Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 2021: Lost Ark Is Coming Fall 2021 To The West Via Amazon Game Studios | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    sanibak3a said:
    I have no idea why people are so hyped for this game. I played it in Korea over VPN for like 2-3 months when it first came out and quit out of boredom. Content is time gated meaning no matter how much you grind or how "good" you are your progression will be limited. I think it takes like 2-3 weeks or more just to get to the western side of the world map past the barrier.

I don't see this as "main game" material. I'm hyped for Swords of Legends Online, but I might end up feeling the same way after 2-3 months of that game. It's hard to find an MMO these days that holds my attention after the first few months. Once the fresh content dries up and you're stuck on that daily/weekly treadmill grind it's hard to stay motivated to play.
    Everyone has different tastes, but Season 1 was very different to what the game is now. Back in Sept. Smilegate did a FF XIV and re-did the game. It's why the game is huge now in S. Korea. 
    kitarad
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Why is Amazon using Steam heavily to spread Lost Ark?

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    i really hope they didnt wait too long, they might have, like most asian games taking forever to find a publisher/ translation.

this game should have been released like 2 years ago, it had full release in 2018. this will be the make or break for amazon games as a publisher, lets hope they do well with this.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Well, here are the founders packs

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/shop

Here's a video going over the packs and what they contain in more detail

I'm personally not a fan of the model being used but I am not shocked in the least that they are going this route.  There's a good chance I would have spent money if they weren't giving in game shortcuts, head starts and advantages.  I simply don't support games like this 99% of the time.

I'm sure I'll play it after the early access ends, but as I'm also not a fan of lockout timers and dailies in ARPGs, I'm not sure how long it will keep my interest.  Especially if D2R releases around the same time or if Last Epoch releases a multiplayer patch.
    Nanfoodle
  • yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191

kitarad said:

yonpachi said:

kitarad said:

yonpachi said:

I'm tired of this whole, "Western World = North America & Europe" only.

What happened to Oceanic & South East Asia, they are pretty much English.

They have to find willing publishers in your region I think.

Only Blizzard give enough damn that SEA & Oceanic players are mostly English speaking, and they put them in their "The Americas" region. 

Not good for your ping though. ARPG I would hate to play with 1k over ping.

My ping to their Overwatch/Heroes of the Storm is about <50 ping, they DO have actual servers in Singapore and Australia INSIDE their "The Americas"
    Gdemami
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Lost Ark model in terms of premium stuff is the same as the other versions.

It's not too far from BDO. As you play the rewards is the premium stuff, nothing really full locked to cash store you wouldn't be able to obtain.

The more problematic issue of lost ark not sure how amazon is balancing it, is endgame tends to be a lot of daily stuff you do to get the daily amounts of X or Y you want to continue progressing crafting-wise, and it can be annoying having to do all the daily reward content pieces that you might not even like just for the rewards, that's about it.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    MaxBacon said:

It's not too far from BDO. As you play the rewards is the premium stuff, nothing really full locked to cash store you wouldn't be able to obtain.

The more problematic issue of lost ark not sure how amazon is balancing it, is endgame tends to be a lot of daily stuff you do to get the daily amounts of X or Y you want to continue progressing crafting-wise, and it can be annoying having to do all the daily reward content pieces that you might not even like just for the rewards, that's about it.
    I know how most people play ARPGs. There is no way people are going to enjoy lockouts. It kills the interest faster than anything. ARPGs are like a voracious beast you have to constantly feed it for it to live. The minute interest wanes the game dies for me. I walk away from it easily, it isn't like an MMORPG ,ARPG are a whole different animal.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    kitarad said:
    MaxBacon said:

I know how most people play ARPGs. There is no way people are going to enjoy lockouts. It kills the interest faster than anything. ARPGs are like a voracious beast you have to constantly feed it for it to live. The minute interest wanes the game dies for me. I walk away from it easily, it isn't like an MMORPG ,ARPG are a whole different animal.
    This game has done very well with region locks. The problem comes down too how well will it do in NA? I personally think this game will do well. But thats just IMO
    Nanfoodle said:
    kitarad said:
    MaxBacon said:

This game has done very well with region locks. The problem comes down too how well will it do in NA? I personally think this game will do well. But thats just IMO
    Excuse me? I wasn't commenting about the region lock but content lockouts.
    Nanfoodle

edited June 2021
    yonpachi said:

kitarad said:

yonpachi said:

kitarad said:

yonpachi said:

I'm tired of this whole, "Western World = North America & Europe" only.

What happened to Oceanic & South East Asia, they are pretty much English.

They have to find willing publishers in your region I think.

Only Blizzard give enough damn that SEA & Oceanic players are mostly English speaking, and they put them in their "The Americas" region. 

Not good for your ping though. ARPG I would hate to play with 1k over ping.

My ping to their Overwatch/Heroes of the Storm is about <50 ping, they DO have actual servers in Singapore and Australia INSIDE their "The Americas"
    That is because Blizzard publishes its own games. With a lot of other games they rely on region publishers and for them to provide the servers. So if they do not have a publisher they do not bring the game to your region in fact in a lot of cases without the publisher they cannot bring the game to the region, hence the region lock or they let you connect any way you can to the servers based far away from where you are located. This is of course very bad for ping.

