Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall a Week in Review

UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
Ok, well it's been a week since Crowfall launched. The game is officially green lit, and live.

Ok, as a backer for a little over the last year before launch, here is some of my takeaways.

The minimum spec to run the game, is not enough.
I have just over the min req spec to play, and the game is choppy and lag ridden for me. Since others have told me they do not have an issue, I want to believe this purely a hardware problem on my end. But it makes no less annoying that it is happening.

I liked the Older Graphics Better.
The new graphics that look more smoothed out, to try and generate a more realistic look on what amounts to a massively cartoonish looking game simply does not work for me, I enjoyed the graphics they had in Beta that were more crisp and Claymation looking, they fit the rest of the design better. While not a deal breaker, it is a minor annoyance.

Not very informative:
Like the beta game, there is almost no info given here on how things work. Thankfully I have a very helpful and informed guild to fall back upon, but if I was just starting this game, it really leaves you in the dark on even basics like how to make a starting meal.

Harvesting being it's own Mini-Game.
Ok I like this one, but when they put the target marker off the body of the animal for skinning so there is no way I can hit it, very annoying. Also, when I am skinning one mob, and another mob spawns, I auto attack. I can see how that would handy in PvP, it's a little annoying in PvE.

Combat. Assisted Action Combat.
Overall, this is the best feature of the game, as it does not require you to be some twitch master to get head shots and what have you, and the way the combat works with retaliation, and combo's forming as you play is a nice touch, overall, the combat is, somewhat relaxing, and a really great hybrid between tab and action combat. I would say, overall, this is the best feature of the game. I sincerely hope this is the way forward for MMO combat.

Overall, Meh.
It's not a bad game by any metric, the game play is solid, the features are there, it is complex and involved, and has all the stuff that people say they want in an MMO PvP game, with levels, progress, gear, traits, and a slew of both big and miniscule customization.

But overall, as I played, It felt kinda "Meh"

I am sure for the right target this could be a great game, and scratch that perfect itch, but for me, right now,I don't feel gripped by the game.

I will admit, it could be because my hardware is not enough, and the lag and getting DC'ed has soured my feelings, I plan to get more Ram, and see what I can do about other upgrades, and see if that makes things better.
Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

[Deleted User]TheocritusKidRiskScotSlapshot1188Champiemcrippinskatzklaw

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Thanks for the review Ungood....It is nice to read a well thought out summary of the game other than 'It sucks" like we usually get ......
    UngoodChampiekatzklaw
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited July 2021
    I am not sure about this assisted combat idea, the old FPS gamer in shouts out against such ideas. I am not quite sure what it entails, but if anyone can automatically do headshots what's the point of having them?
    Ungood
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    edited July 2021
    I actually agree with much of what you posted.  Although I find the game to be better then "Meh" it's getting harder and harder to get my guildmates to login.   The company made a huge error in not having the Faction servers available.

As for the Harvesting,  I have gotten Mining, Logging and Quarrying to Purple.  It's a fucking huge ass grind.  It's not just the RNG to get discs to drop, its that you have to get a shit-ton of gold to buy Domination Dust to improve the Discs.   It's 12k for a Blue and you need 3 to make a Purple.  So it 12k x 4 = 48,000 gold for a purple (not including harvesting belts, potions, food, etc...)

Then for Crafting I have gotten Runecrafter and Alchemist to Purple.

On the plus side, I enjoy the harvesting and crafting so I do not mind the grind.  But the grind for Gold is fucking tough.  Especially when there aren't a ton of good camps to get it from and competition is fierce.

Now the game is designed to have a big guild feed crafters and harvesters.  Not complaining since this is what they have always described, but it's tough.  I think our Skinners, Weasponsmith, Armorcrafter, Leatherworker, Woodworker haven't gotten past Blue.  And We havent even started a Necro or Jeweler nor a Digger yet... and I don't think we realistically can.

-------------------

One other thing that bothers me is the way you can freely change instances/servers with no wait period.  I'd like to see a 24 hour lock when you enter a server to prevent server hopping.  Last night our Armorsmith got fed up and just found a spot with 8 Iron Nodes and mined them, then logged out, went to another server, mined them, etc...   Kind of cheese. I mean, who would think that logging into "Brazil" or "Australia" would be strategic ways to get harvesting nodes? But at least he was logged in.

---

Also,  I really think that system RAM, Video RAM and an SSD help in Crowfall more than most games.

katzklaw

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Scot said:
    I am not sure about this assisted combat idea, the old FPS gamer in shouts out against such ideas. I am not quite sure what it entails, but if anyone can automatically do headshots what's the point of having them?
    Ok this is a great point.

Crowfall is not a FPS, and it does not pretend to be one, it's combat works much like most MMO's on the market, where all attacks are broken down to Hit/Miss, so there is no such thing as a 'head shot' in Crowfall, there is also no such thing as missing because you were off by a pixel to the left. If you face it, you will hit it.

This is different than Tab targeting, because you cannot call a target, you cannot pick something out, what you are aiming at, you will attack, and while you don't need to be exact, you still need to be facing it, unlike tab targeting that could allow you to hit things that you were not facing, or FPS shooters where you could in face miss what you were facing.

For me, this allowed for a very relaxed gameplay, by and large, I would say this is the best feature of the games combat. I didn't need to think too much about if my mouse pointer was over the exact target, I didn't need to pick targets, or have expert control over the mouse, I faced it, I hit it, and they hit me in return.

It was like MMO combat, just smoother and better, because it also allowed me as the player to move away from attacks, to side strife, and just not be in their line of attack, so it was a really fun hybrid system of combat, that to me at least, really played well into being an older non-twitch gamer that enjoys PvP.
    [Deleted User]Scot
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Thanks for the review Ungood....It is nice to read a well thought out summary of the game other than 'It sucks" like we usually get ......
    I am going to be honest, I wish I had more and better things to say about the game, but overall the largest stumbling block for me was the lack of making the game informative. I didn't feel like how the systems worked was explained well, so at the start, I was put in a place where it was not clear how to improve direction that I may have wanted to go. I mean the obvious "Higher Number Better" of all MMO's for the gear I was putting on was self explanatory, but for me, it is a very complex game, with a lot going on, and no way to really know how to work it to my advantage.

Again, thankfully I am in a large guild, so I am following their instructions and guides which are very informative, but as I was playing Crowfall, I felt like I was just going through the motions as the game itself didn't make it clear how and why these systems worked together, so I was just blindly taking what the guide told me to take, with no understanding of why this was valuable to me.

In that venture, I will say Crowfall is not alone, as lot of games do not make it clear why things are valuable or how things work together, and this is not a game maker or breaker, as I think in some way, being obscure does attract people who like to meta and number crunch to figure those things out, and putting that challenge in there gives them a mini-game to play.

Since I am not in that demographic, It was not a sale point for me, but, again, that does not mean it is not a sale point for a whole other demographic.

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    I actually agree with much of what you posted.  Although I find the game to be better then "Meh" it's getting harder and harder to get my guildmates to login.   The company made a huge error in not having the Faction servers available.

As for the Harvesting,  I have gotten Mining, Logging and Quarrying to Purple.  It's a fucking huge ass grind.  It's not just the RNG to get discs to drop, its that you have to get a shit-ton of gold to buy Domination Dust to improve the Discs.   It's 12k for a Blue and you need 3 to make a Purple.  So it 12k x 4 = 48,000 gold for a purple (not including harvesting belts, potions, food, etc...)

Then for Crafting I have gotten Runecrafter and Alchemist to Purple.

On the plus side, I enjoy the harvesting and crafting so I do not mind the grind.  But the grind for Gold is fucking tough.  Especially when there aren't a ton of good camps to get it from and competition is fierce.

Now the game is designed to have a big guild feed crafters and harvesters.  Not complaining since this is what they have always described, but it's tough.  I think our Skinners, Weasponsmith, Armorcrafter, Leatherworker, Woodworker haven't gotten past Blue.  And We havent even started a Necro or Jeweler nor a Digger yet... and I don't think we realistically can.

-------------------

One other thing that bothers me is the way you can freely change instances/servers with no wait period.  I'd like to see a 24 hour lock when you enter a server to prevent server hopping.  Last night our Armorsmith got fed up and just found a spot with 8 Iron Nodes and mined them, then logged out, went to another server, mined them, etc...   Kind of cheese. I mean, who would think that logging into "Brazil" or "Australia" would be strategic ways to get harvesting nodes? But at least he was logged in.

---

Also,  I really think that system RAM, Video RAM and an SSD help in Crowfall more than most games.

I need a guild if ya got room, im logging in pretty much everynight.

I posted some QoL improvements on their official forums.  First chatbox needs to be improved because you cant custom filter anything in your chat window.  Second a minimap would be nice and a little dev communication on their official forums would be nice too.

Also I see a problem with the Mega guilds killing the game. 500 players on one guild when a server holds like 1800 will kill the longevity of the game, players will get bored when they are getting zerged just farming mats and quit.  Then the Mega guilds will slowly dwindle because there is no one left to kill.  Yes this is what they said it was going to be like all along but it doesnt mean the pvp is in a perfect state atm.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Ungood said:
    Scot said:
    Ok this is a great point.

Crowfall is not a FPS, and it does not pretend to be one, it's combat works much like most MMO's on the market, where all attacks are broken down to Hit/Miss, so there is no such thing as a 'head shot' in Crowfall, there is also no such thing as missing because you were off by a pixel to the left. If you face it, you will hit it.

This is different than Tab targeting, because you cannot call a target, you cannot pick something out, what you are aiming at, you will attack, and while you don't need to be exact, you still need to be facing it, unlike tab targeting that could allow you to hit things that you were not facing, or FPS shooters where you could in face miss what you were facing.

For me, this allowed for a very relaxed gameplay, by and large, I would say this is the best feature of the games combat. I didn't need to think too much about if my mouse pointer was over the exact target, I didn't need to pick targets, or have expert control over the mouse, I faced it, I hit it, and they hit me in return.

It was like MMO combat, just smoother and better, because it also allowed me as the player to move away from attacks, to side strife, and just not be in their line of attack, so it was a really fun hybrid system of combat, that to me at least, really played well into being an older non-twitch gamer that enjoys PvP.
    This is not what I thought you were saying, I played BDO, I see benefits from both types of system but have no preference either way. Being able to run away and loose and arrow can be fun but it does change the dynamic of combat and brings issues with it.
    Ungood