Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained's Mark Jacobs Talks Delays, Refunds and Rival Game AoC During Q&A Stream | MMORPG.

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageCamelot Unchained's Mark Jacobs Talks Delays, Refunds and Rival Game AoC During Q&A Stream | MMORPG.com

Camelot Unchained saw a little bit of a slow down in communication in the past couple of months, and in the latest Twitch Livestream, Lead Designer Mark Jacobs explains what prompted the delay, and when the team will return to form.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Are we there yet?

At this point... do we even know what "there" looks like yet?
    BabuinixNildenvelimiriusGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Are we there yet?

TBH with crowdfunded games I don't think there ever will be a "there" to get to. I think it's just going to get to a point where either the money runs dry or it's good enough and then they'll flip a switch and say "we're here". 

I don’t believe many of these kind of mmos have a roadmap worth the pixels in their roadmap jpeg. 
    YashaXScotGdemami

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    well the biggest thing they proved is AAA mmo are not easy to copy paste no mater how half ass we think they are, indie KS can't even make a niche worth mention yet.
    YashaX[Deleted User]Scotrensta

• ILLISETILLISET Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Game looks like shit. 
    GatsuZerkvelimiriusMaurgrimViper482ashiru_1978
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I'd like for MJ to deliver SOMETHING worth playing even if it doesn't include everything that was promised.

I fear he may hate us all too much now though to give us even the slightest satisfaction.

• Randomuser2020876Randomuser2020876 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Noone makes excuses quite like Mark Jacobs.
    KyleranViper482Gdemami
  • UOliteUOlite Member CommonPosts: 3
    Mark is a worm.
    Viper482
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Besides Caspian, I have never seen some one speak like Mark Jacobs and just feel he is lying through his teeth. Shame on anyone who gives him one penny. I would love to know who these "investors" are who funded his scam company.
    Viper482Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Besides Caspian, I have never seen some one speak like Mark Jacobs and just feel he is lying through his teeth. Shame on anyone who gives him one penny. I would love to know who these "investors" are who funded his scam company.
    He has said who they were.  Himself, his sister and she is part of an investment group that put in millions (I believe the Dell group).
    YashaXKidRisk

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2021
    I do not share his sentiment on wanting all developers to succeed.
    I want good games and do NOT enjoy seeing really bad games,cheap lazy low budget games making a lot of money while other harder working studios can barely stay afloat.

In other words i do not like seeing low effort being rewarded.A real obvious one in the past couple years,TemTem a complete garbage game,crappy effort ,in reality just a Pokemon go App ripoff.

THIS game is also a joke to me and looks like the first year of development.Nobody should invest in this or have any hope of a quality game.
    Scot

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    One of those games I'm interested in, but no longer actively monitoring until something truly significant happens.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]obiiViper482Agent_Joseph

I self identify as a monkey.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Oh this is the guy that was working on a second game with the crowdfunding, right?
    [Deleted User]velimiriusViper482Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Albatroes said:
    Oh this is the guy that was working on a second game with the crowdfunding, right?
    Which doesn't exactly seem to be going all that well either.
    [Deleted User]velimiriusGdemamiAlbatroes

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Are we there yet?

Your guess is as good as mine. 8+ years in, no release in sight, so not gonna be 9, maybe 10? I doubt it.

11 years and then a release? 12?

Honestly would it surprise anyone if all these crowdfunded/kickstarer MMOs ended up still being in development 15 years in? Still with no release date in sight.

Forget a destination they are milking every penny out of just driving that way at 1/10th to  1/4 the speed limit and constantly circling back with no GPS lost as hell most of the time.

Heck these big brains thought it would be an awesome idea to get another car on the road.

Then they mention 90 day plans and roadmaps and... what was this Q&A stream about AoC rival oh come on you joke, wtf was Chamelot Unchained planning? To have some actual gameplay footage? Maybe a server on 24/7?

Rival like this guy is showing anything to rival Ashes of Creation. Don't make me laugh.

You know what would be awesome to show is some actual progress.

Hopefully after they all get vaxed and things get back on track we will see something from this. 

I stopped after the number one thing on his list was rain. Next up snow. That's what will be next.

Oh boy. 
    Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    they playing the long con and waiting for kickstarter itself to go under so they won't have to refund when they don't deliver.

I don't actually think that is happening, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone actually tries it.
    BruceYeeGdemami
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Next:
    We are facing some delays because of getting back to office.
    Everyone had to find his desk again and the coffee kitchen had to be cleaned before starting work
    BruceYeevelimirius[Deleted User]

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    He used this kickstarter to fund development of his proprietary engine that he is hoping to market. The game is obviously a demo of the engine at this point. The good news is he is so incompetent I doubt his engine will ever be completed either.
    Gdemami
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

ILLISET said:

Game looks like shit. 

