesn't bother me at all, but I can understand it bothering people with trypophobia. I don't know how people who are afraid of snakes and spiders react when it is in video games, but I assume most are afraid when it is a physical threat and not just a sight?

Trypophobia can result in fear, disgust, or both.

Phobias manifest differently between persons. Some are only triggered when encountering the real thing. Some can be triggered by still images of it.

While some may only experience extreme discomfort when triggered others can experience fear to the point it effectively cripples them.

Phobias are highly variable between persons and can be anything from inconvenient to devastating to the lives of those they afflict.

They aren't something that should be taken lightly.
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Lol look at all these responses, this is one bad ass media play....

• xybedoutxybedout Member UncommonPosts: 58
    The question should be why this was news worthy. They had a temp cover 3 holes in an icon.

Kyleran
    xybedout said:
    The question should be why this was news worthy. They had a temp cover 3 holes in an icon.

It is the same that makes books worthy, that beneath the cover.
    strawhat0981
  • GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132

Sovrath said:

mgilbrtsn said:

I find it hard that comments were pouring in for 'trypophobia'. Honestly, we've become a much weaker society. Everything triggers something for somebody. We don't need to regress to the 40s mentality but if we moved a bit closer to that than to current 2020s mentality. (In terms of not being toooo sensative. Don't bombard me with racism, sexism, or any other 'isms'. Go with the context and not the word choice plz.

It was an easy fix ...

They weren't wedded to the holes ...

A few people said it was an issue ...

It took seconds for them to do as they didn't really care ...

Trypophobia might not be a real phobia or might be due to something else.

But it was so much "not" a big deal they just did it and got on with their lives.

Why even mention it then if it was so trivial.
    Kyleran
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Grintch said:

Sovrath said:

mgilbrtsn said:

I find it hard that comments were pouring in for 'trypophobia'. Honestly, we've become a much weaker society. Everything triggers something for somebody. We don't need to regress to the 40s mentality but if we moved a bit closer to that than to current 2020s mentality. (In terms of not being toooo sensative. Don't bombard me with racism, sexism, or any other 'isms'. Go with the context and not the word choice plz.

It was an easy fix ...

But it was so much "not" a big deal they just did it and got on with their lives.

Why even mention it then if it was so trivial.
    They got feedback on their previous design, changed the icon, and informed their own players that change was made.

Then MMORPG.com forums blew it out of all proportion.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I think it is fine they made this change, I think it is a bad idea to make a big deal out of it because when a big deal is made about stuff like this we end up going in a drastic direction of catering to everyone and everything until there is nothing left.
    Kyleran

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    remnar said:
    I think it's a waste of time and resources to address such a silly phobia that occurs to a very small % of people. It's already been said, that why don't they just take out the snakes, spiders and w/e else that is a trigger. I'd understand it if it was a significant issue; which most of us believe it isn't.
    The devs are practical people and they fix stuff that can be easily and quickly fixed: Designing your monsters so that they won't trigger phobias but still feel good design to normal players without phobias would require huge effort. Whereas re-designing a single icon is just a matter of hours, and for normal players without phobias the result will feel just as good as the old one was.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Alice and wonderland, down the rabbit hole

We are there............
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited July 2021
    Funny that an article about a little known phobia (news to me) and a developer's easy fix to avoid it in their game is triggering so many to prominently display their nervousness and disdain for the oh so scary, "other."

Now that's a pretty weird phobia distinguished from other anxiety disorders in that those suffering from it are so damn proud to display it publicly on the internet as often as possible.
    [Deleted User]klash2defSovrath
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AreteoAreteo Member UncommonPosts: 55

Tiller said:

Viper482 said:

Tiller said:

Viper482 said:

Xatsh said:

There is a phobia for almost everything.... seems sorta pointless. How about fear of spiders, snakes, deep water and heights. Or the dreaded fear of the color green, Prasinophobia.

I exect them to immediately address those as well....

But in all seriousness this is a waste of dev. Time.

You mentioned a bunch of actual phobias. I don't know if you are trying to make this some kind of "own" to the devs or something? Humans are randomly generated, in a sense. Of course people are going to be scared of random things. Why not categorize them just like we do with everything else in the world? Just seems kinda simple.

His point is no one cares that 3% of the population suffers from arachnophobia, yet every game has spiders in it. Yet this rare thing we now care about.

When I was in high school there was this girl that literally couldn't even look at a printed picture of a snake without panicking. Your avatar would probably have sent her over the edge lol. Back then we all thought it was weird and probably BS so my friends got a kick out of showing her pictures of snakes. One day a buddy of mine got the idea to put a snake picture in her personal drawer in art class. She literally had a meltdown and had to be helped to the nurses office. After that none of us laughed about it.

Phobias are real and difficult for the ones facing them. Even though you might not have those same fears; don't understand or think it's funny, it's OK to have compassion for those who do suffer from them.

Dude......do you have fear of reading comprehension? What about the SNAKES IN THE GAME?!?!? COULD SHE PLAY IT!?! My point is why are they doing shit for some super rare phobia yet they still have spiders and shit in the game. Why is this so hard to understand? Why is this such a irrational question to ask?? I feel like a Vulcan some days you people are so illogical.

