Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 2021: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt Hands-On Preview: Battle Royale With Bite | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageE3 2021: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt Hands-On Preview: Battle Royale With Bite | MMORPG.com

The battle royale genre quickly became one of the most popular genres in video games, but after a while the games lost their edge. Jason looks into whether or not the upcoming Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodhunt from Sharkmob Interactive can bring the bite back into the genre.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Releasing a battle royale while the VtMB2 gets delayed to god knows when is a terrible look. 
    [Deleted User]ValentinaMustikosRoinGreatnessXarkostrawhat0981sakerSamhael
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Aeander said:
    Releasing a battle royale while the VtMB2 gets delayed to god knows when is a terrible look. 

I wish there was more information on it as it seems they just left us hanging after they announced the studio would no longer be making it.
    Mustikos
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I dunno Battle Royal always struck me more as a game mode like team death match or capture the flag. 

It's such a lazy thing to base an entire game around. I got a kick out of Path of Exile making a BR for April fools with 1 day of coding. Just goes to show you how easy these types of games are to make.

Forget bite I bet this is gonna suck! HA!
    IselinAsheram[Deleted User]kitaradGreatnesssaker

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    Enough with the Battle Crapyale, time to retire that stupid fad that's been ruining the shooter genre for the past 3 years.
    DhampirMustikosRoinXarkosaker
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,140
    Well, crap.... looks like we all know what they did with all those VtM2 art assets.

*cries*
    MustikosXarkosaker

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    More e-sports BR shit with borrowed assets from the real game that is now in limbo?

Hard pass.
    Roinsaker
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

Aeander said:

Neoyoshi said:

Well, crap.... looks like we all know what they did with all those VtM2 art assets.

*cries*

This is a separate game, made by a different studio and has nothing to do with VtM2
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am 99% certain that when this was first bantered around a few years back it wasn't suppose to be a BR.So i assume,they wanted to spend less money and do less work and jump on the bandwagon train.

They also had some lame gimmick to try and combine it into a social media affair.I thought it all sounded dumb a few years back when did that announcement party and i am not getting the feeling anything is better now.
    So since i never considered  the first game to be any good and not seeing anything positive incoming for the second i chose to not follow this at all.
    So i assume that this is some cash grab BR trying to help pay for the real game that likely has very little interest.

Valentina

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

I am 99% certain that when this was first bantered around a few years back it wasn't suppose to be a BR.So i assume,they wanted to spend less money and do less work and jump on the bandwagon train.

They also had some lame gimmick to try and combine it into a social media affair.I thought it all sounded dumb a few years back when did that announcement party and i am not getting the feeling anything is better now.
    So since i never considered  the first game to be any good and not seeing anything positive incoming for the second i chose to not follow this at all.
    So i assume that this is some cash grab BR trying to help pay for the real game that likely has very little interest.

This is a separate game, made by a different studio and has nothing to do with VtM2
    Scot[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    "The world of Vampire: The Masquerade sounds strange when placed next to the term "battle royale," but right now Sharkmob is well on its way to assuading (assuaging)any fears about the idea."

I rather doubt that, but this is not the same studio making VtM2, thanks for pointing that out Valentina. When you have an avatar like that we should trust you on all things vampire. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Stoked on a new BR, looks different. Hope its good and not infested with cheaters.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Stizzled said:
    Scot said:
    "The world of Vampire: The Masquerade sounds strange when placed next to the term "battle royale," but right now Sharkmob is well on its way to assuading (assuaging)any fears about the idea."

I rather doubt that, but this is not the same studio making VtM2, thanks for pointing that out Valentina. When you have an avatar like that we should trust you on all things vampire. :)
    Well, it wouldn't be the same studio as VTM Bloodlines 2 doesn't currently have a studio working on it. There is zero work being done on Bloodlines 2 at the moment.

Even if Bloodlines 2 does come out at some point, it will likely not use most of the current assets (since they'd be dated by then). It's silly to assume they aren't using assets from what was Bloodlines 2 on this game to speed up development.
    So they bought the right to use the assets from Bloodlines 2 for the BR?

kitarad said:
    Stizzled said:
    Scot said:

Well, it wouldn't be the same studio as VTM Bloodlines 2 doesn't currently have a studio working on it. There is zero work being done on Bloodlines 2 at the moment.

