Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disney's New Stance on Star Wars Games Opens up a Galaxy of Possibilities | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited January 2021
    I'm not a big fan of Disney's Star Wars, or how they destroyed the expanded universe to make it "legends" (which remains the true Star Wars for me), but knowing that EA no longer has the exclusivity is greats, excellent news.

I must admit though that the latest games, Jedi: Fallen Order and Squadrons, are really good, specially Squadrons with a VR headset.
    Which just proves gaming studios are only as good as their latest game and that it is best not to damn or cheerlead any of them, just wait till after the reviews before you buy.
    Gdemami
  • Odi101Odi101 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    There's only 2 things I'd like to see. Well, 3 I guess. Story is a given. That needs to be there, and it needs to be good. The other 2 -

1 - I'd like to see a true open "world." By that I don't mean a few planets with some small walled off areas to explore (lookin at you SWTOR). The Star Wars universe is an entire galaxy. I'm not saying it needs a whole galaxy with fully explorable planets, but at least make it FEEL like there's a galaxy out there to explore.

2 - As much as I tried to enjoy CP2077 (I didn't have any game-breaking bugs and did still enjoy the game) I am really just not a fan of games in 1st person. I want to see my character, not just his/her depictions of hands and feet during jenky looking combat.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have never played a SW game i thought was any good.I am not even sure i could honestly say even average at best however i would feel more comfortable saying all prior SW games have been very sub par.
    So what does this mean,more options to play sub par games or is there perhaps the possibility of rival competition trying to outdo the other to prove they can make the better SW game?
    The the final question,if two studios try and compete with each other,will that guarantee a AAA game>>>nope.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    For myself,when i think of a truly great Star wars game i am thinking lots of large scripted battles of good versus evil.
    I am thinking several non human races/cultures so then various planets,galaxies with each having their own eco system.

Point being to make a great SW game is a huge undertaking,one of which i do not feel ANY studio is willing to take.So instead they want to give us boring same old game design with some missions some tropes to allow us to believe it is actually a SW game and of course a light saber.

I need to see a MUCH better job at creating "the environment"much more so than giving me boring ass missions or side missions or conspiracy missions.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    I'm not a big fan of Disney's Star Wars, or how they destroyed the expanded universe to make it "legends" (which remains the true Star Wars for me), but knowing that EA no longer has the exclusivity is greats, excellent news.

I must admit though that the latest games, Jedi: Fallen Order and Squadrons, are really good, specially Squadrons with a VR headset.
    I agree on the "Legends" part. I still have a shelf of some of the greatest SW stories ever told, but now seem to be meaningless in the grand scheme. 
    I have no "wants" in reguards to a new SW game. Just waiting to see what comes down the pike.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Scot said:
    I know a couple of people that will play anything with Star Wars lore......It could be stick figures on a white background but if they call it Star Wars Stick Figures then they are there.
    Here is a design concept for you. :) :

Hey if Fortnite can make billions then so can this.....
    Scot
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited January 2021

I thought it was quite telling that Disney announced 10 new Star Wars shows for Disney+ and they all seem to ignore the abominations that were the new trilogy.  They are also going to to the "Legends" concepts and reviving them...  Admiral Thrawn... rumor has it that we might see a Mara Jade...
    Unfortunately the Mandalorian is definitely providing us the foundation of the First Order.  And so there is no way they will be bold enough to retcon out the sequel trilogy. 

But in fairness, The Old Republic stuff wasn't exactly the most innovative departure.  They went back thousands of years and have the same looking tech and such and the same old Jedi vs. Sith war.

In the end, the problem is that everything has revolved around Force users in the saga.  The one thing in the EU that really sounded interesting to me was the invasion of the Yuuzhan Vong.  I feel like most of the interesting stories to tell in the universe now are out on the fringes and away from the republic, empire, jedi and sith.
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158

Aeander said:

I'd like a bounty hunting game where you play a Mandalorian and get to customize your own suit. Could even add co op for Warframe style missions.

Yes. Definitely with Co-Op
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited January 2021
    Torval said:
    Unpopular Opinion: Disney has been the best thing for Star Wars and the Marvel Universe. The Mandalorian has been the most interesting Star Wars serial I've seen in years. I kinda wish John Favreau had more influence and direction over the direction of Star Wars overall.
    Now you have decided to just be perverse. :)

I will say they have done some good things but overall it has been a let down. However the real question is could someone else have done better, and if so who and why?
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    i want my SW Battlefront 3 with 64 players

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

I thought it was quite telling that Disney announced 10 new Star Wars shows for Disney+ and they all seem to ignore the abominations that were the new trilogy.  They are also going to to the "Legends" concepts and reviving them...  Admiral Thrawn... rumor has it that we might see a Mara Jade...
    Unfortunately the Mandalorian is definitely providing us the foundation of the First Order.  And so there is no way they will be bold enough to retcon out the sequel trilogy. 

But in fairness, The Old Republic stuff wasn't exactly the most innovative departure.  They went back thousands of years and have the same looking tech and such and the same old Jedi vs. Sith war.

In the end, the problem is that everything has revolved around Force users in the saga.  The one thing in the EU that really sounded interesting to me was the invasion of the Yuuzhan Vong.  I feel like most of the interesting stories to tell in the universe now are out on the fringes and away from the republic, empire, jedi and sith.
    There is rumor of a redo on the Sequals for Disney plus..https://youtu.be/BW0b_OzXwk8
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Torval said:
    Unpopular Opinion: Disney has been the best thing for Star Wars and the Marvel Universe. The Mandalorian has been the most interesting Star Wars serial I've seen in years. I kinda wish John Favreau had more influence and direction over the direction of Star Wars overall.
    I love the Mandalorian but it doesn't make up for Episodes 7-9.  I think the worst part for me was how they doubled down and tried to say it was just Star Wars fatigue... which of course the Mandalorian proved to be bullshit.

As for Marvel... it will be interesting to see how this next phase goes.  They absolutely struck gold with Downey as Iron Man and most of the other original Avengers casting was really good.  (Personally I thought Evans as Capt America was great as well). Now with the core being written out/stepping back I honestly do not know if the interest in titles like Dr Strange or Shang-Chi or the Eternals are going to fill the gap.   We shall see.

Scot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Odi101Odi101 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Odi101 said:

1 - I'd like to see a true open "world." By that I don't mean a few planets with some small walled off areas to explore (lookin at you SWTOR). The Star Wars universe is an entire galaxy. I'm not saying it needs a whole galaxy with fully explorable planets, but at least make it FEEL like there's a galaxy out there to explore.

Have you ever tried Elite: Dangerous ?

I grabbed it a while back, but haven't played it yet. I've been occupied with a couple other games (CP2077 for a month, and now Yakuza: Like a Dragon).
  • ryoujikajiryoujikaji Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I would like Disney to bring back pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies or a Star Wars Galaxies 2.