Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's going on with gaming news sites right now???

CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
It's roughly 6am EST on 6/8 and literally every gaming news site(including ones I don't visit) are all down with 503 errors.  Gamespot, IGN, Gameinformer, Kotaku, you name it...all 503.  Nothing else is down and there's no news on it...

What is going on???

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited June 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Deathkon1 said:
    It's roughly 6am EST on 6/8 and literally every gaming news site(including ones I don't visit) are all down with 503 errors.  Gamespot, IGN, Gameinformer, Kotaku, you name it...all 503.  Nothing else is down and there's no news on it...

What is going on???
    Holy Shit your right rip

Might be getting dossed

Imma laugh if we get hit next LUL

I did manage to come across the same problem on a non-gaming site(MMA specifically).  It must have been a server cluster that went down.
  • ReveratReverat Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    The same thing happened to reddit, but now everything seems to be fine. Does anyone know what it was?
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    A content delivery network (CDN) got taken down.

I believe the operators of the CDN found a vulnerability and had to take the whole network down for an hour to patch the vulnerability. As it was a popular CDN, a lot of the internet went down.

The CDN was called "Fastly"

I've not used fastly before myself, but when I was a web dev we often used CloudFlare for similar purposes. There are a whole hell of a lot of benefits, which is why most big websites will use them. Whilst I never had to use a CDN due to scale issues, we did use them for politically sensitive websites in order to get better security.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light