Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam Deck=Steam Handheld

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
edited July 2021 in Hardware
SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Hmm, it can play a game for 2 hours on batteries. That's not very long.

But it is a full 6-core AMD Ryzen chip running Linux, in a handheld.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited July 2021
    olepi said:
    Hmm, it can play a game for 2 hours on batteries. That's not very long.

But it is a full 6-core AMD Ryzen chip running Linux, in a handheld.
    2 hours is actually the minimum, its 2-8 hours of gameplay. You can expand the memory through a microSD card and it has a (sold seperately) dock so you can hook it up to your TV etc. It is basically a very powerful Nintendo Switch the 'Steam Edition.' I'll be getting one for sure, the 512GB edition which is "only" a whopping 679 euro's..... cough... cough...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited July 2021
    This looks pretty cool although I question it's pitch that you can just plug in a monitor, mouse and KB and use it as a PC... a PC that's meant to be played at 720P :)

As a handheld though, it sounds great with all your Steam games playable on the subway or wherever.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited July 2021
    You know what would be great? If Valve released a new game to coincide with the launch. Team Fortress 3 perhaps? ?

Wishful thinking I know… 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Honestly, doesn't look that comfortable. Also, the level of bezel is quite wide if I have to be honest.

Still, that is a powerful handheld system. I'm sure people who enjoy such devices are very interested in such thing. Only device I owned like these was the original PSP. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wouldn't use it at home.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Wonder how comfortable it really is to play with. Weighs 1 1/2 pounds be a (for real) pain to hold up for any length of time to play on it. More of a find a place to rest it on something I bet.

For comparison the switch is like .66 pounds.  

Have to see real peoples reviews after they own it for a while.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    64 GB is pointless.  You will be lucky to have 3 games on it.   Call of Duty is 200 GB now.   $650 for 512GB is also a joke.   I realize you can get SD cards, but just seems over overpriced and limited.   

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    jitter77 said:
    64 GB is pointless.  You will be lucky to have 3 games on it.   Call of Duty is 200 GB now.   $650 for 512GB is also a joke.   I realize you can get SD cards, but just seems over overpriced and limited.   
    Just because a handful of games are really bloated doesn't mean that all games are.  There are plenty of games under 1 GB.  From looking through the games I have installed through Steam, the largest of them is Kerbal Space Program, which is under 6 GB.
    Gdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Nyctelios said:
    Iselin said:
    This looks pretty cool although I question it's pitch that you can just plug in a monitor, mouse and KB and use it as a PC... a PC that's meant to be played at 720P :)

As a handheld though, it sounds great with all your Steam games playable on the subway or wherever.
    I'm waiting for my regional prices. And I don't mind playing things in 720 - and since you can just format it and install windows just like a PC, depending the price, I might buy this instead of upgrading my pc at all.

Playing my PC laying in bed is something I would enjoy
    I doubt you could upgrade your current PC with this. The CPU is good, but the GPU looks like it might be about equivalent to GTX 1050 non-TI version. It's likely enough for playing most games on 720p targeting 30 FPS, but it's unlikely to be better than whatever gaming computer you might have now.
    Gdemami

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2021
    Quizzical said:
    jitter77 said:
    Just because a handful of games are really bloated doesn't mean that all games are.  There are plenty of games under 1 GB.  From looking through the games I have installed through Steam, the largest of them is Kerbal Space Program, which is under 6 GB.
    It's still obvious that Valve is releasing a version with too little memory to most gamers so that their cheapest price would be cheap, and then charging ridiculous overprice for the extra memory versions.
    Quizzical

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
    jitter77 said:
    It's still obvious that Valve is releasing a version with too little memory to most gamers so that their cheapest price would be cheap, and then charging ridiculous overprice for the extra memory versions.
    Wouldn't that be somewhat ameliorated by the top end's better screen?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited July 2021
    Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
    jitter77 said:
    They have the same size memory, different drives with different storage capacity and speeds. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I've heard of a lot of other folks, coupled with it's supposed ability to run Windows and XBGP, are calling it the portable Xbox.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    It’s a portable pc. Nothing more nothing less. 
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    If you dock this can you pay at more than 720p?  With the specs i just don't see this being very mainstream popular.  I think the dock would have to have a GPU upgrade to reach at minimum 1080, but then your going to be paying xxx more dollars.   By that time you are going to be close to a gaming laptop price with probably better overall specs
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    jitter77 said:
    If you dock this can you pay at more than 720p?  With the specs i just don't see this being very mainstream popular.  I think the dock would have to have a GPU upgrade to reach at minimum 1080, but then your going to be paying xxx more dollars.   By that time you are going to be close to a gaming laptop price with probably better overall specs
    This isn't targeted at people who want to play recent AAA games at max settings.  It just isn't.  But it will still run a whole lot of older games or lower spec games well, or even plenty of recent AAA games with a good engine that lets you greatly lower the graphics settings.

What it is, however, is a lot more portable than a gaming laptop.  It will also run games on the battery for a lot longer than most gaming laptops.  And while the Nintendo Switch is a natural comparison, this is massively more powerful than a Switch.