Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is going on with some of the renaming of classes?

KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/game/classes

Smilegate already had translated the classes in English. They all sounded good already. Why did Amazon had to go and give such weird names ?

Warlord > Gunlancer
Infighter > Wardancer
Battle Master > Scrapper(like what?)
Soul Master > Soul Fist
Holy Knight > Paladin (okay this is alright)
Devil Hunter > Deadeye
Blaster > Artillerist
Hawkeye > Sharpshooter
Demonic > Shadowhunter
Blade > Deathblade

Maybe some intern was drunk and tasked with making the English site...We can only hope.

While it's a bit weird, it could very well just be a rushed site only translation thing/oversight and in-game the names are fine. That's reaching, but we can dream.

What do you all think ?
NanfoodleBruceYee[Deleted User]

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    hmmm gunlancer and soul fist are horrible.
    Nanfoodle
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Blade > Deathblade

could have been

Blade Dancer > Deathblade Master 
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited June 2021
    Kumapon said:

Smilegate already had translated the classes in English. They all sounded good already. Why did Amazon had to go and give such weird names ?

Warlord > Gunlancer
    Infighter > Wardancer
    Soul Master > Soul Fist
    Devil Hunter > Deadeye
    Blaster > Artillerist
    Hawkeye > Sharpshooter
    Demonic > Shadowhunter
    Blade > Deathblade

Maybe some intern was drunk and tasked with making the English site...We can only hope.

While it's a bit weird, it could very well just be a rushed site only translation thing/oversight and in-game the names are fine. That's reaching, but we can dream.

What do you all think ?
    My Guesses (note: I don't necessarily agree with these reasons. I just think that this might have been their reasons):

Warlord > Gunlancer   Warlord isn't specific enough while Gunlancer tells you what weapon(s) they use
    Infighter > Wardancer  Maybe they don't know or they think their audience doesn't know what an Infighter is
    Battle Master > Scrapper   Battle Master isn't specific enough while Scrapper tells you it's a down and dirty street fighter of sorts
    Soul Master > Soul Fist  Soul Master isn't specific enough while Soul Fist tells you what weapon they use.
    Holy Knight > Paladin (okay this is alright)  Yea, self-explanatory
    Devil Hunter > Deadeye  Devil Hunter isn't specific enough while Deadeye informs you it's a marksman. Also maybe they didn't want to be seen by players as being a rip off of Diablo 3
    Blaster > Artillerist  Blaster isn't specific enough (...apparently) while Artillerist tells you it's someone with long range explosions, I guess
    Hawkeye > Sharpshooter  Marvel Avengers Copyright fears.
    Demonic > Shadowhunter  Demonic isn't specific enough while Shadowhunter implies an assassin-ish class that hides in shadows
    Blade > Deathblade  DEATH.
    [Deleted User]VrikaKyleranScot
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Lol, leave it up to Amazon to F#$% things up!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Randomuser2020876Randomuser2020876 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Tokken said:
    Lol, leave it up to Amazon to F#$% things up!
    It's the one thing they've been consistent at since getting into gaming.
    Tokken
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Gunlancer doesn't even sound like a Warrior archetype. That's the most egregious one.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Maybe it's kind of like in Kritika Online, where licensing or IP or some such meant that they had to toss out the translation made by people who were actually fluent in English and rely instead on one made by people who aren't.  That's how the "Archer" class in the En Masse version became the "HongRyoung" class (no really, I'm not making that up) in the Steam version.
    Kumapon
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited June 2021
    At first glance it looks like bad naming choices but cover the right side and just look at the left. Next, think of the western audience and how eastern themes sometimes don't really click long-term unless the people are diehard anime fans. The pastel colors and over all glimmering/shiny themes may in some small way be offset by slightly more masculine western'ish names.

GUNlancer
    Soul FIST
    WARdancer
    SCRAPPER
    DEADEYE
    DEATHBLADE
    SharpSHOOTER
    ShadowHUNTER
    the all around well loved familiar Paladin
    and military ref Artillerist

Warlord could've been kept the same IMO but I dunno maybe they didn't want to upset actual warlords? :#
    Kumapon[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    They don't bother me too much other than Warlord > Gunlancer.  Warlord is too badass of a name to change.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    I only played Bard in the closed alpha so I don't know if they kept all these or how all of them play. But here's my take.

Warlord > Gunlancer : Should have kept Warlord, but I get how Gunlancer is more role descriptive. I don't mind either.

Infighter > Wardancer : Both aren't great, but Wardance makes more sense culturally. In English "Infighting" has a greater connotation with dissention or disagreement within a group. Infighting is rarely associated with a close combat brawler or boxer.

Battle Master > Scrapper(like what?) : I like Battle Master much better. This feels like change just for its own sake and detracts from the persona of the class.

Soul Master > Soul Fist : Either would have worked, but I think the "Fist" in this brings up martial arts imagery whereas Master has a more ambiguous connotation. A Master could be a Soul mage, priest, or martial fighter. I'd wager "Fist" definitely means "martial artists" to most westerners due to movies.

Holy Knight > Paladin (okay this is alright) : Agreed, but again both would have worked. Paladin in English is more familiar.

Devil Hunter > Deadeye : A dead eye is a sharpshooter or sniper. It makes sense. Again Devil Hunter doesn't have the same imagery in western culture as eastern.

Blaster > Artillerist : Both of these are horrible. A blaster? Who's blaster, Han Solo's? Artillerist is a very niche term in modern culture as well. Maybe 50 years ago it would have had more viceral imagery but it's a poor choice too. Traditionally it probably would have been called artilleryman, but they went for the gender neutral term which is dumb because the class is gender locked to male. It isn't an easy class to name but it has been bungled on both ends.

Hawkeye > Sharpshooter : Either could have worked, but maybe they were trying to dodge any scrutiny from Marvel and the Disney legal team. Hawkeye is a trademarked bow user in the Marvel universe. Sharpshooter is a poor choice again because typically it implies a rifleman, not an archer.

Demonic > Shadowhunter : Good name change in my opinion because in western culture shadow hunter evokes imagery of a hunter of undead, demons, and dark beings. A demonic doesn't describe what the class does. I could easily assume it was a necromancer or demon summoner.

Blade > Deathblade : It's nearly the same. Maybe they were just going to extra descriptive flavor? Deathblade isn't bad, but on the cutting edge of overstated.

Which one of these was the "bard" class you played, or isn't it on this list?

What is it called today?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MikeSpicyMikeSpicy Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    One thing I'm not seeing anyone mention is the political correctness of the name changes.

It's probably in Amazon's best interest to get rid of words like "Master" or "Devil" or "Lord"... basically anything someone can get upset at later on. The USA is VERY sensitive to stuff like that. Just a thought!
    WalkinGlenn[Deleted User]Linif[Deleted User]
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited June 2021
    MikeSpicy said:
    One thing I'm not seeing anyone mention is the political correctness of the name changes.

It's probably in Amazon's best interest to get rid of words like "Master" or "Devil" or "Lord"... basically anything someone can get upset at later on. The USA is VERY sensitive to stuff like that. Just a thought!
    USA is extremely sensitive.

also a drama-llama I was reading about Lost Ark is saying they racist cause no black people

seeing character customization adds I guess racial characteristic faces is what they want? was a tad confused lol
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    MaxBacon said:
    MikeSpicy said:

USA is extremely sensitive.

also a drama-llama I was reading about Lost Ark is saying they racist cause no black people

seeing character customization adds I guess racial characteristic faces is what they want? was a tad confused lol

It's not really the populus, but the douche bags in the media, politics and their celebrity cronies that keep force feeding that bs.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    MikeSpicy said:

Welcome to the forums! :)
    edited July 2021
    It does seem the names have been changed to ones that are more descriptive of the class, but then you may not get a name as "good" as the original one. But what is good here is very much down to personnel taste.
  • ArqJaegerArqJaeger Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited July 2021
    Kumapon said:

Warlord > Gunlancer
    Infighter > Wardancer
    Soul Master > Soul Fist
    Devil Hunter > Deadeye
    Blaster > Artillerist
    Hawkeye > Sharpshooter
    Demonic > Shadowhunter
    Blade > Deathblade

What do you all think ?

FYI.. It's  
    Infighter > Scrapper
    Battle Master > Wardancer

Just so you guys know.. cuz it seems no one here knows it correctly

Shout out from Korea ;p
    kitaradScotLinif
    edited July 2021
    ArqJaeger said:
    Kumapon said:

Warlord > Gunlancer
    Infighter > Wardancer
    Soul Master > Soul Fist
    Devil Hunter > Deadeye
    Blaster > Artillerist
    Hawkeye > Sharpshooter
    Demonic > Shadowhunter
    Blade > Deathblade

What do you all think ?

FYI.. It's  
    Infighter > Scrapper
    Battle Master > Wardancer

Just so you guys know.. cuz it seems no one here knows it correctly

Shout out from Korea ;p
    Welcome to the forums! :)

I have to say that "infighter" just reminded me of my days in the office, so that's a good change!
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Sephiroso said:
    Gunlancer doesn't even sound like a Warrior archetype. That's the most egregious one.
    I dunno, my mind went immediately to the Gunlance from Monster Hunter. Guess it depends on what you've played?

My only gripe with the names is Deadeye and Sharpshooter. I don't feel these names are different enough to clearly define what either do. Someone who's a Deadeye is someone accurate, likewise as a sharpshooter. But I'm digging deep to nit[ick that one lol.