What game? That trash like an Early Alpha test for a Pre Alpha test. I feel sorry for everyone that got scammed by this vaporware/shovelware that will never release and the "developer" having the audacity to discuss other games. This guy first has to release a game, make sure it's even remotely successful and at least 50% of the population is satisfied with it, and then open his yapper talking about other games.
    Viper482Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    "Jacobs explains that, while the office will be open so that the CSE team can get back into the studio, he isn’t forcing anyone to come back in if they don’t feel comfortable."

This sounds like readying an excuse for delays, is he saying they can't just carry on working from home on a video game project?
    Gdemami
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

ILLISET said:

Game looks like shit. 

What game? That trash like an Early Alpha test for a Pre Alpha test. I feel sorry for everyone that got scammed by this vaporware/shovelware that will never release and the "developer" having the audacity to discuss other games. This guy first has to release a game, make sure it's even remotely successful and at least 50% of the population is satisfied with it, and then open his yapper talking about other games.

Yep....and he has the nerve to tell us the "game" is in beta lol
    [Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    edited May 2021
    Soon coming up to 10 years of development?

Something obviously went wrong, unless there is something truly innovative going on.

10 years of development is not good for any game due to technical progression, your project will simply become outdated.

This seems like there was a very large disconnect between project scope and development time. Essentially bad project management.

There is no real excuse, not for a project with this kind of investment and time gone into it.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • MazenealMazeneal Member UncommonPosts: 143

Wizardry said:

I do not share his sentiment on wanting all developers to succeed.

I want good games and do NOT enjoy seeing really bad games,cheap lazy low budget games making a lot of money while other harder working studios can barely stay afloat.

In other words i do not like seeing low effort being rewarded.A real obvious one in the past couple years,TemTem a complete garbage game,crappy effort ,in reality just a Pokemon go App ripoff.

THIS game is also a joke to me and looks like the first year of development.Nobody should invest in this or have any hope of a quality game.

Then you have a narrow view of what it means to be successful, or a biased way of perception. Why would you assume that anyone wishing a person, or group of individuals, "to be successful" they meant only financially? Being successful is something that should permeate throughout all endeavors, as not only accompanying goals as you complete them, but also as a part of a mindset and work ethic, something to strive for and rarely allow it's meaning to be defined by others. It is consumers that do any "rewarding" as you put it.
    KyleranGdemami
    tzervo said:
    Scot said:
    "Jacobs explains that, while the office will be open so that the CSE team can get back into the studio, he isn’t forcing anyone to come back in if they don’t feel comfortable."

This sounds like readying an excuse for delays, is he saying they can't just carry on working from home on a video game project?
    Nah, that's pretty standard these days. In my company they are also preparing to open the office (also in soft. engineering), but only for anyone that wants to go there and feels comfortable going back.
    My firm opened the office two weeks ago making it voluntary for anyone to go back in to help shake out the new protocols.

Fun stops soon as next week a formal schedule rotation of a few days a week goes in place where everyone has been asked to go in at least once to get familiar with new seating plan (hotelling now, no assigned seats.)

The plan is to have all staff coming in on rotation in early July unless they have a Dr verified exception not to.

Oh yeah,  two days after our return to work they announced  those who had been vaccinated didn't have to wear masks in the office  anymore which was welcome news for those of us who came in.

The business world is definitely pushing hard to get back to "normal" which means coming back into the office some significant amount of time for "reasons", real or imagined.

;)

[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I still say, all these games could learn a lot from Crowfall.

Put out an Alpha, place holders, missing classes, missing races, not all the loot/gear/stuff is there, missing combat animations.. just out something playable, so players can see what you have.

And While, I realize that Crowfall will not be the game for me, I am glad I spent the money supporting it, I played it, I watched it evolve, and I will defend it's validity as an MMO, fearlessly, because, I can log in and play.. right now, today.

If other MMO's did the same, we would not be having these discussions.
    GdemamiBruceYee[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    I still say, all these games could learn a lot from Crowfall.

Put out an Alpha, place holders, missing classes, missing races, not all the loot/gear/stuff is there, missing combat animations.. just out something playable, so players can see what you have.

And While, I realize that Crowfall will not be the game for me, I am glad I spent the money supporting it, I played it, I watched it evolve, and I will defend it's validity as an MMO, fearlessly, because, I can log in and play.. right now, today.

If other MMO's did the same, we would not be having these discussions.
    Still not released yet, still not past it's final wipe, long after any promises it would be, so still an indefensible fail to date.

Gdemami