Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any game similar to eve online?

krayziezkrayziez Member Posts: 9
I wonder if there's any games out there thats similar to eve online? Has to be MMO and in space. Doesn't necessarily have to be 1 server only. The reason is this game is just too slow for me. I love everything else about it but the game speed is not to my liking. Also, the UI is horrible. You pretty much have to use your mouse for everything. You can't even use keyboard to do basic things like D for Dock or M for mine or the likes. Everything is just click click click and wait wait wait. Don't get me wrong. I love this game, but I just feel it could of been better if they had the perfect programmer to do the UI correctly. Everything else the programmed very well.

Comments

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Although it does show it's age at this point, you could give FreeAllegiance a try.

http://www.freeallegiance.org/

I don't play it and have no opinion about it, but it may be useful to you.

so...

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Originally posted by apocalance
    Although it does show it's age at this point, you could give FreeAllegiance a try.http://www.freeallegiance.org/I don't play it and have no opinion about it, but it may be useful to you.

Yes, Allegiance is awesome for fast pasted first person dogfighting. Its a multiplayer game with rounds, not an MMO or persistent world of sorts. I need to get back on it now that they've finally learned how the code works and are adding improvements.

On the single player side of things, but still a game with an open universe, EVE style, try X2. If you can meet the graphical requirements, try X3. I haven't really played it much. The producers have a really cool idea going with the game, but unfortunately, the controls are awkward and its buggy. The graphics (especially on X3) are really nice, if ridiculously intensive. The website for the game is http://www.egosoft.com.

For the future, I would suggest following Infinity: The Quest for Earth. Its a new indy MMO that is up and coming, though it still has a few years of work left. It will offer a complete persistent galaxy and it already has amazing graphics. Though, the rest of the gameplay has not been developed yet.. at all. It looks very promising still.

//insert sig here
  • scars87scars87 Member Posts: 234
    Fast pase gameplay: http://www.spacecowboy.net/
    comes out may25...
    its FREE..
    watch thise video:

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by krayziez
    I wonder if there's any games out there thats similar to eve online? Has to be MMO and in space.

Nope, there is none.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• ssstupidossstupido Member Posts: 253

You can't even use keyboard to do basic things like D for Dock or M for mine or the likes.

in fact you can. mining is usually F1, F2, F3

reload all guns, crtl+R

autopilot, crtl+z

afterburner/mwd crtl+a

open cargohold, crtl+q (be careful, the standard action for that combination is quitting the game)

open market, crtl+m

etc, etc, etc

• daemonbarberdaemonbarber Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Not sure if it's still an active game, but Jumpgate is a space based MMO with decent space combat...  You got to fly around with a joystick and dogfights were fun (physics were rather good... load up a freighter and get it going and you'll have a hard time slowing down, etc...)

Very aged tho...

• krayziezkrayziez Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by ssstupido

You can't even use keyboard to do basic things like D for Dock or M for mine or the likes.

in fact you can. mining is usually F1, F2, F3

reload all guns, crtl+R

autopilot, crtl+z

afterburner/mwd crtl+a

open cargohold, crtl+q (be careful, the standard action for that combination is quitting the game)

open market, crtl+m

etc, etc, etc

Well OK you got those MAIN controls down. Those are only the ones I can think up at the top of my head since they are the main controls to begin with. It's just that most of the controls are hard to use -- 90%+ of the commands you have to use a mouse with menus and sub-menus and sub-sub-menus. I also wonder if they allow dual screen? If not, all those windows upon windows is annoying to keep moving around. If only they had more commands for us to configure, then it would be a little bit better. But still, the warping within 15k of any object is ANNOYING. You have to wait 10-20 seconds to get to that object. Now I realize when in combat or in war, it necessary to do this, but what if there's no hostiles there? Not being able to just warp within say 2k of a station or jumpgate just makes the game too slow for me. Not to mention it takes another 5-10 seconds to load to another star system or station. What they should of done was loaded up all possible neighboring star systems in the background so that when we do warp there, it will be instant. Or at least load it up in the background when we are near that jumpgate. Same with stations. Loading anything I think means that the designers weren't creative enough to find ways of preventing it. I was with a group having to jump through 15 sec 0s systems... took 1 hour! And that's considered everyday play! That did it for me...

Maybe I should of been more exact with what I wanted. I'm looking for a game exactly like Eve except it's not slow paced, easy controls, dual screen supported (for advanced thinking/gameplay but at the same time doesn't impeed in the main screen / gameplay)  and in-game ownership of moons/planets/star systems/etc. easily. I think ownership in a property is very valuable, but with eve, they make it a choir instead of it being fun. You have to have massive amounts of people and a crapload of resources to even build the thing. Not to mention maintaining it alone will drive anyone crazy. I guess I'm just looking for a game this big, but for the casual player. I can't spend 1 hour to get from one point to the next everyday and another 2 hours of mining just to maintain what starsystem the corp has (this is along with lots of other players' labor).

My ideal would be 10 mins/day to maintain say 3 or fewer planets/moons or small stations (alone), maybe 30 minutes/day for a whole starsystem. Of course owning more than 1 starsystem would mean you'd have to maintain it alot more than just having one since if too many ppl own too many properties then it would devalue ownership entirely. Also death shouldn't be that bad. Maybe spend 5 minutes to get back where you were. etc. etc. etc... I guess what I'm looking for is for EVE to hurry up and make another game that has all these. And by the way, I hope everyone starts over too. It sucks the fact that I can't do anything powerful because I have little skills, and would take years to be where everyone else is...but by then they'd also be more advanced than me, so I'm always going to be inferior skill wise which is everything in the game.

Anyways, I'll check out what you guys suggested.

Fortunatly or unfortunatly, that's where insta's come in (bookmarks that drop you ontop of gates, stations etc).  Requires prior planning, but it's much safer (nearly 100% in low sec, and only have to worry about bubbles in zero sec), and much quicker (30 jumps in maybe 45 min...).

The game is big... it has it's downsides but I personally feel that the travel times is a positive factor.  0.0 operations require significant logistic support to remain profitable, raiding neighboring territory requires a real effort...

As for your 15 sec lag between zones, it's a combination of your system, your isp (the servers are in london...), and the servers lag.  But just for reference, do you know how many MMO clusters are listed in the top500 list of supercomputers in the world... just EVE.  I've been playing for a year and a half and never had a problem with the loads (certainly not 15 seconds).

That's my point about bookmarks. These bookmarks are user-defined. Doesn't it seem odd that we users have to make the bookmarks ourselves? Why can't the game already have some device to set bookmarks more easily, than to have a user use a "trick" (go 15k over the jumpgate so bookmark can be set to 0k). Shouldn't we be able to just set a bookmark, and then be able to warp to that bookmark at 0k? Also with the "real effort" comment. Why would waiting and waiting be the only factor in it being a real effort to attack someone. Why can't it be something else other than waiting and having an overall slow-paced game? Why can't the factor be say heavy NPC defense set by the sovernty owner? That way in placement of the waiting, we at least have some action in fighting longer the NPC defense like those huge battery cannons with heavy shields. Bottom line, I'd rather have something to do most of the time rather than wait and wait and wait.

You also mentioned 15 seconds. I said 5-10 seconds of loading, which is 5-10 seconds too long anyway for me at least. Also with the death thing, if eve made is so death wasn't too much of a big deal, I realize that it wouldn't be a "real effort" then. But maybe replace that with having to fight more defensive structure longer. That way, the real effort would be to fight longer (more defense) rather than to wait longer (having to build new ship, travel from clone to death spot, buying new implants, etc).  bottomline: Action > Wait 

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE EVE. That's the reason why I'm wasting my time in analyzing and trying to suggest something better. If I didn't care for eve, I'd forget about it long ago. Just a few things they could of done to make the game PERFECT. It's near perfect so I'll wait :)

I agree with you in part about the instas.  I hate them, but I use them.  They are required right now, and they may never go away, but I don't have to like them.  The problem is, many users like the system as it is.  Pirates hate instas because it makes it harder to kill in 0.0.  They often want them removed, and nothing to replace them.  Others want the functionality of instas, without having all the prep work.  I personally hate spending hours copying bookmarks, but I know they are worth it...

I don't have a solution, and no one else out there has one either.  You have to leave a way for pirates to still be able to attack at gates, and you have to have a way to avoid the pirates if you work hard enough, right now - instas are that solution.

As for the combat - I agree 100%.  Combat is too fast, and 90% of the outcome is decided before you undock.  If you fit your ship correctly (for what you are fighting - there is no perfect setup), then you'll probably win the fight.  The devs have already said they want to slow down combat so there is time to make tactical decisions (sub system targeting being on of them).  Right now PvP combat is often over in less then 60 seconds, and PvE is rarely a challenge if you plan ahead.

I do not however agree with lowering the death penelty.  In my opinion, the death penelty is not that harsh at all.  Yes, if you die you are sent back to your clone station, and you have to pay a decent amount to replace your clone, but ships are insurable, and unless you're really hard up for cash, usually not devestating.  Even if you fail to replace your clone (it's happened to me on an Alt once), the penelty is not that severe.  You don't lose all but 32k skill points, only half of your highest skill level - at worst, you're probably looking at 2 weeks of training to recover, so while it does suck - you've only got yourself to blame.

My .02 isk.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

I wonder if there's any games out there thats similar to eve online? Has to be MMO and in space. Doesn't necessarily have to be 1 server only.

The reason is this game is just too slow for me. I love everything else about it but the game speed is not to my liking.

Also, the UI is horrible. You pretty much have to use your mouse for everything. You can't even use keyboard to do basic things like D for Dock or M for mine or the likes.

Everything is just click click click and wait wait wait.

Don't get me wrong. I love this game, but I just feel it could of been better if they had the perfect programmer to do the UI correctly. Everything else the programmed very well.

Odd, I've been playing EVE Online since December 2005 and I think the GUI is awesome.  There's a few games with decent GUI's:  I like the GUI for: Lineage II, City of Heroes, EVE Online, Dark Age of Camelot (I logged into this one of the weekend for hte first time and was impressed by some of the UI)

You can set up hotkeys for common tasks although your mouse and pointer, and clicker, will be the primary means to faciliate interaction with the EVE Online interface.  As a matter of fact, I've never seen any GUI that removed the pointer/mouse from the UI.

From your comment "click click etc & wait wait etc" I would have to base my view that you are likely more attuned to twitch graphics and instant gratification games. 

Other games which may apply to you could be: WoW or Lineage II.  If you haven't tried Lineage II you should.  It's a good game and currently resides upon my "most prefered" list of MMO's.  (currently playing DDO although not much longer. Poor GUI and terribly designed character/account ingame management tools with limited content and poor speed of development; Turbine did a poor job althogh this MMO although the Dungeons ROCK!!!)

• bkonbkon Member Posts: 17

But still, the warping within 15k of any object is ANNOYING. You have to wait 10-20 seconds to get to that object.

Keywords: insta bookmarks, shuttles, frigates, microwarp drive (MWD), afterburner (AB).
  • JhughesyJhughesy Member Posts: 419

That's my point about bookmarks. These bookmarks are user-defined. Doesn't it seem odd that we users have to make the bookmarks ourselves? Why can't the game already have some device to set bookmarks more easily, than to have a user use a "trick" (go 15k over the jumpgate so bookmark can be set to 0k). Shouldn't we be able to just set a bookmark, and then be able to warp to that bookmark at 0k?

Selling bookmarks is a market in itself for explorers and such. You can buy whole regions from reputable dealers from anything between 10m and 25m ISK.

Originally posted by Jhughesy

That's my point about bookmarks. These bookmarks are user-defined. Doesn't it seem odd that we users have to make the bookmarks ourselves? Why can't the game already have some device to set bookmarks more easily, than to have a user use a "trick" (go 15k over the jumpgate so bookmark can be set to 0k). Shouldn't we be able to just set a bookmark, and then be able to warp to that bookmark at 0k?

Selling bookmarks is a market in itself for explorers and such. You can buy whole regions from reputable dealers from anything between 10m and 25m ISK.

Or you can buy whole regions from disreputable dealers and end up at moons w/ POS's or find a few gates with really bad instas that just happen to be camped...

It's much safer to make your own instas, and not that hard.  Keep a few shuttles or interceptors around and you can make instas for any trip without trouble.  - Or just join a corp that's done it all for you!

Originally posted by daemonbarber

Or you can buy whole regions from disreputable dealers and end up at moons w/ POS's or find a few gates with really bad instas that just happen to be camped...

It's much safer to make your own instas, and not that hard.  Keep a few shuttles or interceptors around and you can make instas for any trip without trouble.  - Or just join a corp that's done it all for you!

Some regions have 1000+ instas ffs. Making them yourself is complete madness.

If you need a reputable dealer then contact me in-game.

Originally posted by daemonbarber

Some regions have 1000+ instas ffs. Making them yourself is complete madness.

If you need a reputable dealer then contact me in-game.

And 95% of the player base do not need instas for every gate in their region.  They need 2 or 3 pipes between regions (0.0 to empire), instas for the constelations the operate in, and pipes to trade hubs.  Why spend 15m on 1000 instas when you'll probably only 100 of them?

Because it takes less time and is less tedious to earn 15m than it does to make those 100 bm?

Because when you buy the bookmarks you get a whole region.? (You never know what your next goal will be.)

Because when you buy them from a rep dealer then they all work 100% and are fully tested?

Because it takes less time and is less tedious to earn 15m than it does to make those 100 bm?
    Because when you buy the bookmarks you get a whole region.? (You never know what your next goal will be.)
    Because when you buy them from a rep dealer then they all work 100% and are fully tested?

I'd rather make my own instas then waste 45m - 75m purchasing 3k+ instas when I only need a few hundred.

Even those 100 bms for an area aren't going to be made in a day, you make them as you need them.  The 60 seconds it takes to create a bm for a gate has never bothered me, but if you find it tedious I see why you would rather purchase them.

I've also never had a problem making instas, but honestly I think it's better to take a few tries and learn to do it right then just buy a set and never learn.

Sure, purchasing instas is easy, but it has it's risks and it's money you don't have to spend if you know what you're doing.