In the early days of WoW though they didn't have that and there was considerable lag and what was worse when I went to Europe they used a router in France that caused certain servers to lag so bad it was showing 3k over. I was unable to play in any BG at all. I had to start over in another server and abandon the server they routed through  France.

Their tech forums had huge threads from people in those servers. I finally realised I was doomed if I stayed on the server and made a switch.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    kitarad said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    kitarad said:
    MaxBacon said:

Excuse me? I wasn't commenting about the region lock but content lockouts.
    Sorry just read your reply, when you said lockout I thought you meant region. 
    kitarad
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Yea at endgame you get like 100's of  stamina bars, from life skills to dungeon runs, that fill up each day. You can use the cash shop, or what FTP players do is have multiple alts. 

In LA, stamina is only per character, not account. So the more alts you have the more stuff to do. 
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Lol, Belgium and Netherlands are locked out, the game won't be available there 'due to local regulations'.

If you need to know how this game will approach your wallet, look no further.

Yo dawg, we heard you liked lootboxes, so we put lootboxes in your lootboxes, so you can loot boxes while you loot boxes.

[Deleted User]GdemamiIselin
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Lol, Belgium and Netherlands are locked out, the game won't be available there 'due to local regulations'.

Yo dawg, we heard you liked lootboxes, so we put lootboxes in your lootboxes, so you can loot boxes while you loot boxes.
    idk how it works it's weird, but even GW2 has loot boxes with the black lion chests, where like LO on RU and such it drops around the same lines.

Maybe it just applies to new releases not old ones as far the regulations go.
  • hiyadiddy89hiyadiddy89 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Seems like Malaysia is also unavailable to play this game?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    ...more like if you need to know how it will be when you invite your government into your hobby, look no further.
    [Deleted User]
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

I'm honestly curious why are people so excited about this game? At best it looks like Cabal Online, a game I also never understood the appeal of.

With you 100%!, I don't see anything here to get remotely excited about. I see nothing at-all interesting in it, nothing special...
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Nerdgazm fap fap fapop arrrghoorghhg !!

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    BruceYee said:

IceAge said:

All good that Lost Ark is finally coming to EU/NA .. but I still wonder, how in the hell a big company like Amazon Games, its spending their resources ( and money ) for 3rd party games, rather then focusing in becoming a major Game Development company.

I blame the guy from SOE. He did the same at SOE, publishing many other games.. and we all know how it ended up.

If I would be Amazon ( or SOE ), I will ONLY release games I'm making, not publishing some Korean Grind MMO for God knows what reason.

In before : Money and Marketing . Really ?!?

FYI Smedley is low on ze AGS totem pole so you can put your blame away...
    They'd actually be better off if he was in charge but right now he just leechin' like the rest of em' ;)
    Is a ..General Manager ( whatever that means ) at Amazon Games. I wouldn't say ..low. 

They'd actually be better off if he was in charge?! Tell me something good ( not great ) Smedley did in his career....beside working on EQ. 

Gdemami

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Gdemami said:
    ...more like if you need to know how it will be when you invite your government into your hobby, look no further.
    It’s more of a:

Wealth being sucked out of a country with little to no tax revenues over something that could be costing government ak the Tax Payers of that country large.

Type of problem.

Gdemami

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Not sure how much I can say since there's supposed to be some sort of NDA (If the details were on the blurb I just quickly accepted, IDK because I didn't read it :) ) but his alpha gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect since they give you stuff to try that will be in the cash shop later on. Anyway...

Pets for example add to your inventory capacity and give you some minor buffs but you need to buy an item that lasts for 5 days to keep renewing their abilities or they stop giving you the benefits (we get those just given to us in the alpha) and just become cosmetic.

They also give you chests (and yes some of those have chests also inside) with offensive, defensive and support items (feathers to rezz others is an item for example) and one chest with purple quality gear (a staff for my summoner) at level 10 with another something in there I will get at level 18, etc. Not sure if that's just an alpha thing and will be cash shop crates or if they will have those free ones to get you used to them in addition to store bought ones like many games do. At least the stuff in the ones I've seen is not random: you can pick 4 or 5 things out of 20 choices or so. Whether they will also have full RNG loot crates for sale also, IDK.

So they're definitely going big on convenience items - not sure how big because I'm not far enough along to know what may be coming later with crafting, dungeon/raid lock-outs, etc.

It's built like most F2P games with no monetization opportunities left on the cutting room floor.

I don't normally play F2P games (POE being my one and only exception) because I find the hustle for money annoying when it's right inside the game so I'm just checking this out for its game play...

And that game play is just OK, not revolutionary or great. Some cool stuff but also some annoyances. And some of those annoyances are just personal preference such as an abundance of older NPCs some with very wizardy long white beards and robes but you can't be one of those - if you want to be a mage you have to be a teenage girl. In fact every player looks like a teen boy or girl who spends a lot of time grooming :)

I don't think Diablo or POE have anything to worry about.
    [Deleted User]BrotherMaynard
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED