Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Testing my claims?

AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
NW seems to me to be basically another Themepark. 
But it's Combat System seem different enough, and good enough, to be a real bonus for them.
Also, the world seems like a pretty good idea. Something different, even though the basic premise (a new land to conquer) has been done before. 
It's also a AAA game, so there shouldn't be any obvious lack of content, at least after they get going if nothing else. 

So this will be a good test of my claims that most gamers are getting tired of the same ol' same ol' Themepark style game play. 

My expectations are that they will do very well at first. It's different enough. 
I expect that they will start losing growth rate, and start to stagnate (growth wise), in about a year. 
Unless, of course, something goes badly with problems in the code, or even their design plans. Unknown or unexpected to gamers. 

But I have some questions that could change all of that. 
How is this game different, other than what I've listed above? 

Once upon a time....

IselinSandmanjwGdemami

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Almost every game get biggest number at release and stagnant or decline after.  Only a few manage to growth.  

That is kind of expected.

[Deleted User]KyleranGdemamiGormogon
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    My prediction, assuming it launches on time...I give it until November/December.

Nobody likes a bricked graphics card, NW will get blamed.

People will run out of main quests.

FvFvF PvP will be dominated by one faction (Purple Map, every server).

People will lose interest because that's the state of the new gamer generation.

You're stuck playing one of two meta builds (if you chase meta and compete endgame).

Lumberyard engine issues (desync, etc).

John Smedley ability to screw up a game will be underestimated. 

There will be enough Amazon fanbois playing to keep the lights on, but that's it.

Cash Shop...it's coming boys, P2W is coming.
    YashaXGdemamiAethaeryn
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited July 2021
    Mars_OMG said:
    sorry but you are full of doodie.

The number one reason comments like the above are created, is because the user play's a game like a themepark and have never grasped the concept of creating ones own journey through a game world.
    Create one's own journey through a Themepark? You have to be kidding. 
    Or do you mean the journey you can create in a Sandbox? 
    I am a Sandbox gamer, if you didn't know. Very strongly. I've touted the benefits of Sandbox over and over again. Including a number of recent posts. 
    KyleranGdemamiVermillion_Raventhal

Once upon a time....

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    I expect the game to start losing PVE'ers pretty quickly.  It will cannibalize the PVP MMO's to have decent numbers, but the PVE crowd wont be able to play this game long.
    Mendel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2021
    Mars_OMG said:
    You can tell he likes the game.  :D
    Yeah, but aren't most of us a bit full of "it" when it comes to expressing our opinions or preferences?

Well, except for you and me of course.

;)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]RemyVorenderAsheram

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I never got the impression this was meant to be a AAA sandbox, they did change direction but I thought that was just about PvP? So yes from what people are saying it is a themepark, but lets get over that and move on.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

So this will be a good test of my claims that most gamers are getting tired of the same ol' same ol' Themepark style game play. 

FF XIV players. with server queues these many years later, would like t have a word with you about the meaning of "most."
    Theocritus[Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaXRoin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

NorseGod said:

John Smedley ability to screw up a game will be underestimated. 

If you want people to believe you know what you're talking about when making predictions about a game you know nothing about, you should at least do enough basic research (A.K.A. "googling") to know that Smedley has nothing to do with New World.

That's just basic posing 101.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]KyleranYashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

tzervo said:
    Iselin said:
    That's just basic posing 101.
    Trying to understand if that was a typo or not. Both kinda fit. :D
    Not a typo :)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Everyone likes different things and for this game it's no different. It's more of sandbox than a themepark and you need to keep yourself busy doing stuff and setting your own goals. If you were raised on WoW you might not like it because there is no hand holding beyond the first few minutes of the game and no forced direction. If you played SWG or UO or you just want more freedom to play how you want, you might like it. If you need to always be nagged about what to do next you might hate it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Scot said:
    I never got the impression this was meant to be a AAA sandbox, they did change direction but I thought that was just about PvP? So yes from what people are saying it is a themepark, but lets get over that and move on.

It's not a sandbox, and it's not a linear theme park either. It's like ESO, what some use to call "sandpark".
    So then, content is scaled? 

Once upon a time....

edited July 2021
    Iselin said:

FF XIV players. with server queues these many years later, would like t have a word with you about the meaning of "most."
    I'd ask them if they are playing it because it's what they want, or if it's just their best option in a world full of nothing but Themepark games. 
    Or, I guess, "SandPark." 

Once upon a time....

Mars_OMG said:
    Hang on. I was just going to reply to a post of yours despite having other things to do. 
    The world does not revolve around you, you know. 

But now, I think I'll go do something else. Hehe
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

Once upon a time....

Mars_OMG said:
    Mars_OMG said:

The number one reason comments like the above are created, is because the user play's a game like a themepark and have never grasped the concept of creating ones own journey through a game world.
    I am a Sandbox gamer, if you didn't know. Very strongly. I've touted the benefits of Sandbox over and over again. Including a number of recent posts. 
    what fantasy game do you play that's a sandbox ?
    I haven't played an MMORPG in 9 years. The only one that I would consider a proper Sandbox was UO. But after 13 years in that game, and lacking serious continued development, and old friends, it just got "old." 
    YashaX

Once upon a time....

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Brainy said:
    I expect the game to start losing PVE'ers pretty quickly.  It will cannibalize the PVP MMO's to have decent numbers, but the PVE crowd wont be able to play this game long.
    I dunno.   I love PvP but honestly I haven't done any at all.  After really hitting Crowfall hard I guess I'm just taking a bit of a break.   I have focused on the PvE part.  trying out all the crafting and harvesting.  Now, it's only been 3 days... but so far what I have seen PvE wise I have liked.

Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I watched ONE streamer but saw all i need to see to winess agame that is imo worse than i thought it would be.

Al lthis streamer  was doing was ignoring the zombie like creatures and just running around all over the map looking for one particular spawn to complete some quest.Whiel running around he witnessed others standing right on th e spawn points waiting for a respawn...sigh.
    It looked to be incredibly boring to watch.So then he makes a statement that just made me wanna reach in and slap him,he said "there are too many players,they need to instance these quests"...sigh.
    WTF is the purpose of an online MMO if your just going to instance everything,what is this copy dumbass Blizzard day?
    So then what does this streamer do next after completing that quest?He does some auto travel thingy and clicks anotehr NPC with a marker over it's head and gets anotehr boring ass quest.

This is exactly what i have been saying,the rpg genre is DEAD,boring same old crap no effort at all.So all this is doing is a reskin of every other crap rpg out there.The combat also was soloing and looked VERY easy,so might as well just go play Wow if you want boring shallow gameplay like that.
    So players are goign to dredge through this boring crap just to pvp,they could have saved the wasted time and just go play a BR to pvp in.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can only GUESS that people just just like that early game feeling of seeing lots of other players "then ask for instances"LMAO,
    It also seems like most of these gamers do not like any kind of actual RPG>>role play gaming,they just want hand holding and markers and be told what to do,connect some dots then call it a day until they get bored and do it again with the next marketed game.

This hit #2 on Twitch which is pretty amazing but i bet it drops to the second tier within 2 weeks.It;s only staying power is all th eFAKE streamers will keep streaming and playing this as long as it remains popular because it means the most money for them.First chance these streamers see to jump ship they will,you can count on it because imo the PVP will get old real fast.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

tzervo said:
    Mars_OMG said:
     I played every major "3D" release but wow swg. Shadowbane sandbox, eve online sandbox, Dark and Light sandbox, and I think that is every sandbox game that lived in the genre. Unless other can list some more?
    Albion, Foxhole, A Tale in the Desert, One Hour One Life, Elite Dangerous. I am sure there's others too.
    One of these days I'm going to dig deeper into those games for how much of a Sandbox, as well as complete RPG, they each are. 
    I have a feeling that would rip a huge hole in your argument. 
    I don't blame you for that, though. You seem to be a "gamer" who just accepts things as games and don't care about the same things I do. I could be wrong. 

Once upon a time....

Mars_OMG said:
    Mars_OMG said:
    Mars_OMG said:

what fantasy game do you play that's a sandbox ?
    I haven't played an MMORPG in 9 years. The only one that I would consider a proper Sandbox was UO. But after 13 years in that game, and lacking serious continued development, and old friends, it just got "old." 
    so you are basing an opinion on your experience from a game made 2 decades ago ?  think it's time for an upgrade :) .  I played every major "3D" release but wow swg. Shadowbane sandbox, eve online sandbox, Dark and Light sandbox, and I think that is every sandbox game that lived in the genre. Unless other can list some more?

Archeage
    Black Desert / semi sandbox
    No, I have played other game like WoW, DAoC, SWG, Ashen Empires, beta tested a few, etc. 
    I get most of my information about other games from reading articles and poster comments. I don't judge that stuff quickly, though. There are too many inconsistencies and agendas, and I let that sort itself out over time and revelations of their real designs, good and bad. 
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Wizardry said:

WTF is the purpose of an online MMO if your just going to instance everything,what is this copy dumbass Blizzard day?
    So then what does this streamer do next after completing that quest?He does some auto travel thingy and clicks anotehr NPC with a marker over it's head and gets anotehr boring ass quest.

This is exactly what i have been saying,the rpg genre is DEAD,boring same old crap no effort at all.

Did you ever think (and I know you haven't) that it's also the players?

You said it yourself, you watched him and his reaction was "they need to instance this ..."

There are players out there who want the whole instanced "whatever" as that is either what they know or what they want.

To that point, I remember seeing a streamer playing Bless Online where he entered a dungeon and saw other players and his reaction was "wow, there are other players in the same dungeon as I am. Weird."

Developers are going to give the players what they want or expect. When you get something along the lines of players having to compete in the open world and they want it instanced then what are developers to think?

Well, they should think that they should stick to their target audience. But because of the money these thing need they try to please everyone.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Wizardry said:
    I can only GUESS that people just just like that early game feeling of seeing lots of other players "then ask for instances"LMAO,
    It also seems like most of these gamers do not like any kind of actual RPG>>role play gaming,they just want hand holding and markers and be told what to do,connect some dots then call it a day until they get bored and do it again with the next marketed game.

This hit #2 on Twitch which is pretty amazing but i bet it drops to the second tier within 2 weeks.It;s only staying power is all th eFAKE streamers will keep streaming and playing this as long as it remains popular because it means the most money for them.First chance these streamers see to jump ship they will,you can count on it because imo the PVP will get old real fast.
    That's possible. That's what I'm trying to figure out. 
    I agree on your point about people and RP worlds vs. Instances, and that sort of thing. 
    These game designers don't seem to appreciate how to set up a world design that can reduce these problems. 
    But that's par for the course with these high Power Gap games, regardless. That's why Instances are required, as a fix, much like WoW "fixed" EQ's design. 

Once upon a time....

tzervo said:
    tzervo said:
    Mars_OMG said:
     I played every major "3D" release but wow swg. Shadowbane sandbox, eve online sandbox, Dark and Light sandbox, and I think that is every sandbox game that lived in the genre. Unless other can list some more?
    Albion, Foxhole, A Tale in the Desert, One Hour One Life, Elite Dangerous. I am sure there's others too.
    One of these days I'm going to dig deeper into those games for how much of a Sandbox, as well as complete RPG, they each are. 
    I have a feeling that would rip a huge hole in your argument. 
    I don't blame you for that, though. You seem to be a "gamer" who just accepts things as games and don't care about the same things I do. I could be wrong. 
    Feel free. I am looking forward to whatever definition of "sandbox", "RPG" and MMO you may have in mind.

I agree we don't care for the same things. I am a gamer but I also care about the virtual world aspect. I don't care about the RP aspect unless it is fed by the game mechanics and is not just make-believe (IE be a pirate in EVE, not role-play one)

"I don't blame you" comes off as condescending.

Well, for example, isn't A Tale In The Desert strictly an economic and building game? That's not a complete RPG, lacking combat and whatever else. 

If you care about the virtual world aspects, then why don't you care about the issues with Scaling? Where MOBs aren't the same throughout, as they are adjusted to you per your level. 

I agree about the RP being supported by game design. But I don't understand your point about pirates in Eve. That seems like a natural RP thing. 

I once saw a player RP a little sprite flitting about. They did a fine job of emoting their actions, and with some imagination it worked really well. But it still wasn't part of the game, and that rubbed me wrong like I'm sure it would you. 

UO didn't have Goblins at the time (they added them later), but I RPed a character I named Kwik the Goblin. But as I told others;
    "I'm not really a goblin, I'm just the world's ugliest Elf." 
    They didn't have Elves yet either (at the time), but Elves were a part of the Ultima Lore. So I felt I could get away with that one. Besides, that was by far my favorite character of all time (plus the best build I ever knew of, discovered by putting together skills that no one else thought of).
    I spoke almost entirely in rhyme, even in normal conversations. It was challenging, but it started to come easily after a while. That was fun stuff. 

""I don't blame you" comes off as condescending." 
    Sorry, just sayin'. 

[Deleted User]

Once upon a time....

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    The only real sandbox MMO that I've played is Ryzom.

No quests, no instances, no classes. No fixed skills. No fixed recipes. All armor and weapons are player made.

And a real virtual world with seasons, day/night cycle, and weather. And the carnivores hunt herds of herbivores, who migrate around based on the season.

ESO is not a sandbox at all. It's a pure themepark. Sure, you are free to roam around and look, and you can ride the rides in any order you want to. I suppose you could skip all the rides, and just explore, harvest, and craft, but you will craft the same things as everybody else.
    AmarantharBrainyMendelTheocritus

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    olepi said:
    The only real sandbox MMO that I've played is Ryzom.

No quests, no instances, no classes. No fixed skills. No fixed recipes. All armor and weapons are player made.

And a real virtual world with seasons, day/night cycle, and weather. And the carnivores hunt herds of herbivores, who migrate around based on the season.

ESO is not a sandbox at all. It's a pure themepark. Sure, you are free to roam around and look, and you can ride the rides in any order you want to. I suppose you could skip all the rides, and just explore, harvest, and craft, but you will craft the same things as everybody else.
    Yes, but there are people who would say that's NOT a sandbox because you can't build.

[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Brainy said:
    It seems to be more of a pve game than a pvp focused game, but if they manage to make the pvp meaningful then it might get some of the pvpers from other games to stay long term.
    [Deleted User]