Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is OpenEra? What We Know So Far About the In-Development Blockchain MMO | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageWhat is OpenEra? What We Know So Far About the In-Development Blockchain MMO | MMORPG.com

OpenDive's upcoming MMO, OpenEra, essentially plans to create a RuneScape-like game, but in the Crypto age, but what do we know about the game so far?

Read the full story here

bcbully

Comments

• KataalKataal Member UncommonPosts: 173
    I've really not been sold on the whole blockchain gaming thing yet, but I think that's mostly because the ones I've seen have been glorified mobile games with idle combat. Give me a blockchain MMO that feels like a real PC MMO (WITHOUT AUTOPLAY), and I'm all for it.

That said, this seems promising and I really dig the art style.
    ChampieKyleran
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I'm not a big runescape fan, I've never been able to get into it, but thats probably because I started it very late and it was a little confusing. This game seems interesting, but if this is like the other blockchain games I've seen in development, the buy in is going to be real expensive.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This garbage infesting games is exciting..lmao,how much they paying this site to shill it up that much?
    Furthermore the game looks like crap,so the yare putting more effort into the $$$ part than the game,why am i not surprised and WHY are we giving this crap ANY notoriety at all?

if they want to advertise fine,shove an an advert banner over there but don't try and con users with some bs about this crap game.

I love the rhetoric as well...

it is an EXCITING time,then ends with a statement "well there isn't much information out there right now",well how the hell is this EXCITING then?

Google just gives me a bunch of correlations with Tennis but no game,so there is no way this site just stumbled on to this then thought "oh wow i bet gamers just want to hear about this scam game".if it looks like crap>>it is crap.
    ScotMustikosChampie

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    This garbage infesting games is exciting..lmao,how much they paying this site to shill it up that much?
    Furthermore the game looks like crap,so the yare putting more effort into the $$$ part than the game,why am i not surprised and WHY are we giving this crap ANY notoriety at all?

if they want to advertise fine,shove an an advert banner over there but don't try and con users with some bs about this crap game.

it is an EXCITING time,then ends with a statement "well there isn't much information out there right now",well how the hell is this EXCITING then?

Google just gives me a bunch of correlations with Tennis but no game,so there is no way this site just stumbled on to this then thought "oh wow i bet gamers just want to hear about this scam game".if it looks like crap>>it is crap.
    Just because you don't understand the game doesn't mean it's a scam or crap. Just like when people scoffed at free to play games or cash shops or console MMOs or studios push to mobile. 

How did those work out? Free to play games increased revenue. Cash shops brought in more money. MMO's on console last longer and make more money than just PC only games. Mobile is the biggest platform on the planet. 

At one point we all, even myself, looked at the shift in development and laughed. For all we know this could be another industry shift in the making. 
    GdemamibcbullyQQMorePleaseChampieiamspamicus[Deleted User]KidRiskNanfoodle[Deleted User]

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    90% of crypto related projects, including games, is pure scam. Let's see where this one fits in. Its not even original in any way (runescape wannabe) so thats a major minus in my book.
    GdemamibcbullyChampie

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    If it's F2P and doesn't have a Kickstarter or some Early Access entry price, I will give it a try, otherwise not. I've bought only two Early Access games, one was a relative success, the other still has to prove something, I'm not buying anything in Early Access ever again, I never funded a Kickstarter and never will.
    Scotbcbullymaskedweaseliamspamicus
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2021
    "It’s an exciting time in MMO history"

The lack of perspective in that statement about bitcoin games was so bad I did a thread, just hoping someone on MMORPG's staff takes an investigative look at bitcoin games rather than just praising them.
    GdemamibcbullyChampieAugustusGmaskedweasel
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Wizardry said:

Just because you don't understand the game doesn't mean it's a scam or crap. Just like when people scoffed at free to play games or cash shops or console MMOs or studios push to mobile. 

How did those work out? Free to play games increased revenue. Cash shops brought in more money. MMO's on console last longer and make more money than just PC only games. Mobile is the biggest platform on the planet. 

At one point we all, even myself, looked at the shift in development and laughed. For all we know this could be another industry shift in the making. 

Weren't you the one talking about how crappy the last one they posted looked?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    `It's happening.  ;)
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Not everything needs blockchain.
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Keep talking about block chain being a scam, I will continue to make 20k per week playing them. Axie Infinity to the moon. I am not really sure about this game, doesnt appeal to me as much as Mirandus. I just bought a halfling NFT off Gala's website right before the current crypto crash. I think mirandus will change MMOs forever.

People need to think about pay to win differently when it comes to blockchain gaming. Pay to win is a scam on games you dont own the property but in games where the cosmetics and items have real value, and are encouraged by the developers to sell, its a real victory for players. I just hope with better security than games in the triple A industry, block chain gaming fixes the rampant disease called cheating. Cheating is ruining competitive gaming and there is no sight to it ending other than the block chain revolution. Hard to cheat when everything has IDs with ledgers that tell you the complete history.

Check out mirandus for the next step in block chain gaming.
    SensaiMcSleaz
    Keep talking about block chain being a scam, I will continue to make 20k per week playing them. Axie Infinity to the moon. I am not really sure about this game, doesnt appeal to me as much as Mirandus. I just bought a halfling NFT off Gala's website right before the current crypto crash. I think mirandus will change MMOs forever.

People need to think about pay to win differently when it comes to blockchain gaming. Pay to win is a scam on games you dont own the property but in games where the cosmetics and items have real value, and are encouraged by the developers to sell, its a real victory for players. I just hope with better security than games in the triple A industry, block chain gaming fixes the rampant disease called cheating. Cheating is ruining competitive gaming and there is no sight to it ending other than the block chain revolution. Hard to cheat when everything has IDs with ledgers that tell you the complete history.

Honestly I don't know why you think this game looks worse than Mirandus, openera I think actually looks a lot better. 

There will be a few games that I think will break through, I don't think mirandus is on that list tbh. This game may or may not. There are a lot of games in development like this.

Strangely enough the best one I've played so far has been Blankos Block Party. I think there's still a long way to go before we can figure out which games will change MMOs. I do think blockchain gaming is the future, but nothing I've seen yet has convinces me that it will become "the future" over anything else in development.

• GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    edited June 2021

Honestly I don't know why you think this game looks worse than Mirandus, openera I think actually looks a lot better. 

There will be a few games that I think will break through, I don't think mirandus is on that list tbh. This game may or may not. There are a lot of games in development like this.

Strangely enough the best one I've played so far has been Blankos Block Party. I think there's still a long way to go before we can figure out which games will change MMOs. I do think blockchain gaming is the future, but nothing I've seen yet has convinces me that it will become "the future" over anything else in development.

I am concerned about Gala games and how they will interact with the government when crypto is about decentralization. I really like the look and sound of mirandus though. The graphics are cool and I like the idea of kingdoms going to war. The graphics are very unique, reminds of runescape and minecraft combined. Mirandus is a gamble imo, but if I am going to gamble, mirandus is a dream come true.
    maskedweasel
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Either I am really smart for not getting involved in the Blockchain mess or I am missing out on being a pioneer and making some huge money when I sell an in game sword for $23 mill. Im not sure at this point. 
    McSleazGdemamiChampieMendel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Wizardry said:

I still scoff at free to play games or cash shops or console MMOs or studios push to mobile and could care less how much money they make.

maskedweaselMcSleazGdemamiChampieScotTacticalZombehMendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    It's exciting because someone is trying to make a mediocre knock-off of some other game and then add blockchain to it?
    McSleazGdemamiChampieKyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Wizardry said:

I still scoff at free to play games or cash shops or console MMOs or studios push to mobile and could care less how much money they make.

It is strange, when do you hear car enthusiasts talking about how great it is that the car industry is rolling it in, or a family down McDonalds celebrating how much money fast food chains are raking in?

But for some strange reason this is supposed to be a cause for celebration among gaming fans, bonkers. I would understand it gaming studios had been financially in the doldrums, finding it hard to make ends meet. But we all know that they where raking in millions, the "online boom" started in about 2001.

More billions are being made, but are the games better? Well the graphics mostly are but not even there is that always true, many mainstream studio titles favouring cartoon over realism. As for the gameplay that has been sacrificed on the altar of easy mode, and in multiplayer you can't change the mode. I could go on, but coffee calls. 
    Post edited by Scot on
    GdemamiMendel
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited June 2021
    I need a tonne of assurances and I will only play this after people have completely dissected the game and assured me my computer will not used to mine profit for them. I am willing to shell out money for the purchase price, sub and expansions and even some microtransactions here and there but I draw the line at my electricity and my computer hardware.
    ScotGdemamiMendel

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nanfoodle said:
    Either I am really smart for not getting involved in the Blockchain mess or I am missing out on being a pioneer and making some huge money when I sell an in game sword for $23 mill. Im not sure at this point. 

