Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blockchain MMO's on the Rise? Here's 5 Blockchain MMO's to Follow in 2021 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageBlockchain MMO's on the Rise? Here's 5 Blockchain MMO's to Follow in 2021 | MMORPG.com

It looks like the rise of blockchain is slowly permeating within the MMO genre with new games popping up seemingly out of nowhere. There are many ways to utilize blockchain in a game, but here are 5 games that are implementing blockchain-based features that are worth keeping your eye on.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    Today's MMOs; either they are making money out of your gambling habit or making money out of your bitcoin habit.
    xpsyncsakerKyleranSamhaelMcSleazGroqstrongalin1209ashiru_1978bcbullyTheocritusand 2 others.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    This is the first time I have heard of "blockchain mmos." I'm not even sure what this means and/or how this affects gameplay/development/features, etc.
    SovrathMendelxpsyncKyleranHarikenjimmywolfmeerclarashiru_1978HJ-NavarreAnskierand 2 others.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    The word "blockchain" just filters through my brain as "scam." I would sooner buy into Star Citizen than blockchain, and that's saying something.
    MendelGdemamiTillerSpiiderxpsyncAreteosaker[Deleted User]KyleranSamhaeland 8 others.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    It would have been a little more enlightening as to what you DEFINE as "blockchain". The term has been around for a lot of years, even before MMO's. Please put that definition, in your own words into the article please.
    GdemamiHatefullLark3mZenJellyMcSleazGroqstrongHJ-Navarre

Let's party like it is 1863!

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Great, more games that will require a degree in finance to understand.

I guess it's a good thing that businesses are finding all sorts of new ways to finance development.    Now, if there were equal effort in discovering new ways to actually meet their self-established deadlines.

GdemamiScotKyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Gruug said:

It would have been a little more enlightening as to what you DEFINE as "blockchain". The term has been around for a lot of years, even before MMO's. Please put that definition, in your own words into the article please.

I think any reasonable person could figure out that the games being discussed in some way have to do with the blockchain market.

Its not an in depth on what block chain or blockchain games are even, its a few snippets about games that have to do with the blockchain genre and are meant as teasers to get people to read more on that topic, it would be nice if the article pointed back to other articles on this site for further reading however, they don't.

My take away from these games is that the player will "own" their digital property and be able to trade it with other players without violating any terms such as irl money transfers or the other side of the leaf, earn Crypto currency as they play. It certainly isn't a new concept.

Here is a decent read about Blockchain in case you were unsure what it is.

https://www.icaew.com/technical/technology/blockchain/blockchain-articles/what-is-blockchain/history

Some more reading https://101blockchains.com/history-of-blockchain-timeline/

games you can play to earn Crypto https://playtoearn.net/blockchaingames

This article speaks to Blockchain games https://www.inverse.com/gaming/blockchain-games-online-gaming

StevenWebermaskedweaselZenJelly

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110
    edited June 2021
    This is the first time I have heard of "blockchain mmos." I'm not even sure what this means and/or how this affects gameplay/development/features, etc.
    Each of the games utilizes blockchain in different ways, and I outlined roughly how it will be used for each game. 

Generally speaking, blockchain is just a series of records that are linked together. Think of it as a secure ledger of transactional data that holds the information of the changes. Every block contains information from the previous block, and are validated by a central authority, or by consensus of nodes. 

Essentially, bringing that back down to earth a bit, think of blockchain as, more or less, a secure transactional database. 

Each game utilizes blockchain in different ways. In fact, one game, 9 Chronicles is purportedly going to reside completely on the blockchain. There are a lot of complexities to that, which I won't get into here, but the game itself isn't traditionally multiplayer, so I left it out of the article. 

Now, that being said, blockchain integration is used in very specific use-cases. 

Many games use the blockchain to keep track of items.
    • When an item is part of the blockchain it is generally deemed as an NFT (non-fungible token). Essentially this just means that you can track the item from its creation, to wherever it ends up. The item you own is considered "unique" in that its creation and history is different and verifiable in comparison to all other items, even of the same type. 
    Many games use the blockchain for their currency
    • Usually in game currencies are just inherently part of the game. Blockchain games are integrating types of cryptocurrencies, usually proprietary ones, to their game that run on a blockchain, like Ethereum. Using a currency this way will provide a detailed ledger of transactions, but it will also allow for integration with electronic wallets outside of the game. 
    When a game allows you to own your virtual, unique items, and provides secure transactional data in and outside of the game, they expect to see "grey markets" pop up for their virtual goods. 

Grey markets are essentially out of game shops where people sell virtual goods. Normally, this is frowned upon in MMO's and against their terms of service, but in blockchain MMO's this is not only expected but encouraged. 

I do apologize for not explaining a lot of this in the article. The premise of today's article was to create a short list of blockchain MMO's and describe how it was being used for games in development. I didn't go into it with the idea to explain blockchain as a whole, but if the community thinks it would be beneficial to have a more in depth article on it, I would be glad to put something together.

