Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Palia developers: No crowdfunding "at this time"

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
A MOP article from today says that the Palia developers state that there will be no crowdfunding "at this time."  The FAQ on the official Discord says the same thing.  No way to know yet if there's any significance to them wording things this way, but they also chose not to clearly state that they will never pursue crowdfunding for the game.  Anyway, interesting and something to keep in mind as development progresses.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/06/09/palia-devs-say-pre-alpha-will-be-under-nda-wont-talk-monetization-except-to-rule-out-crowdfunding-at-this-time/

And from the Discord FAQ:   Does crowdfunding exist for Palia and is there a target for the Pre-Alpha to go ahead?
Nope! We're not doing any crowdfunding at this time.

Comments

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    With that wording I'd expect their crowdfunding to be only a matter of time.
    MendelSovrathKyleran
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    When the game idea fails to attract investor attention, they will crowdfund rather than walk away and accept that their ideas failed.  At some point, this will be all about ego.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah words used by studios are never random,they are carefully chosen.Gaming now a days has 99% focus on how to create revenue and about 1% on creativity and effort or i should say lack of.
    KyleranDiabhual

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    As of this morning, i think they secured $30mill funding from investor

Source: 

[Deleted User]

So What Now?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited July 2021
    TweFoju said:
    As of this morning, i think they secured $30mill funding from investor

Source: 

According to article on MOP this is $30M in Series B funding on top of their original $19M in backing.

"we noted that Singularity 6 was well-funded, with $19M total in seed funding and Series A funding from investors"

"Singularity 6, the Los Angeles-based developer dedicated to the idea of delivering more meaningful online game experiences, has raised $30 million in a Series B financing round led by FunPlus Ventures. The funding also included previous investors Andreessen Horowitz (a16z) and LVP, as well as Transcend, Anthos Capital and game industry veteran Mitch Lasky"

If the cumulative is really $49M for a staff of 56 people I'd say they have little need for crowd funding.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/07/01/palias-latest-investment-round-nets-30m-as-pre-alpha-invites-begin/

The Pantheon team struggled to obtain a "7 figure" investment which still isn't near enough to carry them over the line.

While it seems the investment world is flush with cash for game development, none seem interested in backing these old school MMORPG projects.

They just don't think there is enough money in it or something I guess.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon