Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Dreamworld Situation Is Looking Like a Mess | MMORPG.com

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    He received i believe was 60 thousand dollars.I am sure the two thought they could maybe get over 100k and figured once they get it they disappear.
    As pointed out in their KS'r all the ypromised was an Alpha release which they have done.However then the argument as to what is considered an Alpha?

Is there any legal documents anywhere that state what an Alpha should be>>>nope.So yo ucan see how slack the laws are with gaming,we are decades away from having enough good laws behind gaming.

So it comes down to proving these asshats knowingly were trying to con people of their money,making fraudulent claims.Never going to happen but they MIGHT run into trouble with Ycombinator whom i beleive might have invested some money with them but not sure of their exact partnership.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171

IceAge said:

Almost all Kickstarter MMO's are a scam.

Yes yes, SC included!

In before "NOT TRUE!!!"

Well .. prove me wrong.

You're making the accusation. Prove yourself right.

Guilty until proven innocent isn't the standard our society goes by.
    Gdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

IceAge said:

Yes yes, SC included!

In before "NOT TRUE!!!"

Well .. prove me wrong.

You're making the accusation. Prove yourself right.

Guilty until proven innocent isn't the standard our society goes by.
    The normal standard is that the one who wants to be paid must deliver the proof.

Innocent until guilty is only in criminal trials. It's not for trading.
    ArglebargleGdemamiIceAge

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    edited May 2021
    Iselin said:
    And yet $65K were raised by this scam. Gamers are very easy marks apparently even when the scam is so obvious.
    Gamers pay for loot boxes and other gambling in gaming, pre-orders, early access to games that actually declare themselves as half finished, they are whales who support abusive cash shops. I think game developers realised gamers were an easy mark many years ago.
    KyleranMcSleaz
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    So it's like those semi genuine game adverts you get on facebook that is ran by 3 8 year olds that copy and pasted afew things.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    IceAge said:

Yes yes, SC included!

In before "NOT TRUE!!!"

Well .. prove me wrong.
    Ungood said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    For the curious, I put a massively link on how much mmorpg manage to raise through kickstarter.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/10/09/perfect-ten-kickstarter-mmos-that-raised-the-most-money/
    Cool List.

Going down:
    The Repopulation: currently in Early Access/playable state - Win.

Zenith: Slated to be Released this Year - We shall see, but still - Fail.

Adventure Quest 3D - Launched/playable. - Win.

TemTem - Released/Launched - Win.

Dual Universe - Currently in a Beta/Playable state - Win

City of Titans - Currently Not Playable - Fail.

Chronicles of Elyria - Direct Scam - Fail

Crowfall - Currently in a Alpha/Playable state - Win.

Shroud of the Avatar - Launched/Released - Win.

Elite: Dangerous - Launched/Released - Win.

Star Citizen - Still in Development/Not Playable - Progress being made but still - Fail.

Camelot Unchained - Still in Development/Not Playable - Progress being made but still - Fail.

Hex - Launched/Released - Win.

Ashes of Creation - Still in Development, Supposedly Playable State - Progress being Made but still - Fail

So.. break down: 14 total projects.

We have 8 games in a playable state, that count as Wins.

We have 6 games that are not in a playable state that count as Fails.

Of the 6 games that failed, We have 1 game that was a direct Scam and 1 game that just vanished into Vaporware.

So.. when you look at it, this is not that bad pretty good.

Only one was a direct Scam.

Which bring us back to Kickstarter's role in all this, how would Kickstarter know, out of these 14 projects, which one was the direct scam during the funding phrase?

(Revised as data provided by Rhoklaw about Dual Universe being in a playable state)
    (Revised as data provided by DafAtRandom about Hex, having launched)

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7659607#Comment_7659607
    [Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited May 2021
    MMOByte covered this "game" several times.

[Edit]

Nvm, it was another company that tried to bribe him.
    Post edited by Bloodaxes on

So far Atlas and valheim are the two best Early access games and that is not saying a lot.