Even if Bloodlines 2 does come out at some point, it will likely not use most of the current assets (since they'd be dated by then). It's silly to assume they aren't using assets from what was Bloodlines 2 on this game to speed up development.
    I see what you mean, we can't be sure but it would make business sense if they had brought them, I am sure fans will be able tspot that soon if it is true. Meanwhile a proper VtM game stalls.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    No thanks.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I wanted it but I lost interest when I found out it was in first person view only so I have not followed the development sorry.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    edited June 2021
    It really makes me sad as an old vtm/wod fan, that they're (paradox/newwolf) whoring the ip to anyone that dangles a $5 bill at them now.

The 3 "clans" shown in the exclusive signup for alpha reward aren't even vtm clans. What's with those symbols? There's nothing vtm about this outside the name they're using to try to boost sales. Having vampire characters does not make it vtm. Apparently putting the name on it doesn't make it so either.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
    edited June 2021

Stizzled said:

kitarad said:

Stizzled said:

Scot said:

Paradox owns White Wolf and are/were publishing both this game and Bloodlines 2. I'm not sure why you think they'd need to buy anything, they already own all of those assets.

And, maybe they aren't using Bloodlines 2 assets. I don't know why they wouldn't, but I don't know any more about it than anyone else.

What I do know is, making a BR game shows Paradox doesn't have a clue what to do with the World of Darkness IP. Just looks like they're trying to salvage something out of the failed Bloodlines 2 development.

Because that's not how publishing, owning an IP, or game development works. This game would have had to be in development long before Bloodlines 2 ended up in limbo in order to be in a showcasing and playable state today, you can't build a game that quickly even with shared assets between teams, which would have to be part of the same studio. They've licensed the IP out to different studios to bring the franchise to different demographics, one of them messed up, while the other one hasn't and appears to be making it to release. With that being said, they confirmed at the end of Febuary that Bloodlines 2 is still in active development, they just haven't named what studio is "leading" development after Hardsuit Labs essentially got fired - only that they have signed a new studio to do it. That means if anything, Paradox, who has their own developers anyway, are likely working on the title as they transition it to the new studio who will complete it.

Yeah it sucks that the BR is the game that's making it out of the gate at the moment if you were looking forward to Bloodlines 2 like many of us were, if you don't like the battle royale genre. RPG's are my favourite genre, followed by MMORPG's. I still enjoy competitive PVP games, so I am looking forward to seeing how this game plays.
    Scot
  • DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 161
    seems a cool concept.....wait and see.
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Nyctelios said:
    Nothing more VtM than breaking the mask going around killing stuff cause reasons.

Its like I'm back in time playing with people who saw Blade and Fast and Furious. 
    This is such a good point.

The entire reason for vampires existing is because they abide by the masquerade. Breaking it is eternal death. They hide and do not let humanity know they are real in order to survive. There is an entire structure of Vampire Rulers and clans.

If you wanted to do a full on vampire war why not get the Underworld IP. It way more fits the BR vampire war and you can throw in werewolves too.

The entire thing just treats the original property as a joke. It does not respect the source material.

Scot

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

The lesson here guys is the lore matters to fans and writers far more than it does to gaming studios. It has always been that way, just vote with your feet, in other words if you think it is farcical don't play it. The exception I make there though is for multiplayer, in every MMO I have played roleplayers just ignore elements which are clearly ridiculous lore wise.

But BR has never interested me, gave a couple of the big titles a go, so giving this a miss.
  • AugustusGAugustusG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    after a decade of been game master on pen and paper I was a moder on VTM:R it was an awesome RPG with a game master position on the multiplayer. All the game of that license disapointed me compare to it due to lake of multiplayer real RPG like in VTM:R. Sadly a battle royal version of it is not what I expected of the next multiplayer version.

Well there are expectation and reality. VTM is a great license and the game may be fun. We'll se when it's out.
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,140
    Stizzled said:

Valentina said:

Wizardry said:

Game has been delayed for years now, I wouldn't hold your breath. This is the only VTM game you're getting from Paradox any time soon, and probably ever.

Different studio or not, this is what has risen from the ashes of Bloodlines 2.

It's a really frustrating situation.  

I'm looking forward to the full story on how this train-wreck even occurred.

But seeing as how those involved all work or had worked for subsidiaries owned and operated by Tencent, yes (THAT Tencent)- we'll likely never get the full story of how a sequel to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines; ended up getting cancelled and then asset-flipped into a Battle Royal.

Scot

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • AugustusGAugustusG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited June 2021
    The first Vampire the masquerad videogame is not Bloodlines, it's Redemption by the way.
    Scot
    AugustusG said:
    The first Vampire the masquerad videogame is not Bloodlines, it's Redemption by the way.
    Never played it but it was reasonably well received. It is about as different form Bloodlines as Bloodlines is from a BR. :)