Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Guild Gatherings Asks About Your Fondest Guild Memory | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageAshes of Creation Guild Gatherings Asks About Your Fondest Guild Memory | MMORPG.com

The latest Guild Gatherings for Ashes of Creation went live earlier, asking your thoughts on fondest memories.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BayenBayen Member UncommonPosts: 37
    my fondest guild memor.......JUST MAKE THE DAMN GAME
    [Deleted User]Haki88Alexander.B
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    DAoC, I was in a very slick guild. We were the first guild to solo a relic. We were the underdogs of our server. Often coming up with strategies to take out forces much larger then we could even dream of mustering.

One night we broke our raid into two smaller teams and a one large force. Midgard often rolled with 150 odd players taking keep after keep. The two smaller teams kept going behind the Midgard forces and taking back their keeps while the other small team would scout and take pot shots at keeps to keep the Mid's in a forward direction we wanted them to take.

About 30-40 of us were at a keep, crouched down and on the top floor. Waiting. the two smaller teams finally ticked off the Midgard's enough they stop taking back keeps and started to peruse them. They bolted to the keep we were hiding at.

The two teams defended the keep till the last moment and as they broke down the gate, the two teams ran up the stairs to where we were waiting. The Midgard's were so emboldened, thinking they finally would put an end to these pesky Avalonian's, they just run without looking, thinking they knew the size of the army they faced, Most of our larger group was AoE ready and waiting. In a short few min, we took down all 150 of them.
  • BC_AnimusBC_Animus Member UncommonPosts: 115
    So... anyone here still thinks they are actually making a game?
    Mallyx
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    edited June 2021

BC_Animus said:

Yep, and why not think that?

NDA have recently been lifted, and there haven't been any reports afaik that they are not making a game. Feedback talks about progress from test to test, but a long way to go yet. Maybe a really long way too.

There can be many thing to be in doubt off and be critical about when it comes to this company and this game, especially with the financial history if it's founder, and some of the bumps so far in its developments.

But them not making a game ? What actual points at that ?
    I am really curious here

Remalirykos99McSleazMallyx
  • nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    edited June 2021
    jondifool said:
    I am really curious here

Like an iceberg, six sevenths of what makes an MMORPG lie beneath the surface, i.e. is not visible to the player; AoC has so far only shown what is above the surface (and also generates revenue from those "visuals"), but not whether the technical foundation delivers what was promised.
    Mallyx
  • AugustusGAugustusG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited June 2021
    Twelve sky 2. That's the game where guilds where the more relevant, with weekly total war on the server where my guild was on defence duty.

Before that Astrowars. Even better, we where a bunch of friends from all around the world.

Before that Neverwinter nights 1. I was an orc cop part of the city guards. Plenty of fun on this RP server.
  • BC_AnimusBC_Animus Member UncommonPosts: 115

jondifool said:

BC_Animus said:

NDA have recently been lifted, and there haven't been any reports afaik that they are not making a game. Feedback talks about progress from test to test, but a long way to go yet. Maybe a really long way too.

There can be many thing to be in doubt off and be critical about when it comes to this company and this game, especially with the financial history if it's founder, and some of the bumps so far in its developments.

I am really curious here

As far as I could tell all they've been doing is selling pre-order packs and different sets of limited timed pre-order mount and cosmetic packs. All they have shown off are snippets of art designs and bits and pieces of thrown together "gameplay" using premade engine and assets.

Every once in a while they would throw out some random surveys like this one to make some noise and get themselves back onto the news, into articles like this one, followed by sales of a new set of limited time pre-order mount and cosmetics.

Are they actually making a game? Maybe...? But personally, I think it looks like all they are doing is milking money out of fans. My expectation is they would either declare themselves bankrupt and run with the cash later on down the line, or, at best they will deliver something that is dated and shoddily made. Something along the lines of "Shroud of The Avatar".
    Haki88AugustusG
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    jondifool said:

BC_Animus said:

... but a long way to go yet. Maybe a really long way too.

I genuinely wonder how far back development was pushed with their cash grab, battle royale dubbed "Combat Test". 
    Haki88
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Of course memories like my first raid stand-out, but perhaps my "fondest" guild memory was back in EQ1. I began just a month or two before Velious was to release & I was at a Kelethin elevator on the Crushbone side. The small guild I was in we were grouped & hunting random npcs working our way to Crushbone, but also the leader was teaching us languages & explaining the use of languages in EQ. I found it so fascinating how intricate the language system was in EQ & it's plethora of uses. That day really opened my eyes to how detailed a mmo could be even if not always practical & even if not all aspects of a mmo are as detailed. This reminds me I should probably engage with my Rosetta Stone account lol.
    edited June 2021

nurso said:

jondifool said:

I am really curious here

Like an iceberg, six sevenths of what makes an MMORPG lie beneath the surface, i.e. is not visible to the player; AoC has so far only shown what is above the surface (and also generates revenue from those "visuals"), but not whether the technical foundation delivers what was promised.

Most MMOs take about 5 years to make, they seem to be on track to release at a normal speed. Since the NDA lift, a steady flow of people talking about how happy they are. Most impressive is the coding. No lag problems with about 150-200 people PvPing in the same area. ESo cant claim that.
    [Deleted User]Katinga
  • nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Nanfoodle said:

No lag problems with about 150-200 people PvPing in the same area. ESo cant claim that.

On servers that would also be used in normal operation? Because it makes a difference whether they run a test on super high-end servers, where the minute costs 1k USD, or on servers that offer the best cost-benefit ratio.

nurso said:

Nanfoodle said:

No lag problems with about 150-200 people PvPing in the same area. ESo cant claim that.

On servers that would also be used in normal operation? Because it makes a difference whether they run a test on super high-end servers, where the minute costs 1k USD, or on servers that offer the best cost-benefit ratio.

Last alpha test phase there was about 5k active testers. I know their pool of Alpha testers is well over 10k. They did not release how many they had online at one time but in the Siege they showed off, Steven was running the game on a 1080 Ti at 4k, practical effects still not scaled (they are large and way over sized) and he was capturing his video for a stream at the same time with 150+ players all in one area at the same time and not a hickup. Their coder team is run by a really solid guy. Its his 8th or 9th MMO and has been doing this since EQ1.
    [Deleted User]
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Nanfoodle said:

nurso said:

jondifool said:

I am really curious here

Most MMOs take about 5 years to make, they seem to be on track to release at a normal speed. Since the NDA lift, a steady flow of people talking about how happy they are. Most impressive is the coding. No lag problems with about 150-200 people PvPing in the same area. ESo cant claim that.

They said on kickstarter 1 year, after that no date or reason of such delay. apoc? jpg sale? sc sale model? Who knows..
    Haki88 said:

Nanfoodle said:

nurso said:

jondifool said:

I am really curious here

They said on kickstarter 1 year, after that no date or reason of such delay. apoc? jpg sale? sc sale model? Who knows..
    Im not gonna say good on Steven for selling his product by telling a fib but we all here on mmorpg.com know how long games take to make an MMO. No one here was fooled into thinking he could make a game in 1 year.

Apoc did delay the game but not for the reason you think. I think Apoc was a dumb idea but it did set them back a year because they found some coding problems with combat that they had to go back and rework that from the ground up. 

Steven has learned and so has the company, to be more forward and honest. I love his creative ideas but I think someone else should be the face for the game and they need a marketing team that controls the narrative. I think Steven likes to run at the mouth and sometimes I dont think he always lies. Sometimes I think he does not know the answer and guesses confidently lol

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    At this point people claiming the game to be a scam is just laugable. They have shown they actually have something and people are freely able to talk about the games state problems and all due to the nda release.

I agree that selling cosmetics pre launch is bad, but this is how they are raising funds. I would rather players fund development instead of a publisher who will want maximum returns on investment no matter what the cost to the actual game.

Now there are things to criticize.

1) how apoc was handled
    2) agressive vanity item sales pre launch
    3) constant missed target dates
    4) current battle system being very meh (they are releasing a revamp soon)

But honestly at this point that is it. They have a large team of industry vets, they are making meaningful progression month to month, game has a playable state that people are actually happy with for pre-alpha, the world so far looks really good design wise (and no it is not made from store assets....).

Atm anyone saying it is a scam has not done any research on the game or simply a forum troll.
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    BC_Animus said:

jondifool said:

BC_Animus said:

I am really curious here

As far as I could tell all they've been doing is selling pre-order packs and different sets of limited timed pre-order mount and cosmetic packs. All they have shown off are snippets of art designs and bits and pieces of thrown together "gameplay" using premade engine and assets.

Every once in a while they would throw out some random surveys like this one to make some noise and get themselves back onto the news, into articles like this one, followed by sales of a new set of limited time pre-order mount and cosmetics.

Are they actually making a game? Maybe...? But personally, I think it looks like all they are doing is milking money out of fans. My expectation is they would either declare themselves bankrupt and run with the cash later on down the line, or, at best they will deliver something that is dated and shoddily made. Something along the lines of "Shroud of The Avatar".

It sounds like you want to convince yourself they're not doing anything. Which is fine, believe whatever you want, but the simple facts are:

• Yes, they are making a game and no, selling pre-orders is not 'all they've been doing'.
    • Hundreds and later thousands of players have played the game since the testing started one year ago. Currently people are playing it weekly, during spot tests.
    Personally, I would guess the game is some 2-3 years away from release. At the same time the progress they are making is very noticeable and the game is definitely going in a good direction. The difference compared to Apocalypse, which was out a bit over a year ago, is pretty huge.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    So three years from launching and they want to know what my fondest guild memory is, being there in ESO, LOTRO etc on launch day with my guild.
    Nanfoodle
  • Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Being in a guild where we talked outside of the game and people would need me for certain clan wars because I was good at certain maps in PvP. I still keep contact with some of them (way back in 2011) but can't say I ever had that connection with online people ever again since then.