ShutaraKyleranZenJelly
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The plague that surrounds gaming is not ONE particular gimmick it is the same one idea throughout and that is "monetization".
    ALl of these studios are opening up to make loads of money and NOT to make passionate games.
    You could make your DREAM game and still profit but there is little money in that as the trends right now are very similar.

EA to scam people 
    KS'r to scam people
    f2p to scam people
    'cash shops to scam people
    season passes to scam people

NONE and i mean NONE of these gimmicks used in 99% of the games has anything at all to do with making a great game,they ALL aim for one thing >>$$$$.

So if you ever wonder why i  constantly say "crap game" one after another it is because these studios are not even TRYING to make great games.

You think Blizzard wanted to make a BETTER great Diablo game aiming for mobile?DO you think Riot games wants to make a better Valorant moving to mobile?You think after al lthe money and years scamming Eve players they wanted to have a mobile version to make a better game?

You think Epic shut down 3 games and stopped developing FN because they wanted to focus on making a better FN?
    You think devs said no no no then now we see almost every popular game in existance has been redone and resold as a GOTY version or just some new updated reskinned version,the DEFINITIVE version!!.

You think Blizzard said no to vanilla Wow over and over then changed their mind because they thought it was good for gaming..LMAO they saw $$$$$.

The industry is one giant heap of crap,nothing but ways to scam money from gamers and i guess not surprisingly it is working !!.
    MendelsakerKidRiskdragonlee66Harikenjimmywolfsupx2ZenJellyNildendoomexand 1 other.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    edited June 2021
    All these games are the same. They aren't games. They are financial games to where the whole point is to make money. At that point, they no longer become games.

I d/l'd warriders, logged in with the junk vehicle, ran to an area that said mine, mined, then someone else who been playing with one of the pre-order vehicles blows me up in 10seconds.

So if I want to play, I have to spend 1k just to be able to play. Gotcha. I'll pass and so will the masses.

@StevenWeber I think you should have went into the cost of reasonable entry for each of these "games" actually.
    xpsyncsaker[Deleted User]Samhaeldragonlee66GdemamiHarikenjimmywolfiamspamicus
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Blockchain games are like blockchain coins and tokens. 99% scam.
    xpsyncsaker[Deleted User]GdemamiZenJelly

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110
    kilun said:
    All these games are the same. They aren't games. They are financial games to where the whole point is to make money. At that point, they no longer become games.

I d/l'd warriders, logged in with the junk vehicle, ran to an area that said mine, mined, then someone else who been playing with one of the pre-order vehicles blows me up in 10seconds.

So if I want to play, I have to spend 1k just to be able to play. Gotcha. I'll pass and so will the masses.

@StevenWeber I think you should have went into the cost of reasonable entry for each of these "games" actually.
    You're not wrong, necessarily. War Riders, and almost all of these blockchain games are considered, in some part, "Pay 2 Win". For example, the Ember Sword Land Rush going on right now, owning land could actually earn you real revenue from the game world around you. Paying enough up front, with a popular game will definitely have substantial benefits, and at some point it will become questionable if this kind of game will be sustainable if all the benefits skew towards who is spending the most.

However, they are all still, largely, in development, and I think things could change, as blockchain games mature. War Riders is probably the worst of them on this list in terms of costs associated with playing. Luckily it isn't as bad as Decentraland, where some plots of land are in the 10s of thousands of dollars.

In War Riders, you certainly can spend 1K, but you can buy vehicles for a fraction of that. Most of them are still in the 100 - 500 dollar range, for anything you'd actually want, not including accessories. Some of the early bundles were ridiculous in price, and it always amazes me when they sell out. One of them was nearly 10K dollars! Though many of them were less than 500.

I'm not saying that people should just automatically jump on the bandwagon and play these games, but these are some titles to keep an eye on. Their success or failure could be integral to how a sect of the MMO genre evolves. 

GdemamiZenJelly
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Why i play SWG:L and WOW, i can observe from the sidelines while i "play" games without a constant drain on my wallet.

I mean ok archaic i know but some people prefer to actually "play" games and not pay to pretend to play.
    sakerMendelSpiiderZenJelly
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • ChampieChampie Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited June 2021

Post edited by Champie on
    maskedweasel
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Wizardry said:

The plague that surrounds gaming is not ONE particular gimmick it is the same one idea throughout and that is "monetization".
    ALl of these studios are opening up to make loads of money and NOT to make passionate games.
    You could make your DREAM game and still profit but there is little money in that as the trends right now are very similar.

EA to scam people 
    KS'r to scam people
    f2p to scam people
    'cash shops to scam people
    season passes to scam people

NONE and i mean NONE of these gimmicks used in 99% of the games has anything at all to do with making a great game,they ALL aim for one thing >>$$$$.

So if you ever wonder why i  constantly say "crap game" one after another it is because these studios are not even TRYING to make great games.

You think Blizzard wanted to make a BETTER great Diablo game aiming for mobile?DO you think Riot games wants to make a better Valorant moving to mobile?You think after al lthe money and years scamming Eve players they wanted to have a mobile version to make a better game?

