Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Egg offers to build your computer for you

2»

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited July 2021
    Kyleran said:
    .....snip....
    Funny story, sometimes price isn't everything, service and or availability can more equally if not more important.

In Florida the number one grocery store with about 60% of the market is Publix which is probably one of the highest priced stores outside of specialty grocers like Whole Foods.

They keep dominating year after year by providing superior service, keeping store shelves fully stocked day or night, having an army of checkout staff at any given moment (no self service checkout here), BOGO deals, super clean stores, friendly, helpful staff and best of shopping carts where the damn wheels never wobble and glide like a dream.

Not saying NewEgg is anything like this, perhaps they are no better or even worse than others, but it's possible they offer some thing which keeps people coming back despite having higher prices.

Funny story they are no better than any other place I can order from online in Canada.   I don't buy from shoddy places that give shitty service or wont refund items if there is an issue etc so after all that price is the deciding factor.
    ;)

That said I am not surprised some people have had issues getting refunds from newegg as their return policy is sucky and they like the hoops but then again any place you can get a shitty rep that doesn't know what they are doing.  Ideally in these cases you have to be well informed on how their particular process works so yo can explain to the rep why they are wrong if they want to refuse you for some etc etc.  It's important to be well informed, patient and polite.

Last PC I built last december right during the big scalper prices and  shortage I got parts from Mike's Computershop, amazon.ca and memory express.

I looked at newegg.ca but as usual the prices of the parts I needed were stupid ridiculous compared to these other 3 guys. Add on newegg return policy kind of sucks if there is an issue well...

Like I said I used to buy from them but haven't in a long while cause they changed at some point and just went downhill.

As a Canadian I would not buy and have my PC built by newegg.ca we have plenty of local mom and pop shops that can do it for comparable prices with better service if you really need/want someone to build your PC for you.

Newegg went down hill a long while ago I dunno if it's because it was bought out by some other company or what but it went from my favorite place to buy to a place I don't buy from anymore.
    Post edited by Asm0deus on
    Kyleran

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Quizzical said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Lately most of us have been calling them scalpegg so guess that explains my opinion on this new service, like hell I would build a PC using all scalpegg bought parts at standard prices......
    When there is a shortage, the options are to let things sell out and then be out of stock or to raise prices far enough to keep them in stock.  What customers really want is for you to keep parts in stock at or below MSRP, but that doesn't happen during a shortage.

What has happened a lot is that New Egg raised their own prices on some parts that were in short supply, but not far enough to keep them in stock.  Other sites that sell through New Egg raised their prices a lot more and managed to keep them in stock, so you see those prices on New Egg's site, but they're not really New Egg's prices.

There have been other companies demanding ridiculous prices through New Egg's site for quite a few years now.  It used to be that New Egg would have the same part in stock, so you didn't care if some other site also offered to sell it to you at double the price.  Now that New Egg is often out of stock, the higher prices from other sites are a lot more visible.

If you don't want to pay high prices during a shortage, the real solution is, don't buy during a shortage.
    Thanks for the insight even if it was a tad condescending since I am already fully aware of all this shit being that I having been buying and repairing electronics since vcr/betamax. ;)

I even worked in C/S for this kind of stuff so I bet I know how some of the shadier tricks work from the inside you might be surprised about...lol

If you read correctly though my point is newegg has had shit price since before this whole chip shortage...like I clearly posted I haven't bought much of anything from them in about 5 years or so not out of any hate of them or love of some other place but simply because their prices went to shit.
    Funny story, sometimes price isn't everything, service and or availability can more equally if not more important.

In Florida the number one grocery store with about 60% of the market is Publix which is probably one of the highest priced stores outside of specialty grocers like Whole Foods.

They keep dominating year after year by providing superior service, keeping store shelves fully stocked day or night, having an army of checkout staff at any given moment (no self service checkout here), BOGO deals, super clean stores, friendly, helpful staff and best of shopping carts where the damn wheels never wobble and glide like a dream.

