Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which games have the best housing systems in 2021

124»

Comments

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    edited May 2021
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    24 years later its still Ultima online ........................./end
    You need to get out more, things have changed since the bombs dropped.

:)

UO housing system has more customization and functionality than any other to date .... Fact
    I agree that UO has an extensive housing system, the problem most MMORPG players have, including myself,  is that you need to actually play Ultima Online to access it.  

Well , UO is a very challenging game and will weed out weak players rather quickly ..

Consider yourself weeded

It was challenging to my eyes when I last played at any rate, and the odd mix of creatures just outside the starting town to my suspension of disbelief.

I could deal with the latter but not the former. If they could clean their graphics up a bit it would be worth a bit of a go for me, but not as it is.

More on topic...

For housing the system I have found to be the most functional was that of Shroud of the Avatar. Most housing systems in MMORPGs have little value beyond a personal space to decorate.
    AlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I'd bump it with LotRO's recent extra step towards the right direction.
    On Bullroarer for the weekend, hopefully it'll hit live as well and soon: https://en.dcodumilieu.fr/blood-of-azog-u30-housing-preview/

They already added more hooks in the past, a few years ago allowed those hooks to be moved around in all 3 axis and rotate, now they plan to "merge" the different hook types to give more flexibility about item placing.

I don't think they will ever get rid of the hook system (probably would need a lot of rework), but if they end up merging all types into one in the future, that'll be almost the same, in practice... :) 
    AlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

UO housing system has more customization and functionality than any other to date .... Fact
    I agree that UO has an extensive housing system, the problem most MMORPG players have, including myself,  is that you need to actually play Ultima Online to access it.  

Well , UO is a very challenging game and will weed out weak players rather quickly ..

Consider yourself weeded

It was challenging to my eyes when I last played at any rate, and the odd mix of creatures just outside the starting town to my suspension of disbelief.

I could deal with the latter but not the former. If they could clean their graphics up a bit it would be worth a bit of a go for me, but not as it is.

More on topic...

For housing the system I have found to be the most functional was that of Shroud of the Avatar. Most housing systems in MMORPGs have little value beyond a personal space to decorate.
    Functionality for houses is a big deal, I think. 
    I'm not familiar with most of the other games that have been mentioned, but UO had a lot of functionality. 
    Besides as a Personal residence/ decorating, storage, get togethers, etc....
    - Merchant shop for selling
    - Craft shop
    - Guild headquarters, roleplay temples, and such 
    - Player run taverns
    - Training centers (as a set up, like the climbing walls I saw mentioned, as an example)
    (Note Here on training centers, Training is a great way for players to develop lasting friendships and trust, as well as teaching/learning the tricks of a trade.)
    - Duel and PvP tournaments, as well as such things as chess matches and other organized events
    - Rune libraries (teleportation system for the world)
    - Museums and the like for display purposes, collections, book libraries, etc.
    - UO had bulletin Boards, so a player could leave messages and notices for customers and guildmates
    - Name sign above the door for identification (Should add guild flags, if no one has yet)
    - And a place to hold general player organized get togethers (for all), like Merchant Fairs and the like. 

Anything anyone can add? 

AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Consider yourself weeded

More on topic...

I'm not familiar with most of the other games that have been mentioned, but UO had a lot of functionality. 
    - Craft shop
    - Player run taverns
    - Training centers (as a set up, like the climbing walls I saw mentioned, as an example)
    (Note Here on training centers, Training is a great way for players to develop lasting friendships and trust, as well as teaching/learning the tricks of a trade.)
    - Duel and PvP tournaments, as well as such things as chess matches and other organized events
    - UO had bulletin Boards, so a player could leave messages and notices for customers and guildmates
    - Name sign above the door for identification (Should add guild flags, if no one has yet)
    - And a place to hold general player organized get togethers (for all), like Merchant Fairs and the like. 

Anything anyone can add? 

UO has an incredible degree of sophistication and nuance in many ways compared to recent games. I didn't play it long back in the day, but still remember how that was reflected specifically in the rune books. The ability to lead a life other than adventure, such as a merchant or crafter and still have a full experience was notable.

But, I dislike being subject to the whims of others in PvP. Even with putting that aside, my vision didn't get along well with the graphics the last time I tried, which wasn't all that long ago. I doubt the game brings in enough revenue to justify releasing yet another client to spruce the visuals up further.
    AlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Consider yourself weeded

More on topic...

- Craft shop
    - Player run taverns

Anything anyone can add? 

UO has an incredible degree of sophistication and nuance in many ways compared to recent games. I didn't play it long back in the day, but still remember how that was reflected specifically in the rune books. The ability to lead a life other than adventure, such as a merchant or crafter and still have a full experience was notable.

But, I dislike being subject to the whims of others in PvP. Even with putting that aside, my vision didn't get along well with the graphics the last time I tried, which wasn't all that long ago. I doubt the game brings in enough revenue to justify releasing yet another client to spruce the visuals up further.
    Yeah, the art is getting harder and harder to accept. I still could but only because I played it for so long. And the wide open PvP was way out of control. 

I totally agree on the "sophistication and nuance." People that didn't play it, they don't understand this. And it's really hard to explain outside of just saying
    "everything affects everything else." 
    This kind of thing is what Raph Koster excels at.

I want a game made like UO, but with full 3D and expanded on the worldly aspects. 
    I also want it with deep lore based game play, with mysteries to solve (dropped in the game world for all to try), hidden stuff to find, secrets to keep, etc. 
    And, of course, an answer to the rampant PKing and other forms of grief. 
    There's some other things I'd love to see, but that's the core game I'm looking for. 

AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Still UO. One of the primary reasons is your home actually exists in the open shared world. It's not some instances solo area. You could do a lot to customize. I HATED Trammel, but they made it dramatically more customizable after. You could place everything including your doors and windows. People were making pools even lol. 

No game has come close since.
    ScorchienAlBQuirkyAmaranthar