Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

See You In Fifteen: Realm Vs Realm Combat In Dark Age Of Camelot | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    kitarad said:
    Why can't any game just duplicate the system in Dark Age of Camelot. It was really successful and the combat was not twitchy and right up my alley.
    Ok.

Wait.

First of all, No, it was not "Really Successful" it had about the same top amount as subs as UO, and half the shelf life, so, this was not some amazing success story from a backers view, it also just started to directly die off when WoW launched. So while it was Successful for it's day and age, it was just not some shooting star that would have caught the eye of people looking for the big money payout for game making.

Now, personally, I thought the balance sucked, not only on the individual level, but was so dismally poor that one realm could have numbers that would allow it to vastly steamroll the other realms, and there was no way to fix this matchup, so that was a huge design flaw.

I look forward to seeing what Camelot Unchanged does to handle many of the flaws and drawbacks that DAOC had, to bring the game up to more modern standards, but, ideally, for those that love DAOC, it's still live, get in and play.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    I'm seeing a lot of DAoC lately, on Twitch, on YT and now on here. It's cool to see.

Is there some kind of major resurgence happening with it or something?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    edited June 2021
    I'm seeing a lot of DAoC lately, on Twitch, on YT and now on here. It's cool to see.

Is there some kind of major resurgence happening with it or something?
    You can't keep RvR down, best MMO set up ever, it is as simple as that. :)
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    GatsuZerk said:

kitarad said:

Why can't any game just duplicate the system in Dark Age of Camelot. It was really successful and the combat was not twitchy and right up my alley.

Kinda twitchy if you played main CC. First group to mez is gonna win 90% of fights.
    You can say that about the enchanter in Everquest too. They had to immediately get and enchant the correct mobs and inform the group which mob they are enchanting. It isn't about that type of twitch at all. I can draw a gun as fast as any guy as long as I don't have to dodge and jump about while doing it.

That is the thing about DAoC there isn't all the type of action oriented shit that is popular in games nowadays. Positioning in DAoC for certain attacks for certain classes were not so time sensitive nor that twitchy that I could not play the Valewalker well.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Ungood said:
    kitarad said:
    Ok.

Wait.

First of all, No, it was not "Really Successful" it had about the same top amount as subs as UO, and half the shelf life, so, this was not some amazing success story from a backers view, it also just started to directly die off when WoW launched. So while it was Successful for it's day and age, it was just not some shooting star that would have caught the eye of people looking for the big money payout for game making.

Now, personally, I thought the balance sucked, not only on the individual level, but was so dismally poor that one realm could have numbers that would allow it to vastly steamroll the other realms, and there was no way to fix this matchup, so that was a huge design flaw.

I look forward to seeing what Camelot Unchanged does to handle many of the flaws and drawbacks that DAOC had, to bring the game up to more modern standards, but, ideally, for those that love DAOC, it's still live, get in and play.
    For the time it launched pre WoW it did plenty well for the genre. Mind you it had so many classes and none of the copy paste crap of skills across the realms. Each class in each realm was special and had an identity. Who designs games like this any more. No one absolutely no one.

The fact that they had to balance all those skills in PvP was Herculean and I am not surprised it wasn't balanced but PvP in DAoC isn't about individual battles it was about the whole experience and while I admit Stungard was king but I still enjoyed being the lousy Hib running around getting killed a lot. It was pretty unbalanced I have to admit.

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    That was a proper article about DAoC. This is the game that I compare all other games to... and they all fall short with me thinking "the template for a great PvP focused MMO has been made, why ignore it?".

I played this game religiously for almost 15 years (and I still sucked). So many things brought back memories that make me want to play again. Whenever I get a new computer or get a new HD, DAoC is still one of the first downloads after setup even though I haven't played consistently for years.

Man I miss that game.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    kitarad said:
    Ungood said:
    kitarad said:
    Ok.

Wait.

For the time it launched pre WoW it did plenty well for the genre. Mind you it had so many classes and none of the copy paste crap of skills across the realms. Each class in each realm was special and had an identity. Who designs games like this any more. No one absolutely no one.

The fact that they had to balance all those skills in PvP was Herculean and I am not surprised it wasn't balanced but PvP in DAoC isn't about individual battles it was about the whole experience and while I admit Stungard was king but I still enjoyed being the lousy Hib running around getting killed a lot. It was pretty unbalanced I have to admit.
    I played on Hib as well, on my server, we always got rolled, at best could field around 15 people, meanwhile, Albion could field more than 15 healers alone.

And there was nothing we could do about it, it was just the population split on our server. Made for a pitiful game time.

I later left that server and played Albion on another server, and felt like Albion was just some zerg realm, that always had more people.

http://www.gucomics.com/comics/2003/gu_20030819.jpg
    kitarad
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.