Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 14 Thousand Applicants Apply for Land Ownership in Ember Sword | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited July 2021
    That isn't a game, it's just a flat world with some assets.

It's probably gonna fail because the buyers who bought up all the land are gonna find out that only cryto nuts bought into the craze and there are few actual gamers who will buy once the resale starts because there is no real game there.

So in the end only a few folks will make money selling, the rest will lose money once they begin liquidation at a loss just to make some their investment back.

The postmortem will be fun Interesting I guess. Why Blockchain games failed miserably, starting with Ember Sword.
    Gdemamibcbully
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,179
    Something I also wonder, is, these are just pledges. They aren't preorders. Technically you don't need to put down any money ahead of time, and they don't charge your account when you pledge. IF you get chosen, then they give you a deadline when you're supposed to pay by. 

But if you don't pay, it rolls down the line to a different person. So the more I think about it, the more I think there might be a small number of really motivated players who pledge the 80K. 

They probably DO want to buy that 80K plot, but since there are so few of them to go around, it's more like a lottery chance, and they're just "pledging" tickets. If they get picked, sure they'll pay I don't doubt it, but once that 80K is gone, it's gone. 

Then again, how many of those 80K pledges do they actually need? Without counting any smaller pledges, we're looking at around maybe 1000. That's a lot of alt accounts for a handful of people to make. I don't know how accurate that would be.
    bcbully

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Bernie Madoff would be proud.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    If you want to compare this to Star Citizen, I'd like to point out a couple of key differences.

1)  Star Citizen has actually raised hundreds of millions of dollars.  $79 million in "pledges" is not at all similar to $79 million in cash on hand.

2)  Star Citizen has demonstrably spent really a lot of money on actual game development.  Whether or not that will translate into a game that is actually good is a matter of considerable dispute.  Ember Sword has a sparse web site that mentions exactly four people as being affiliated with the game, one of whom is a streamer who is only there for publicity.  I'm not sure what they've spent on actual game development so far, but the answer is likely to be "not much".
    ScotGdemami
    Quizzical said:
    If you want to compare this to Star Citizen, I'd like to point out a couple of key differences.

1)  Star Citizen has actually raised hundreds of millions of dollars.  $79 million in "pledges" is not at all similar to $79 million in cash on hand.

2)  Star Citizen has demonstrably spent really a lot of money on actual game development.  Whether or not that will translate into a game that is actually good is a matter of considerable dispute.  Ember Sword has a sparse web site that mentions exactly four people as being affiliated with the game, one of whom is a streamer who is only there for publicity.  I'm not sure what they've spent on actual game development so far, but the answer is likely to be "not much".
     I wouldn't compare the two. Ember Sword has received millions in investment dollars outside of "crowdfunding". They have about 30 or so employees, which is bigger than some other blockchain games in development. 

Ember sword has also been in development for maybe 2 years? Hard to say what state ember sword is in, but they seem to want to bring testers in within the next 4 to 5 months, with at least a partial launch next year. Star Citizen.... seems like it will forever be in development.
    bcbully

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Quizzical said:

I wouldn't compare the two. Ember Sword has received millions in investment dollars outside of "crowdfunding". They have about 30 or so employees, which is bigger than some other blockchain games in development. 

Ember sword has also been in development for maybe 2 years? Hard to say what state ember sword is in, but they seem to want to bring testers in within the next 4 to 5 months, with at least a partial launch next year. Star Citizen.... seems like it will forever be in development.
    The "alpha" that they hope to invite people into in several months is only a technical alpha to test the game engine.  They're hoping to add the first of the game's content sometime next year.

I'm not criticizing their decision to make their own game engine.  Sometimes you have to do that if the off the shelf engines can't do what you need.  But I am saying, don't expect to see much of a game if that's all that they've got.
    bcbully
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:

The "alpha" that they hope to invite people into in several months is only a technical alpha to test the game engine.  They're hoping to add the first of the game's content sometime next year.

I'm not criticizing their decision to make their own game engine.  Sometimes you have to do that if the off the shelf engines can't do what you need.  But I am saying, don't expect to see much of a game if that's all that they've got.
    We'll have to wait and see, but judging from what I've seen so far I sincerely doubt that a lot of people will get in for alpha testing. I doubt we'll even see coverage of it here if it's for land owners only. 
    bcbully