Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 PTR 2.7.1 Brings Diablo 2's Ethereals | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageDiablo 3 PTR 2.7.1 Brings Diablo 2's Ethereals | MMORPG.com

The 2.7.1 patch for Diablo 3 PTR is now live and brings Ethereals from Diablo 2. Here are the details.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited June 2021
    The ethereals are kind of interesting. I don't like the fact that I most likely need to buy the necro pack if I want to get all 21 for permanent transmogs though. As smart loot is in effect and you can't trade ethereals to others. I think requiring all 21 to get the transmogs, and feat of strength, is crappy design. Maybe they just want people to stick around longer than usual, or maybe they want to sell more necro packs.

With Lost Ark, Last epoch, POE2 and D2R all coming out in the somewhat near future, I'm not sure sticking with D3 is worth it anyway. I like collecting cosmetics but it's not like they'll carry over to D4, and they shouldn't. D4 is likely to be an improved D3 so D3 will almost certainly be dead upon D4's release.

Beyond that, their balance person could at least numerically buff say the weakest set per class each season. They really do a crummy job in that regard. and it doesn't help that whomever is doing it has zero online presence or communication in terms of priorities.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've been playing on the PTR for the past few days.

The Ethereal weapons are extremely powerful: In addition to all the other affixes on them, the 1HD give you +100% damage to all class skills and the 2HD +300%. Their base damage rolls are also quite a bit higher than a typical legendary weapon.

For collectible purposes there are 3 per class but any of those 3 can roll the same legendary affixes which are copies of existing class specific affixes.

It's easy to get hem on the PTR since legendary drop rates there are cranked up by 2000% but once they go live the drop rate will be somewhere between an Ancient (10% of legendary drops) and Primal (0.1% of legendary drops.)

They will be very rare and even more rare if you're hoping to get one with an affix useful for your build. RNG on top of RNG.

Needing to collect all 21 before any of them become available to transmog will be a very grindy PITA.

The tie-in to D2 is cool and all but for all practical purposes next season has a theme that will not be felt much by anyone except for those who "play" (bot) 24/7 who are the only ones likely to get an Ethereal with the correct legendary affix for a top build.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED