Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies Restoration 3 Server Launches Today, Addresses 'Systemic Problems' From Live Game

2»

Comments

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Very interesting, good mix of features and intent. I like the philosophy/idea behind it, might give it a spin.

They also seem to be victim of their success right now (degraded website/servers due to high traffic). This shows nicely both the gaping hole that modern MMOs don't manage to fill and the nostalgia for the style of the old SWG's design.

Hopefully the devs have some thick skin and are able to ignore all the whining and bitching that seems to be on the rise already with the degraded server response. Let's not forget these guys are doing this as a hobby.
    HJ-Navarre

Eva-01 said:

ReaperUk said:

Raagnarz said:

I've never played Star Wars Galaxies but it looks like it was a great game. I almost want to give this a try but I know there's going to be a cease and desist letter going out and it's going to get shutdown so why bother.

Why would they get one when Legends server and SWGemu server are still up and running and have been forever. If one gets a C&D then they all will. But seemingly no one cares anymore. Sony actually blessed the EMU and Legends server to my knowledge quite some time ago.

I haven't played either of those two but understood they had designed their software so that people had to own the original game to use them. Restoration 3 is providing everything for free with no requirement to actually own a legal copy of the game.

Not really. You dont have to, you can easily go to the SWG subreddit, and find a copy there on the sidebar and play legends and SWGemu.

Big difference is where the responsability lays from a legal standpoint. Totally unsure about this one, but it could be a gamble by the restoration team... let's keep fingers crossed.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The site is still messed up today.  It took overnight for the site to send an email registration message.  Maybe when the errors are sorted out, I'll give it a try; I've always wanted to play this game.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• zacho56zacho56 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Site is broken. Can't load main page properly and trying to register just gives me the "TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS" error...
    zacho56 said:
    Site is broken. Can't load main page properly and trying to register just gives me the "TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS" error...
    They are aware and working on rebuilding the site. Their provider completely collapsed under the 20x more traffic then they've had in the last year or so :hushed:
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    zacho56 said:
    They are aware and working on rebuilding the site. Their provider completely collapsed under the 20x more traffic then they've had in the last year or so :hushed:
    I figured it was something like that lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Does this mean mmorpg.com will start covering other private servers from other games?
    [Deleted User]KimoMustikos
     I've been here a while...
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited May 2021
    MikeB said:

mcrippins said:

I can't help but wonder if this is what everyone wanted. The pre-NGE skill set with all of the good things from CU. I know a lot of people loved Jump to Lightspeed (although I never played it). Definitely going to check this out.

This is exactly what I wanted. I distinctly remember how much I loved the improvements made to the game in CU and how the NGE release only months later ruined all the solid work they had done getting the game into a much better place. Tons of good content and features came to SWG post-NGE, but gameplay wise, CU was the best the game had ever been.
    It feels exactly the same. I got to play quite a bit last night and it was awesome.

The issue is, for the stress test they had several hundred people show up, for the launch about 3 times that number showed up. So the web host literally died. No one could create characters, no one could log in.

That has been fixed. However, since there are so many people playing lag is insane, and they are working on that. The server is down this morning trying to get fixes in place so new accounts can be created (the last count, over 2K unique accounts had been created) but something went wrong with the e-mail server so people not could create accounts again. That is being worked on right now.

It is very much like the original SWG launch, once things get smoothed out and Mos Eisley isn't as insanely overpopulated as it is currently it will be a much smoother start for new players.

I will say, from what I have seen the community in-game is being super helpful there are people grinding Entertainer, and by the end of the week I suspect crafters will start having terminals up, and sooner than that the GCW will be kicking, the Reb/Imp smack talk has been strong.

You do not need a copy of the disks to play this version, once the site is up you can DL everything right from there. The Devs do not make a profit, but they accept donations to help cover the cost of keeping the servers up.

See you in-game. MTFBWY.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    I'll stick with SWG:L but will monitor this for sure.

If you kept the base install it's very easy to try other SWG EMU's, which i tried so many when i got started in emu'ing swg legends. I have 3 years invested there hard to start over with a who knows how it will go server.

Glad they did this though sounds solid, and as i mentioned will keep this on my radar.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited May 2021
    This version may become pretty popular since you don't need to go hunting for original SWG install disks or the download files to actually play it. You don't even need to install a separate copy of the original game.  Everything is right in their installer on their google files site. Honestly it's the easiest emulator to install and play. I still have the original game boxes, but those will continue to collect dust.
    Hatefull
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

UPDATE

Later yesterday afternoon the servers came online after having issues all weekend. Things are moving far more smoothly now. People are able to create accounts, log in and continue playing.

The GCW is in the beginning stages, with Dog fights happening in space already, it looks like we will have a player-made city this evening at the latest tomorrow. So far the server is ramping up nicely, we will see how the population stabilizes after the honeymoon period is over.

Still, a great time to jump in!
    Scorchien

• Randomuser2020876Randomuser2020876 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Ya know, everyone always worries about someone ceasing and desisting because of Star Wars, but noone ever thinks about the music companies coming for them ( since providing a downloadable client means distribution of copyrighted music and we know how the RIAA hates that ).
    Hatefull
    Ya know, everyone always worries about someone ceasing and desisting because of Star Wars, but noone ever thinks about the music companies coming for them ( since providing a downloadable client means distribution of copyrighted music and we know how the RIAA hates that ).
    Its abandoned code, the music is attached to this abandoned code, therefore I have a very hard time believing:

1. Anyone cares anymore. The SWG EMU has been around since what? 2005? and not a word has been said to them about anything.

