Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO Expansion Launch Are You Playing Tomorrow? | MMORPG.com

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    TBCC! 

There is no competition here. We know the real winner! :) 
    blamo2000

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2021
    Sovrath said:

Albatroes said:

Its just funny how big developers dont just bite the short-term bullet and make new mmorpgs when the re-release of a 15 year old expansion is big news. Crowdfunded mmorpgs aren't a threat at all once people realize that mmorpgs live or die on their post-launch plans and monetization. EA could easily make a Dragon Age/Mass Effect mmorpg that would make a huge dent on the scene given how little real competition there is atm. Hell, I bet Capcom's shutdown Dragon's Dogma mmorpg would do well atm.

Oh no! They shut down Dragon's Dogma? I was hoping they'd bring it here. Oh well ...

Yeah, I think they shut it down a few years ago because it seemed too much like FFXIV? They didn't have the mob climbing aspect, so I guess it wasn't unique enough or something.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Rerolled on a new Classic WOW server in prep for TBC.  I'm excited for it and will be even more excited for WOTLK.  After that there will be no reason to play classic unless they create new content.
    blamo2000
  • FunkyMunky42FunkyMunky42 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Bleakwood sounds great. But...lately I've noticed that I log in to ESO for a bit, enjoy the new areas, tinker with crafting, then I drop it. Not sure, it may just be that outside of the new areas to experience, I'm not much into the game anymore. played too much back in the day.

But BC is going to allow me to enjoy one of my most favorite expansions again, So Ill probably spend the bulk of my time there. ESO will get some love though, even if fleeting...they are tops when it comes to story and plot. It just means more fun for all of us.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Ungood said:
    Playing Hardcore Permadeath Dungeons and Dragons Online right now.

If you want to know what real fear of death is, this will show you, the higher you go, the more scary the game becomes.. Permadeath, for those that are not chicken shits.
    Well, that definitely takes care of that too much reincarnation discussion we had the other day.  Or can you reincarnate?  What are the rules on spending in the cash shop or the daily dice? 

This is very interesting.  Especially considering the lack of pvping in DDO.  I somehow missed this.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    templarga said:
    I am playing and enjoying WOW classic. Its refreshing - no loot boxes, no extra currency to manage, just login and play. For me, this is what I was missing. Simple and straight-forward.

If and when I stop playing it, I will focus on single player RPGs.
    The crazy thing is that it is so much more complex rpg-wise than modern wow or modern mmorpgs.  
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,424
    Ungood said:

If you want to know what real fear of death is, this will show you, the higher you go, the more scary the game becomes.. Permadeath, for those that are not chicken shits.

While that might be interesting, it should also be 100% optional. Because that shit can warp psyche. Besides warping how you play / design characters(often boring, safe even when you are aware of what you'd find fun). It's difficult to say whether I'd be this perfectionist(in a nonchalant way, ofc) without influence of Diablo and Guild Wars.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Neither, waiting for New World Beta on July 20th. Playing Dying Light and maybe Days Gone after until then.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited June 2021
    Moodsor said:
    Blackwood, mainly for the story and companions, i play the game as a single player game, the combat keeps me away from its MMO elements as I feel its clunky.
    I'm new to ESO so still a bit confused over what my sub buys in terms of expansion content.

After Blackwood releases do I automatically get access to most Greymore content?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Bought an Xbox Series X instead. Replayed the heck out of Skyrim and Fenyx Immortal Rising. Next MMO I will buy is New World.

MS did put a tweet out there, that ESO servers are going to be upgraded in the future. They are struggling to do 200v200 and at launch they used to do 600v600. If Cyrodiil gets fixed so it's not a laggy mess. I will buy their expansion then.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Kyleran said:
    Moodsor said:
    Blackwood, mainly for the story and companions, i play the game as a single player game, the combat keeps me away from its MMO elements as I feel its clunky.
    I'm new to ESO so still a bit confused over what my sub buys in terms of expansion content.