My point.....if you are not doing it for the millions of people who have fear of snakes and spiders, why are you doing it for this rare shit? Makes no sense to me.

I don't know, easy fix? Maybe it triggered someone on the development team, not sure, doesn't mater now and not really worth discussing further or being pissed off about it lol.

How about not trying to gatekeep what other people are interested in discussin?
    goozmania said:
    I would bet there are a significantly larger number of people with a deep fear of inevitably losing their freedoms, due to ridiculous crap like this.

That's paranoia.
    finefluff
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited July 2021
    Sovrath said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

Sovrath said:

mgilbrtsn said:

It was an easy fix ...

I agree, it's the larger trend that bothers me more than this specific symptom.

I agree that the world is more precious now but I try to just take it all one at a time.

In some cases, we could stand to be a bit more precious. Then, sometimes it all feels a bit too careful.

When have you ever seen a company or government in the last five years do anything to make their citizens have a positive attitude, ready to handle anything, teach them the skies the limit? Oh hang on they do, when they are kids; after that the media teaches us to be afraid, fearful of our own shadows, talk about the biggest mixed message ever. Be careful what you do, what you say! Companies just follow this line, a society created by fear, George Orwell was a visionary but would be astonished at how this is being achieved. This is not a boot on the face it is about being polite, respectful, sharing and caring.

No we do not have a Big Brother society, far from it, but the conformity of behaviour expected from us all is becoming totalitarian. The word conspiracy has been used, not by yourself, this is not conspiracy you don't need that when the settled view of the media narrative does the job better then any conspiracy ever could.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    goozmania said:
    I would bet there are a significantly larger number of people with a deep fear of inevitably losing their freedoms, due to ridiculous crap like this.
    Talk about a slippery slope... so because some game developers made a slight change to their game, people are going to lose their freedoms? 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Scot said:

When have you ever seen a company or government in the last five years do anything to make their citizens have a positive attitude, ready to handle anything, teach them the skies the limit? Oh hang on they do, when they are kids; after that the media teaches us to be afraid, fearful of our own shadows, talk about the biggest mixed message ever. Be careful what you do, what you say! Companies just follow this line, a society created by fear, George Orwell was a visionary but would be astonished at how this is being achieved. This is not a boot on the face it is about being polite, respectful, sharing and caring.

Well, to that point, the CEO of my company realized that most of the employees who started with the company and who were given stock made quite a bit of money whereas anyone later would have missed out. So the company created a way where we will be given a large amount of stock in the near future so that we can share in the company's future success.

Also, the company puts 4 percent of your salary in a 401k regardless of whether you put in a dime and take advantage of the matching.

Point is, there are all sorts of triumphant pockets of "good" all throughout the world. Unfortunately, there are people who can only see to the end of their own noses.

And with Governments, you have good people coupled with bad people coupled with the desire to help their countries fighting against the needs of different groups with different values.

It's a world of people and people are highly imperfect.

As for the topic, it took seconds to do (unless one wants to count the internal discussion which took longer) and it helped a few people as MikeB stated.

If one could do very little but help out a few people and make their lives a little easier then why not.

Though some people want every little thing such as this to be a moment to express their own disgust because that's who they are.

klash2def[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    I am going to step in and comment as someone living with phobia. A company being able to make a change easily like this to ease things for players is not only a nice thing to do, but it is good marketing. Especially with the new expansion looming.

I suffer from agoraphobia, it is a fear of being away from safe spaces.... often people associate it as only outside. This means that even doing basic things like grocery shopping can be an incredibly stressful event. Companies that have brought about amazing delivery services like Cornershop, Amazon, and others have pretty much become standard in my home as they allow me to live my life without feeling like I am having a heart attack....

Do not begrudge a company because they are able to make a change for one phobia and not others. If it was easy for them to change things on a larger scale I am sure they would. Oh and btw, snakes and spiders on a screen are not always triggering to Arachnophobes etc. I have a friend that has problem with spiders IRL, but in game they just make her uncomfortable.
    finefluffTiller

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    edited July 2021
    I knew someone with a mild case. It was interesting. He would feel uncomfortable looking at a honeycomb or wasp nest. They say around 16% of people may experience trypophobia (https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/09/who-s-afraid-of-a-cluster-of-holes-16-percent-of-people/279524/).

One possible explanation is that the clusters of holes are subconsciously associated with features shared by dangerous organisms (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797613484937), such as the spotted pattern on the poison dart frog (https://fws.gov/international/articles/project-aims-to-stop-the-trafficking-of-dart-frogs-in-colombia.html).

Trypophobia is not well understood, and the phenomenon may be rooted in disgust rather than fear (https://www.sciencealert.com/trypophobia-not-phobia-based-on-fear-disgust-response). It has not yet been classified as a "true phobia" because it does not cause enough fear and worry to interfere with everyday routine (https://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/trypophobia-overview).
    [Deleted User]
    goozmania said:

That's paranoia.

Additionally, I'm sure those topics are discussed on platforms more appropriate for them over a video game website but "the angry people" never miss an opportunity to let us know how angry they are.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

I'm afraid of knockoff Chinese headphones and bootleg Windows keys.

We gonna do something about it?
    Phobias are not a fear the way someone without one would think of it. You know you shouldn't be afraid. but it is more primal.... Your brain send the signals for fight or flight and it causes panic, fear, elevated stresses on the body. Sub conscious psychology is difficult to deal with, especially when it is something debilitating. Do you think someone with a fear of cotton balls really consciously believes it will hurt them?
    [Deleted User]

Scot said:
    This is not a boot on the face it is about being polite, respectful, sharing and caring.

Ostensibly, at any rate.

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I'm afraid of knockoff Chinese headphones and bootleg Windows keys.

We gonna do something about it?
    Phobias are not a fear the way someone without one would think of it. You know you shouldn't be afraid. but it is more primal.... Your brain send the signals for fight or flight and it causes panic, fear, elevated stresses on the body. Sub conscious psychology is difficult to deal with, especially when it is something debilitating. Do you think someone with a fear of cotton balls really consciously believes it will hurt them?
    I also have an uncontrollable fear of sanctimony from people who can't just take a joke.

Please fix!
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    goozmania said:

That's paranoia.

My fear is another toilet paper shortage. It's my right to buy as much toilet paper as I need when I want. I think it's really just George Soros controlling all the world supply of toilet paper to fund China's construction of space lasers to shoot micro chips into vaxed people while simultaneously shooting 5g microwaves at unvaxed people causing trypophobia. xD

(lol don't hate just a joke.)

SovrathIselin
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Kyleran said:
    I am going to step in and comment as someone living with phobia. A company being able to make a change easily like this to ease things for players is not only a nice thing to do, but it is good marketing. Especially with the new expansion looming.

I suffer from agoraphobia, it is a fear of being away from safe spaces.... often people associate it as only outside. This means that even doing basic things like grocery shopping can be an incredibly stressful event. Companies that have brought about amazing delivery services like Cornershop, Amazon, and others have pretty much become standard in my home as they allow me to live my life without feeling like I am having a heart attack....

Do not begrudge a company because they are able to make a change for one phobia and not others. If it was easy for them to change things on a larger scale I am sure they would. Oh and btw, snakes and spiders on a screen are not always triggering to Arachnophobes etc. I have a friend that has problem with spiders IRL, but in game they just make her uncomfortable.
    I have a neighbor who suffers from agoraphobia who is rarely seen outside her home.

Her sister has "assisted" her for many years by doing all of the shopping, and regularly making meals.

Or is her sister really enabling her to not try to deal with and perhaps overcome her phobia?

Same with your mention of these new delivery services, they certainly make your life less stressful, but aren't they also allowing you to continue your life of self imposed imprisonment.

I guess it's your call to make, but if it were me I'd want to tackle it head on, regularly fighting to break the conditions hold on me rather than surrender to the limitations.

I'm often told by Drs I'm too old to be running, that shit started in my 40s, yet as I near 64 I'm out there 5 days a week doing my 5K with 15 to 20 mile bike rides on Sat/Sun. (In 80 to 90 degree heat)

This coming from the "fat kid" in school who dreaded track and field, especially since I couldn't even manage the 880 without collapsing in exhaustion.

My advice, don't succumb to your limitations and always strive to overcome them, even if you've failed previously.

Coming up in the next installment, my struggle a few years back with a severe anxiety disorder.

Yeah, I beat that back too.

Cheers and God Bless.

Thank you Kyleran, I do agree with your statements to a point... it isn't exactly enabling as it is not something we choose. I do go out, and I deal with the stress (Especially cause the people who shop for you never seem to be able to find what you are actually looking for). In fact I have gotten way better than I was a few years ago. Yes we need to try but on really bad days (I suffer from physical disabilities as well) I use services to make life a tad easier. 

Agoraphobia isn't just about staying home, having panic attacks because of crowds, or in new places... this is also a form of agoraphobia
    [Deleted User]

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I wonder who experienced more emotional distress: people with trypophobia who saw the old icon or some of the commenters in this thread lmao
    [Deleted User]
    Scot said:

Following the logical conclusion of what you have said, we should not have any spider icons and so on, it never ends.

That isn't the logical conclusion of what I said.

I don't think any creator should change a thing if they want that thing included in their work.

If it's a "no biggie" then sure change it.

If they aren't wedded to spider icons, they don't really care, it was just one of many decisions, then sure, if they'd like to change it then they can change it.

If it's a part of the work, it makes sense to have it then they keep it and people with a fear of spiders who can't deal will just have to find another game.

I've written pieces, where a singer was having issues with getting to a certain note or a clarinetist, was having a problem with a phrase.

Since I could see alternate ways of writing the music and since those bits weren't set in stone, I changed it and for the better of the performance. If it was something I knew someone could do but they couldn't have done it AND it was necessary I wouldn't have changed it.

[Deleted User]