I think it far more likely that this Blockchain stuff is going to end up with 1 person selling a $23 million virtual sword, and the other 4 million who thought to profit from that same sword end up with a $0.00023 virtual sword.

GdemamiKyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I will have absolutely nothing to do with blockchain games.....If I have to go back and play older games to avoid it, I will.
    GdemamiScotKyleran
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Nothing virtual has real value. Of course that doesn't prevent real people from assigning a value to the virtual. It also doesn't prevent them from disassociating that value at whim.

The whole thing is rather high risk, essentially attaching gaming to a speculative market where one could lose 20k in a week rather than earn it should conditions turn unfavourable.

As far as victories for players go, that's pretty questionable.

Still, I'll check out Mirandus to see how miraculous it appears to me.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    What’s going to be new an innovative in these games besides the monetization. How’s the blockchain going to improve gameplay? How is the blockchain going to improve performance?

Is blockchain going to make those large player battles run smoother and be less of a slide show?

20+ years of software, hardware and infrastructure evolution and these mmo’s still run like shit when you plop a couple hundred people on the screen at the same time. Is blockchain going to fix that?

Or is blockchain just going to promise me that I can make money by playing a game? If that’s the case, it’s a suckers game.

IselinmklinicGdemamiKyleran

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Blockchain is just a tool.  As with any other tool, what matters is the resulting product, not which tools you use to make it.

If game developers tell you that the point of their game is that they're using Java to make it, or that they're using Vulkan to make it, or that they're using Unity to make it, then you should be extremely skeptical of their game.  Those are all just tools.  They are all a means and not an end.  The real question is what interesting things are they doing with those tools.

To be clear, there's (usually) nothing intrinsically wrong with using a particular programming language, API, or game engine.  But using that particular tool must not be the point of the game.  If you make it into the point of the game, then you're surely using the tool all wrong.

And so it is with blockchain.  If the point of the game is that they're trying to find some use for blockchain, then they'll surely use it badly.  If you're using blockchain well, you'll want to talk about the cool features that you create with it, not the fact that you're using blockchain.  That blockchain was one of the tools used to create the game should merely be incidental, as with any of the other tools that you used, not a bullet point of why people should play your game.
    IselinGdemamiKyleran
    Quizzical said:
    Blockchain is just a tool.  As with any other tool, what matters is the resulting product, not which tools you use to make it.

If game developers tell you that the point of their game is that they're using Java to make it, or that they're using Vulkan to make it, or that they're using Unity to make it, then you should be extremely skeptical of their game.  Those are all just tools.  They are all a means and not an end.  The real question is what interesting things are they doing with those tools.

To be clear, there's (usually) nothing intrinsically wrong with using a particular programming language, API, or game engine.  But using that particular tool must not be the point of the game.  If you make it into the point of the game, then you're surely using the tool all wrong.

And so it is with blockchain.  If the point of the game is that they're trying to find some use for blockchain, then they'll surely use it badly.  If you're using blockchain well, you'll want to talk about the cool features that you create with it, not the fact that you're using blockchain.  That blockchain was one of the tools used to create the game should merely be incidental, as with any of the other tools that you used, not a bullet point of why people should play your game.
    I agree with you on the first part, disagree on the second. Blockchain is a "tool" as you say. But it's  tool with very specific rules. It's like saying you're using a pickaxe to build a fence, if you use the wrong tool then you're doomed to fail. 

Some of these blockchain companies come out with the premise that a game is a blockchain game, with an idea in mind that those who play it automatically know what that means. 

But it's clear from the few threads on here about blockchain games that many people don't know what it means, nor do they understand what you can do with a blockchain to begin with. 

To tell you the truth, I don't blame them. It's okay to be careful when presented with something new. Especially since blockchain gets lumped together with other volatile endeavors, where people are often on the "make it big" or "lose it all" sides of the spectrum, and the media only loves to talk about those two ends of the spectrum. If somethings not "soaring" or "crashing" they don't want to talk about it... and that's why when interesting games attempting to try something different crop up, using buzz words that are as often used negatively as positively, they don't want to take the time to understand what is going on. 
    Champie

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    edited June 2021

Wizardry said:

How did those work out?

From the perspective of the player, f2p and cash shops haven't worked out well at all. They aren't really winning planks to build a platform around, here anyway.
    Gdemami