Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Classic - Review In Progress | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageWorld of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Classic - Review In Progress | MMORPG.com

After a much shorter pre-patch period than Robin expected, the portal has been opened. Robin is in Outland in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Classic. Check out her thoughts in our first review-in-progress.

Read the full story here

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Zerat82 said:

What a game it was what an adventure what a life, I remember working in clubs, have fun in clubs and than when i got to tired i went for a good bc adventure. Now no clubs no fun and definetly no games to play but i will never look back and won't play any wow content, you have to look forward and try to find new stuff and new adventures , no one should get stuck in the past. All this players who play blizzard games are the reason blizzard never made a good game after wow.

Now WoW is not the same.

Retail is a joke, a hollow shell of its former self.

The Classics are just an attempt at milking nostalgia.

I've been playing almost exclusively on Vanilla private servers since around 2013 and when Classic launched in 2019, I subscribed for like 2-3 months to see what it's like and I realized it's just not worth it - not in any way superior than the private server experience.

And the more I played Vanilla, my first MMORPG since 2006, the more I realized that living in the past is more dangerous than many other things. You desperately want to relive your past, but you just can't and you end up hating the game, yourself and a lot more.

The best thing that can be done is to fondly remember the good old days of WoW and just move on to newer, greener pastures (new and different MMOs you haven't played before that manage to click some of your buttons).

Before WoW, I used to play Diablo 2 a lot, I tried playing it recently, it just doesn't work - the game is amazing, gameplay is solid, combat is good, the ways you can advance your character are so many, but having done it before and whatnot, it just doesn't bring joy anymore.

Simply put, there is a time and place for everything, and you just can't force it when it's no longer that time or place.
  • corrosivechainscorrosivechains Member UncommonPosts: 50
    People like to say you can't recreate the experience of the past, but let's be real, with all the changes Activision is making, they aren't even trying too. What made WoW what it was, was the communities which developed on their respective servers, and no amount of "convenience" is going to change that. That's the stone that MMO developers keep refusing, which is the cornerstone of the genre.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    A review for a 15 year old expansion.

That's where the MMORPG genre is now.

Rangers Gonna Chimichanga The Rangerpool Mini Challenge - Rangers - Nerd  Fitness Rebellion
    deniterTheocrituspantaro

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Zerat82 said:

What a game it was what an adventure what a life, I remember working in clubs, have fun in clubs and than when i got to tired i went for a good bc adventure. Now no clubs no fun and definetly no games to play but i will never look back and won't play any wow content, you have to look forward and try to find new stuff and new adventures , no one should get stuck in the past. All this players who play blizzard games are the reason blizzard never made a good game after wow.

LOL why even review this? All they had to do was pull out an old review for this.
  • tiszacktiszack Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited June 2021
    I stopped playing 12 or so years ago and never got to finish BC, but I returned a couple months ago and the current game is so much different. I was considering trying classic vanilla or classic BC, but like a couple others have said, it's not good to live in the past. I mean I'm sure I would be entertained and nostalgic for a little while but after a month or so I would probably lose interest, with just knowing that I'm playing an older version of the game.

With that said, I wouldn't mind getting back into an MMO. Are there any newer MMO's that Play like Vanilla and BC, or at least closer to that sort of game? A game where I can slowly progress my character even after hitting level 60, just exploring or doing the occasional dungeons/raids, but without having to do mythic+ type stuff.

I don't like how the current shadowlands makes you feel like you are progressing by doing daily/weekly stuff, but all you are really doing is progressing toward getting cosmetic stuff, which I don't really have an interest in.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    tiszack said:
    I stopped playing 12 or so years ago and never got to finish BC, but I returned a couple months ago and the current game is so much different. I was considering trying classic vanilla or classic BC, but like a couple others have said, it's not good to live in the past. I mean I'm sure I would be entertained and nostalgic for a little while but after a month or so I would probably lose interest, with just knowing that I'm playing an older version of the game.

With that said, I wouldn't mind getting back into an MMO. Are there any newer MMO's that Play like Vanilla and BC, or at least closer to that sort of game? A game where I can slowly progress my character even after hitting level 60, just exploring or doing the occasional dungeons/raids, but without having to do mythic+ type stuff.

I don't like how the current shadowlands makes you feel like you are progressing by doing daily/weekly stuff, but all you are really doing is progressing toward getting cosmetic stuff, which I don't really have an interest in.
    Elder Scrolls Online, getting to 50 is just the beginning of the progression journey.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited June 2021

templarga said:

People like to say you can't recreate the experience of the past, but let's be real, with all the changes Activision is making, they aren't even trying too. What made WoW what it was, was the communities which developed on their respective servers, and no amount of "convenience" is going to change that. That's the stone that MMO developers keep refusing, which is the cornerstone of the genre.

Been playing Alliance on Pagle now a while and its been a really good community. People offering to open lock boxes, mages giving food and water just for donations, people forming groups for dungeons.

No its not 2007 but its the best community I have found in a number of years.

I'm on Pagle too! It really is a pretty solid server, rarely run into terrible people and more often than not instead of fighting over mobs people just invite to groups.

Hariken said:

Zerat82 said:

LOL why even review this? All they had to do was pull out an old review for this.

Because it isn't the exact same game that released back then and since, you know, it's 2021 not 2007 the experience of playing it is also different. Same reason remasters get reviews.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Zerat82 said:

Now WoW is not the same.

Retail is a joke, a hollow shell of its former self.

The Classics are just an attempt at milking nostalgia.

I've been playing almost exclusively on Vanilla private servers since around 2013 and when Classic launched in 2019, I subscribed for like 2-3 months to see what it's like and I realized it's just not worth it - not in any way superior than the private server experience.

And the more I played Vanilla, my first MMORPG since 2006, the more I realized that living in the past is more dangerous than many other things. You desperately want to relive your past, but you just can't and you end up hating the game, yourself and a lot more.

The best thing that can be done is to fondly remember the good old days of WoW and just move on to newer, greener pastures (new and different MMOs you haven't played before that manage to click some of your buttons).

Before WoW, I used to play Diablo 2 a lot, I tried playing it recently, it just doesn't work - the game is amazing, gameplay is solid, combat is good, the ways you can advance your character are so many, but having done it before and whatnot, it just doesn't bring joy anymore.

Simply put, there is a time and place for everything, and you just can't force it when it's no longer that time or place.

I'm having an absolute blast playing Burning Crusade. Everything you said may be true to you, but is completely false to me. I'm having just as much fun. More fun questing and doing dungeons, less fun with the 1.5 to 2 hour AV queues then playing with a bunch of reres who seem hell bent on losing.

My only gripe is no server diversity, and by diversity I want a server that is 35+, 25+ at the absolute most. Maybe have a grueling test where children prove they aren't complete reres at AV or normal interactions before being allowed to play with functional adults who spend a lot of money raising and putting up with our own kids. One question would be, "Is it okay to run up to someone fighting a mob right nest to a quest object or node and just take it?" And they answer yes then they should lose internet access for 10 years minimum.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited June 2021
    After reading this i got so excited (= amazing article) yep i got the bug to play, i installed it, transferred my main to BCC, logged in and was like Yeah No... lol and uninstalled it.

I already knew BCC wasn't for me, Wrath will be the same, highly unlikely, as i played the crap outta BC and Wrath back in the day.

I missed out on Vanilla and is why i played the shit out of Classic, i was there for the og launch day and stuck around for about a month and went back to EQ2 only to watch them slowly and painfully destroy it. Then around 2008 went back to wow.

I'm totally fine in retail now that i have a solid raid team. We doing Mythic Raids now!!! Hard af and love it!!!

Overall was an excellent read thanks!!!... but no thanks :) lmao :) /pun intended :)
    Arleekitarad
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L