After Blackwood releases do I automatically get access to most Greymore content?
    With your sub you have access to everything but the latest expansion. 
    Kyleran
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    ESO all the way. I'm excited for it. My bear warden + a companion will be crazy.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:

Yes. You don't get access to the latest/current expansion with the sub but all previous expansions do become available with sub when a new one drops.
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    edited June 2021
    blamo2000 said:
    Ungood said:

Well, that definitely takes care of that too much reincarnation discussion we had the other day.  Or can you reincarnate?  What are the rules on spending in the cash shop or the daily dice? 

This is very interesting.  Especially considering the lack of pvping in DDO.  I somehow missed this.
    Ok.. to answer a few questions.

You can reincarnate, because you don't technically die in game doing this.

You cannot Resurrect in any manner, this includes the death in the shroud, that is fatal, and you should not trust in the shroud on hardcore. Siberys Spirt Cakes, Spells, Shrines, none of it works.

As far as the store goes, You can buy whatever you want from the store, however, Otto boxes are not for sale, and even Iconics start you at level 1.

You get Daily Dice, and the EXP stones work. Kinda a slow way to level, unless you go with Gold rolls.

You only get 1 life, period, if you were a 6 life TR and fumbled a trap and died, you just died, game over, so, keep that in mind on the fear factor. There are a few TR's around, and it's always painful when you see them die.

Yes, who died, and how and at what level, get broadcasted. 

The whole game is built off a leaderboard of Reaper Exp & Favor. Which means, your level, and all that jazz mean absolutely nothing regarding your standing in the game, what gets your reward is how much reaper exp you earn & Favor. Max level is 4 levels above the quest before you can no longer go in the quest at all, that means, no back clearing favor.

There is a mimic event going on that starts at level 3, so.. level 3 and above, the chests can be the deadliest thing in the dungeon.. you have been warned.

blamo2000
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Gorwe said:
    Ungood said:

While that might be interesting, it should also be 100% optional. Because that shit can warp psyche. Besides warping how you play / design characters(often boring, safe even when you are aware of what you'd find fun). It's difficult to say whether I'd be this perfectionist(in a nonchalant way, ofc) without influence of Diablo and Guild Wars.
    It is 100% optional.

It's the DDO Hardcore Event, and to partake, you have to go to the Hardcore server where you can test your gaming chops. You start 100% fresh, on what counts as a new server, and go from there.

So if we met on the hardcore server, we would be on very equal footing, and my only real advantage over you, would be my game knowledge.

If at any time you get tired of visiting the land of the lost souls every time you step wrong, you can go back to the normal servers, where death's sting is not that bad, it's all on what you want.
    blamo2000
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I'm playing all of the expansions at once for Crusader Kings II. All of the accumulated DLC over the years costs about $280 with a package discount, or about $140 when they have a big Steam sale, which is an awful lot of money to pay for a game up front. So Paradox added a $5/month subscription option to get everything.

Yes, it's a single-player game. But I'm fine with $5/month to get full access to absolutely everything with no other item mall on top of it.
    KyleranUngood
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I'm playing City of Heroes Homecoming.

Says a lot about the MMORPG genre when one of the biggest things happening is a 15 year old expansion.
    Kyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited June 2021
    TheAmir said:
    Neither.

ESO's combat is too awful and the lack of an AH makes it a pass for me.

I've already played TBC to death and I also don't want to give money to (modern) Blizzard.
    Just so you know there is an auction house of a sorts in ESO, an external web page which lists all of the items available on the public guild traders which I use regularly to locate what I need or sell my best gear.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    None of the above, having fun with SWTOR and EQ2.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Nilden said:
    I'm playing City of Heroes Homecoming.

Says a lot about the MMORPG genre when one of the biggest things happening is a 15 year old expansion.

CoH has so many features that other games still don't have it speaks about how amazing the game was and is.
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Black Desert Online. Saw PA's sales and dove in. The world is amazing. Clearly a very strong solo mmorpg experience. :D
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,071
    edited June 2021

Jimmydean said:

Shadowbringers

My man. image

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,071
    edited June 2021
    dang it, EVERY time

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    going to sub and play ESO for expansion,