You think Epic shut down 3 games and stopped developing FN because they wanted to focus on making a better FN?
    You think devs said no no no then now we see almost every popular game in existance has been redone and resold as a GOTY version or just some new updated reskinned version,the DEFINITIVE version!!.

You think Blizzard said no to vanilla Wow over and over then changed their mind because they thought it was good for gaming..LMAO they saw $$$$$.

The industry is one giant heap of crap,nothing but ways to scam money from gamers and i guess not surprisingly it is working !!.

I'm in total agreement! This is all in-tune with where we are today in what has (I believe perfectly termed) called Necrotic-stage "capitalism".
    GdemamiZenJellyiamspamicus
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Here's a excellent related YouTube. This guy follows the many MMO scams.
    GdemamiSpiiderHarikenAnskier
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    saker said:
    Here's a excellent related YouTube. This guy follows the many MMO scams.
    Earth 2 isn't even really a game at this point, it seems like it's trying to do what Decentraland is doing.  But much worse.

Some people have spent millions in decentraland land plots. Seriously, millions of dollars. 

buuut neither of those games are on this list. The games on the list actually look like.. real games. I've played Blankos Block Party, it's actually pretty fun. If you like short party games. 

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    what the hell is a blockchain MMO?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited June 2021
    kilun said:

In War Riders, you certainly can spend 1K, but you can buy vehicles for a fraction of that. Most of them are still in the 100 - 500 dollar range, for anything you'd actually want, not including accessories. Some of the early bundles were ridiculous in price, and it always amazes me when they sell out. One of them was nearly 10K dollars! Though many of them were less than 500.

When I see numbers like these used as an example of "reasonable" spending for a game item or bundle I have to wonder if I'll have much of a future in gaming long term. 

I'm at the age when many things are starting to look overpriced or lacking in value so this sort of spending is very off-putting.

:# 
    ZenJellyFlharfhAnskieriamspamicus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    There is no way these games are going to ever make it remotely mainstream. If they were sound and good to go:

Ubisoft, EA, ActiBliz, 2K Games, would all be on board and have stuff in the works.

Instead unknown publishers, unknown developers, making games that people are jumping on board for dropping untold for what? A virtual thing that may never come to where to even begin your dropping 250 bucks.

At least in Entropia all the stuff is connected and new worlds can be created.

GdemamiZenJellyiamspamicus
  • SenbonFanSenbonFan Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Sure would be great to see someone create an actual MMO nowadays.

Even some of the older free to play MMORPGs out there at least tried sometimes. Pandora Saga to name a big one, as it drew inspiration from the "Skill Up" systems from EQ and had Atlus backing it. There was even, at one point, a game where your characters were generals in the Three Kingdoms era states and each conglomerate of guilds warred for control over the various provinces.

The Tactician Class in that game was legitimately one of the most creative things. xD

Sadly everything we get now outside of FF14, WoW, Lotro, and the Everquests seems to be garbage meant to make a quick buck.

Gdemami
  • ScorilloScorillo Member UncommonPosts: 6
    You skipped Litebringer.
    This is the closest game to an MMO
    maskedweasel
  • SKurjSKurj Member UncommonPosts: 157
    monetization.... at least some of us got to see games when the only money being made was on the actual sale of the game itself...

• SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 316
    This website is a magnet for early access, pay to win, crowd funded bullshit scams, with little else worth reading now days.

Its a forum for shit like crowfall and bless whatever they think of next for a title, and another scammers that needs to just look active to keep dumb hopeless gamers with too much money and the courts off their back. MJ, looking you assclown.

This entire EA, crowdfunded thing is completely out of control and any legit team is suffering because of it. And whilst I am ranting, china can kiss my ass too.
    KyleranGdemamiAsm0deusChampie
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I just want to play games. Does EVERYTHING need to be a hustle?
    Gdemami
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Hatefull said:

Gruug said:

I think any reasonable person could figure out that the games being discussed in some way have to do with the blockchain market.

Its not an in depth on what block chain or blockchain games are even, its a few snippets about games that have to do with the blockchain genre and are meant as teasers to get people to read more on that topic, it would be nice if the article pointed back to other articles on this site for further reading however, they don't.

My take away from these games is that the player will "own" their digital property and be able to trade it with other players without violating any terms such as irl money transfers or the other side of the leaf, earn Crypto currency as they play. It certainly isn't a new concept.

Here is a decent read about Blockchain in case you were unsure what it is.

https://www.icaew.com/technical/technology/blockchain/blockchain-articles/what-is-blockchain/history

Some more reading https://101blockchains.com/history-of-blockchain-timeline/

games you can play to earn Crypto https://playtoearn.net/blockchaingames

This article speaks to Blockchain games https://www.inverse.com/gaming/blockchain-games-online-gaming

Since the premise of the article was that MMO were using blockchain, it would be natural to assume that a BRIEF description of blockchain would also be included for where the article was coming from. Not everyone is in tune with what blockchain is all about nor are they that inclined to just look it up.

Let's party like it is 1863!