We also need to realize....understand what EARLY access should mean to further dissect the results.

We also need to realize that if a studio is collecting money for their so called early access product it is FINAL,it is a for sale item and should be deemed as such a completed product.
    Operations like Chris Robert's are abusing and exploiting the early access phrase to further profit over long periods while never being judged as a completed game.

I am going to wake SOME people up.For over 20 years developers were releasing games as FINISHED products but still continued to develop them,they were not looking for scams or excuses they simply continued development w/o any nonsense attached.

You would have to be living under a rock to not see how greedy scam trends are implemented then most others jump on that very bandwagon.So now they are all doing it,a way to sell a half assed product that is only worth maybe $15 but can maybe squeak out 30 PRETENDING there will be some continued development.

The legit releases are only avoiding the EA tag ebcause they want MORE,closer to 60-90 bucks for their games,otherwise i bet we would see every single studio using the EA claim as a COP OUT.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited May 2021
    Every single developer wants a crutch to fall back on if their game is called out for many bugs or crashes/fails.
    You can bet everyday these studios are thinking about ways to con the consumer and ways to make more money from monetization.Studios are NOT thankful for earning a very good living,they are only more greedy and never give back to the community that makes them rich.
    That is the way real life works outside the gaming world,you help someone they appreciate it and help you back,develoeprs apparently need a lesson in morals.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited May 2021
    Overthinking this.

They literally said their game was every genre, every style, every game type.

Did anyone really need to look further than that?   I think this was done as a joke because that is what the Kickstarter reads like.  Millions of players on one server. They have backing from the biggest Silicon Valley VC but just need your $10,000...

And 663 people gave them money.  7 people gave then 2 thousand each....

I think I have to blame our education system...  Nobody over the age of 10 should have fallen for this one.  Critical thinking is vanishing in our population.

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    ScotGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    You just have to remember that this isn't a "sit at your keyboard and run software" type of game.  It's a "get some popcorn and read about how it falls apart" type of game.
    KyleranTacticalZombehFlharfh
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Wizardry said:

A nice little video with reveal of the Alpha..lol.I think these two guys are going to disappear and i expect some legal action might be incoming.IDC if their wording of delivering only an Alpha meets KS'r legal terms it doesn't meet mine or anyone else's because imo they were knowingly trying to deceive the public to get money from naive people.

The alpha actually looks better than I expected, I am more blown away by that Skiazos fellow, quite the doofus it seems.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    Mars_OMG said:
    Diamond ring.

The idea that we should base our judgment of a guys ability to deliver a game based on what his ex says is farcical. This game has so many red flags going up around it that her comments are also superfluous.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    "I'm making a cool video game. I promise to release an alpha."

How could you be so ignorant to donate your money to this?!
    Gdemami
    Mars_OMG said:
    Star Citizen - Still in Development/Not Playable - Progress being made but still - Fail.

Star Citizen - Alpha : Playable. 
    So it has an Playable Alpha now? Congrats.. that does not change that post, given when it was made, it was valid.
    Gdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited May 2021
    Ungood said:
    Mars_OMG said:

So it has an Playable Alpha now? Congrats.. that does not change that post, given when it was made, it was valid.
    It has had a "playable" alpha build available to all backers since October 2013 in the form of the Hangar Module. And despite still a alpha It's been the most streamed and watched space game on Twitch surpassing games like NoManSky, EvE, Elite and so on :D
    Ungood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2021
    Babuinix said:
    Ungood said:
    Mars_OMG said:

It has had a "playable" alpha build available to all backers since October 2013 in the form of the Hangar Module. And despite still a alpha It's been the most streamed and watched space game on Twitch surpassing games like NoManSky, EvE, Elite and so on :D
    So more people prefer to watch other people play SC than actually play it themselves. (Instead of it being the other way around like for those other space titles you mentioned)

You put this in the "win" category?

Weird.

GdemamiYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    So more people prefer to watch other people play SC than actually play it themselves.
    Weird.
    More people prefer to stream it also. Seems to be the case with most popular games of each genre. They are the most played so they'll usually have more streamers playing it and by extension end up having more viewers.

So yeah, it's a win alright.

Weird would be thinking otherwise. B)

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited May 2021
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    So more people prefer to watch other people play SC than actually play it themselves.
    Weird.
    More people prefer to stream it also. Seems to be the case with most popular games of each genre. They are the most played so they'll usually have more streamers playing it and by extension end up having more viewers.

Star Citizen releases their total playtime occasionally. Last time was in Letter from the Chairman from Dec. 2020
      https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17936-Letter-From-The-Chairman

That total playtime is lower than what Steamcharts records for No Man's Sky or Elite: Dangerous, despite Steamcharts only recording when the game is played through Steam.

Star Citizen is really popular game to watch but that doesn't automatically make it popular game to play. Rather Star Citizen is a media circus that releases long videos of the development usually multiple times a week, focuses on cinematic experience, and is targeting specifically people who like to watch stuff.
    YashaX[Deleted User]UngoodKyleran

Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    Weird.

Star Citizen releases their total playtime occasionally. Last time was in Letter from the Chairman from Dec. 2020
      https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17936-Letter-From-The-Chairman

That total playtime is lower than what Steamcharts records for No Man's Sky or Elite: Dangerous, despite Steamcharts only recording when the game is played through Steam.

Star Citizen is really popular game to watch but that doesn't automatically make it popular game to play. Rather Star Citizen is a media circus that releases long videos of the development usually multiple times a week, focuses on cinematic experience, and is targeting specifically people who like to watch stuff.

Except that Steamchart counts having the launcher opened as playtime hugely inflating the numbers so you can't compare it with Star Citizen data directly. But you can with Twitch stats has there's several independent sources providing that info about every game :D

Babuinix said:
    Ungood said:
    Mars_OMG said:

Oh right, that was mentioned. IIRC did not accept that as being in a playable state because it was just limited time events, not continuously available, like Crowfall's Open Alpha, and Dual Universe's Open Beta.
    Gdemami

edited May 2021
    Ungood said:
    Babuinix said:
    Ungood said:
    Mars_OMG said:

Oh right, that was mentioned. IIRC did not accept that as being in a playable state because it was just limited time events, not continuously available, like Crowfall's Open Alpha, and Dual Universe's Open Beta.

What? These weren't "limited time events" lol

They released the first playable build in 2013 and it has been available to all backers since then while being updated along the years.

I dunno where you are getting your info but it's not from a reliable source lol
    Babuinix said:
    Ungood said:
    Babuinix said:
    Ungood said:
    Mars_OMG said:

They released the first playable build in 2013 and it has been available to all backers since then while being updated along the years.

You are right on this. Say what you want about SC.  I have a LOT of complaints.  But one thing you can't do is that they they have limited access.  I have had access to play 24/7  for years and years and they have regular "fly free" events where non-backers can play the game and see what's there.  I give them 100% kudos for this.

Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Babuinix said:
    Ungood said:
    Babuinix said:
    Ungood said:
    Mars_OMG said:

You are right on this. Say what you want about SC.  I have a LOT of complaints.  But one thing you can't do is that they they have limited access.  I have had access to play 24/7  for years and years and they have regular "fly free" events where non-backers can play the game and see what's there.  I give them 100% kudos for this.

Err, but how often do you actually play SC?

If not much, why, it's so "fun" or so we've been told.

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    Ungood said:
    Babuinix said:
    Ungood said:
    Mars_OMG said:

Err, but how often do you actually play SC?

If not much, why, it's so "fun" or so we've been told.

Oh I haven't bothered to load it up in a loooong time.   But it's there and any backer can play it but more importantly, prospective players can see what exists and play it themselves whenever the fly free events pop up.  No excuse for plopping down money based on a video or stream or someone's post on a forum.   
    [Deleted User]Kyleran