Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 first, or Planescape Torment first?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
edited July 2021 in General Gaming
I'm a big fan of Isometric RPGs (Pillars, Divinity, Tyranny, etc), although have never played any of the Baldurs Gate games. Now that they have Enhanced editions, I was considering grabbing both 1 and 2 to play through. I also want to play Planescape Torment (Enhanced edition) as well.

Which would you suggest playing first out of the Baldurs Gate games and Planescape Torment? I know they're not related in any way, but just thought as a new player to them all that I should prioritise one over the other to start off with.

Also, would you suggest playing Baldurs Gate 1 before 2, or just jump straight to 2? I know that BG2 supposedly has a load of QoL improvements, but should I just play BG1 anyway to know the lore etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• OpinicusOpinicus Member UncommonPosts: 34
    There are links between Baldur's gate 1 and 2 so it's better to start with the first one.

For me, the best of the three games is Baldur's gate 2. Planescape Torment was not as good as the other 2. It's also a shorter game. Here are my completion times on steam : 

Planescape torment : 35 hours
    Baldur's gate 1 : 63 hours
    Baldur's gate 2 : 95 hours

I recommend Baldur's gate 1 and 2 100%

p.s. there's also icewind dale enhanced (also better than planescape torment imo)
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2021
    Planescape Torment is more focused on story, whereas Baldur's Gate has (relatively) more combat. Imho make your pick between them based on whether you're looking for story or combat.

EDIT: You can play BG2 without having ever played BG1. If you're planning to play both of them, then I'd recommend playing BG1 first, but if you're uncertain whether to play both of them or not then just jump straight to BG2 since it's better out of those two.
    [Deleted User]Po_ggGorweIselin

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited July 2021
    +1 to Vrika and Torval, the two series are quite different.

Surely not that much different :)
    FuryV said:
    ... I know they're not related in any way,
    Both of them are AD&D, both are from Interplay (but different studios, Bioware and Black Isle), and both are on the Infinity engine (though for Planescape the Black Isle team did some reworks and changes).

There are differences though, which can help to decide, like the setting, BG is more "traditional" D&D (with elves, dwarves, swords and sandals, etc.) while Planescape is a less known and "familiar" setting within AD&D (and has none of those usual fantasy tropes).
    Presentation is different too, even with the same engine Planescape was more refined both in looks and in soundtrack - though if you're on the EE versions, that won't matter. *

But the main difference is what the others said above. BG is your traditional RPG, while PT is story-heavy. Like, really story-heavy. Which is awesome for a story player like me, and for many other players with this mindset, but it's clearly not for everyone.

No surprise PT is a cult classic, but not a commercial success. (as if "commercial success" had anything to do with quality, right? :) )

Point is, for almost everyone BG (and BG2) is most likely the better pick, since it's a good game and after Pillars, Divinity, etc. you'll feel right at home.

Planescape is the better game (for me), but if you like/prefer combat, or if you don't like to read a lot (literally a LOT), it will feel weird and/or even boring to you.

*A sidenote for that, I'm in the traditionals camp and quite vocal against the EE (had a debate on that once, maybe with Torval even?), but Planescape's EE is maybe the most "tolerable".
    Avellone was asked to work on it with Beamdog, and he was guarded it nicely, so unlike the other Beamdog EE's, Planescape EE is mostly just a graphical facelift and some bugfixes. Which is a good score in my book.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Baldur's Gates should be played in order ; Planescape Torment has NO connection with them. Also, PS:T is sometimes called "the greatest book you will ever play" ; for a good reason.

I suggest doing BGs then moving onto PST.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    The choice is quite simple really, in the games you have played have you had enough of Elves yet? If they are starting to get you down pick PT, if not BG 1&2 first. :)
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Much appreciated, thanks all.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited July 2021
    Scot said:
    The choice is quite simple really, in the games you have played have you had enough of Elves yet? If they are starting to get you down pick PT, if not BG 1&2 first. :)

Funny thing. Once I found out about Shadowrun and how it puts...Elves, Dwarves, Orcs etc in Cyberpunk setting...damn, that was a discovery and a half!

Guess I can't get enough of Traditional Fantasy, huh? But then again, I love these eclectic mixtures of x + Fantasy. My favorite is History + Fantasy, kinda like Nioh or Warhammer Fantasy.
    Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited July 2021
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:

Funny thing. Once I found out about Shadowrun and how it puts...Elves, Dwarves, Orcs etc in Cyberpunk setting...damn, that was a discovery and a half!

Guess I can't get enough of Traditional Fantasy, huh? But then again, I love these eclectic mixtures of x + Fantasy. My favorite is History + Fantasy, kinda like Nioh or Warhammer Fantasy.
    Shadowrun goes too far for me, it is like the designers sat around a table and said "Ok lets just chuck everything in!" Magic, high technology, cyberpunk, sprits, shamans, 90's Hong Kong action movie stuff, anything and everything. But I liked the rules system and enjoyed playing it both table top and the videogames. I just would not run it, to run a game you really have too love the background.