Not saying NewEgg is anything like this, perhaps they are no better or even worse than others, but it's possible they offer some thing which keeps people coming back despite having higher prices.
    Publix services the rich/retiree market, in my experiance.  Piggly Wiggly was the cheaper, generally lower quality, lower price segment of the population.  That's how it was in the area of Florida I am familiar with.  Publix carried all sorts of niche northeastern US products to specifically draw in the retirees and snowbirds.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Asm0deus said:
    Kyleran said:
    .....snip....

Funny story they are no better than any other place I can order from online in Canada.   I don't buy from shoddy places that give shitty service or wont refund items if there is an issue etc so after all that price is the deciding factor.
    ;)

That said I am not surprised some people have had issues getting refunds from newegg as their return policy is sucky and they like the hoops but then again any place you can get a shitty rep that doesn't know what they are doing.  Ideally in these cases you have to be well informed on how their particular process works so yo can explain to the rep why they are wrong if they want to refuse you for some etc etc.  It's important to be well informed, patient and polite.

Last PC I built last december right during the big scalper prices and  shortage I got parts from Mike's Computershop, amazon.ca and memory express.

I looked at newegg.ca but as usual the prices of the parts I needed were stupid ridiculous compared to these other 3 guys. Add on newegg return policy kind of sucks if there is an issue well...

Like I said I used to buy from them but haven't in a long while cause they changed at some point and just went downhill.

As a Canadian I would not buy and have my PC built by newegg.ca we have plenty of local mom and pop shops that can do it for comparable prices with better service if you really need/want someone to build your PC for you.

Newegg went down hill a long while ago I dunno if it's because it was bought out by some other company or what but it went from my favorite place to buy to a place I don't buy from anymore.
    If you're talking about a Canadian site and I'm talking about an American one, then of course there's going to be a disconnect.  New Egg's Canadian prices have never been nearly as good as their American ones.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Sovrath said:
    I learned how to build my own PC so i don't have to pay $100+ for it. If you tell me that assembly cost is part of the already high price of buying a PC + taxes and shipping, i wouldn't mind. That extra $100 is unnecesary IMO.
    I've built two pc's and I'd gladly pay $100 so I didn't have to.

Sure, there is some satisfaction of looking at a newly built and (eventually) working PC.

But for me that's fleeting.

For the few issues I had to troubleshoot in order to make the damn thin work, $100 dollars is worth never having those issues again.

i understand that, but i still have the mentality I had when I lived in my home country where $100 USD used to be almost 2 months salary. It was easier for me to learn to build a PC than paying for it.
    It depends a lot on whether your time or your money is scarcer.  I'm certainly not saying that everyone should pay to get a computer assembled.  It makes sense for some people and not others, and for a variety of reasons.  But for people in the United States who think that it does make sense to pay an extra $100 for someone else to assemble your computer for you, this is likely to be a good option.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Deathkon1 said:

I spent $80 on something I couldn't even get a refund for pfff lol omfg no never again that was my money not mommies and daddies money I worked for the money to pay it like I always have, I have never had it easy I never got things handed to me I can hold grudges until hell freezes over if I buy from you and  it doesn't work and you wont even refund it guess what I ain't paying or buying jack from you ever again
    Then your issue is with the return and refund process - Newegg has very little to do with the quality or manufacture of the hard drive itself.

I don't think the point about who's money it is makes too much difference, but ok, if you want to specify I suppose your allowed to. 

And even that, usually return & refund is only available within about 30 days of purchase. outside of that window and you have to deal with Warranty support from the manufacturer itself.

I'm not a huge Newegg fan any longer - they used to be great, but since they were acquired by a Chinese parent and allow third party sales, they seem to be much less so.

But when you do a return on items sold directly from Newegg (not a third party), I have found Newegg to be better than most retailers with respect to ease of returns.

KyleranSovrath
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Ridelynn said:
    ...snip...
    ...snip...
    I'm not a huge Newegg fan any longer - they used to be great, but since they were acquired by a Chinese parent and allow third party sales, they seem to be much less so.

...snip...

Indeed and I agree I think it is when they got bought out it started going downhill.
    Ridelynn

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    How do you know you're getting new parts and not returned/refurbished?  Are you getting the component boxes and upcs?

I wouldn't trust it.  
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    They must've felt they lost business to people who were not tech minded, so they were going to go for a portion of it, kind of like the Geek Squad and Best Buy.
    Gdemami