2. They would stand a chance in court if it came to that. I know exactly who owns the SW IP, can you tell me who owns the SWG code at this point? It started with SOE (Sony online entertainment) but they sold all their assets to DBG (Day Break Games) who somewhat recently was bought by yet another gaming investment group (cannot remember the name) however, SWG was not on the list of transferred assets. 

So, who knows?

Anyway, CU is awesome!

• Randomuser2020876Randomuser2020876 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Hatefull said:
    Its abandoned code, the music is attached to this abandoned code, therefore I have a very hard time believing:

1. Anyone cares anymore. The SWG EMU has been around since what? 2005? and not a word has been said to them about anything.

2. They would stand a chance in court if it came to that. I know exactly who owns the SW IP, can you tell me who owns the SWG code at this point? It started with SOE (Sony online entertainment) but they sold all their assets to DBG (Day Break Games) who somewhat recently was bought by yet another gaming investment group (cannot remember the name) however, SWG was not on the list of transferred assets. 

So, who knows?

Anyway, CU is awesome!
    You seem to be mistaking code and music for the same thing. They are not. The owner of the Star Wars IP, and even the SWG code, is not the owner of the MUSIC. John Williams, ever heard? Plus more.

The fact that emu's made players find their own copy of the original game meant the emu owners were not only protected against suits for redistribution of code ( not including flat out stolen server code, not reverse engineered, which all NGE emu servers use via leaked source code ), but they were also protected against the music industry hitting them for piracy.  Whether Disney gives a flying crap about SWG code doesn't matter. What matters is if the owners of the Star Wars music now being freely distributed care.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Been playing since launch and I have to say the devs have done an insanely great job. They had trouble at the start, but since then it's been a really fun experience. I feel like they've married together the best of both worlds. Definitely worth a try. Sadly my friends won't play simply because of dated graphics, but the gameplay is better than most MMOs these days (imo).
    HatefullScorchien
    Hatefull said:

So, who knows?

Anyway, CU is awesome!
    You seem to be mistaking code and music for the same thing. They are not. The owner of the Star Wars IP, and even the SWG code, is not the owner of the MUSIC. John Williams, ever heard? Plus more.

The fact that emu's made players find their own copy of the original game meant the emu owners were not only protected against suits for redistribution of code ( not including flat out stolen server code, not reverse engineered, which all NGE emu servers use via leaked source code ), but they were also protected against the music industry hitting them for piracy.  Whether Disney gives a flying crap about SWG code doesn't matter. What matters is if the owners of the Star Wars music now being freely distributed care.
    You're pretty full of yourself aren't you little guy?

Yes, I completely understand the difference between code and music as you are using it in this instance. And I am saying you are wrong. What you don't seem to understand is common sense. John Williams sold the rights to the music used in the game when he agreed to sell it with the game. I turn the music off anyway, but in certain places, you are forced to hear it and I do not recall hearing any of the original music.

Glad you brought an NGE discussion to a discussion about CU, so already irrelevant, however, I will say as rabid as the music industry is about copyright infringement, if there were a case there it would have already gone down. Again, common sense.

Also, and again, this is a discussion about a CU server, not NEG or Pre-CU, go learn what those things mean before you post again. Thanks.
    Sensai

mcrippins said:
    Been playing since launch and I have to say the devs have done an insanely great job. They had trouble at the start, but since then it's been a really fun experience. I feel like they've married together the best of both worlds. Definitely worth a try. Sadly my friends won't play simply because of dated graphics, but the gameplay is better than most MMOs these days (imo).
    I agree, it's hard to find a game nowadays that has the depth and breadth that this game has. For an old game, it certainly is a breath of fresh air.
    Scorchien

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2021
     20th Century Fox/Disney.. still owns rights to most of the original Star Wars music, John Williams owns rights to the compositions. While they can hand out copyright strikes, it's rare and would be a pain in the ass and pointless to enforce for a video game since the music exists in the game files. It might be touchy since they are redistributing those files in their launcher, but I doubt they will do anything.

Now they can enforce it in streaming or Youtube videos since  it's being used to share with a wider audience, but again this rarely happens unless you generate revenue from it and/or tons of views.

/TLDR I doubt anyone will come after them for it.

Mendel
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Tiller said:
     20th Century Fox/Disney.. still owns rights to most of the original Star Wars music, John Williams owns rights to the compositions. While they can hand out copyright strikes, it's rare and would be a pain in the ass and pointless to enforce for a video game since the music exists in the game files. It might be touchy since they are redistributing those files in their launcher, but I doubt they will do anything.

Now they can enforce it in streaming or Youtube videos since  it's being used to share with a wider audience, but again this rarely happens unless you generate revenue from it and/or tons of views.

/TLDR I doubt anyone will come after them for it.

Along with the IP and music, Disney also owns the rights to characters and places that feature prominently in SWG -- Han Solo, Jabba, Mos Eisley, and probably others (I'm still a newb there).  Should they determine that a new direction is needed for the characters in their IP, they *could* move to 'clean up' their canon in any form that it takes.

Lucas already altered it so Han didn't shoot first, done to make the character fit a specific moral vision.  Disney lawyers could descend at any moment to enforce whatever change they wanted to their IP.  It is a threat that even legitimate SW merchandise (books, comics, movies, games, etc.) have to live with.

E.g., if corporate ever decides that Jabba is secretly the first partially-successful experiment at a trans-species individual (and Palpatine's great-grandfather), existing licensees might have to incorporate these changes, no matter how costly (or silly) or they might release the law offices of Kraken & Kraken!  (formerly Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe from other jokes (and various Three Stooges sources)).

It is unlikely that Disney would ever do that, but they do control the IP and how it is used and presented.  There's a lot of power in that.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.